I know we don't usually talk about the effect the Catholic Church had on Western Civilization...

I know we don't usually talk about the effect the Catholic Church had on Western Civilization, but it there more truth to the idea that the west's true "age of reason" was from the 4th-17th centuries?

I've been reading historians like Rodney Stark, and I'm thoroughly convinced that life was a million times better in the middle ages than it was in the Roman Empire. I'm also starting to suspect that even though the medievals weren't as "technologically advanced" as moderns are, they still greatly exceeded us in morality and wisdom.

I'm looking for more books that prove that Europe was at its peak in enlightenment under the guidance of the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8SoOK8N5ZV0
amazon.com/Rose-Cross-Reason-Eighteenth-Century-Rosicrucianism/dp/1438435606
cornellpress.cornell.edu/book/?GCOI=80140100664050
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>peak enlightenment
More like peak BLACKED.

Philosophy and Civilization in the Middle Ages, by Maurice de Wulf.

The Evolution of Medieval Thought, by David Knowles.

A History of Philosophy Volume 2, by Frederick Copleston.

Any essay by William A. Wallace on the history of science.

Rodney Stark is the Jared Diamond of Medieval history.

The Church is evil and ruled by satan

>""""Holy""""
>""""Apostolic""""
>""""Church""""

That's a weird way of saying Satan's Babylonian mystery religion.

The Medieval period wasn't nearly as bad as the memes would have us believe, but let's not get carried away. Barring a few people, any period in history far removed from what a person is used to would suck mad wiener. A medieval person would probably lose their mind today, as would one of us in 13th century Europe.

That only makes Catholicism more interesting. I wish they would let the Paganism out of the closet already.

Why the obsession with pine cones? Is it because of the pineal gland/third eye nonsense? Esoteric stuff like this is pretty interesting, desu.

t. Satanist

You are one of simple mind.

>fedora

Yes, it's also connected with Kundalini/Sophia/Serpent wisdom crap.

Catholics have blocked the Gospel in Europe and Muslims have blocked the Gospel in North-Africa and Asia minor.

> overused meme
you really showed us

>mitre

Thank God for the Reformation.

Reminder that Hermetic and Gnostic Christianity are the only interpretation of Christianity that makes sense.

Reminder that resurrected Jesus is the sulphur or red king of alchemy.

The medical ages were for sure a big improvement in quality of life for most people.

The Roman high life as we always see affected only a small elite in the empire while the majority of people were just slaves.

The moral authority of the church that was broken by the reformation changed a lot.
The highest power returned back to country leaders. Christian values didn't play a role anymore for politics. This allowed the 30 years war were Christians slaughtered each other for the gain of power of some protestant kings.

During this very weak period the Turks conquered big parts in the Balkans. This division gave Islam a dominant position in south eastern Europe that finally was broken during the siege of Vienna. And slowly fought back.

>The medical ages were for sure a big improvement
Can't argue with that. Nothing like medicine to improve people's lives.

> Hermetic
Wasn't Hermes a fucking pagan god?
How this makes sense?!

I'm sorry. I am at work and writing from my phone. Such auto-correct mistakes happen.

The Catholic church is the only real church with the orthodox one. Both go back to Jesus himself.

Your just some "protestants". You are the liberal devaluation of the traditional.

> only real church
> with the orthodox one

Catholicism came from the Nicolaitians which Jesus said He hated.

Constantine made Catholicism the "official" religion.

The Protestants believe in Grace through Faith, Jesus alone is the mediator between man and God.

Just as the Pharisees persecuted Jesus, so have the Catholics persecuted Christ's followers.

Popery is satanic and has no basis in scripture or the fathers

>Constantine made Catholicism the "official" religion.
No he didn't, and Roman Catholicism didn't exist until the 11th century

Hermes Trismegistus was a mythical Egyptian priest, king and philosopher. It was believed that he was a contemporary of Abraham. Early Medieval Catholics considered him to be a wise philosopher, precursor to Christianity, because he spoke of the Logos as the son of God. Later textual criticism revealed that Hermetic texts were from the Hellenistic period, not very Ancient Egypt, though.

The Catholic Church never formally condemned Hermeticism.

Many among the Catholic clergy were Hermeticists, including Popes. Some say even Albertus Magnus and Thomas Aquinas.

Pic related is a depiction of Hermes in a Medieval Italian Cathedral.

Roman Catholicism was invented by Constantine.

Protestants go back to the true teachings of Jesus Christ.

Christ's church.

Not Rome's church.

>Catholic praising a Gnostic/Luciferian that practices astrology, divination and witchcraft

The true holy church.. of Satan.

>ywn be a based philosopher/wizard king
Why live?

Oh you Protestants are a funny bunch.

