This has been bugging me for a long time

This has been bugging me for a long time

Why is it that people have absolutely no empathy for the people of old who saw blacks as animals?

Today this opinion is in no way accepted but this knowledge is projected on to early settlers and explorers.

Imagine being an early explorer and coming across a completely foreign people. They prowl around; they may be wearing nothing more than a couple beads or a loincloth; they speak in indiscernible clicking noises, indistinguishable from that of some other ape; and yet people are appalled and shocked to hear that some of these primative people were kept in zoos.

The fact is that we today draw strict lines of what constitutes human and not and we decide that animals are simply worth less. We're happy to kill and enslave animals we dont deem equal. How can so many judge the actions of ignorant or even illiterate fools with no knowledge of the world as a whole? If you were these people and you saw picture related, could you seriously say that you would be able to tell it apart from an ape?

It is an almost guaranteed fact that our morals are not accurate. It's inevitable that morals will change at some point to look back at our society today and be disgusted with how we treat food animals but pretty much everyone walks around thinking they're so right, disgusted by the thought of racism or slavery. It doesnt make sense.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynching_in_the_United_States#Photographic_records_and_postcards
livescience.com/18132-intelligence-social-conservatism-racism.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Empathy for what? What did they suffer?

You dont understand what words mean

>Please, PLEASE think of the racists!

This is some high quality bait right here. Top notch stuff. You are going to be reeling em in.

I feel like I'm in bizarro world

Stuff like this is so obvious to me and I feel like it should be obvious to everyone else but people are absolutely controlled by their modern morals, it shapes every opinion they have and I'd be surprised if any thought they'd ever had was thunk up by themselves as opposed to being manufactured for them to regurgitate.

Dehumanizing them happened at the trading block. There was a quite a bit of trade between the three massive slave trade empires within Africa. Slavers just bought those people from local Africans. It made those empires quite wealthy, but the dehumanizing of these people occurred at the market.

That's a picture of an Aboriginal, not a black person.

People believe history is the same as the present, and people should be vilified as if it was. I see where you're coming from, and you make some interesting points.

It's just that in the world today, being strong doesn't mean the same thing in the past. If you are the stronger people then you make the rules. It's just not the same today, and the vast majority of people, obviously even ones on this board do not realize just how different a time we live in. Just think, women are capable of warring now a days due to our advanced technology in distance warfare. But people today believe women have always been just as capable as men throughout human history.

It's because man is too terrible a creature for people to handle. Only Man and Humanity, with capital letters, namely abstract constructs conformable to some pre-determined ideology, are palatable. Spme of the best men that ever lived were "problematic", or downright "monsters" by liberal standards.

And the video that first made me think about this was of Sentinelese people

Irrelevant to the point

Well if you make a post about historic people dehumanizing black people, and don't post a picture of a black person, it's not that irrelevant.

You make some good points OP

It's interesting to think that even anti-slavery activists would be thought of racist today

t. autism

Where do you think you are?

Look at that person's skin. She's darker then any nigger in Georgia today.

And more closely related to your pasty ass than any African. Just goes to show how retarded arbitrary the "white" and "black" labels are.

I'm talking about primative people, you fucking retard

Aboriginals would have been the best example of this because at least in Africa by the time northern europeans got there they had some level of contact.

Aboriginals were severely undeveloped and isolated.

normiechan

Any person will take any opportunity of being a dick.
Difference is how removed they have to be to not feel guilt or doubting.

When I was very young I saw a photo of a lynching in a newspaper. People were smiling around a black corpse hanging from a tree. It fucked me up emotionally to see that. It's not like I had racism is bad drilled into my head or something. I just saw that and that was my immediate response, empathy for another human being and the desire to kill the people that were happy about this.

I don't really care what they were taught or what they believed. I feel no sympathy when 80 year old nazis are hunted down and tried either. You were just doing your job? Fuck you, what you did was evil and disgusting. I emphasize with the victims not the perpetrators.

>I suffered an emotional collapse over a propaganda picture

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynching_in_the_United_States#Photographic_records_and_postcards

They weren't propaganda, they were novelty items, used for amusement.

Why should people have empathy for criminals, murderers and rapists?

Are you trying to imply that every person that was lynched was a criminal, a murderer, or a rapist?

Probably not every single one, but it's a safe bet most of them were.

So you cab put up various things that separate a person from something that increases emotional distance like mobs, memes, social mores etc.

Most of the killings happened in the immediate aftermath of the civil war as a way for revanchist forces to maintain political control.

You know they can't prove that wrong since they are dead and all. Innocent until proven guilty was out of the window.

Even if you are a criminal, a murderer, or a rapist you still deserve a fair trial and the same punishment anyone else would get. I had a similar reaction to the Abu Ghraib photos. I'm not unwilling to also acknowledge that those people were probably the scum of the earth. There's no excuse for behaving like the scum of the earth yourself though.

