Fuggers

I googled "u fugger" as a joke and found this:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugger

>powerful banking clan
>replaced the Medici family
>financed the Habsburgs
Branches are "Fugger of the Deer" and "Fugger of the Lily"
>REALLY rich

Jacob Fugger had a monopoly on the European copper market and had a net worth between 277 and 400 modern US dollars.

Why have I never heard of these Fuggers?
What can Veeky Forums tell me about these Fuggers?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugger#History
nypost.com/2015/07/26/meet-historys-richest-man-who-changed-christianity/
economist.com/news/books-and-arts/21660074-not-nothing-was-jacob-fugger-known-jacob-rich-goldenballs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

They jewe'd the habsburgs

How so?

>Why have I never heard of these Fuggers?
You seam to be murican since you count in dollars
They bought the Habsburg the Emperorship with their money. Became nobels(atleast one branch)
Jacob Fugger d.Ä. (I hope it was him and not his son) was while being rich as fuck,literaly the richest man in the HRE, impotent and wasn't able to make an heir.
Other than the medici they never sized direct political Power but had a huge influence onthe Habsburgs

They started out trading Asian rugs.

OP here, I am absolutely Murican

There you have your answer, if you don't do research about central europeen trade between 1500-1700 or are from Germany they aren't seen as that important for public tradicion. They never had big aquisations of land, they didn't even dominate their city (Augsburg), because they weren't the only merchant dynasty there who made big money

They sure were rich Fuggers though

>Fugger of the Deer
Top kek

German here, OP.
We didnt really learn about Rockefeller in school either. Its highly specific knowledge, but here they played a huge role. There is even old buildings around that were built by Fuggers.
Would be the Rothschilds now, but really sucked at having offspring

nobility didnt engage in monetary business
it was thought to be underclass
something for merchants, just above peasantry

so a whole unexplored market and ppl always needed money
mainly the said nobility and the states

What the fug

Of course, the real question is:

>The founder of the family was Johann Fugger, a weaver at Graben, near the Swabian Free City of Augsburg.[1] His son, also called Johann (or Hans), settled in Augsburg, and the first reference to the Fugger family there is his arrival, recorded in the tax register of 1367. He married Klara Widolf and became an Augsburg citizen. After Klara's death, he married Elizabeth Gfattermann...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugger#History

>Klara Widolf
>Elizabeth Gfattermann

WHICH ONE IS THE ORIGINAL MOTHER FUGGER?

Without Jakob Fugger's intervention, Francis I of France would have become Holy Roman Emperor. History would have taken a completely different turn.

Built the Fuggerei, public housings for the poor. They still stand to this very day, still house people in need and to this very day, part of the rent is a daily prayer for the old Fuggers soul.

>and had a net worth between 277 and 400 modern US dollars.

I know they were poor back then but whoah.

>The Fuggers took over many of the Medicis' assets and their political power and influence.

I like their taste in architecture

Just googled "fugger" expecting something like "do you mean fucker?", but it is real. Op is truthful.

You'd think the board so obsessed with >H>R>E would know about the damn Fuggers.

So you're saying the fuggers failed because they forgot how to fugg?

fugg :DDD

277 to 400 billion

Are they Europa Universalis? Are they Jews?

No? Thats why.

*in EU

Jacob had huge influence over HRE politics during Maximilian's reign and basically had the final say in Charles' election over Francis II

the fucker was the major financer of the emperor's projects, who in exchange granted him the rights to exploit various silver mines in Tyrol. Fugger invested these resources in a shitload of different enterprises

The rich Fugger also Jew'ed the Pope. The Pope was shit with money so he took a loan from the rich Fugger and used the sale of indulgences to pay it back. The sale of indulgences was the main reason for the Protestant Reformation.
nypost.com/2015/07/26/meet-historys-richest-man-who-changed-christianity/

>Catholics will defend this

>replaced the Medici family
This seems like a weird thing to say. The House of Medici transitioned into being princes rather than merchants, and their bank basically fell into ruin. But it didn't really have anything to do with the Fuggers, aside from the latter buying out a great deal of former Medici assets when the former liquidated most of the bank's property at the end of the 15th century.
Even from a banking point of view, the fuggers didn't really work like the Medici.
I suppose it makes sense if you mean it like "they took over the mantle of richest family in Europe", especially since the Medici from Lorenzo onward were unbelievable wastrels.

>prevented the recreation of the Carolingian empire
>destroyed the unity of the catholic church
Why are Germans so efficient at ruining Europe ?

>those Fuggers

ironic how Jacob was also one of the fiercest oppositors of Luther

Was it because princes could now expropriate the church instead of taking loans ?

not really, it was because protestants wanted to get rid of bankers and merchants in general, especially him

Jacob feared the chaos the Reform could give birth to, bad for trade

>protestants wanted to get rid of bankers and merchants in general
That seems like a bad idea economically.

most early protestants were religious nuts and poor people that hated the Church and 1%ers (apart from their rulers)

you would call them populists today

Because Luther called out his scam

which scam?

The rich Fugger was taking a 50% cut of indulgences.

Indulgences.

What's that symbol?

What would have been different?

Fugger the Rich was responsible for ending the ban on usury and caused the fugging Protestant Reformation. economist.com/news/books-and-arts/21660074-not-nothing-was-jacob-fugger-known-jacob-rich-goldenballs

The old Carolingian Empire would have been restored.