Pretty interesting.

>Facts are funny
>God's Word is funny
>lol fuck jesus, my traditions and philosophies are more important

Let's see how funny it is burning in the lake of fire.

But that's wrong, protestantism came from princes in the HRE who didn't want to pay taxes and be dependant on Rome. It always amazes me how uneducated the average Veeky Forumstorian seems to be.

>Roman Catholicism was invented by Constantine.
No it wasn't. It did not exist until many centuries after Constantine's death.
>Protestants go back to the true teachings of Jesus Christ.
Yep

Oh stop it ;^)

>Some nobles used the Protestant movement to become sovereign and independent from Rome

>this means all the Reformers had this same motive

Looks like you are clueless and uneducated.

(You)

What, you mean the term 'Protestant'? Because if that's not all you mean then you're retarded

No, but that's a big part of why it spread like wildfire. To be fair i did phrase that rather poorly.

ITT: Catholics openly admitting they worship Baal/Lucifer.

/thread

>Baal
>Lucifer
You funny, user kun!

And Jesus said to Petrus to build him a house.

You don't even use the real bible but some censored shit like the King James bible.

You still have the teaching and the motivation of destruction. Your aim is to destroy Jesus house on earth.

Jesus said you will know them by their fruit.

>Catholics
Pagan worship, idolatry, Satanism in the Vatican, oppression and persecution of true believers, care about worldly recognition

>Bible-believing Christians
Personal relationship with Christ, peaceful, joy, communion, thankfulness, godliness, filled with the holy spirit, set apart from the world

There were always critics of the church. But in the to.e of the reformation they finally had some strong dudes that would gain enough power from this to be interested in backing them up.

>oppression and persecution
Protestants are proto-SJWs.

>Protestants settle in the New World
>become the greatest country on earth

>Catholics settle in the New World
>turn into smelly shitholes

Really makes you think.

Not an argument.

>use a bible that was approved by an English king that declared himself as the head of his church after censoring some unconvinient parts of it
>This is considered bible believing in shartia

[citation needed]

The KJV uses the original Greek manuscripts from Byzantine.

The Catholics use corrupt Egyptian manuscripts found in a trash bin.

>oppression and persecution
Christians are proto-SJWs.

>he defends his censored bible
You must be really deep into this.

What is censored? I'm asking for proof.

You're making bold claims without backing it up.

How come European protestants are actually rational people, while American protestants are hurqa durqa Muslim tier?

It always makes me ashamed as fuck to be also a protestant. Evangelicals need to be gassed.

Kek. Google is your friend.

Unbelievable that you're too retarded to write a word in click on search.

How do I get into Hermeticism?
Seems neat, but isn't a huge portion of it just alchemical mumbo jumbo?

So no evidence?

Nothing but paranoid schizophrenic ramblings from a Catholic child-fucking pedophile. Got it.

You can stick to your pagan traditions that have nothing to do with Christ, I'll stick to the Word of God.

Join the Freemasons or any other occult organization.

Sell your soul to the devil.

>Protestants go back to the true teachings of Jesus Christ
Word, it was pretty effin sweet when Jesus invented Protestantism in 16th Century Germany.

Protestant is just an umbrella term retard, they call themselves Christians.

The only ones that still use Prot are buttmad Catholics still upset that people could finally read scripture for themselves.

assblasted samefag

assdemolished papist

youtube.com/watch?v=8SoOK8N5ZV0

Is Hermes Trismegistus, dare I say it, /our guy/?

Don't take this user too seriously user He doth, dare I say it, protest too much. ;^)

But he's not so far from the truth. I don't find Hermeticism to be at odds with orthodox Christianity. You should check out your nearest Rosicrucians and Martinist societies. Some Freemasons are Rosicrucians and Martinists, but not all of them.

>Catholic openly saying he worships Satan

This is hilarious, I have screencapped your post for future use. :D

Oh don't be such a stereo stereotype user kun! Surely, you're being ironic.

>he's not only a papist
>but also an anime shitposter

Double cancer.

But, you're on an anime website user!

Well I meant more along the lines of studying its history and philosophy, not actually joining anything.

>this triggers the medievalist

>Catholic
Heretical meme "religion"

Corpus Hermeticum.

Anything written after the 18th century must be read with extreme caution, because there are many fakes!

Be careful about how much historicity we attach to HT, dude's mostly an allegory.

>Later textual criticism revealed that Hermetic texts were from the Hellenistic period
It shoulda been real obvious before text criticism was applied to the materials.

>Many
Eeeeeh, maybe.

>including Popes
The most important Hermetic Christians didn't really get their foot in the door.

Frederick V the Elector Palatine was a Calvinist and Rosicrucian.

