/domg/ - Dominions General

New Nation Edition

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.
The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 3000 units, 900 spells and 400 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.
It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.
Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/wjbSA98Y

>Drawfaggotry
dominionsdraws.imgur.com/

>DOMINIONS 5 IS OUT.

>Where do I get it?
Currently only available on Steam.
store.steampowered.com/app/722060/Dominions_5__Warriors_of_the_Faith/

>Manual
illwinter.com/dom5/dom5manual.pdf
illwinter.com/dom5/dom5tables.pdf

>Mod inspector
larzm42.github.io/dom5inspector/

>Multiplayer guide
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1212948582

>Debug mod
dropbox.com/s/oo492x2cs8vag34/debug509.zip?dl=0

>How do I change the fonts?
Replace guifont.ttf, guifont_fancy.ttf and guifont_texty.ttf in the game's 'data' folder (C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Dominions5\data usually).

>Is there an easier way to play multiplayer?
rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/dominions-4-pbem-manager-new-stuff.104015/
Works for Dominions 5 just as well.

>Completed games
Submit them here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeuclmaCiRo8vcTztsKjPJxnBgRDE-E1uNvE5j0x5wDZMMhRA/viewform
Results:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OxILAa3Y_O7Vk2NFhKAAQfStHqh1WJXMkGCim9sQ_ns/edit#gid=1292233344

>OP pastebin
Just copypaste it and link the previous thread below.
pastebin.com/RbFWcFcU

>Previous Pantokrator:
>

Other urls found in this thread:

nofile.io/f/tdMnNeJkPXC/Midgaard.map
nofile.io/f/Jg9PxEd1gwQ/Midgaard_winter.rgb
nofile.io/f/HZBPg3c5R4G/Midgaard.rgb
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=FrontierWarfare
i.imgur.com/aTjtFGv.jpg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for aboleth traps.

Lemuria, see

does a weapon with two attack types do both (20% armor negate/20% extra damage after protection/50% more damage to head) or only half of each?

50% chance of one or the other happening

>call out in bread
>extend timer
>still doesn't take turn
Anyone interested in subbing for a big fat turn 40 Lemuria who hasn't even had to fight anyone but keeps staling out of laziness?

>starting army + 3 turns of recruitment takes a capring throne on turn 4
>discobolus in a target rich environment are monstrous

>4 turns of recruitment
lol

It's not bad for a throne.

was deferring conquering other capring provs outside the attack and shuffle back on turns 2-3 because it was the best time seasonally to cross a mountain range for 2 high resource capring provs

be less of a fuckwit

I mean, you can get away with whatever you want in SP, that doesn't mean that it's not funny that you sat in your cap for 3 turns

>360g in units kill 25 units + 2 friendlies = 14.4g/kill - 2 friendly units
>408g in units kill 40 units = 10.2g/kill - 0 friendlies
and this is in an ideal smallish-medium sized fight with big clumps of melee where the fight's nearly done when they run out of ammo
they'd go from inferior to dogshit in a fight that lasts even a moderate amount of turns

Do the Mekone giants have magic armor like MA Ulm or do they get wrecked by destruction and acid?

sat in my cap for 2 turns, would be 1 in future games cause clearly this is a blind expansion nation

disco stats are caveman tier in melee, good enough to justify their lack of ammo

giants do, humans dont

oh and it's expansion testing, valid SP experience
so far I've learned the following: EA Heavy Cav gets fucked by the starting army, Barbarians gets fucked, Thrones gets fucked. I think that just leaves cavemen and bone tribe to test against.

Cavemen are a joke though

cavemen are a joke for recruitment, as indie defenders they can be as much of a speedbump as barbarians or heavy cav (and discobolus are significantly better than cavemen on review) for size 2 nations though

No one wants to sub for a strong Lemuria?
Pls, you may well be able to run over everyone else immediately. I just don't want to be stuck fighting another fucking AI in this game I was having so much fun with.

