Is it ethical to euthanize pit bulls due to them being considered violent animals?

Is it ethical to euthanize pit bulls due to them being considered violent animals?

I ask this here because it seems to be a philosophical question in nature and /pol/ is too retarded to have a discussion.

Well society already euthanizes stray dogs that nobody wants. And this happens all day in "shelters" all over the country. So the real question is: is it ethical to euthanize pit bulls based only on their breed?

No, also pit bulls are as violent as any other dog

That's quite not what the datas are saying

German shepherds have the highest bite rates though. Not the guy you were replying to but pitbulls just have a bad reputation because of niggers that raise them to be aggressive for dog fights

Just because they tend do be violent, doesn't mean that a specific dog has been/will be violent.

>is it ethical to eradicate eagles due to them being considered violent animals?
>is it ethical to eradicate lions due to them being considered violent animals

>all pitbulls are violent

>is it ethical to eradicate afroamericans due to them being considered violent animals

ud be amazed at how this would change the answers

>ethics
spooky

all data contradicts your claims.

34 U.S. dog bite-related fatalities occurred in 2015. Despite being regulated in Military Housing areas and over 700 U.S. cities, pit bulls contributed to 82% (28) of these deaths. Pit bulls make up about 6.6% of the total U.S. dog population.2
Together, pit bulls (28) and rottweilers (3), the second most lethal dog breed, accounted for 91% of the total recorded deaths in 2015. This same combination also accounted for 76% of all fatal attacks during the 11-year period of 2005 to 2015.

>Is it ethical to euthanize dog owners due to them having stinky houses and owning a threat to public safety?

ud be amazed at how this would change the answers

What I'm trying to say basically boils down to "no bad dogs just bad owners/ environments"

Seems convincing, but I wonder if there's any problem with that data? Hm.

Yeah, I'll save you the suspense, there is. There's two problems, actually. One, pit bulls are raised to be aggressive more often than other breeds, and are more frequently placed in situations where attacks are likely to occur (they're often used as guard dogs and make up the majority of dogs used in dogfighting). Their reputation also kinda works against them here, because a lot of the people who think to themselves "I should get a pit bull" don't know the first thing about dog training and aren't terribly responsible people, so a lot of pit bulls that aren't deliberately trained to be aggressive still end up that way.

Two, pit bulls are strong as fuck (particularly their jaw muscles), so bites from them are more likely to result in death than bites from most other breeds.

I agree with you that the breed should be allowed to die out or at least be restricted to people with a legitimate need, cops and so on, because their size does make them dangerous, but they're not a particularly *aggressive* breed by nature. Fuck, chihuahuas are one of the more aggressive breeds out there -- they're fucking insane -- but a chihuahua bite is a minor inconvenience. A pit bull bite is likely to kill you. And chihuahua owners rarely think it's cool to have a huge, scary dog, so they don't encourage dangerous behavior from them.

If they commit 90% of the murders in the US and 70% of all crimes.

There are two old guys in my road that both own pit bulls, and have each owned a pit bull all their lives. They both consider it their favourite breed, and they love those dogs like you would not believe. They walk them together every single day at 5-6 and I see the one that lives next door to me being played with all the time.

These are two very very well-loved dogs. The one that lives next to me was bought at around the same time as one of mine, a labrador. They played together a lot as puppies, so they know each other pretty well.

The pit bull, while ok with people (as long as you don't act timid), is still aggressive towards my lab now.

I'm not arguing for killing them off, I don't think that's an acceptable thing to do, even if only for the trauma it'll cause owners like the guys in my road if the government suddenly comes and kills their beloved dogs, but you have to accept that on top of being incredibly strong they are aggressive as fuck.

just stats bro. all statistics clearly show that the pit bull is the most dangerous breed of dog. regardless of why or how, they are more dangerous than other breeds, O B J E C T I V E L Y.

>you have to accept that on top of being incredibly strong they are aggressive as fuck
I don't. I'm not trying to be unpleasant, but your personal anecdotes aren't enough to convince me, and they shouldn't be enough to convince anybody. The evidence for pit bulls being unusually naturally aggressive (even just "dog-aggressive") is inconclusive at best, with just as much evidence to the contrary.

And I have no dog in this fight (haha); I'm not a pit bull owner. Like I said, personally I wish people would stop breeding them, because huge, strong dogs *are* dangerous even when they have even temperaments (not a fan of wolf-dogs either) and because I don't think it's right to keep a dog as a pet that was bred for some specific task that they'll never be able to fulfill in a domestic environment. I don't think your average suburban family has any business owning a Border Collie either.

