God is dead

>God is dead

What did he mean by this?

>What did he mean
*tip fedora*

*tips fedora*

He means the Judeo-Christian Biblical meta narrative stopped being the dominant world view in Europe.

The belief in God is dead (or should be)
Basically this

He means religion is no longer able to satisfy the intellectual and spiritual needs of modern Europeans.

he was being euphoric

Because after he saw my dubs, he stopped believing.

He meant that Christianity is a meme, much like STEM degrees.

Europe, in losing faith in god lost the base for morality. Before the church dictated right from wrong, now there isn't a clear source of morality in western society, as any other source is flawed, since there is no perfect being to make a perfect morality.

The madman parable is literally less than two pages long why don't you fucking actually read for once instead of making a thread asking a question you could've answered yourself in like 60 seconds.

He means that god's hate of gays and trannies ends, they have the rights now.The world will become a little bit gayer and happier.

Is that what The Gay Science is about?

Plus the meta-narrative doesn't have the believability it once had in the minds of Europeans

This is how I have always understood it.

That's due to the French Revolution and the rise of humanism and philosophical naturalism.

Friedrich Nietzsche, Karl Marx, Charles Darwin and Sigmund Freud are the “four horsemen” that heralded the nihilistic modern age.

Fortunately, the Bible is true so it doesn't matter what anyone thinks.

What he meant by that is God is dead, and we killed him.

What doesn't make sense?

He meant that the search for universal truth is over, and the existence of such is now impossible, because we have come so far in our insight as to no longer have room or tolerance for faith or even a good reason for such a concept.

In the passage he proceeds to ask if we must become gods ourselves now to appear even worthy enough for such an event. Hence what perspectivism really is: the deification of ourselves. We are all eternally recursive ends to ourselves, both means and ends, will to power alone.

FINALLY someone understands!

blasphemy

for you

Hail Satan!

How is it blasphemy?

Do you actually believe in some anthropomorphic God that lives in the sky?
The Bible taken literally is laughable, just like any other Holy Book. They were NOT meant to be taken literally as if they were a history book, they are myths, and myth is steeped in metaphor.

God is a transcendental idea and is not reliant on empirical knowledge.

This is all laid out in Kant's philosophy circa the 18th century. Why literalism is still taught is beyond me.

the Holy Bible is the infallible Word of God and the only viable explanation of human history, starting with our creation by God 6000 years ago.

Thank God!!

Look, I feel with you. I was raised a literalist, but I'm not anymore. I'm not doing this shit with you again tonight. My money is on you saying you're in your sixties.

It was the first draft of his suicide note.

Nietzsche had incredibly low self esteem and was easily swayed by artists; though he tried to cover it up by being overbearing and edgy like most narcissists. Claiming to be God in faux, ironic, cleverness was merely symptomatic of a deeper madness.

Fascinated by his own insanity, he claimed a visionary prescience developed in him that allowed him the true sight and certain knowledge of the future. Though it also compelled him to seek out more and more unpopular cultural content from which to compose his sense of self.

His professors tried to dissuade him from Holderlin's poetry in favor of something more clearly German. Yet they could not salubriously deny the audacity of his depraved mind without driving him deeper into a cycle of self reinforcing social ostracism; declaring every rejected piece of detritus 'his favorite' to the disgust of his peers.

One cryptic paper given to his mentor Ernst Ortlepp survives from an 1864 zine. In it, Nietzsche foretells 'An Equestrian Paradise' and the '/MLP/' in lurid yet, exacting detail. After Ortlepp's death, mere weeks after meeting Nietzsche, scholars were unable to piece together the mad ramblings of 'Equine perfection' and alien nations found 'through the 4th wall'.

Scholarship in the early 1900s derives a clear aetiology from the Houyhnhnm nation of Jonathan Swift who also died under a similar madness. Swift, like Nietzsche's unsettled final years were coupled with casual productions of canniabalistic and macabre literature. Though only in the 21st century do we know the true reason for these morbid tendencies.

Now the actions of these madmen come into focus. We can now say that Nietzsche, driven by this legacy of ever increasing lunacy, one day took tight hold to a horse, in an attempted jump through the inter-dimensional soul bridge to Equestria; becoming 'an hero' in the end. (pic related)

We will never know if he made it or not. But his cult lives on.

is this pasta? cause it's hilarious

These are fine surface readings but they ignore the obvious points of the aphorism: the title, characters, and ending.
It's called the Madman for a reason, referencing the consensus reality of the western world in the time of Nietzsche and to this day. In a way Nietzsche was highlighting the shortsightedness of the intellectuals of his day and the blinders effect of the modernist movement in general. Representing this, the atheists that the madman spoke to in the street were ignorant of the implications of a lack of belief, and the functions of emotional support and societal cohesion that that belief supported, however illusory it may be. The atheists of the aphorism mocked the madman for his insight expressed through the, reasonable, sense of profound loss. As earlier posters have mentioned, these atheists were very much like the "fedora tippers" of our day, where the ignorant are ignorant of their own ignorance. The aphorism ends with the sentiment that he has spoken too early and that most people have yet to realize what has happened: the death of god (i.e. that god does not exist and that this fact leaves us in a reality without intrinsic meaning and that we might have to take responsibility for building our own meaning in life and not rely on either god or others to hand it to us on a silver platter). While a minority of individuals have come to know of the event of the death of god fewer still know of its terrifyingly sublime implications.

>God is dead
Christianity was becomming less and less important in people's lives. The church and the Bible weren't dominant anymore
>and we killed him
Humans killed the idea of God and the consequences could be big. Nietzsche wasn't religious himself but he observed that removing something as massive as the idea of God had and still has big effects on our lives.

WHAT DID HE MEAN BY THIS

no
no
yes... but not only that, he also explained that new narratives would show up trying to sit in this throne. Some of them are Marxism and sciences.
yes
not exacly. there is faith in any belief system, that is important to understand. You go to work everyday thinking you will get to your job in one piece. Thats faith. You actually belive you are real and not some sort of a simulated videogame being played by a very powerful AI.There is no way to disprove it, and you dont really think to prove otherwise. because you firmelly belive it to be true.
like allways, and that is good.
not with those digits.
a very powerful meme, that would make empires rise and fall.
yes and no, The death of god is a power rupture. religion was not the truth dealer anymore. i agree that the moral collapsed just after that, but the new narratives are fighting to have the right to dictate new values. Nietzsche actually thinks we dont need to ask someone to tell us what is good or bad. Those things should be put to proof, almost like a science to check if a value is good or bad to life.
yeah good one. im not really sure he will conclude anything alone reading those pages.
could not be more wrong.
never read it.
true

i see what you did there.
sorry to inform you, but nietzsche was not a nihilist. he is just in that list because he broke all those other "four horsemen" except for freud obviously because freuds work only happened after nietzsche passing (1900) and freuds interpretation of dreams (his first hit) happens in 1900. So not only nietzsche was not an nihilist, as his ideas can fuck up marx, darwin, freud AND the bible. He could crush all of them and then he would shout : Do your own set of values and test it if its good for life before trying to impose it to other people you nigger! (the nigger part was just for the lulz).

That he killed that nigga lol

Wouldn't the obvious points be the surface reading here?

That is all valid about the passage, for sure. But the social commentary aspect of the passage is the "surface reading" in my mind. Understanding God as universal truth and the philosophical implication of this death is the broader subject.

He means God is dead. We killed him.