>bumps into your awake expander
Ooops, sorry user haha :)

MAma_just_killed_a_man: Staling data

Nation Turn 17 Turn 18 Turn 19 Turn 20 Turn 21 Total stales
Nazca Turn received Turn received Turn received Turn received Turn received 0
Caelum Turn received Turn received Turn received Turn received Turn received 0
Ulm Turn received Turn received Turn received Turn received Turn received 0
Ashdod Turn received Turn received Turn received Turn received Turn received 1
Oceania Turn received Turn received Turn received Turn received Turn received 0
Ermor Turn received Turn received Turn received Turn received Turn received 0
> Abysia Turn received Turn received Turn received Staled Staled 4

inb4 admin is Abysia or Man and has already abandoned the game

E M A I L
H
T
L L A M A B E A S T

>disco stats are caveman tier in melee, good enough to justify their lack of ammo
Being on-par with one of the shittiest units around isn't exactly a redeeming quality, you know.

cavemen are one of the shittiest units for cost, not one of the shittiest units
they can soak 2 hits from human weapons, and put out lethal damage if they hit your units in that time, if there's a lot of them they can really put a dent in an un-prepared army

you'd never recruit them for melee because they really are awful for cost, but if they had throw stones (and no undisciplined) like MA Agartha's Ancient ones you might consider them as an auxillary when you had excess gold

This is spring of Year 1, so turn 14 of my test expansion
14 provs in that time aint fantastic, but being about to drop in on (AI) arcos cap as part of normal expansion without breaking a sweat is pretty sweet, and I'd consider this a fuck-up of test expansion if not for taking 2 thrones in that time

oh and there's been enough gold leftover to start a fort on the throne/farmland prov, as well as a temple
>532 resources in the capitol is only all 12 of the 4/turn recruits and half a human hoplite
nearly 20 human hoplites per turn at the start of year 1 aint bad though

>cavemen are one of the shittiest units for cost, not one of the shittiest units
Discobolus have about the same cost as cavemen, so that distinction seems entirely irrelevant.

If we were talking 10g units with caveman stats it might matter.

>but if they had throw stones (and no undisciplined) like MA Agartha's Ancient ones you might consider them as an auxillary when you had excess gold
If I had literally zero other choices I might recruit some garbage.

This justifies calling them a good unit and recruiting them as standard practice, how?

I'll do it.

need someone to sub/set AI now, I'm in the /v/anheim steam chat

Alright, either post email or give discord ID so you can message me it and I'll sub you in.

[email protected]

Done and turn resent. Host is in 20mins, is +1hr enough to get your turn in?

Holy kek no, but I'll do it anyway. Why did I accept this shit at 8:32AM when I haven't slept.

Is there a chatroom on discord for this or anything special?

Nope. You can wave down a player in the thread if you want to scheme in live chat, but nothing's organized.

Uuuuh, you got a download for the map we're using here? I'm coming in pretty absolutely blind, I only just opened the Dom general now after a few months.

>ask the Discord for someone to set AI
>rando decides fuckit, I'll sub abysia under BoT
based

Has anyone got this Midgaard map? The llama server doesn't have it on it's dropbox link any more.

nofile.io/f/tdMnNeJkPXC/Midgaard.map
nofile.io/f/Jg9PxEd1gwQ/Midgaard_winter.rgb
nofile.io/f/HZBPg3c5R4G/Midgaard.rgb
Sorry, didn't see the DL was removed. I uploaded here. Lemme know if you're good. I'll extend another hour.

Fair warning, I've never played Lemuria in Dom5. Wish me good luck!

Well apparently they're the top popkill nation in the game now.
Good luck, and thanks for jumping in.

Admin hasn't advertised this thread so
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=FrontierWarfare
join up faggets
7/12

forgot to add details, LA game, map is random

Fuck You

>tfw no EA game

But who is the boss of this gym? I obviously don't mean the Leatherman.

Sacred bless or mage bless for EA Abysia? Also is it worth taking D1 or 2 scales? It's a tiny pop decrease but I'm afraid it will start making itself felt a lot later in the game around turn 40.

