Other urls found in this thread:

poal.me/l0y2we
twitter.com/Jonathan_Blow/status/958085395379470336
benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/csharp.html
mathparser.org/mxparser-performance/performance-windows-10-java-vs-net-vs-mono/
anthonylloyd.github.io/blog/2017/08/15/dotnetcore-performance
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

creativity is a feminine trait

remember to consume lots of soy to build up your estrogen levels so you can make better games

It's over.
Godot won.

Godot chan is my waifu!

>a literal tranny traced from an anime template and adorned with stupid hair

???

Huh, getting some problems when adding the animations, but I can already tell it's gonna look pretty dope.

Do you ever wonder what life would be like if you never got into video games?

Ever wonder what you would be doing right now besides trying to make the best video game you possibly can?

There's no room for second guessing yourself when you're on the track of success. You have to keep going, no matter how hard it is.

I just hope I'm on the right track.

Not really, no.

Lovely.

Damn, that looks so much better than it did before already, keep up the great work.

worse than your average /agdg/ attempt at waifubait and that's saying something

>creativity is a feminine trait
>most of creative types are men
what did she mean by that?

Looks good. I think that his sord should be a little further because right now with this distance it looks like he is using his right arm

now i have to port my project to 3.0 fuck

how can men be creative when they can't even create another human being inside their own body

Post your progress, user-kun!

godot is a gamechanger, now i can nodev in new environment

agreed, looks a bit weird

>an involuntary biological function makes you creative
>taking a shit makes you a biochemist

>anime shit
I wouldn't

Wait, it doesn't?

I'd make a game where she strikes out numbers.

what do I drink if I want to learn object-oriented coding for gamedev?

a horrorgame where the monsters attempt to rape you

pig semen

s-source?

a fantasygame where the monsters attempt to rape you

Islamophobic much?

poal.me/l0y2we
Remember to vote on the next AGDG jam theme!!

I posted maybe half a year ago some idea about medieval stealth game set in different small towns with a suspicion (reputation) system. Guess what, I just realized Kingdom Come: Deliverance has almost all of the mechanics I brainstormed about. And it's not something I'ver ever seen in games before. I swear to god, every time I have some kind of unique idea, something popular implements something very similar not long after.

Why isn't incest on the list?

sue them

Stop thinking then people will atop stealing your thoughts.

who is this girl

No reason to sue them, they definitely thought about that before me because the game has been a lot longer in the making. But I didn't know about it. Just saying how it always happens in the same time.

then expect a lawsuit from them for thinking about it without a licence

Writing design notes and level-related TODOs was annoying and hard to reference so I made a little in-editor note system.

just make it anyway.

How do I make Unity recognize my particular device? I'd like to make it so that on my device, only test ads are shown as the AdMob guidelines have zero tolerance for viewing real ads in your own app. I'd like to be able to download the real version from the store and test all functionalities without breaking the rules.

A cute one.
Kyoukai no Kanata

Is there any reason to use C# unless you're Unity and you have to for backwards compatibility?

Mono and .NET core runtime and GC performance is slower than the JVM. You literally would be better off choosing Java or Kotlin over C# in 2018.

you want to avoid showing real ads?

GPU's are usually the bottlenecks, not CPU's. It doesn't matter what you use.

Gameplay is not protected by copyright, so even if you actually made a game based off your "idea" and someone made a 1:1 clone using their own assets, you would still have zero legal claim to sue them.

a video game that automatically installs itself on the user's computer without their consent and spreads through email, infected USBs, and other security exploits

I think that's just called Malware.

you can patent it though, just look at wotc

twitter.com/Jonathan_Blow/status/958085395379470336

I hope you're managing memory yourself and not using a language with a garbage collector.

Yes, to myself. Did you even fully read my message?

c++ has a lot of lower level stuff that is actually really helpful if you want to optimize at all. But unless you are making something taxing on computers it doesn't matter what you use, yeah. Just save the open world rpg with cutting edge graphics for later.

