Did Roman soldiers really wear red?

Did Roman soldiers really wear red?

Is there evidence?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Roman_military_clothing
tribunesandtriumphs.org/roman-clothing/colors-of-roman-clothing.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If I recall correctly, red was the color of the military, purple the color of nobility. They painted their shields based on their hometown or legion, so that if they died on the field they might be able to be identified.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Roman_military_clothing

Red is the color of the gods.

No, they probably wore some kind of earthen tones and maybe a dark, reddish brown.

Red dye is expensive as fuck.

>Colors of Roman Clothing - Reds, Pinks, Browns and Orange Colors

>The common color of red was produced by using a cheap dye used for Roman clothing. The cheaper colors of red were produced from Madder . Madder was a European herb (Rubia tinctorum) the root of which was used in dyeing cultivated as a source of red dye colors. Used to produce cloth dyed in various shades of red based colors including orange, russet, pink, coral, light red, dark red, russet and brown. Used to produce Roman clothing cloth dyed in various colors and shades of red.

>Colors of Roman Clothing - Crimson

>The color of crimson was produced by using another expensive dye for Roman clothing. The Kermes ( Crimson ) Dye was obtained from the dried bodies of the female insects ( Kermes vermilio Planchon and Kermes ilicis ) which were found in southern Europe on the small evergreen kermes oak ( Quercus coccifera )The history of the Kermes dye dates back to the ancient Egyptians and the Romans. Kermes dye was produced by a process of drying the bodies of the insects and then fermentation.

tribunesandtriumphs.org/roman-clothing/colors-of-roman-clothing.htm

>Red dye is expensive as fuck.
nigga its cheap as fuck

Red dye is one of the cheapest dyes on the planet due to iron oxidation

You mean purple

>Red dye is expensive as fuck.
Pro-tip: tyrian red is actually purple, even if it's called red.

The plant madder which makes red dye grows everywhere in Europe, it's actually called Rubia and thats not the scientific name,it's the original latin name and where the word rubies come from. it was a massive industry in antiquity

I don't know but here's a red shield.

There four (4) hate symbols on that shield, why hasn't it been destroyed?

they wore whatever dye was cheapest in their region

Yes.

I'm not 100% on this but I'm fairly sure the plant dye is red due to iron

Red is the color of angry men

It suits them well

Communism wins again!

To win again you first need to have at least one victory

I know that they wore red scarves, and it became really fashionable and stylish to wear that shit, so even the auxilaries started wearing it too.

WWII
USSR being the only rival to the US
Vietnam
Cuba
General principles of welfare for all and equality
Internationalism b4 it was cool
1st into space
1st space station
Most memorable rifles
Most triggering ideology apparently

>Claims to be a communist

> "Squish fascists, get money.jpg"

Normie capitalist scum get out.

lel

> claims to be a communist
Never claimed to be a communist. Wishful thinking on your part

Pic related, its you

>tfw always hated creative outlets and I would have been the one weird faggot in the region with a totally bare and plain shield

Fuck off with politics pls.

he said while posting a still gif on a comment that didn't absolutely require an image on it.

You are creative as shit dawg, you don't even realize how ordinary and heterosexual you are.

Nazis had a lot of red too though

That's purple

Fucking nazifags always have to butt in.
"Better dead than red" "the red tide" "the red army"
They are referred to as reds

"nazis use a lot of red too"
Yeah so did a lot of other people. They arent known for it tho.

Red is the color of the second function.

(Dumézilians will get this)

I red in a history book the Roman navy wore Blue/green cloth which I thought was pretty cool.

Didn't list a source, just stated it as fact though

lmao

Paint is, it's why red paint is also fukken cheap. Ancient dies used herbs/roots mostly though.

like every lazy faggot you'd probably throw a coin at someone to decorate your shield for you.

I don't know, but they sure as shit loved it.

Everything's either red, black, or yellow in Pompeii