Why didn't American English develop an accent like other English speaking countries?

Why didn't American English develop an accent like other English speaking countries?

lol dumbass

This

It did.

lol OP I get it haha

There are a variety of American English accents. Southern, Appalachian, Midwest, Boston, tidewater...

American English does have an accent like all people that speak English but American English is more homogeneous due to it being an immigrant nation with loads of people learning to speak it as a second language and having a massive media machine exporting it across the nation and world.

As a Brit American speak a bit nasally, pronounce T's like D's, drag out R's pronounce aught words like ot cause are like 'cot' etc.

there are only two arguments you can make for non-accented english. either the most english part of england doesn't have an accent, or you go with academically accepted pronunciations which would be american newscaster accent, which also happens to be the growing american accent in general in the most recent generation because raised on television.

arguing a "lack of accent" is sort of silly, though. those are just the two best arguments I can think of.

I have a better question why did white people appropriate the custom of sticking metal in their noses and pretending its aesthetic?

What you're calling an "accent" is just any accent that doesn't sound like your own accent.

Why do burgers have no self awareness

because the majority of americans are not english and could not adopt the posh anglo accent

by 1830 americans were mostly irish, germans, blacks, french, dutch, indians

they never picked up the anglo accent, it was reserved for the upper class (trans-atlantic accent)

then came the italians, greeks, slavs, jews

unlike australia which was anglo-stock until 1970

if US would have been predominantly anglo then it would have retained the an accent similar to trans-atlantic accent or even High Tider accent

distinctive Outer Banks accent or brogue, which sounds more like an English accent than it does an American accent. Many "bankers" have often been mistaken for being from England or Ireland when traveling to areas outside of the Outer Banks

The Outer Banks were first settled by English European colonial settlers, many of whom still have descendants living on the islands to this day. Before bridges were built in the 1930s, the only form of transport between or off the islands was by boat, which allowed for the islands to stay isolated from much of the rest of the mainland. This helped to preserve the maritime culture

now

why did brown people appropriate the white man's science and technology

sure you invented the kite, but you didn't invent the aeroplane, go back to kites and mud huts

The Boston accent truly is the worst case of a raping of a language that has ever been. It's worse than all the creole shit out there.

You got trolled, bro.

Yankees gonna yank

Well to be fair Dixie does have an accent but the accent most people have ios Yankee

I read that southern draw is far more similar to how they spoke during the revolution than modern British

Wrong normal America is the most accurate English accent, southerners sound like retards

Why do americans think they don't have accents? The US and Canada have a myriad of accents.

You, my friend, have never been to Appalachia

Isn't Ohio the state with the most 'normal' accent?

Kansas is. But the Midwest in general is pretty damn close to it

>he's jealous
I get wet when I here a handsome southern gentleman speak

That is because you're a fucking faggot.

American English vernacular is technically older than Queens English, which would make sense as the 13 colonies were succesfully settled around the early 1600's before a lot of the standardization came about back in England.

Dixie American English still maintains some of the same grammar and spelling that existed during the colonial era, but that was also standardized and is hard to detect if you don't have a good ear.

He's right though.

Only a tiny minority ever spoke the Queen's English, there are plenty of different regional accents in England. Before spelling was standardised people would just spell how they spoke and historians could tell which accent people had. That is how they found out Richard III had a Brummie accent

That's true. But I must've heard it on tv or in a film sometime, and I can't record ever hearing anything so grating as the Boston "accent". Isn't Appalachian what people refer to as "yokel"?

I like it
t. Euro

Most states have the normal accent. Southern is the next largest.

triggered.

there are heaps of different american accents

Actual linguist here. American English is actually as close to a neutral accent as you can get (although a fully neutral accent is impossible because individual speakers will always mispronounce *something*). English in general is a very neutral language and has dropped most of the exotic features that make other languages hard to learn. Its grammar is probably relatively close to the original language's (i.e. the most recent common ancestor of all existing languages), though obviously its vocabulary is nothing alike.

This is one of the things that make it suitable for a world language.

Well I don't.
t. Euro.

>white people
OPs picture unrelated

Probably a turk living in germany

Or a norwegian living in Norway.

shet yer fawkin' meyth

>All this denial ITT

Be honest, American English the way it's spoken by newscasters is the least goofy sounding manner of speech in existence today. Compare it to all the different varieties of Spanish or Chinese where the speakers feel the need to go up and down and fill everything with emotional inflection. None of that shit in basic newscaster American English, just the facts.

>American newscasters
>facts

stop it user, I just spit beer all over my screen

>Americans really are this delusional

Was it a 300ml bud light?

must be taking the piss

do americans actually believe they don't have an accent?

Not "just the facts" as in newscasters tell you actual facts, "just the facts" as in their tone of voice doesn't go up and down with emotion like with other languages. Also not even talking about newscasters themselves so much as the manner in which those newscasters speak. The content and the degree to which it's true are irrelevant to the topic.

i'm not american and i agree

american accents sound often forced and artificial, manufactured, unnatural

As an American, Brit speak is literally fucking retarded and half of your shit just doesn't make sense. Especially "Haytch" and "Zed".

haitch is an old irish (perfectly valid) pronunciation, though actually aitch is preferred in formal british english
zed was just changed to zee by americans

I got your meaning, I was just fucking with you, user.

I wholeheartedly agree that newscasters tend to have a very neutral tone. I wouldn't limit it to american newscasters, though.

French Canadian newscasters (radio/television) from CBC and Radio-Canada are also very neutral. Just. The. Facts.

Nope, it was pure Coup de Grisou beer brewed right here in Montreal, about 20 minutes away from where I'm sitting.

Pic related is basically Jesus in a bottle.

Americans invented Modern English.

Before the American colonies, the British were still speaking ye olde English. It was only after the colonies in America retooled the language did the rest of the world adopt modern English.

Had it not been for the Americans, who also invented democracy and freedom, we would still be swinging broadswords and living under feudalism.

Why are you getting angry? I literally said nothing antagonising in my post.