>old thread is kill
>FAQ
pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34

>What to Play
pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/CTJ0hpLe

>News
New gigantic DDA mod release that lets you win DDA!
github.com/tyrael93/Ascension/releases
This post explains some shit I guess
discourse.cataclysmdda.org/t/ascension-mod-or-winning-dda-the-mod/14799

IVAN 0.51 released
github.com/Attnam/ivan/releases/tag/v051

New Sil fork out.
github.com/sil-quirk/sil-q/releases

ADOM r88 released for free, includes new secret boss and dinosaurs, get it here:
adom.de/home/downloads.html

>/rlg/'s shared DCSS online account
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on Xtahua)

>Roguelike Servers:
roguenex.us/ (CDDA, angband, PCB)
angband.live/ (Angband and variants, including PCB)
hardfought.org/ (Nethack and variants, including slex)

Other urls found in this thread:

roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Complete_Roguelike_Tutorial,_using_python+libtcod
crawl.akrasiac.org:8080/#watch-LoreKeeper3
crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/LoreKeeper3/morgue-LoreKeeper3-20180130-031424.txt
youtube.com/watch?v=2Xcbp8aa5Lg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

sorry guys dunno how that happened

How to make roguelike?

follow this guide (ie. copypaste the code) and you're mostly there
roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Complete_Roguelike_Tutorial,_using_python+libtcod

>take animal empathy
>jumped by a cougar and a moose in the first 100 turns

cool trait

no you're supposed to take animal discord

>discord
Get the fuck out!

Why should I play Sil-Q over normal Sil? I see it changes songs and boss strength but I don't care about songs and the bosses were fine imo

>smithing buffs

fuck

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080/#watch-LoreKeeper3

continuing through the hells

godspeed friend maybe you can be the next mumo

what roguelike does /rlg/ find crafts the best narratives? that is, the roguelike where each playthrough has a good story behind it.

Video games by nature cannot have good stories.

i dont mean a premade story, like a story that was made while you played. like a bunch of events that string together to form a story.

Unfortunately not. I should have bailed after killing the rune and killing asmo. Ran into a bad string of torments and damnations.
crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/LoreKeeper3/morgue-LoreKeeper3-20180130-031424.txt

I like Sil. If you win, then you were the fabled elf who got the silmaril. If you lose, then you were just one of the many who got torn to shreds, boiled and eaten by orcs, and ultimately ended up a pile of bones in the corner of a forgotten room in the fortress of angband.

>spriggan going TSO for extended
the heck, spriggans are built to run and hide. TSO makes it impossible for you to be stealthy; going TSO removes like 1/2 of the spriggan's tools. If you went TSO as a challenge, that's one thing. But if you were trying to be optimal, zin or elyvilon would be preferable.
>go ely
>if HP gets low, just use two greater healings to get to full HP and keep on going
>go zin
>just imprison whatever's chasing you, zip over to the rune, imprison whoever's chasing you now, run to portal

I sincerely believe that going TSO for an extended game spriggan was a masochistic choice

>elf

>find a municipal reactor
>nothing here but some nuclear pellets and a FUCKTON of radiation

here i thought i'd at least find some plutonium. what the fuck is the point of this

Yeah, I've never taken a spriggan into extended before, and I played it like a minotaur. Oh well.

Rolling again.

>tso
i told you to go zin last thread! that infodumping user even forgot about sanctuary, the get out of anything free card

just play dorf fort instead

you also had frail and didn't use your ten mut pots to remove it. what the heck user

What are the more combat-tactics oriented RLs (Brogue, DoomRL)? And are there any non-RL tactics games that you rogues approve of?
I just started playing ToME4 (default difficulty) and am finding the combat super blah. Shredding everything up to lvl 12 so far and only nearly died once.

DDA by a landslide. That's pretty much the only reason I play it.

Sometimes when I play NetHack I alt-tab once in a while to write fan fiction about what my character is doing. There isn't really a 'story' but a lot of interesting things with emotional weight happen to a character.

thats pretty cute, user

link now mother fucker

Sil has OK tactics.