>This is what script kiddies actually believe

CPU bottlenecks have never been more prevalent with the low IPC chipsets in the Xbone, PS4, and Switch.

Engines like Unity have had trouble maintaining performance on consoles for that exact reason (See: Yooka Laylee, Hollow Knight, Overcooked, etc.)

lol

>Gameplay is not protected by copyright

Good luck with that one in court if some AAA company really pushed it not that AAA gaming companies produce anything that could be considered novel gameplay ideas these days.

You know that Richard Garriott sued dozens of developers for producing anything he considered too similar to Ultima in terms of gameplay back in the day. He made more money out of out-of-court settlements than he did off the Ultima series itself.

Also PUBG's bottleneck on PC and console is its CPU requirements

I'm confused by the legal situation surrounding the D&D ruleset. It was under my assumption that you couldn't copyright mechanics and yet they've clearly copyrighted mechanics. I understand things like Beholders, and Faerun being a D&D licensed property but how the fuck do you copyright stuff like the formula for a basic melee attack or a strength table?

But that's plain wrong. Here are some benchmarks I got from the first page of Google results:

benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/csharp.html
mathparser.org/mxparser-performance/performance-windows-10-java-vs-net-vs-mono/

What it comes down to though is that C# is the more pleasant language to work with, as far as I'm concerned.

It's true that Unity uses an ancient, shit slow version of Mono though.

wow...

Phew, I'm glad I'm not hyper autistic like he is.

This kind of mindset is how you end up like Hollow Knight, getting sub-15 fps in a 2D game, because you have developers writing code without any fundamental understanding of computers or programming.

Bad code is a bottleneck that comes before even CPU/GPU

Yea i read it and it was stupid. You dont post an app to store for testing. First of all AdMod doesnt have zero tolerance for local ad queries. It is not advisable and dont do it but it can be done. Second of all just use locally test user and test ad types as suggested by Admob. Last but not least look up your log from android. I dont knwo anything about Unity so you need to figure it out. In the log there wil be one line with a keyword " addTestDevice". It will give you an unique number to use like that :
>builder.addTestDevice("sasasasasasasa");
If you put it where you init the ad system it will download test ads instead of real one but using real credentials

I'm a retard and nothing I do even slightly pushes performance. Also C++ is just so fucking difficult to use it hurts me. I can't even make a decent console application without the .Net Framework.

Ha, that's funny. Just a few months ago those benchmark results were completely different. Here's an article from the developer who updated it recently:

anthonylloyd.github.io/blog/2017/08/15/dotnetcore-performance

>Over the past few weeks I've been submitting improvements to some of the C# programs in the Benchmarks Game.

>When I first saw the C# .Net Core vs Java benchmarks the score was .Net Core 2.0 4 - Java 6. This surprised me as I was under the impression .Net Core 2.0 performance would be very good.

>So now the score is .Net Core 2.0 6 - Java 4.

>My overall impression is that .Net Core 2.0 and Java perform about the same. Java possibly has a small edge on some calculations and array manipulation and .Net having better parallel libraries.

.NET != .NET Core != Mono

I don't understand how you can fuck up that bad. Like what specifically are the traps that cause that level of bad performance? The only thing I can think of is if EVERY SINGLE UPDATE they had a massive logic chain that was calling hundreds of thousands of methods and that they were passing whole objects and stuff when they could have not been passing whole objects.

By .Net do you mean .Net Framework?

>Like what specifically are the traps that cause that level of bad performance?
endless loops in general (crippled state machine ?) or memory leaks

Developers write bad code because they don't understand how their code is affecting the hardware it runs on.

The problem is compounded when code that is clean, concise, and easy to read is also code that performs very very poorly on real hardware. For example, the easiest way to perform string concatenation is to simply use the addition operator ["a" + "b"], but that is the least performant way for the machine to concatenate a string since it would require an additional heap allocation and produce garbage in the stack.