Fuck off Kent Hovind, actual scholars are talking. There were just as many shitty theologians near Byzantium as there were near Alexandria.

Read up on it; Corpus Hermeticum, Iamblichus, Chaldean Oracles.

Freemasonry isn't going to teach you Hermetica (mostly).

I like other historical authors more.

>You should check out your nearest Rosicrucians and Martinist societies
^These, though sometimes Martinism draws in a stranger crowd than the Rosicrucians. Most Thelemites I know have no interest in the older Rosicrucian movements because they have their own, I know PLENTY of Thelemic Martinists tho.

>I'm thoroughly convinced that life was a million times better in the middle ages than it was in the Roman Empire.
Funny, I am thinking the same about Scandinavia prior to the unification of the kingdoms vs the rest of Europe.
>No feudalism
>Greater religious freedom
>Greater political freedom in general

^This.
Kybalion is New Thought, not Hermeticism (though it is technically correct in spots, but 'a stopped clock', etc.). That said there are decent modern comments, you just gotta actually know what you're looking at.

>Corpus Hermeticum.
>Read up on it; Corpus Hermeticum, Iamblichus, Chaldean Oracles.
If you wanna mix in some Christianity try Thunder: Perfect Mind or the Pistis Sophia. Lines between Hermetica and Neoplatonism start to blur really quickly.

>the west's true "age of reason" was from the 4th-17th centuries?
amazon.com/Rose-Cross-Reason-Eighteenth-Century-Rosicrucianism/dp/1438435606
cornellpress.cornell.edu/book/?GCOI=80140100664050

>>The medieval ages were for sure a big improvement in quality of life for most people.
Oh look a gross and idiotic generalization for a several hundred year span of history.

>>The Roman high life as we always see affected only a small elite in the empire while the majority of people were just slaves.
And we have yet another gross generalization and this time it's for a period of over a thousand years.

>>The moral authority of the church that was broken by the reformation changed a lot.
Moral authority? Your stupid jew cult is one of the most immoral organizations to emerge from the collapse of the western roman empire.

>>The highest power returned back to country leaders.
A blatant and stupid generalization again, nice job with being consistently retarded.

>>Christian values didn't play a role anymore for politics.
Are you fucking serious? You goddamned moron, this is going to turn into one of those "not a real christian" things again isn't it?

>>This allowed the 30 years war were Christians slaughtered each other for the gain of power of some protestant kings.
No. The kings ordered the slaughter of different kinds of christians because they thought they couldn't be sure that a subject that adhered to a different denomination would be loyal to them. This sort of infighting wasn't new, it's just that this time the "heretics" were powerful enough to fight back and gain land and power of their own.

Do you have any reason in talking like a nigger? I thought only thugs talk like that.

>There were no roads in medieval europe

Triggered.

Christcucks are triggered by: literacy, science, technology, truth... What else?

>The moral authority of the church that was broken by the reformation
always funny to see catholics defend heresy

Beauty, sex, pride.

>Beauty
Not a single Christfag with a working knowledge of Kabbalah is triggered by Tifaret.

>sex
Not Beguines, Beghards, Khlysts, a handful of as yet unidentified Gnostic groups.

>pride
Yeah, mostly.

Uh, what?

>literacy
bible was a big reason many people were literate
>science
#notallchristians many scholars, engineers and mathematicians were christian
>truth
hmmmm what did you mean by this

>hmmmm what did you mean by this
If the truth contradicts the bible (and that naughty bitch always does!), truth is not the truth.

give me 1 (one) example of this

>zero sources
So much effort only to say nothing. Wow.

Geological record says the earth is millions of years old
Bible says it's +- 6000 years old.

This is only a functional problem if we hold to a doctrines of Biblical Inerrancy and God's omnipotence.

Christ chucks are in genderal the founders of the modern form of civilization your kind tries to flee to.

Find me the passage that says the earth is 6000 years old.

Bible says Israelites were slaves in Egypt.
No archeological or historical evidence for this.

Geological record is made up.

Yes, there are layers.
No, they do not represent "millions of years".

The layers are better explained with a Flood.

Only some hardcore evangelical groups actually argue this things.
Please don't generalize.

It's not a passage. It's deduced from the genealogies in Genesis via, you know, counting.

I know counting is too advanced a discipline for christcucks but, damn.

Add up the dates and geneologies in Genesis.

No archeological evidence for Hannibal crossing the alps or Caesar crossing the Rubicon. Guess those didn't happen either despite historical text saying otherwise.

The bible claims that the Davidic kingdom extended from the Nile to the Euphrates river.

Again no evidence for this.

Fuck off back to your containment board, stormcuck

>egyptian records are shit, so I am right

No it is not. You have misread Genesis. Age of man is not the age of the earth.