Explicit non-RL tactics games are great. I'm playing Antiyoy on my phone, but other than that it's slim pickings.

Thanks user. I'm finding much difficulty finding any game I enjoy, so I'll be sure to check them out.

It's pretty much ultimate cringe, but since writing about roguelike games is more fun than playing them I'm having a good time.

how fun
may your autism never let up

kek
you should seriously try dwarf fortress if you haven't yet

DF was great circa 2012, but then Toady started adding all this miscellaneous crap to the game that it just wasn't fun to play anymore.

DDA logic: my character can't smash a counter unarmed, but can wielding a funnel.

>literally not a fucking roguelike

Page 9 bumps don't need to be roguelikes.

bobby

Gorgol the Butcher, is he the Sigmund of Sil?

hoping for quints or better desu
will settle for 17 though

I hope you get the opposite color of your element

Maybe if you suck.

I do indeed suck, I've been going the dude with smithing mastery and trying to hold out for a forge, where the FUCK is my forge. I found one, then Gorgol & Co scared me off after my first creation, then later on a different floor they cornered me and killed me, and I haven't gotten to a forge for the next 5 games

Don't do smithing.

smithing is fine in sil-q if that is indeed what you're playing
which i assume you are since it's what's in the OP

I gotta do smithing.
My first 15 games were actually edain, of that house that gives you +1 str and melee affinity, I fell for the meme and it was fun. Smashing people's faces in with a 4d15 greataxe while I myself only had 20 HP. And I just found a forge on my dwarf, so let's see what happens.

nah, just regular sil

oh then yah don't smith

smithing just doesn't have the benefits to justify the XP/stat sink? I just crafted a hauberk and two rings of evasion

it was super op in past versions and then got overnerfed into not-worth-bothering-with-ness
sil-q unnerfs it a bit in an attempt to bring it up to reasonable strength

See
Just let the thread die and i’ll make another one
It’s the circle of life and I can’t escape it
Xom help me

ok, another question. I am using a +7, 2d12 glaive, and I have song of slaying up at +3, yet in my dice rolls window it shows that I'm still only doing +7 on attack. Additionally, I have that polearm feat where you wait and get 1/2 your perception score attack bonus, and that's 3 for me. Neither of those bonuses seem to show on the dice rolls screen. They're still there right, just not shown? It's not just a bug that they're not factoring in at all?

Oh, you know what, I think song of slaying was increasing the enchantment on the glaive, so when I looked at that +7, it was already factored into that +7, it was really a +4 glaive with slaying adding 3 to it. And as for the 'focused attack' feat, somehow I fatfingered in the menus and turned it off. What a dummy.

C:DDA and Brogue, nothing else comes close to those two. C:DDA is a zombie movie and Brogue is an Indiana Jones movie.

huh, in Sil your song of slaying buff decays over time, but it isn't reset when you stop singing. So if you have like +3 slay when you stop singing, then a few turns later you start singing again, you'll still have like +2 or +1. That's pretty nice.

is it possible to get a single floored lab in cdda?

>if you drop an item in Sil and there is no room for it on the floor it simply disappears from the game

the fuck

Yes.
In my case I've been roaming around the world for the past week and I've only found 1 (uno) lab in a remote area of the game, used its magic mapping abilities, found out it was the fucking portal lab end and still haven't found another one
I need a bloody CVD machine one for the quest and I *want* the laser one
Goddamnit there's nowhere else I'd rather go now, I have all the books I need, a good car and a petrified eye to open up a strange temple. I've found a couple arcana structures and a slime pit and a fungal tower but I don't have any mutagen books yet because I rushed the bottom of the lab, I'll look more closely today
I still need to find an anthill for the egg,
the hell spire for the brain and more structures for the books, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna find the spire soon so it's just a matter of ants. In the meantime, I have a modded battle rifle and sniper rifle with a lot of lab-spawned ammo and I even made a kinetic bullet puller with the DIY compendium so I can reload more useful ammo out of junk ammo, but I'd really rather have a UPS-charged laser rifle.

youtube.com/watch?v=2Xcbp8aa5Lg

yeahhhh I mean it's sorta a roguelike, it's turnbased, gridbased, randomly generated levels... Just super dressed-up with mouse support, animations, background music, NPC dialogue....the narrator is a suicidal mouthbreather, but I would expect anyone else from rlg to sound about the same

CDDA question: is there anyway to dig up concrete without a jackhammer?

