itch.io/jam/agdg-global-game-jam-2018
youtube.com/watch?v=YE6-d2NzGpM
youtube.com/watch?v=inHuHoWrx7o
lionheart963.itch.io/rogue-like-character
makegames.tumblr.com/post/1136623767/finishing-a-game
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

youtube.com/watch?v=IOc1wF1TCeE
youtube.com/watch?v=KvW8MPuppv8

Look at all these GGJ devs devving aggy. Just look at them.

first for jam soon
itch.io/jam/agdg-global-game-jam-2018

seeing all these gamedevs gamedeving around the world makes me kinda upset

youtube.com/watch?v=YE6-d2NzGpM
youtube.com/watch?v=inHuHoWrx7o

More livestreams.

I wish I didn't have crippling social anxiety to participate in jams and events, seems like the best way to market your game.

From scratch = Using library > Using game engine scripting language >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ""drag and drop"" ""programming""

no, that's social media

>decide to paint directly normalmap information on a proper UV map that won't stretch anything
>it's tedious and looks like ass
God damn it I don't want to have to resort to Substance Painter. Disregarding the shady nature of using pirated software and buying it before release, it means I'll have to learn another fucking program.

Wich one will you take /agdg/?

Structurax sounds funnier so that.

why so ded

estoy devin

Is this what concentrated autism looks like?

dumb redditor

The Cure are an English rock band formed in Crawley, West Sussex in 1976. The band has experienced several line-up changes, with vocalist, guitarist, and principal songwriter Robert Smith being the only constant member.

>downvoting posts

No one cares. Go back to

Yes it is quite autistic of you to post that under the assumption that anyone here will care

r/gamedev TLDR: whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

the virgin brain ex vs the chad sage rax

what's a good way to queue posts on twitter
I just want to throw a bunch of progress pics in there and let the queue post them automatically every week or so

Hootsuite

are you making a video game?

or a video shame?

That hurts, user...

not cool user

i'm making video jame

wow this guy is gold

>gossiping about leddit on a Chilean ceramics BBS

I give up

post full model, seems like you're just bad

Friendly reminder that we are all gonna make it

You will be in my game.

At least I'm making a shame rather than a video lame. #groanzone

what size should my main character's textures be

Don't go too wild, though. Keep it video tame.

post it

But not too tame that it's a video same.

hell yeah

video same

Right. It needs to stand out enough that they have a reason to remember your video name.

Accidentally posted on the last thread which nobody reads anymore. But yeah, starting dev here. Just posting some progress!

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."
I feel like this applies to people like him. He's surrounded by toxicity because he is the toxic one.

looking good

nice, but the way he moves is irritating I mean that jumpy animation

Then you'll have your video fame.

Yeah, I got the sprite and animation from itch.io, its just a placeholder.

lionheart963.itch.io/rogue-like-character

тyфe

change your layout comrade

>seems like you're just bad
Oh no you're mistaken. It's an obvious fact at this point.
I don't think the model has much of an influence, it's just that I've never done this. I'm slowly getting the principles though.

looks good to me, honestly

Invites to parties where they're glad you video came.

Do you use Blender? It has an option to recalculate normals, why do you do that?

heh

there are people who have made fart apps that are more popular than your game will ever be

Your game might not be fun, but farts will always be funny.

It's serviceable I guess. I just find it awfully boring. But it's a shitty drone so it's not meant to be the world's most exiting weapon.

The normals are fine, we're talking about a normalmap.
I just have no detail to bake as and sculpting/subdivision surface is super tedious to add details you didn't plan in the first place, especially for hard surfaces.

Special attacks and dodge cancelling

Thoughts on Zbrush?

It's cheating.

How so?

I'm just tickling your dick, user. It's a good bit of software that'll save you a lot of time doing detailed models.

Brushes are nuts and I haven't found another program with ones that are as good. You can also clip entire sections of the sculpt from your perspective, which again is very useful. Although one of the downsides is that if you don't use the lazy mouse, I've found that they can be very strong even at low settings.
You get a couple quick settings for deforming geometry, which are quite handy for simple proportion tests.
Dynamic topology (dynawax I think ?) isn't really different from Blender's Dyntopo.
Camera is an absolute disaster, you need to recenter your mesh every couple seconds, and it'll sometimes snap in ways you don't want to.
UI is garbage. Menus everywhere, can't scroll with the mousewheel, sections that barely even make sense.

