Flags

What is Veeky Forums favorite flag from history?

don't have to like the country btw, just the flag

pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-headed_eagle
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>slip

I always like the battle flag of the Confederate army and I'm not even American.

No edginess, I really think it looks good. it's like...a powerful looking flag you know? the bold red and black.

This one indeed looks good, the regular one (red background with black swastika inside a white circle) is a bit dull imo

I also think the naval flag of imperial Japan looks sweet as fuck

All those little shields are the crests of Rus principalities right?

Also why do so many slav countries have double eagles on flag/crests?

I just love the colours

>Double eagle
Muh Orthadox heritage

not this?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-headed_eagle

or pic related?

not a country idc

Kiev was based.

Not an an-com, but I've always loved this flag.

This flag wins. Can't think of a cooler flag. But pic related is at least a runner up.

Never seen that before. P cool.

The one that foremost comes to mind

> mfw the last remains of the Roman empire died 550 years ago.

Good night sweet prince, only dreams now ;_;

this looks like edgy fan art of the original swastika flag I don't like it

I know that all things considered it was a cruel and barbaric state for pretty much its entire history, and responsible for a lot of evil shit. At the same time there is just something about a state that important in world history becoming a pathetic rump and then vanishing forever that hits me hard.

If you like red and black then try this on for size :^)

I really like the proportions (1:2), it's quite simple, and it's easy to remember.

I always saw them as heroic.

I know this is bait but I always thought the Soviet Flag and how quickly it developed from a backwards monarchic shit hole to superpower is really impressive desu. That and the efforts of the Soviet people in WW2 were almost superhuman.

They were no worse than any other kingdom at the time, and they did a lot to advance western culture and laws. But they couldn't last forever. I think they would be fine with us fondly remembering them.

>They were no worse than any other kingdom at the time

Well it's more that they were in a position to employ more efficiently brutal tactics to further their interests. Mass deportations. Randomly raiding across the frontier and burning, raping and pillaging, which ironically caused the neighbouring tribes to coalesce into larger confederations like the Franks and Alamanni who later fucked them hard. Mass enslavement. Exterminating absolutely everybody in certain cities they conquered. It wasn't that these things weren't unheard of, but the Romans made them policy and didn't do them ad hoc.

>I think they would be fine with us fondly remembering them.

I always wonder how much perspective the ancients had when it came to their own position in the cosmos. I mean were the ones that saw the eventual fall of their civilization? Did they wonder how people would later see them? It's hard to say really. An interesting thought though.

Back then you could bring eternal salvation to the native peoples of the Indies by killing a few hundred thousand of them while carrying a sweet flag.

I think ever since the fall of the Ancient Greeks and the other kingdoms of antiquity, the destruction of civilization has been a thing people have feared.

The actual PLA flag isn't so great but this emblem is sex.

probably this one

The Qing dynasty in a nutshell

not even a britbong, I just think their flag is aesthetic as fuck

This tbqh

How has this not been mentioned

I think the old Joseon naval flag is awesome as fuck. It looks entirely alien.

The fuck are you on about our flag is fucking dogshit, we have dragons and shields and we chose to use the fucking lines.

Can't unsee

Kek.

Welsh flag looks like ass, like really a dragon on green ground and a white background? Looks like a kindergartner's drawing. shit colors, no sense of unity

the union jack has the right balance between it's patterns and is just pleasing to look at. Symmetry is on point, and it is distinctive -- immediately recognizable to anyone.

fuck the welsh

Kinda. From left, anti-clockwise: Kazan, Poland, Taurida; Kiev, Vladimir and Novgorod; Finland, Georgia, Siberia and Astrakhan.

The largest middle shield portrays Saint George slaying a dragon.

Looks like someone from China, il desu

yeah it looks like some kind of cryptogram

this flag gets a lot of points for honesty

>Did they wonder how people would later see them?
And what did they wonder of the legacies before Rome?

Came here to post this. Based kazakhbro.

I came

I really like the colors.

actually pretty decent. Has a kind of cool sci-fi vibe going on.

where did they get that "barbed" design from?

alien is certainly right. Cool though.

Central Asian flags are the best

very nice wa wa wee wa

I like how happy the bear looks. Dudes obviously thrilled to carry an orthodox bible around for people.

I went to a persian resturant and they had flags like this all over the place (sweden)

The flag for the briefly independent and short lived original Azerbaijan Democratic Republic is /aesthetic/

No it isn't, it is literally a stolen Turkey flag, which the turks stole from Byzantium.

>turks stole from Byzantium
nice try

that's the iranian diaspora for you
they are still loyal to the shah and tell you to say persia instead of iran. they also deny that zoroastrianism is dead and that iran is a muslim country

Much nicer

>communist Jolly Roger with ISIS vibe
what's not to love?

Agreed. The new Union Jack look retarded.

>nice try

You just illustrated his point exactly. The Sultanate of Rum was on former Byzantine territory, and is called Rum because Rum = Rome.

Kys

Shit tier flag

no

Why's the filename in French?

because i'm french

Bien dit

I always liked some of the American Revolutionary flags. The Moultrie Flag and Pine Tree Flag are also cool in my opinion.

Say what you will about them, the Nazis had style.

Beats the regular French flag any day of the week.

before we became kebab it was better than typical moon and star I think.

Friend of mine made this, we kind of a have a light obsession with Mosley

Taiwan is a cute. CUTE!

that flag is amazing

Commie china should change their flag to this when they finish absorbing Mongolia and conquer Taiwan. Put a star on it or something commie cool

PASS THE VODKA IVAN

What is that gif of?

this will always be the most aesthetic flag in history.

The fall of the Roman Empire in the west. Someone in a Total War thread made it I believe.

India has some of the best flags.

that looks gay af