The first step is to educate programmers to write good code, the second step is to write tools that make it harder to write bad code.

C# programmers lack education and quality tooling

I mean the base windows implementation and runtime

Made some bows.
Would like to fill our game with various weapons with different stats and effects, sort of like the metroidvania Castlevanias.

Huh? You linked the .NET Core vs Java benchmarks, and I provided a blog article from the developer who worked on the benchmarks.

whatever I'm not that guy

just said that C# @ .NET Core has nothing to do with gamedev like who uses that stack

it's barely prod ready for web

>code that is clean, concise, and easy to read is also code that performs very very poorly on real hardware

At this point Unity should have forked C# and written a subset that avoids common pitfalls like this. There is no need for things like forEach iterators to exist in the version of C# that Unity uses, since it will always result in worse performance than a standard C-style for loop.

like GDScript ? :^)

Nice bows

Not if your game is heavily reliant on cpu logic.

How much of those things can you learn from a book and how much do you learn while being in school and getting peer or teacher reviewed? Like for that specific case I'd generally use a stringbuilder if I'm doing it a lot just because I know it exists and thats literally it's designed purpose so I'm assuming it does the job well. However even though I've learned basic C and C++ programming on my own and understand what a lot of these base data types are and how basic data structures do stuff I still basically no nothing about simple rules like that.

It didn't occur to me that concatenating a string could be a problem in performance. I don't thing I've ever used a string and concatenated it every frame or whatever though.

Thank you!

Still amazes me that Godot fixed everything wrong with Unity, then backtracked and made their engine another shitty low-performance Mono runtime shitheap

This guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Heap allocation is cheap. You don't have to worry about memory alignment or cache misses to write fast code.
The only thing you need to worry about is algorithm complexity. Let's say when an explosion happens at a position and you need to find all objects that are within the radius of the explosion.
What a bad programmer does, is simply loops through all the objects in the scene and checks if the object is inside the explosion radius. Which is bad.
Understanding algorithms and data structures is what makes you a good programmer. Understanding stack, heap allocation, memory layouts, low level languages such as C and C++ is just extra on top of that, but isn't strictly necessary.
The best way to learn how to write fast code is to attend programming challenges such as ones found in sites like topcoder.

>since it will always result in worse performance than a standard C-style for loop.
I always figured foreach was just for ease of writing when making code that is pretty unimportant and you will probably fix up later.

Last time I used foreach in something that was actually important it couldn't even keep track of itself and crashed for no reason.

GDScript is still supported and the main language, you know.

Muh C but it's sharp, like this gentleman.

>Understanding stack, heap allocation, memory layouts, low level languages such as C and C++ is just extra on top of that, but isn't strictly necessary.
If you are writing code that will be called very, very often and possibly sent to the gpu, you will at least want to know how to align the memory and do that loop thingy to optimize cpu cache.

What modern pixel art games look great?

I'm tired of pixel art, go make something less overdone.

Your advice is applicable to general systems programming, but in game programming it is more important to understand heap and stack than when shitting out a CRUD app.

Code written in a game loop is often executed as quickly as the CPU will allow, repeatedly. If you write a raw string concatenation in the main loop, that "cheap" heap allocation is now causing massive amounts of garbage build-up and resulting in periodic GC hitches.

This, we need a second coming of tween flash animation.

>I'm tired of art, go make art that isn't as overdone as art.
That's you. That's how stupid you sound.

>tfw great at Flash animation and could make sprites very fast but everyone hates that aesthetic now

idea guy here

gay male protagonist who uses dildos as weapons

>unironically thinking some kind of art can't be overdone
what's this pseud shit

I bought aseprite and I'm going to fucking use it.

art has trends/movements/fashions
pixel art popularity is on the way out

Few, if any. It's usually low budget crap like your attached image, used by devs who can't afford to hire a real artist.

It's called Saints Row 3

>bought aseprite
hahaha