>Godot is good and better than Unity and gamemaker2
>Why?
>...

The engine literally has 0 impact on how good your game will be

2D: Godot
3D: UE4

You literally cannot refute this.

We're fucking famous

But it has a visual shader editor and autotile, that's good, right?

Godot faggots can't even post their shitty games made on it.

>
>Curve as in semi-circle or any arbitrary curve?
no, it's basically an area that's more like a rounded trapezoid, and i want it to have "plots" on which i will instantiate things, but i need them to fill the whole area and the further i go from the centre(of an arbitrary circle the trapezoid is positioned in), the more gaps they have. Ideally i'd want to have like a matrix of points if that makes sense, but i have no idea how to generate something like this, like an array of sorts.

>tfw you realize ideaguying for games that are fun, interesting but still manageable for a 1MA to complete is the true endgame for gamedev

Why aren't you making a meme-of-the-month game?

Honest answer, there no fucking reason to use godot right now for anything. Sure you can, but it like downgrading yourself

Finding a packing algorithm for your base shape using your container shape.

>not attempting an overly ambitious game all by yourself
>true gamedev endgame
you still have much to learn

new itch cover
I hate gifs oh god why do they run at different speeds depending on the program

soundcloud.com/ryunocore/fall-astray-demo

messed up and posted it in the dying thread

wow slow down here epilepsy killer

because you've set the delay to 0 instead of 1/[your frame rate] in FFMPEG and different apps interpret the 0 delay differently

that's a great way to be a nodev

>Make a new track after having writers block for weeks
>Go back to an older track to make a few adjustments
>Save it
>Realize I just saved over the new track by mistake
>Can't for the life of me remember what it sounded like
At least I was able to make something similar yesterday.

>Godot
>for 2D
LUL

old one for comparison

I don't know if I will make my game less seizure inducing, it's kinda essential to the aesthetic.

It's actually just the gif editor that plays it slower, I think it just ignores the delay which is at 16ms for all frames.

There's no point of text on screen if you're not going to make it readable.

The logo is just for the banner, it's not in-game.
Is the help panel readable?

Readable enough. Unless it flickers like the logo.

>when that function you spent a week on finally
I'm a pure unadulterated genius, aren't I?

Alright so I'm new to itch.io. What do I need to prepare for demo day? I'm thinking something like a zip with the game, a couple of pictures/gifs and an introductory text?

Why can't you make it look normal though? Why do you have to make it look stupid?

finally what, genius?

Not that guy, i had a 2D problem with sprite flip and rotating stuff clockwise/counterclockwise, can't remember the specifics. Nothing super complex, but the obvious solution wouldn't work.

The search results were flooded by people asking the same question for their babby first platformer. I made a very detailed thread describing the issue, the reason why the obvious method wouldn't work, posted my script, a gif and a sample project. After a matter of minutes i had three replies, all telling me something along the lines of changing a variable sign based on player direction and linking a brackeys? youtube tutorial. After asking them to actually read the op and explaining why their fix was adressed to the another type of issue the thread was closed by a mod telling me not to be rude and to use the search button before opening new threads.

Make sure to zip the folder, not the bunch of files.

well that's embarassing, sorry

where's the fun in that?

It happens. What were you working on?

>tfw might not make it for demo day
hold me, lads

Not the dev but its called a marketing bullshot, you plebian nodev

Client side prediction, it pretty much working now. Just have to work out some kinks and I've got my basic multiplayer movement working.

How much money do you think tracks made?

Yeah good point. I will remember that.

First of all, no it's really not. Secondly, this would be terrible marketing, nobody wants to play a stupid blurry looking game over a good clean looking game.

Right now I have very little programming knowledge. I've done the necessary scripting to make stuff up to and including a simple platformer in GML, but that's about it.

I'd like to go back and learn programming:

1. For my long-term goal of making a CRPG in the vein of Spiderweb Software's stuff.
2. To make my resume look good as a kind of "supplemental skill."
3. For solving simple problems and making small-ish applications, both console-based and graphical, to use in Windows and Linux (no need for macOS).

Genuinely don't mind if getting to the point of doing my RPG takes quite a while, but I'd like to learn to program using a language that will be useful in doing that down the line.

here. I almost forgot the most important part. Given the above, where should I start?

barely any, it was the most played / viewed / whatevered on itchio but didn't even make the top 10 of most purchased and on SteamSpy its sales aren't great

Working on a base model for male characters in my game. Forcing myself to learn blender because I wanna do 3D. Faces are fucking hard.

I have an adventure-type game, and I'd like to add some sort of mechanic for the final (and only) boss fight.

I have two questions.

1. Which kind of fight should be? My hunch is that should be more like a "minigame" than something that could be standalone, because "2".

