Where the fuck are all these conspiracy theories coming from

I do understand that there were a lot of conspiracy theories in the past.
But I feel like the huge influx in the present is counter intuitive. Shouldnt the easy access to information (especially scientific / provable data) decrease the amount of conspiracy theories?

I feel like people believe every bullshit they`ve seen on the internet. They are not even asking for trustable sources.
I am a bit agitated right know because I`ve just seen a video on YT: The maker claimed things like that the EU governments are making brochures to increase the numbers of refugees. And in the comments were so many people agreeing and talking even more unproven bullshit.

I understand that many people just seek confirmation for their beliefs and therefore ignore the lack of sources for information as long as their belief gets reinforced.

But how does it come that many people do believe in conspiracy theories?
Are there more conspiracy theories now than in the past and if yes, why is that so?

Also are people really believing in fantastic theories like the flat earth or a lizard world government or is it just a meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

blick.ch/news/schweiz/mittelland/bei-oesis-abgekupfert-so-sieht-der-luzerner-sex-knigge-fuer-migranten-aus-id4558723.html
youtube.com/watch?v=7A8O43tc36k
youtube.com/watch?v=k6DA_WwO90c
spp.sagepub.com/content/6/5/570.short
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S016517811530264X
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0010027714001632
onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/acp.2995/full
pss.sagepub.com/content/24/5/622.short
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

mass literacy was a mistake

People don't trust the ruling elites.

some countries do hand out sex manuals

blick.ch/news/schweiz/mittelland/bei-oesis-abgekupfert-so-sieht-der-luzerner-sex-knigge-fuer-migranten-aus-id4558723.html

The internet is a good place to spread misinformation, and most people who aren't trained academics or lack the ability to critique sources take falsehoods to be truths (especially if they confirm to their pre-existing beliefs). Thus the internet has lead to a boom of mostly uneducated people believing falsehoods.

youtube.com/watch?v=7A8O43tc36k

Are you able to speak German? (this is meant as question, not as offense)
I do not see where this is a sex manual.
The title of the article is clickbait.
The only reference to sex is that they released this brochure on rules and laws after the incidents on new year in Cologne, Germany.
The brochure is supposed to "prevent sex attacks" as the author wrote in the first line.
The brochure itself has content like "Women and men have the same rights in Austria"
"Women and men can choose their partner by theirselves"
"Basically you are granted freedom as long you are not hurting freedom of others"
"Violence is not tolerated. Domestic violence is also forbidden"

Also I do want to add that I am neither pro or contra refugees.

/pol/ is wrecked once more

>I feel like people believe every bullshit they`ve seen on the internet. They are not even asking for trustable sources.
You answered your own question mate.
Some retards believe infographics from chinese cartoon forums that contradict every academic source, others believe in antivax email chains without scientific evidence, others believe what some looney spouts in some radio without proofs. How can they not end up believing in conspiracies? All it takes is one person making shit up.

youtube.com/watch?v=k6DA_WwO90c

All truth passes through three stages.

First, it is ridiculed.
Second, it is violently opposed.
Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

- Arthur Schopenhauer

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

People are waking up and there's nothing you can do about it, OP.

>mfw a /pol/tard unironically thinks he's some sort of paladin of truth telling us about a round world
I actually laughed.

that's what you think
*activates mind control satellite*

>mfw Reddit comes to Veeky Forums and makes a shill thread

Facts don't care about your fee fees.

dubs of truth

>muh infopics, ms paints, and stormfag blogs are facts
k

nasa's """"space walks"""" showing bubbles was the nail in the coffin for them. way too obvious it was all done in an underwater tank.

the next question is: why the lie?
because they don't want us to believe in God.

500 years of brainwashing is over, eric dubay's videos getting millions of views.i'll go where the evidence and proof leads instead of blindly believing what the government says in faith

the theory of evolution has already been destroyed and exposed as a hoax, the next step is the ball earth myth

NASA being a bunch of Freemasons and actors filming in a Hollywood basement is common knowledge by now.

Everyone knows that at this point.

People want to feel special and conspiracy theories are a way to do it. They think they know the truth that other people are too stupid or too brainwashed to see.
Also internet allow all people to have a hugbox of people who think like them, so they can ignore other opinion and when thay are contradicted they can go back on their hugbox to be told that they are right.

People laughed at Galileo, but they also laughed at Bozo the Clown. Just being ridiculed does not make you right.

>common knowledge
>Everyone knows

What's with retards liking to claim things they know 100% aren't true

It's like you're a loser with nowhere to go

>feel like people believe every bullshit they`ve seen on the internet. They are not even asking for trustable sources.
>I am a bit agitated right know because I`ve just seen a video on YT: The maker claimed things like that the EU governments are making brochures to increase the numbers of refugees. And in the comments were so many people agreeing and talking even more unproven bullshit.
Woah, what a conspiracy theory, we're gunna need some tinfoil hats, amirite?

it's a very interesting phenomenon OP. Apparently there are links with belief in conspiracies and

1.) political extremism:
spp.sagepub.com/content/6/5/570.short

2.) suspicious personality traits:
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S016517811530264X

and strangely, reduced ability to think analytically:
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0010027714001632

for example a susceptibility to conjunction errors conjunction fallacy errors (thinking specific conditions are more probable than a single general one):

onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/acp.2995/full

These studies are kind of insulting making it seem like someone who is a conspiracy theorist is some how different from us normies. I think the reality is that people just get emotionally tied up in these theories and when the emotional part of the brain gets switched on the thinking part gets switched off, and it could happen to anyone, depending on what sort of negative events are going on in your life at the time. Anyway more research is needed.

> Shouldnt the easy access to information (especially scientific / provable data) decrease the amount of conspiracy theories?

It's counterintuitive, but time has shown that the internet actually makes the problem worse instead of fixing it. If you believe the earth is flat, there are thousands of websites and articles that will tell you you're right and everyone else is wrong. And it makes it easier to completely shut out any conflicting ideas. Social media is only going to make this worse.

Oh crap I just read one that showed believing in conspiracies was associated with a rejection of science:

pss.sagepub.com/content/24/5/622.short

So.. I guess I'm only posting these articles for the people who don't believe in conspiracies then...

Woke as fuck comment.

They are obviously spooks of some kind. Not sure precisely what the psychology is, but it probably revolves around a few things.

1: Confirmation bias guiding their research.
2: It is a source of amusement and excitement.
3: They find they can make friends with other conspiracy theorists.
4: A common theme among extremists is the belief that only they represent a just cause. If you believe leprechauns are the cause of nearly every problem in the world then people who do not believe in leprechauns become outsiders. If someone says "let's spend our time and energy prosecuting actual corrupt officials and making the world a better place instead of hunting leprechauns" they become an enemy, even if they have a practical rational solution to said problems. It is also the basis for "motte and bailey" arguments.

Possibly also frustration-aggression or these

I'd add to this something like Dunning-Kruger, that is psychologically satisfying to think you've found some hidden knowledge making you superior to all the ignorant plebs

Well, the 'lizard person' is a psychological archetype. I think some of these things conflate metaphors.

Sure, but the ruling elites aren't the one's trying to inform you of the truth

>It's like you're a loser with nowhere to go

Straight iced a motherfucker