So why did the real Serbian army just withdraw and leave the war to a small force of underequipped and...

So why did the real Serbian army just withdraw and leave the war to a small force of underequipped and poorly-positioned rednecks?

They were right at the capital, what gives?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Xvyt0LXCXgg&app=desktop
twitter.com/AnonBabble

bump

Milosevic, the Serbian president, was politically isolated and couldn't risk U.N. intervention. So he just funded/inflamed the Serbs living in Croatia (and there was a significant number of them) to do the fighting for him. Croatia employed a similar strategy during the Bosnian civil war, where at first they funded Croats in southern Bosnia to fight the Croat army.

*funded Croats in southern Bosnia to fight the Bosnian army

They'd already gotten pretty far though, right? And international opinion swung in like 93', way after the militias were the main fighting force. At first everyone wanted to stay out of it.

The Serbs could have won that war, sued for peace and then dropped everything so the RS could fight for itself and avoid international attention a little longer. I maintain that this was a miscalculation by Milosevic.

Is the real serbian army something like the real IRA?

It was the JNA - the Yugoslav People's Army - which had by that point become effectively Serbian.

It was "real" in the sense that it was a proper military and not an ad-hoc jumble of paramilitary groups and rebels like the forces of the Serb splinter republic in Croatia, who were somehow expected to be able to win the war once the JNA withdrew despite being drastically outnumbered.

>we shouldn't go in so deep, we'll get sanctioned and bombed
>still get sanctioned and bombed
>leaves serbs there with only """"volunteers"""" aka criminals and the occasional unfortunate guy who opened the door when criminals came to recruit """"volunteers""""
>instructs croatian serbs not to accept Z4 plan so that it doesn't interfere with his own centralization within serbia
>serbs get cleansed from croatia
>he refuses the take them in as refugees, and tries to shove them to kosovo because fuck of reeee, belgrade is full
Croatian Serbs despise him more than anyone

things you need to know about yugo wars

>balkanites
>slavoturks
>never trust them
>just a bit better than gypsies
>shooting eachother up

>tfw jna officers wanted to pimp slap Slovenia and throw all nationalists into jail and put all this nonsense to rest but milosevic said no
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Yeah but didn't he want Slovenia to leave so that Serbia would have the greatest voting block...or something like that?

So that HE would have the voting block.
We're talking power hungry psychopath here.

As I recall, Croatia also said fuck off to letting the army through their republic.

Happy republic day.
youtube.com/watch?v=Xvyt0LXCXgg&app=desktop

Because they got really bloodied at vukovar by a token force and the fact that serbs from serbia for all their nationalistic chest thumping didn't really want to fight a war given the absolutely abysmal numbers that actually responded to the draft.

The JNA tried to fight a tank war in a fucking fortified city, of course they got bloodied

The more I look into this, the more it seems like a constant circus of shitty decisions by Milosevic's administration.

That still doesn't justify the fact that the army turned around within eyeshot of Zagreb

Yeah I don't really get what the fuck they were trying to do.

>hurr durr let's send tanks into an urban environment without infantry support what's the worst that could happen
>what, all the tanks got fucking ambushed and brewed up by AT handheld weaponry?

It's just fucking mind boggling.

Still not as hilarious as the time when the Bosnian president flew into Sarajevo, landing at the airport controlled by Serbs and negotiated his release by phone on national television.

Some other escapades of the Bosnian President:

> say you're okay with having a state split along ethnic lines
> sign a treaty saying so to avoid war
> meet US ambassador who promises he'll back your ethnicity's claim to power if you proclaim independence
> withdraw signature from treaty
> ensuing war lasts five years
> people get genocided
> state still ends up split along ethnic lines

> your army needs weapons desperately
> call for help from the Muslim world
> they send thousands of unwashed mujahideen armed with shit-tier infantry surplus
> more of a liability than anything
> everyone shits on you for bringing jihadists into Europe

Really only the Croats weren't pants-on-head retarded the whole time

kek every time I rewatch that BBC documentary about Yugoslavia and it gets to that part none of that shit makes sense and I can't comprehend it fully

Don't forget the part where they rekt a marketplace to blame it on the Serbs and got away with it in both the media and at the court.

bump

>Really only the Croats weren't pants-on-head retarded the whole time

I'd say Slovenia made was the biggest winner of that whole ordeal

Independence, and now they're the richest of post-commie Eastern Europe

btw wtf was Macedonia up to this whole time?

they just quietly fucked off with no reprisals whatsoever

they're poor now though and their country is drowning in Albanians

It's literally...and I'm not kidding...like "now great, we have a war. But its necessary, people want this war. So what do we do now? Can you please at least try to give a fuck? I'm going to 'attack' this city so you order withdrawal. What? Who did what? No, that was war crime, I never ordered it. Uh-huh. Well we'll see about that. Look, roll in those tanks, I'll let the city fall - but no harm to civilians. They ddi what?????"

The weird thing about Serbs is that they were always very competent militarily but then got fucked hard in three small random wars.

These guys fought off the Mongols.

>always very competent militarily
Haha what the fuck. There was a thread on this before, they're basically unsuccessful Jews. Trying to backstab everybody and always getting found out and knocked the fuck out.

As to their "prowess", sucking Turkish cock and crossing Anatolia to fight the Sultan's enemies, then remaining loyal when the Sultan gets fucked, counts I guess.

> Trying to backstab everybody and always getting found out and knocked the fuck out.

ah yes

just like how they got found out and knocked out in WWI :)))

Bulgarians everyone.
You and the Serbs have your very own backstabbing Olympics.

>As to their "prowess", sucking Turkish cock and crossing Anatolia to fight the Sultan's enemies, then remaining loyal when the Sultan gets fucked, counts I guess.

And if they'd turned and ran the narrative would have been that they are spineless cowards and traitors. In any case, such subservience extends only to the first couple of decades after vassalization, after which point they basically fought as rebels against the Ottomans in any war possible.

Also, you're trying to downplay the fact that they beat the freaking Timurids.

Timurid arrows couldn't pierce Serbian steel 6/28 was an inside job.