I rate it "I wish I had the brushes in Blender"/10. Pretty much the only thing I like about Zbrush. Not that it's bad.

>deleted thread

cumbersome UI and workflow that you need to take the time to learn but once you do it's great.

I seriously found blender easier to learn than zbrush

I'm in a game jam guys! Dunno what the difference is between gdevelop 4 and 5 .does anyone have experience with this game engine?

>can't progress from ideaguy to dev

How'd you do it, aggs?

just like make game

stop being a brainlet

>get a free/trial program like Unity, Game Maker, Godot, Clickteam Fusion
>learn how variables, if-then statements and equations work
>fake the rest until you make it (google for questions, look up tutorials, reverse-engineer other peoples' source code etc)
>make some small games (Pong, Tetris, Breakout, Space Invaders etc) as experience for making larger-scale games
>???
>we do it

do you actually want to or even like making games? do you like making anything? just because you like games and coming up with ideas doesn't mean you will like deving, they are two completely different things

first step learn programming

See, I've been doing this for like 10 years so I've passed this stage. Trouble is, I've never gotten beyond the engine phase because, lo and behold, there's another, more interesting idea.

It's a curse. I just want to dev.

>make a thousand fake steam accounts over months
>load them up with $10 gift cards
>release your game
>bounce between proxies to buy the game on all of those accounts
>lose 30% of the investment but get the rest back from sales
>game shows up on the front page as most popular
>snowballs

I figured out how to beat Steam and become a millionaire but I love you guys so I'm going to share it with you.

>Trouble is, I've never gotten beyond the engine phase because, lo and behold, there's another, more interesting idea.

Write that idea down on your notepad and stick to your guns. Or, work on that new idea for a little bit and then come back to your other project, alternate between the two. The important thing is, make game and finish game.

makegames.tumblr.com/post/1136623767/finishing-a-game

>tfw used to think I was even an ideaguy until I realized I only have vague ideas and can't actually even execute on any of the details of design.

I think you can transition eventually. At some point you've spent so much time trying to be a game dev that it's all you know and you end up trying to make stuff because you don't have any other skills.

Will people get angry if I just ignore any resolution that isn't
>1920 by 1080
>1366 by 768
>1280 by 720

>super tedious
a big part of 3D

Good luck with that user.

Oh yes the IDEEEEAS, I'm sure you aren't downloading and learning engines because you have the IDEEEEEAS blocking your path, it's not just you procrastinating or anything, it's them pesky IDEEEEEEAS.

Thoughts on megascans?

Seem a little pricey but they do look high quality.

pick an idea and roll with it. i have several more interesting ideas in my "backlog", but seeing projects through to the end is a big part of gamedev.

resolution is one of the things that pisses me off as a dev.

with all the displays today you're expected to support all that shit. i say fuck that. i hate it when i get emails about people complaining about how they can't fit the game on their retarded ass 16:10 or other weird display they are using, making you need to add black bars and shit. from now on any of my games will be one aspect ratio which scales linearly and that's it, people can fuck off otherwise.

wish i could dev on a console so this shit isn't such a pain

I "started" trying to make videogames when I was 12. I only got to something that can be called an actual project when I was turning 20, last year.
The sole reason I never reached that point before is because I did not focus properly on it. So last year I told myself that I won't be "learning how to make games", I'll be making an actual game. So far it has worked, kinda.

Yeah but sculpting hard surfaces is tedious as in "I can't get to the result I want". Painting the normalmaps is closer to something like pixel art, it's still tedious, but I can manage it.

Aspect ratios are only really annoying for UI.

It's hard to do something really creative when aspects of it might get stretched or cropped.

Whats the theme of GGJ ?

>set UI anchor points
>hurrdurr so hard

>everyone uses an engine

oh sorry didn't realize you were retarded, apologies user

what are you getting at here? that unity is the only way to make a game?

The IU of P5 annoy me

are there engines with UIs that don't have resolution independent 0...1 anchor points?

maybe your ideas just aren't good enough to stick with and be passionate about

>Unity is the only engine

what don't you like about it?

>tfw posture starting to become golemmode

ruh roh

Random question

Is there any way I can easily isolate animations and models in Dragon Ball FighterZ? Like pic related?

I haven't loaded up the game, but I plan to return it so I only have 2 hours to record the footage I want