Could one make the argument that life in the 1300s was better than life in 2016 America?

Could one make the argument that life in the 1300s was better than life in 2016 America?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=d2APy_ld6LQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yes. You would be ruled by actual king of a deep wisdom and virtue instead of populist who is also living meme. for example.

yes

no anime

Back then white people ruled their countries, there were no Rothchilds and Rockefellers.

>average medieval retard king
>deep wisdom and virtue
lmao

Really depends. Fact is, the average french serf had more free time than the average american has. Take that as you will.

If you don't care if your wife dies in childbirth, your king is (usually) a shitter far worse than many leaders today PLUS you are stuck with him for life, don't mind dying from minor illnesses and don't mind being completely illiterate unless you are a priest or helper to a king, then maybe.

I guess if you're a fucking retard.

>no internet
>no tv
>no movies
>no instant access to any rendition of millions of songs
>forced to be religious
>inbreeding with the same 200 people
>will never go beyond 3 miles from home
>human rights don't exist
>a scratch will kill you
>childbirth will kill you
>wild beasts are a legitimate threat
>everything smells 3rd world
>food in my area reduced to bread, gruel, maybe non-tropical fruit on special occasions
>meat eating is nil
>crops fail? starvation
>no instant hot & cold water
>barely anyone reads
>barely anything TO read
>homocide rate makes Detroit look like Equestria
>endemic warfare
>plague killing 1/3rd of the continent

Fuck that

and he did what with his free time exactly?

Drink himself into a stupor, rape children.

The reactionaries around here unironically believe it was a law rather than than exception the king would be raised from birth to rule and care more about his people than his own wealth, lust for power or pleassure.

Still better than living under your average Monarch.

Drink, dance, play and sing, you know, the same stuff we still do today?

People really should fucking stop peddling the enlightenment era kool-aid that the middle ages were nothing but grimdark.

Let's see, society was much less egalitarian, you were at the mercy of unelected rulers, statistically you were significantly more likely to die violently, MUCH more likely to die of disease --

Oh, yeah. OK, shoulda read the thread, pretty much has it covered.

Not anybody actually smart. Anything done in the 1300's can be done better in modern times, especially war and crusading.

>you were at the mercy of unelected rulers

The EU is run by unelected bureaucrats. Like the EU Comission.

>especially war

Was much easier back then, there was no Nato

>and crusading

Good luck with that now, if you hit a muslim refugee now you will be charged with a hate crime and the government will put you into prison.

no I just think that a truly high class person has the ability to rule indiscriminately like the egalitarians dream about, so the lower classes owe it to themselves to support a high class.

Yes, you're absolutely right, the EU is somewhat undemocratic. That's much worse than HAVING A KING.

We should scrap all those European representative democracies and turn them back into absolute monarchies. At least then they wouldn't be under the tyrannical thumb of the EU.

>war and crusading
>the same thing as beating up ethnic minorities during peacetime

Just join the military you fat fucking nazi wannabe

>beating up ethnic minorities during peacetime

>muh PEACEFUL MINORITIES

Here are your peaceful minorites preparing for another JIHAD in europe!

youtube.com/watch?v=d2APy_ld6LQ

Calm down and cut out the strawmen and hyperboles.

I think he was implying that holding "unelected" as an instant negative is dishonest. You didn't make a case for why medieval monarchies were bad, you implied that it is bad merely because it had unelected rulers.

Yes, honestly the first half of the 1300s was the high point of Western civilisation. Beautiful Gothic architecture and the beginnings of an artistic renaissance, beginnings of a scientific revolution, life was good even for peasants and there was decent social mobility, but there were still civilised ideals of chivalry and courtesy, spiritual force and unity around the Catholic Church, and intact values and tradition.

But it all went to hell around 1347 with the Black Plague and then with the Hundred Years War. The West never regained that same vitality.