No, the number of lynchings peaked between 1900 and 1920.

Did you also get triggered by lynched Mussolini pics?

>It fucked me up emotionally
You sound really similar to lots of vegetarians and vegans.

Really makes you think.

>There's no excuse for behaving like the scum of the earth yourself though.

There is if there is no witness or you have group protection.

No.

I am never distraught by pictures of corpses unless I knew the person personally or something, and I'm not some edgy sociopath. Saying you got fucked up by some blurry person of a hanged guy sounds like virtue signaling, there's no need for that on this board.

I'll second that because everyone knows exactly what he did. No sympathy for Saddam's public hanging video either.

He should have been tried though.

Without a question. He should be sharing a cell with Bush right now.

>black guy gets lynched
>he should've stood a trial
>but EVERYONE KNOWS she raped that girl

See how it works?

And that's more of a tragedy because post Saddam Iraq was worse somehow.

Where's the evidence? We have plenty of evidence of the atrocities committed by tyrants.

And Blair to an they'll never be touched nor will it ever in events similar to this past present and future.

I'm sure the villagers who lynched the criminals had plenty of evidence, otherwise they wouldn't do it. The testimony of the raped women for example.

Add Hillary and Obaba to the list.

any aussie can tell you abos aint people

fuckers sleep on roads

this, bunch of petrol huffing lazy cunts

Obama won a Nobel Peace Prizeā„¢ though :^}

>Stupid villagers
>Proper evidence
Heh

How are they stupid?

Let's say I get in a dispute with you over property. I tell my wife to say you raped her. That makes it okay to kill you right?

Because they didn't Lynch enough

I'm white though ;^)

You look kinda Mexican to me.

Yes user that's totally what happened. It was all an elaborate conspiracy to make shit up and lynch negroes, no actual rapes took place.

Even if one did that does not justify a lynching. It still deserves a trial. You can compare a single rape to murder and abuses committed en masse at the direction of a dictator all you want but it doesn't really fit.

Yes. Maybe we can rehabilitate the 70 IQ, worthless negro rapist to become a functional member of society again.

This is precisely why there was a death penalty for rape in the old south.

You don't need to bother playing nab the negro when a court of law will do it for you.

The courts in your favor either way his state of innocence.

t. autism

i clicked on this thread because i thought it looked interesting. i was interested in seeing the responses. what would Veeky Forums have for me today. would i happen upon a new viewpoint? a new way of looking at something? interesting new knowledge? no. i would not. literally /b/ tier responses. thank you for reminding who i share this board with :)

What's the best thing to do when the quality of discussion isn't to your liking? Try to steer it in a different direction? Add your own ideas? No, that's fucking stupid. Why would anyone do that when they could just bitch?

no, that is the correct way to do things around here. that was precisely the point of my comment you snide fuck

Why would you purposefully add nothing to the conversation? You are a fool of intellectual discourse

>emoticons
faggot no one needs you

As an Aussie who's lived next to Aboriginal people I can tell you that you're fucked in the head.

You mean the light-skinned ones who are the products of several generations of interbreeding between colonists and the absolute top-percentile for looks and intelligence of the abo population?

Because if you live next door to the parasitic, gas huffing, uglier-than-chimps standard variety, YOU'RE the one fucked in the head for thinking they're anywhere close to the rest of the human population. I'll even concede that they can be called Homo Sapiens, but the social and mental development of most of their population is ten thousand years behind everyone else.

Ten thousand years might be too generous, sorry. There were cultures actually building cities back then.

>what you did was evil and disgusting
So how do you feel about the tribe of white pygmies that Africa RULES OF NATURE'd out of existence? That's acceptable genocide? No blood on your hands?

If someone was autistic enough to fund a study that properly quantified suffering, ran it in the modern world and then worked with historians to run it in most periods, I think there'd be some fun results.

>women are capable of warring now a days
No, they aren't. They are demonstrably incapable and have been seen as such across the board across multiple continents and within multiple countries within them. You BELIEVE that they should be, however you do not seek the evidence of your reasoning.

>Veeky Forums can't into impricism
Wew lad.

>next to
Melbourne metro mate? As someone who has lived in the thick of it, VERY few have their shit together. The ones I've met that do are stolen generation-teir who ended up being raised white in foster or by relatives.
I'm not taking a stance but your immediate instinct to take issue likely means you've never actually experienced any of it.

>/pol/yp getting triggered over anecdotal evidence or not even realising the cultural connection Abos had to the land.

No, you're pretty fucked in the head m8.

>There were cultures actually building cities back then
Top kek

>cultural connection
None in the metro do. Very few in the desert and forests do either. Have you been to a community or lived near one for an extended time? Do you like, know anything about it at all. Anecdotal evidence is worthless for a reason. That reason is that it mightn't be shared by others due to it being an exeptional example. Most experiences and the australian statistics can back up his claim that they experience issues as a population. I am not going to suggest causes or solutions but to pretend that there aren't massive issues is pathetic and decietful.