It depends.

One good rule of thumb is how long do you expect the game to be.

A small game is much more lenient to death scales, while a huge, long game will really make you pay for going high into death.

Do battlefield wide spells like firestorm end if the mage casting it dies?

Firestorm is an enchantment so Yes.

The ones which have a constant effect every round do.

Ones like army of lead, which give a buff that lasts for the rest of the battle, don't

>tfw chasing full rainbow
>on a nation without good rainbow booster paths
>without a rainbow pretender
>and you're actually making great progress
>except
THERE ARE NO FUCKING CRYSTAL COIN CRAFTERS TO MERCHANT REEEEEEEE

I would crystal your coin merchant, stupid frogposter.

Next post chooses the nation I play next. Any age is fine. Actually one for each age would be better.

EA Pelagia
MA R'lyeh
LA R'lyeh

sounds painful but ok

EA Agartha
MA Agartha
LA Agartha

Make Agartha Great Again

What would be a good nation to play with summons or ritual spells?
Have played a bless strategy and mage strategy so far

So for Mekone-

Is this finally a nation where having very few magic paths is good? Spend all your points on scales instead?

You probably get unaging and revinvigoration, because your mages are all sacred and most of them are old, then all scales.

Precboost, maybe?

precboost is best because Air is hard to get good access in, so a pretender with it usually gets double value out of it

Mekone is an elemental staff crafting nation (FS craft, not AE (on first)), and once you have the first ele staff it opens up the ability to craft every air booster

IMO T2-3, P3, H3, G0, L3, M1+ (Unaging) with mage bless. Burning Ones are 1/square and way too expensive, they're wasted points when your standard troops are so great. They're heavy armor and have bad defense even with shields, so just shit out the flail dudes and get 6 big hits/square.
Growth is so good and death so bad that I wouldn't go lower than neutral with them unless you're blitzing.
You absolutely need scales but a mage bless doesn't hurt.

Going to disagree about going full scales or even mage bless.

Prod 3 and Growth 3 are probably mandatory, but you can safely dump Order and Magic/Luck are low priority. That gives you a fair bit of room for magic paths.

What it looks like Mekone desperately needs is some way to break into diversity lategame. The best choices for mage blesses just give them more of the paths they already have.

Instead I'd look to pick up a dormant pretender with a good amount of at least one from death/astral/nature, so you can use other paths lategame. Nature gives the unaging bless, death gives you the most potential diversity, and astral gives multipath boosters and an increase to sacred mage casting range.

>T2-3, P3, H3, G0, L3, M1+ (Unaging) with mage bless.
Won't T2-3 be very annoying for blood hunting? Also I was thinking of taking D2 scales due to the halved penalty for a half-dead bless, is there any advantage to taking unaging instead? I am already disregarding Burning Ones, they don't seem worth taking a bless for at all. I tried a O3P3H3D2M0M0 magebless (reinvig is an obvious pick, but unsure if to take farcaster or penetration) and expansion with salamanders seems to go very well (would use the flyers but with attack rear being less reliable they seem to die a lot). Big issue with my pretender is no B paths so if I want to summon lategame blood stuff I need to rely on boosters and empowering old mages (who aren't sacred, so no bless will help there).

Do Murdering Winter/Flames from the Sky hit hiding units?

now that we have formation fighting giants, when will we get Formation Fighter (2)?

Formation fighter (3) dwarf units when?

Is there any hard limits on the number of soldiers you can bring into the battlefield?

Isn't that what heart companions have, a higher level of formation fighter?

you can only bring as many as the commanders you move are leading

I don't think so, they're just sacred

Heart Companions can fit 5 troops in one square from memory. It just doesn't differentiate in the trait text.

Is there a max number of COMMANDERS that then take TROOPS into the field at once?

