Should we rebuild magnificent historic structures?

Should we rebuild magnificent historic structures?

Culturally significant structures are timeless and priceless and worth it

Instead of wasting taxes on needless dams and such...

Pic related is the great baths of Caracalla

Would be wonderful to visit there one day

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potemkin_village
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>we
What do you mean 'we'? Do you have the money for that kind of shit? I most definitely do not

I'd rather people built new, cooler things. like a giant trap and treasure filled 3D concrete labyrinth in the canadian wilderness or something.

noooo instead we gotta spend that money rebuilding stuff that people already abandoned centuries ago because "muh heritage" and for facebook selfie backgrounds and such. people like you make me sick.

1. We should build our own more magnificent structures
2. Who is gonna fund it
3. Do you really want to go to a public bath? Other people are disgusting

Rebuilding, only if there's a reason to. But I do think we should be less squeamish about repairing historic buildings. If the Greeks built a temple, and someone knocked a column down in a war, what would they do? Put the fucking column back up, of course. What do we do? Put a plaque there detailing the fate of this column, and put a cord around it so no one can touch it.

>3. Do you really want to go to a public bath? Other people are disgusting

Yes I go to public baths all the time in Japan

Sometimes I do kind of wish we could just say fuck it and restore the greatness of old archaeological sites, but they're just too precious.

Modern architecture is so fucking garbage. Comparing old Jerusalem to the ugly piece of shit mass produced cultureless skyscrapers in the background makes me want to fucking vomit.

It's also kind of shitty how most of the most physically works modern man has produced were solely made in the pursuit of wealth. Even most statues are just shitty geometric art pieces utterly devoid of creativity or real beauty.

I really, really like the ryuyong hotel. probably my favorite structure on the planet.

Agreed

Im Thai and when I went to visit the ruins of our old capital Ayuttaya(destroyed in 1767) all I saw were Chinese tourists cicking over bricks and the site slowly being even more ruined.

I wanted to kill the Chinese tourists when I saw that. Really sad considering how great our capital was. European visitors compared it to Venice

Eww, gross.

If they could be rebuilt 100% as grand as they originally were, then yes.

But we all know that they'd be cheap Las Vegas style replicas made of painted plaster and cement instead of marble. So let them stay ruins.

Pyongyang is such an eerie city, a ghost town the size of a metropolis. The only vehicle on that whole stretch of road is a single bus, likely without passengers and employed by the state for the sole purpose of making the city look less empty. I doubt that most of those buildings are occupied at all, just built for no reason other than to give the impression of prosperity. Imagine if all the funds that went into building that hollow shell went to real programs and infrastructure... is there any parallel to this in history? A massive city built not to show off the wealth of the state, but just to make it appear as though the state was wealthy?

Brazil did something similar at around the same time.

>t. Western Media

The US government should build a exact replica of the Bayreuth Festivalhaus (in Ohio or some place) and put on non-Eurotrash stagings of Wagner's operas.

for one thing, that aside, they were obviously wealthy and powerful enough to build some massive crazy future pyramid thing. you can't just "pretend" to be wealthy enough to build something like that after building it, it stops being pretend after that.
>is there any parallel to this in history?
look at any huge-ass tomb or autist-level statue.

>liking anything modern

>Disliking modernism

Rebuilt? No, not until they fully collapse. Restored? yes pls

my god shut up don't fucking defend nk

>Hitler was a monster! He personally raped every woman in France!
>Uhh... no he didn't.
>Shut up! How can you defend Hitler?

No. But what they're doing at Cluny is the right idea, creating a 3D reconstruction that you can see and visit using goggles. Just refine that.

I once talked to a guy working in a restoration workshop about this problem and he gave basically two reasons why they don't just rebuild/restore damaged art and architecture.
1. Lack of funding.
2. By reconstructing any historical building in its original state would also mean ignoring its history, like later modifications, wars, centuries of neglect, etc.
Also, it'll probably end up looking and feeling like a generic theme park.

The northkorean upperclass has cars and lives in the city, its real but all of the country being like this is ofc a lie.
The norks life in something akin to a feudal medieval state where all the riches of its subjects get transported to the capital.

Also..
How about romanticism and building new shit after wewuzzery?

>Dams
>Pointless
Do you even understand what they are for?

>Instead of wasting taxes on needless dams and such...
t. Liberal Arts pro

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potemkin_village

Building with ancient techniques and style : why not ?
Building on ancient sites : not à good idea, look how it ended in Cnossos for instance

Big thing in Hungary.

Really no worse than a pool.

that sounds comfy af tho

Chinese tourists are cancer.

>Comparing old Jerusalem to the ugly piece of shit mass produced cultureless skyscrapers in the background makes me want to fucking vomit.
Have you ever been to Jerusalem? Because city planning laws literally ban those skyscrapers and all the buildings in the city are designed to look old.