Can I get some advice on promoting myself as a musician?

Can I get some advice on promoting myself as a musician?

I released an album a few days ago, and besides posting it on Facebook for my friends and shilling it on /mu/ I don't know what to do.
I also made a YouTube channel, but I don't really know how to gain notoriety.

I enjoy the music I make, so I want other people to enjoy it too.

Other urls found in this thread:

samweinberg3.bandcamp.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=R9hoNGZvVT8
clyp.it/e5y3qr5g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

buy advertisement with facebook twitter instagram google etc.

entertainment has some of the best conversion rates because it doesn't ask much of the viewer and provides delight .

This is a Cryptocurrency board now, sorry boyo

post a link to your album, I'm curious

sure. here it is: samweinberg3.bandcamp.com/

kind of generic, mate. Sounds like thousands of other musicians out there

>samuel
>wein
>berg
ask your tribe for a fucking loan/connection mate what are u doing here ?!

I appreciate the feedback. Thanks for listening.

Gigs are essential for networking and stream yourself playing live online:

You need a record deal to get rich, which means you need to approach labels and agents

Wow this is terrible

Also,

>weinberg

are you any good??

I like it, reminds me of Andrew Jackson Jihad. The opening track isn't the strongest one. You sound much better at track 4. I also think it would suit you if you made the lyrics more absurd. Also experiment with glitchy sounds, like the end of this:

youtube.com/watch?v=R9hoNGZvVT8

I've thought about changing my last name like how Robert Zimmerman became Bob Dylan

thanks for listening and for the feedback, man. I love AJJ

bump

music is a hard industry to crack... it's becoming more and more saturated with artists as technology continues to progress. Many would think this is a good thing, however, with this overly saturated market, it makes it difficult to establish a following.

I like the style. I think there is room to grow production-wise. Your strength is your lyrical ability... I would say you remind me of conor oberst or dylan in the sense that your beauty is in the message, not the way in which it is delivered.

As for promoting yourself, I think the best way is to meet people and get exposure through live performances. At this early stage, its the only way short of spending absurd amounts of money on advertising online.

I like it. That said, the music industry is hard to break into and advertising is either difficult, expensive, or incredibly lucky. Don't give up, but it's gonna be a rough ride.

What about the communities for whatever genre/subgenre you're in? The zines, forums, marketplaces, whatever. Getting yourself reviewed (getting good reviews)... parlay those reviews into reviews with larger outlets until you're on Pitchfork.

Soundcloud?
Tumblr?

play live every night, any venue. consider a name change, put a band together, keep writing. theres no formula for success in the music industry unless youre willing to sell out completely.

btw i enjoy the music. it's a little generic and the lyrics arent fantastic but its very listenable. best of luck weinburg

Have a back up plan. I'm serious.

I have a friend who could shred on the guitar, very good. He was in multiple bands. Well his GF got pregnant and he had to make some changes. He went to coding bootcamp, got a job right out of school. Now 2 years from learning coding he is making $120k a year as a programmer.

But anyway for the music thing. Assuming you are talented AND the music is good. Then the last part is the sale. You gotta sell it. A million times in every possible directions. That means shows, a facebook page, a twitter account, constantly shilling your new CD, getting every chance you have to charm every producer you can. It's a business game of getting your product on the shelves.

Hey man. /mu/tant here. I remember you posted the first track on a thread a while back. It's cool to see that you've made an album now. Judging from the first track I think you're
p. decent songwriting wise.You do have a lot of room to grow though imho. Some of the other tracks are generic. Keep at it though, and hopefully write less generic material over time.

also, listen to a lot of music. Broadening your palette will help you recognize if a song starts to become derivative. Again, your pretty good. you've got a good flow going.

*track 4 was the one I was referring too & recall you posting. not track one

>samweinberg3.bandcamp.com/
Why don't you find small or mid tier youtubers/twitchers who play music in the background. I'm thinking along the lines of unboxing videos or make up tutorials; things done in a montage with not a lot of talking. These creators need shit to fill up dead air.

Also, these songs seem like they would work in like a Diablo Cody movie or some similar independent work. Find local directors/producers even if it's just through craigslist.

What about playing at a Potbelly's? Ours have local talent.

Hang out in the quad at you local college campus.

So many options

Who do you write songs about/for?
What's the demographic of people who listen to music like yours?

You mention Andrew Jackson Jihad, I've never heard of them, but do some research into their fans: where they hang out, where they go.

And remember the thing that worked for every musician from Daft Punk, to Lady Gaga, all the way back to Alice Cooper, David Bowie, Marc Bolan, Little Richard (I could go on, but you get the idea): CREATE A VISUAL IMAGE THAT EMBODIES YOUR MUSIC.

Bowie did full on Commedia dell'arte styled pantomime.
Alice Cooper had chickens and guillotinnes and pillows full of feathers
Led Zeppelin had a violin bow on a guitar
Y'all need a gimmick

And like any product or message you need to think about where are the people who will be interested? What bars, coffee shops, stores? What magazines do they read? What movies do they watch? What websites do they frequent... you need to actively find them.

thanks to everyone who has given feedback and advice :)
i really appreciate it

clyp.it/e5y3qr5g

not OP but what should I do