2. Would the "sudden change in genre" be a turnoff? Like when you have a stealth level in a non stealth game, or a terribly implemented hacking game in a game that is not specifically about it.

A penny for your thoughts, /agdg/?

It's okay, user. I won't make it either ..again
Just do the best you can!

C# is pretty cool because Unity, but also windows forms/console programs. For example, a couple years ago Steam had a winter game auction, so I made a little crawler thing that went through all the games and incrementally bid. Mostly for fun, but it ended up bidding on games that were hidden from the browse/search functionality, so no one else was able to bid and I got them for cheap. Felt greybeard, man.

The point is windows forms is nice because its got all the components available and tested (and MSDN is top tier documentation) with dragondrop, so if you have a chore or task, you can make your tool for it and have it look nice and do things like pop up notifications with a standard workflow, no having to hack stuff, it feels like you're doing it "properly" the first time. But its also powerful so you can make the step from relying on components, to writing your own code. Plus visual studio.

sudden change of genre is a classic trope. make it a golf minigame

Looks like progress to me, so you're ok in my book.

Considering how fast they made it, wasn't it like three months? It was insane turnaround for a 3d game, but also its super limited in scope

I actually love golf, but it would change the mood a lot and I don't think I can pull it-off.

I was thinking about something like a simple bullet hell minigame.

Does this look like the face of mercy?

if you've skipped more than one demo day in a row you're a nodev

>tfw I've been here since demo day 3 and still haven't submitted a game to any demo day
I'm a failure.

If I'm making a turn-based game, should I have the combat in a separate scene?

>wanting your game to be associated with a pedophile rape simulator

there's a reason no serious dev here submits to demodays

>submitting to discord day

Oh please, people just use self censuring as an excuse for their inability to dev.

Keep believing that. You know damn well there are some promising games here that oddly don't associate with demoday and the like.

>its not that I cant, I simply dont want to
fox, meet grapes

how the fuck do you break a string in gdscript
var s = "my \
string"
doesn't work uuugh
'pythonlike'

I've been here since before the first one and I've skipped every demo day
Send sudoku

\n

i want to have a long one-line string to be spread across multiple lines in the code editor without adding any line breaks to the string

Did you submit demo feedbacks?

>no recaps
>no demo
>no progressposts
>only Discord
>promising games "here"

name 3 promising /agdg/ games that have no demoday demos, aren't in the jams and aren't in the recap

Name 3 promising agdg that don’t have anime

RoR 2, Khyrse and my game

I know you can do that with arrays and dictionaries but I don't know about strings, sorry bud.

I have given feedback to demos, yeah.

>RoR 2
not /agdg/, discord only
>Khyrse
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-16/rate/174252
>my game
not a game

Dixie

>found my notes on all the game endings I wrote down for my game
>thought I lost them

Hard to dispute this

demo day is hosted by the discord, so if we're counting that then you have to count RoR 2 faggot

Why do you people insist on spending hours arguing about meaningless shit instead of just making a game?

Anyone know any good things to read to improve on dialogue writing? My game is going to have a lot of dialogue and I'd like to avoid it being a cringefest.

>being this much of a delusional
How much of a nodev are you?

Watch and read a literal shit ton of content.

Don't just watch anime.

>Why do you people insist on spending hours arguing about x instead of participating in x
thats the whole basis of Veeky Forums, no matter the medium. game dev, games, anime, sports, movies, tv, books, politics. its a place where lazy losers can procrastinate while still feeling their contributing to the thing they autistically obsess over

>shmoopdev is a nodev and Devil Engine won't be finished
Slow clap.

that's one
meanwhile project wingman, world of horror, tracks, or even bokube have their demos in /agdg/ associated itch jams and none of them seem to have suffered because of it

Has any game of note ever actually been made with python?

>not posting progress
>not demoday
>no jams
>no recap
Then they're not on here. To be an /agdg/ game your game needs to be on /agdg/, not you.
If your game is not on aggy, then its not. FInd another group if you dislike this one so much.

No problem, thanks mate

>thats the whole basis of Veeky Forums
internet*

WHEN DID DEMO DAY COME SO CLOSE

Nobody mentioned progress besides you. Someone could theoretically post progress every single day and never do any of the other things.

A game doesn't need to do ALL of those, they just need to do one of those. RoR hasn't done any of those, bokube, wingman, etc have

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Python_software#Video_games

there are devs here that only post progress on the board and don't have any demos in itch jams, but that doesn't make it any less /agdg/

the meme that adding your game to demoday or recap suddenly marks it for life and eradicates all of its chances of success needs to die

I would prefer if the pedophile died or fucked off.

no-one gives a shit about you and your pedophilia simulator

Working on the ACTUAL starting area of the game (museum level will be repurposed as a late game area), and added camera rotation and elevators.

dont mind the shine

Remember this.

that's a big shine