Philosophy 101

Hey guys, filthy uninformed weeb here. I know next to nothing about philosophy at all, I have read nothing and have no comprehension of any actual issues.

What would be some books/texts you might recommend as essential to a beginner in the field? How would you start wading into the ocean?

Other urls found in this thread:

philosophizethis.org/
docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/edit?pref=2&pli=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The ego and it's own - max stirner

Plato - Complete Works (Cooper)

The original tutorial level for Western philosophy.

make sure you read this first OP. then you'll know when to shout "Spooks!" when you read anything else

Try the "philosophise this" podcast.

Philosophy wasn't really my thing but I started listening to it and am both enjoying it and learning.

philosophizethis.org/

Not OP. Is this an intimidating, 1000-page volume?

start with the greeks

Def start with Greek philosophy. I went from Plato directly into elightenment it was a solid enough bridge literally just start reading anything though.

This.

existentialcomics.com
Russel's history of western philosophy

sokolowski - phainomenology

the holy bible

anime is blasphemous idolatry

Nagel's "What does it all mean?".

Don't hit source material until you understand generally what's going on in the source.

No, it's an intimidating 2000 page volume.

the greeks not a bad thing to read through, but are legitimately skippable, as a majority of their arguments are flawed. they are more of a "history of philosophy" thing, which isn't bad. you can begin modern philosophy with hume, and all you need to know from descartes is his most popular quotation.

I would recommend hume, then husserl or stirner, and by then you should understand phenomenological reasoning, what "knowledge" is, non-cognitivism, things of this nature. technically these are the most logically grounded views in interpreting reality, one that only science can truly expand upon if possible at this point. until then, interpreting reality is likely as "solved" as it can be, since the mid eighteen hundreds by german phenomenologists.

this might seem like a joke but it's actually true. a vast majority of philosophical material makes jumps in reasoning in their bases, is based off of subjective reasoning or derives an "ought" from an "is". this is why the greeks aren't necessarily relevant to understanding philosophy. it's like learning wrong math to help you understand correct math. wtf why?

FPBP

i actually wasn't joking. i shout out spooks in real life.

The whole of Western philosophy is your oyster if you devote a couple of years to Plato and Aristotle

just know that Marx is the final boss.

The Social Contract by Rousseau

Weebs aren't welcome on Veeky Forums

But this is support for real communism though, because eventually there were mean that created real aircraft.

He's not wrong, people CAN fly.

It took thousands of years of trial and error, but they did it.

STAY AWAY FROM OUR FLUIDS

Read Thus Spoke Zarathustra. You should notice that it makes no fucking sense.

Then read it again in a couple of years after you've read a bunch of other philosophy and notice how it makes perfect sense.

START

WITH

GREEKS

Start Spinoza
Then Kant
Then Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Calmut, Sartre
Then Husserl
End with Heidegger

>I do this too

Second for this. Great little introduction, and it's only like 70 pages.

After that, I'd get your hands on Plato, Aristotle, Kant, and Wittgenstein.

Once you're done with them, feel free to branch out. Most of these suggestions from other people are very niche philosophers, and reading them in vacuum does no good.

Watch s1 of Psycho Pass and search up the philosophers that the villain cites.

docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/edit?pref=2&pli=1