>cultural connection Abos had to the land

You mean the culture that was practically static for 40,000 years? The one that burned down forests to hunt?

I thought only retards apply modern moral values onto cultures of the past. What is this fucking thread even about?

Fuck off, you guys are racist pieces of shit. White trash.

Hello abo, how do you do?

>This and Tulsa race riot
Jesus Chris America, you people are fucking insane.

Yeah, where do you come from?
Odds are I can find an equally fucked up thing about your country.

This is the good shit I wait for.

Yes, I actually went an stayed in a community, and it was fine.

NT is fucked in regards to its laws and punishments

No the ones that didn't fuck with the land and lived nomadically while trading with Indonesians

>White trash
>implying
I came from good stock actually. I'd bet good money that any child I have will have an IQ over 110.

Doubt it. Racists have low IQs

livescience.com/18132-intelligence-social-conservatism-racism.html

I wouldn't bet given the odds these days. Might turn out an autistic Sonic the Hedgehog fan.

*cringes*

>laws and punishments
You mean like, no real punishments? You mean like the fact that they are all paid to break and burn shit? You mean like how the rest of the populace doesn't do any of that shit?
NT is a bit wild but communities are another level

Also the fact that you stayed there is amusing. People who LIVE near there have more to say. Perhaps because it's their property that is destroyed and their peace that is disturbed.
Furhter, the rates of intercommunity violence, sexual assualt and child molestation if THROUGH THE ROOF. If you went there and they smiled at you I'm sure it's all fine. You liked it so it must be good

>social conservatism
Ayyy. I wonder what these rates would have looked like when the pervailing opinion was racist. In reality any and all out-spoken fringe movements are filled with people who have less to lose. That doesn't mean the idea held by others, it's just not espoused as readily. See Trump/Brexit

Possible, sadly

Lack of empathy is the reason for all disagreeings. Some people are just allergic to even a smidgen of relativism.

Wow, it's almost like intelligent people would say 'no, of course I'm not racist! haha,' to keep their jobs and social life or some shit.

Just a thought.

Funny. He was tried and was hung. Told everyone what they were doing was illegal.

>relativism
What on earth does relativism have to do with empathy? You realise it's possible for objective or criterion based approaches to understand difference in context without sucumbing to relativistic moral degradation right?

>Ten thousand years might be too generous, sorry.
An interesting comparison. I am no biologist but cows are not native to the United States. So how did the long horn come about, a cow native to Texas? Hundreds of years of natural selection. Cows from Spain, to Mexico, eventually ended up in northern Mexico and Texas. There are a lot of studies that have concluded in the differences of "races" however we cannot as a sentient species label them as any kind of sub-human for fear of brutality that may arise.

Yes, of course it's possible to realize others intentions outside a relativistic frame of mind. But I just wanted to see what happens if it gets mentioned.

For relativism has much to do with empathy.

Relitivism has literally nothing more to do with empathy than anything else.

So you are saying we can't judge people of the past by modern day morals. I think there are two ways to look at it. The first is that it is unfair to judge someone one standard that didn't even exist in their time. The second is that we are not judging the people so much as the societal values as a whole. Thus our condemnation of them allows us to assert the correctness of our values.

I understand people can from different times have different values but I find it impossible not to judge people when they commit heinous acts by the standards of their own time.

The belief that any value is and can be found by the subjective that is sufficiently set so by their perception, has in fact no particular accordance with conducting oneself empathetically.

Or maybe I got it wrong?

>but I find it impossible not to judge people when they commit heinous acts by the standards of their own time.
This is where Relativism kicks in. A certain tribe of Indians eat their dead as a ceremony of moving into the after life. If you were to ask a Englishmen the same thing he would give you the same look that Indian would if you asked him to bury his dead. Note that both these people lived in the same times. Its all contemporary.

Your not wrong your just explaining it very poorly by using Empathy to describe empathetically.

I mean you're partially right but I think if they paid attention even the first explorers would have noticed behavior that indicates a pretty big difference between black humans and apes. They just didn't give much of a shit.

You're wrong. Relativism has nothing to do with the pragmatic understanding of an idividuals emotional state, behavioural tendencies, personal history and ideology. Those are simply features to be examined.
The ability to do this effectively is the process of being empathetic, not sympathetic. Relativism has more to do with symapthy e.g forgiving the person who was 'forced' into a bad situation for their atrocities.
Just because you can understand why doesn't mean you should accept that it's 'okay', that's relativistic. Empathy has nothing to do with the criterion, objective or subjective stance you take on the facts, merely your ability to properly percieve the factors and model them onto yourself personally.
Empathy= understanding
Sympathy= caring

>The belief that any value is and can be found by the subjective that is sufficiently set so by their perception