Everything you just said was superficial at best, a dreamer and a melodramatic christboo

Nothing about the average persons life was good,considering all the things mentioned

>drink the watered down, shitty beer and wine flavored water that the local bar is selling
Yeah no thanks famalam.
>Dance
lol what kinda cuck actually dances? I have much more fun just standing around talking or making conversation without some inbred peasant pig girl in my arms.
>play
What, exactly? The harp? The lyre? Good thing I've got nothing but time to practice when winter comes along. Sure would be nice if I could afford an instrument
>sing
What exactly? I'm actually genuinely curious what you could sing in a world where most of the population is illiterate and hadn't outside of songs you've already heard a million times.

>Muh Enlightenment gave the medieval period a bad rap maymay
I'm sure that the destabilization of the entire continent and subsequent rule of local warlords wasn't as bad as 40k or whatever, but you're a lunatic if you seriously believe that it'd be nicer than living in Rome or someplace that actually had a functioning central government.

>this is what /pol/smokers are afraid of
Oh wow I'm really scared of eight people in a line practicing salutes. I'm sure a drone strike won't fuck their shit up

God no you fucking retard, everything about your post couldn't of happened in the 1930's, and at minimum you'd be about half way through your life right now.

oh holy fucking shit i read the OP again, you might be fucking braindead

Nope, My black ass would be a slave or some shit. I am good where I am at, but if I could pass on as a average farmer. Fuck yeah. I get to work out in the sun all day and come home and eat. I would teach myself to read or save what little money I have for someone to teach me. I would also just fucking travel but their would be the chance of getting murdered. I really don't know if I would like to live during that time.

lol the picture of a "Serf". That's a fucking 20th century farmer.

Serfs are earlier (unless you're retarded fucking Russia.)

no. you're a fucking idiot.

I mean, if you were a king and comparing yourself to some broke Somalian than yes, it was better. But that's about it.

/thread

To much progress happened after the 19th century, and too much progress continues to happen, to make nostalgia for an earlier time reasonable

All of that is either bullshit, irrelevant, things that are actually worse today, or things related to modern medicine which is obviously the case for any time prior to the late 19th century.

There were no straw men in my post and any hyperbole was obviously there for rhetorical purposes.

Nowhere did I claim that there were no unrepresentative institutions with any power today. I'm not talking absolutes here, simply noting that in general, today, people (in the west) have much more control over their governments than they did in the 1300s. Pointing out one powerful undemocratic institution does nothing to counter that.

As for whether representation is generally a good thing, although that's a case I certainly could make, I really don't feel the need to do so here, since most of us already take it as a given and some very articulate people have already done so elsewhere.

>Oh wow I'm really scared of eight people in a line practicing salutes. I'm sure a drone strike won't fuck their shit up

Why do you that the government would kill it's "new citizens"?

Your teenage cousin could give you a handjob, like, whenever you wanted.

QED

>>The EU is run by unelected bureaucrats. Like the EU Comission.
The Commission is the executive of the EU. It's the norm that the executive isn't elected.
Or when was the last time you elected a chief of the police forces? Or ministers? Or each and every fucking bureaucrat in the ministries?

Besides, the European Parliament is the elected legislative of the EU and the ones who nominate, approve and can get rid of the president of the Commission and can cast a vote of no confidence to get rid of the whole Commission at any time they want.

I'm so sick of people complaining about democratic deficits in the EU when either the accusations are simply outright false or they have the very same things in their own country but don't complain about it there.

Nope, no arguments to be found here, just biased, dismissive opinions.

No. Kill yourself you retarded memester

>Gothic architecture
>Beautiful

nah you're just a pleb :^)

No blacks

2016 is literally best time that any human species has ever experienced, there's no famine, diseases or war in western world. people in west are a lot happier than they have ever been in history.

>inb4 but... but... muh niggersjews!

like that hasn't happened before

ree why do these threads always die when i answer to them?

Haha 5 star post!

..on reddit maybe. Pls go

>muh happiness

Hapiness is completely relative, people were as happy in the past as are they today. Stop being a retard.

What about the years 1348-1358?

While happiness is relative the impact that your life can made on future is higher today than in a past. Peasant of 1300 was nobody. Even random Veeky Forums user can meme president into white house now.

>the impact that your life can made on future is higher today than in a past

That's highly debatable.

>Even random Veeky Forums user can meme president into white house now.

You're a retard.

This post is easily the most asinine thing I've seen on Veeky Forums.

>Colonies in the 1300s