A couple extra points of unrest isn't a big deal when you're already producing dedicated patrollers, and compliments luck.
Death actually actively lowers your population (certainly much faster than a couple points of unrest), which is a bigger impact on both blood hunting and your long-term economy. Unaging primarily stops your dragons from being very old men and generally protects your anathemants from decay which would otherwise wreck them.
This is what I came up with earlier. Gets you into all of the more attainable boosters and lets you effectively have 5-6 in anything on your pretender, up to 8 blood without even any of the super expensive shit.
Not letting me upload for some reason, it's:
Great Warlock
1F/4A/3W/4E/3S/3D/3N/4B
5D T3/P3/H3/G0/L3/M2

>Growth 3.
In Doms4 the whole "Abysia gets half benefits from growth scales" text was bullshit. Doms 5 has the same text, does it apply this time?

Is LAsports C'tis around?
It does in the pretender scales effects calculations, at least.

>tfw no modpbem to play WH skaven in

I think Veeky Forums is dying at the moment so I can't upload images, but I checked to make sure and all Arco's regular Formation Fighters fit 4 to a square, but HCs fit 5.

I'm here

That's pretty HC

Yes, Abysia does seem to properly get half benefit.

That post is replying to what he said about the new dom5 nation though, not his advice to you regarding Abysia.

I don't see how mekome is supposed to be bad. 21 prot 2/square giants with anti-sacred weapons in EA seems like it should be good

rush nation without sacreds
it's like if MA Ulm had nothing to carry them through the mid-game

>singular earth dog steadily whittles down army of 50+ tuatha warriors as surrounding nations cannibalize me instead of REMOVING ELF

I hate you all.

>playing berry and expecting to live long
they're probably just happy it's a non-blood nation taking your blood capsite

>taking my capsite
I hope they try. 40/50 Tuatha warriors dead, capitol is clear, and elves are down to 4 provinces. Come get me, nerds.

How would you guys equip a golem to fight a giant pile of 200 mictlan eagles with just blood surge? Assume const 6 as tech with all path access as limitations.

With just a golem? You research constr 8 and give him a gift of kurgi. Anything else is going to fail.

With a better strategy.

You need bone armor for it to heal, that's for sure.
I would give it ironface but then you need crystal coin to be able to teleport.

Vine shield is a must, as usual, and then a brand, probably frost.

Boots of quickness and girdle of might or bracers of protection maybe.

But test it before actually sending it to your enemy, please.

bone armor, boots of stone, vine shield, main gauche of parrying, cat charm, wraith crown, copper arm and a shield of gleaming gold

in an ideal situation I'd use a better chassis than a golem though

does normal life regen items(ring of regen) not work?

Now that the big bois are out, can someone explain the precise mechanics of formation fighter? I get that it means more units in a square, but I don't think it reduces effective size, right?

golems are lifeless so no

https/i.imgur.com/b9kF5IRr.jpg
and
i.imgur.com/aTjtFGv.jpg

it means one more of that unit type can fit in the square, so size 2 formation fights can fit 4 units, size 3 formation fights can fit 3 units, size 4/5/6 can presumably fit 2 units in a square

lowest size unit in square's size value is added to the max size of the square if all units in the square have formation fighter

Any alternatives for life sustain besides bone armor?

spear of the morrigan and wraith sword
in a nutshell though, no.

Why wraith crown instead of a horror helmet if you're going shield of gleaming gold? You should be able to cast ethereal before the eagles hit, and I doubt a handful of longdead is going to buy you much time against 200 eagle warriors. Fear might at least let you win some more awe rolls since eagle warriors only have 11 morale, maybe you'll even manage to kill 10 eagle warriors before you die and lose your 125 gem investment.

Uh... I can only think of hell sword (cool and fun item but not so good but that gives your nerd berserker and a life drain attack) and blood thron (which is a bad option for SCs).

I forgot all about the astral paths
in that case ironface and boots of the behemoth

and that setup is 16 def on 14 parry (parry stacks right, it's just that it's sequential and not additive, ie. shield 1 is rolled for 17-25, shield two is rolled for 26-30?) with awe 1 and a vine shield, it's gonna get a lot of value out of the bone armor by just standing under pressure.