What do you think about self-handed justice and vigilantes?

What do you think about self-handed justice and vigilantes?
Pic unrelated.

>unrelated

being allowed to string the piece of shit that raped your daughter up definitely has its advantages compared to him getting off Scott free on a technicality in the modern legal system I guess

>someone pisses you off
>you kill them for "justice"
>his son kills you for "justice"

and the cycle of stupidity continues
we have law and order to prevent said cycle from happening (not perfect though)

you may think you never done anything but there are quite a lot of people that just love to exact justice upon you.

>neighbor is a business competitor
>plant evidence of molestation, tell other people he was a child rapist
>get off with no charges

Or, I just falsely accuse you of raping my daughter and string you up, then I rape YOUR daughter now that you're out of the way.

it didn't work that way usually

mob justice was never taken lightly

In principle it is barbaric and a stupid emotional thing to do in a civilised system that has built in mechanisms for dealing with crime punitively and with impartiality. Vigilantism reflects subjective personal morals and goals and hurts democracy/republics.

I understand it from an emotional point of view tho

A connection one could draw from the various points made here is that both law and government in a democratic system work best when they function as representations of their communities.

In modern society, democracy has become a consumer's choice. You get to chose different kind of brand policies; brand parties; brand representatives. "Pepsi or Coke?"

But democracy must represent the citizen's will. It must rise from the will of the public. The law must follow suit.

When a man from Athens voted, he voted for a man he knew. A man from within his community, a man who shared his values. Discrepancies could be avoided or ignored. Today, demographics force politics to appeal to a common denominator, watering down even further the differences between citizen's X and citizen's Y vision of things.

Mob justice was often the result of an understanding. You could agree to forego a ban on murder if the accused went farther than anyone in the community could abide. Today, law is unavoidably rigid and lacks societies' need for flexibility.

in a way law is not suppose to be too flexible

Whereas your typical person can justify everything in his mind even the most atrocious and evil of actions, a consistent law won't accept such excuses (in theory).

people lived in tight knit communities where everyone knew everyone

if you said your neighbor raped your daughter because he tore down your fence and you wanted revenge the town would have laughed at you

but if Bob the town drunk who was known to spend the last 15 years beating the shit out of his wife woke up one day with blood on his hands and his wife was lifeless he was going to get strung up

people underestimate just how capable communities are of self policing and doling out "justice"

>it didn't work that way usually
>mob justice was never taken lightly

Both of these statements seem very incorrect. Angry mobs tend not to care about the truth or fairness. Psychologically, being part of a mob excuses people from the responsibility to think things through or act ethically.

>tight knit communities

Like Salem, Massachusetts?

>the piece of shit that raped your daughter up

>protestants going crazy that one time
yes let's judge a tried and true method of self policing by that one time

I guess we can judge the entirety of the modern legal system by OJ's case as well.

>What do you think about self-handed justice and vigilantes?
From a philosophical standpoint you could argue that correcting a "slight" that happened to you YOURSELF; is actually more moral than getting a 3rd party such as the police who have no quarrel or complaint about said offender to step in and handle the situation.
> Indirect violence is WORSE than direct violence morally speaking

the entire community ate ergot diminishing their capacity for reason

>give me an example of tight-knit communities going batshit
>Salem
>GIVE ME TWO EXAMPLES!

I dunno man it's almost as if Salem is a well documented case of people going batshit in an otherwise uneventful centuries long history of communities self policing themselves or something...

>a tried and true method of self policing

But it's not...

So u b sayin' societies were in utter chaos before the nice policeman™ and the trusty defense attorney™ showed up?

Tell me more...