I agree on the sheepdog thing. I own a kelpie/border collie cross and while I love it to bits, the thing is literally insane. Her instincts to herd stuff result in her just standing stock still and staring at tennis balls and sticks all day, or stalking the other two dogs. Dogs bred for hunting, like labradors, ridgebacks, and pointers, are much more suited to domestic ownership.

And I know my evidence is anecdotal, and it's heartening to see someone trying not to be unpleasant on Veeky Forums. But it's the best example I can give of how no matter the upbringing, pit bulls do have aggressive tendencies. My personal experience with them confirms this, but like we both recognise, that is anecdotal and can only serve to influence my own opinion. But I would like to hear what your evidence to the contrary is, because I personally have never encountered even an anecdote of an unaggressive pit bull. The closest was at the local rescue shelter, there was a pit bull who was extremely friendly towards humans, but absolutely vicious towards other dogs. The poor thing had been rescued from the fights, and clearly its former owner had trained it well as a fighting dog. I know it's just another anecdote but I still felt it was worth sharing.

Listen I've worked at the local humane society for a couple of years, and yes they are statistically more dangerous than other dog breeds. But that being said, that's partly because of the huge stigma associated with these dogs. Many people buy them as guard dogs such as drug dealers even. That being said, dogs only become violent based upon how they are raised, end of story. I've worked with high mix wolf dogs that are tame simply because of the way they were raised.

>Comparing people to dogs
Your /pol/tard is showing user

>No, also pit bulls are as violent as any other dog
>it's the "statistically dachsunds bite the most" argument
Dachsund bites aren't going to do shit to you though. You can punt a dachsund in his stupid head if he gets nippy. You're fucked with a pit bull though. They're fighting dogs bred to be strong, aggressive and stupid and there's countless story of supposed "good" pit bulls pitting out on helpless babies and passerby.

Fuck them and fuck all pit apologists.

I think it's more unethical to breed the fuck out of dogs and consider their physical imperfections aesthetic.

>a dog that was literally bred to be a fight dog
>people are surprised when the dog is aggressive and dangerous as fuck

all the fight dog breeds should be extermined

Using words like euthanise are misleading. You should say kill. Don't hide away the gratuity.

>datas
data is plural.

Using 'euthanise' as opposed to 'kill' adds more specificity, it specifies the killing will be done in a way that minimises suffering for the animal. It would only be misleading if the animals were to be killed in an inhumane manner.

It's not ethical to euthanise all pit bulls nor is it practical to do it preemptively on a case-by-case basis. It makes more sense to restrict their breeding and ownership to those who can demonstrate legitimate need to own one along with the capacity to maintain appropriate training and control of the animal, but such a solution poses a big enforcement challenge.

Does that include civil service?

The data also says black people disproportionately commit more violent crime than any other race all over the world but you don't want us to kill blacks......

Why should we treat humans differently than other animals?

We need a pit bull genocide desu.

Pit bulls aren't bad dogs, they just have a disproportionate amount of bad owners.

>Why should we treat humans differently than other animals?
Peter Singer pls go.

I've working in vet clinics for several years, so I think I can confidently say that "pit bulls" (such as it is, many I see aren't purebred and just look like pit bulls terriers) have the capacity to be some of the sweetest breeds you can own.

So to answer OP's question, no, it's not ethical to euthanize a particular breed simply because of the potential that it may be dangerous.

not an argument

yeah sure, put it in front of another dog and see how sweet it is

The keyword from my earlier post is "capacity". Any dog is capable of being a mean son of a bitch.

In fact, the meanest one I've ever known was a French Bulldog, but you won't catch me holding anything against the breed.

I've been around pitbulls all of my life and I can honestly say they're some of the sweetest, cuddliest dogs I've ever met.

I do believe it's a nurture over nature thing. You do have to raise them right though, they're really high energy dogs. You gotta let them run and play or else it can fuck with them.

Not OP but I've owned one pit and a pit mutt before; one was just a goofy dumb dog and the other was generally a couch potato but would randomly act aggressive towards dogs and kids (the mix, interestingly enough). It never actually hurt anyone and was never consistently aggressive but we knew we had to be careful with him, there was just the vibe that he *could* snap and things would be very very bad if he ever did.