When you say "dig up concrete" you mean turn the tile from concrete into dirt?
In that case smashing down some walls and bringing the roof down will also turn all the rubble it falls on into dirt tiles when dug with a shovel.
If not, not really unless you're planning on using a pickaxe.
You're trying to start a little lab plantation, user?

Neat

I'm camped out at a lab cleaned it out almost entirely went into some towns at night for books now I'm training because my skills are non existant not sure what to do though.

Alright I'm not ready for this guy or whatever it guards

And I found a hammer of the hunter, nice. It's basically a more lightweight fire axe that swings slightly faster.
I'll probably need to make the meme chinese spear soon.

Alright, that worked. Now for the fungaloids.

I thought I'd be safe ramming it with my car but I spent half an hour trying to destroy various fungaloids that spawned inside my car as I ran them over. Still, that worked.
I've found a hell spire far, far away from here, near a town. That's true-endgame tier because the DOOM monsters are stupidly powerful and can kill me easily and the spider mastermind is deep underground and launches a barrage of rockets when he targets an enemy, not to mention he has enough HP to resist a mininuke.
And I added a deadly surprise so that it couldn't easily be cheesed to boot.

Man, I really suck at Sil

Dwarf Fortress is a fantasy world/story generator.
Not a game, I'm sorry. That's straight from the horse's mouth.

I'm TRYING to sleep!
Also, I found another lab by roaming through a swamp with my binoculars near the end of a road.
I've forgotten what year this is.

Thanks for the critique.

thank you for party rocking

Managed to find another lab, a medical mutagen book, the regular mutagen book and the serum one. Other lab had an armored zombie in the finale giving me a salvaged power armor which I could turn into a working set of power armor with high skill if I wanted, but I don't even have the CBMs to make it work. Could be useful against the mastermind though, I'll keep an eye around for more power armor stuff.

Debug mode tells me it's been four years. That explains why I find hyper-powerful zombies in random cities nowadays. Exploring different maps really takes a lot of time, plus every time I save my game I get a huge chunk load. It's been a while.

I *could* solve the puzzle.
Or I could simply drill around it.

>still gotta find the anthill
>still gotta find arcana books
>STILL gotta clear the spire
God please no. I'm bored.
Let's just end this real quick.

adventured?

winter start.

ah, thought labstart was the epicstyle start of free points and food

You're welcome.

Yeah. Winter eternal season is just an optional thing I add to the world.
Labstart is the free points.

Is there percentage drop in DCSS? Let's say sometime i got a plate armor D:1 is there a percentage?

There are loot tables based on level, yes

Would you know by any chance where i could actually find these loot tables? Thank you.

page 10

I mean I can keep vagueposting about how bad I am at sil, but I gotta take a break to eat

>tfw started df last week
seems alright. i think my experience with roguelikes and dungeon keeper games carried over so its been pretty easy. largely does just feel like DK with more freedom and a ui comparable to cataclysm in how bad it is

>Implying you're not using catalog

That's how it worked for Moria, which was back in the 1980s when computers weren't powerful enough to handle a lot of data, and every roguelike was programmed in C so it was too hard to implement a linked list just to handle multiple items on a single tile. Angband is based on Moria, and Sil is based on Angband.

If you're thinking "this sort of meaningless, intentional stagnation is why the roguelike genre is dead" then you'd be partly right.

gonna play some nethack later maybe

github.com/crawl/crawl

>my NPC's leg is infected
>I have 56 antibiotic
>can't use antibiotic on an NPC
>NPC can't use antibiotic from inventory
Thanks a lot, Kevin.

Is it actually infected or just a bite wound? Antibiotics only work once it has progressed to infection.

I usually just kill all npcs on sight or run away and kill them later for food, but im curious. If you kill and butcher an infected one do you get tainted meat?

I made that image over a year ago. Nice to see it's still around.