/indie/ - Indie and Misc. Games General

Jersey Devil edition

Previously >What the fuck is this
/indie/ is the general for all indie games, such as Hollow Knight, RUINER, Cuphead, Heat Signature, LISA, Yume Nikki, OFF, Middens, Underrail, OneShot, Rimworld, Age of Decadence, VA-11 HALL-A, Subnautica, Machinarium, DashBored, Darkwood, Card City Nights 2, Braid, Monolith, Rain World, Axiom Verge, Guacamelee, The Desolate Hope, West Of Loathing, Stardew Valley, etc. as well as other games that just don't fit in any other general such as Atelier, Rayman, Pillars Of Eternity, Rise Of Nations, and Valkyria Chronicles. Absorbed the /lite/ general some time ago and /jrpg/ is welcome.

Mobile or consoles, flash or unity, freeware or early access. This place is a home for the indie game community and indie and obscure games that don't have a home. So be free to talk and share all your hidden gems, forgotten games and starving devs here.

And FTL too.

>Can I talk about games that already have a general?
We mostly discuss games that are not popular enough for their own threads (since they have no other home in Veeky Forums), however, all indie games are allowed. So talk about them if you want, but don't overdo it since you already have other generals for that.

>Recommendations
pastebin.com/ZbG0JPSn

>Booru
indiegame.booru.org

>Steam Group
steamcommunity.com/groups/indiegamesgeneral

>Link to the winners of the GTP Indie Cup.
pastebin.com/u9TYjkj3

Other urls found in this thread:

humblebundle.com/games/rockstar-games-bundle
youtube.com/watch?v=8tifI3DPRBU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for cat.

Second for Dragon's Dogma.

Wouldn't surprise me, you can manipulate how your weapon connect by moving your mouse around.

Kiss a casual?

Are there any good indie kart racing games
Super Indie Kart looks like it might be decent but I've learned that any game with the word "indie" in the title is usually kind of a hackjob

>Ancient Magus' Bride
>In my /indie/
Stop.

You wot?

Koisheep approved

Koisheep is a spawn of Satan.

Dumb frog poster

Dumb sheeple. Post about video games, not about sheeps.

Also, I kinda dislike Nioh and Lord of the Fallen. They follow Dark Souls' "LOL HARD" meme, but fail to implement anti-frustration features, such as bots summons and such.

keep droping the recs

Stuff like this is what I'm looking for, just over 200+ monsters is pretty good stuff.

Monster Compediums are the best.

The only two games I've played lately with a bestiary is Subnautica and Pillars of Eternity.

I think he meant a bestiary as in "lots of monsters", rather than an ingame compendium.

I meant both actually. It's really nice to have flavor text to look on, specially if you have tons of monster to fight.

I didn't manage to find much games (besides AAA titles like Final Fantasy or Castlevania series) to do this, that's why i'm asking

>Persephone
>a maid
This is why I hate bestiary. They just pick cool-looking names and stick them randomly.
No, Rahab isn't a demon.
No, Poseidon isn't a fish.
No, Persephone isn't a maid.

japs can't into gaijin folklore

The Tenth Line has 3 different descriptions for every item and enemy because all 3 main characters say something different about them from their perspective.
There is no book where or achievement to collect them but it is still very fun to read all the different flavour descriptions.

Yes, I noticed when MOTHERFUCKING KING ARTHUR became a woman.
And a sexy one, too.

>the size of that arm
HAHAHA

>not looking at the ass
Are you gay?

>says while posting an image from the franshise with astolfo

i'd dick astolfo desu

It's not gay if

Dare you enter my magical realm?
Vile Weaponry is a god tier feat

Saving this for future notes

>>>/imgur/
Or, yaknow, a notebook.

You will love it when Dan or Saban steps into one of those.

Favorite tower defense games?

Niko's father.

Defend the Library. A Touhou fangame.

plants vs zombies
Defender's Quest

i was afraid of that too, but DOMINATING improved AI made them actually smart enough to not step in the bear traps

Majesty Gold.

That's good to hear, congrats. They are still too retarded to not step into caltrops though.

Which survival sandbox game do you think has the best looking biomes?

How difficult is Furi?
Am I a shitter if I can't finish it?

RELEASE EXPEDITION ALREADY

Really depends which fight you stopped on

The only one I got ever into were the side missions in van helsing.

The scale. The submarine one.

I probably could've beat it, but my skills have started to suffer from my poor health, so anything a little bit stressful makes me shake too much.
I wish I was making this up, but I'm serious. I can't play any multiplayer game because of that.

I hope it will have turtles. I like turtles.

What a cute boy

Well, shit. Has a video game ever suddenly and unexpectedly made you reconsider your own life?

It's weird. Agate is far from the character in Trails in the Sky I'm most similar to. I don't have anger issues on anywhere near the same level. I tend to be more of a hedonist and I enjoy nerdy shit, not pushing my body to its limits. My biggest difficulty in life is this tendency to drop things the second they get hard, because I feel like every little failure reflects every little thing about me.

I know this is dangerously close to (or just is) blogposting, but this line hit me really fucking hard. I'm going to remember it when I get the temptation to quit things that I really want to do out of some ridiculous belief that not being good at things I'm just starting to learn means there's something wrong with me.

Anyway, what's the most a game has ever made you re-examine your shit?

>what's the most a game has ever made you re-examine your shit?
Deus Ex and how I cared about Paul's approval. Made me realize how much I wanted a big brother to actually encourage me.

Yeah Killer 7 is basically my personal bible and other games aspects like majoras mask and too many others to name have changed my outlook on myself, others and life.

Agate is a really great character. I did not care for him in tits1 but in 2 falcom really managed to make this character grow so much with their pure stream of writing that is just uncontested in jrpgs.

When I played Tales of the Abyss as a teenager, it definitely made me reflect on my own selfishness and immaturity a bit. That game had some pretty believable and real people for a JRPG.

Honestly, I don't know if I can think of ANY game that compares to this trilogy in terms of writing. Though I'd be glad to hear suggestions.

Crusader Kings 2.
I'm French, so for us, royalty is a horrible thing when one man is basically god on earth. But Crusader Kings 2 made me realize that kings are actually in really fragile positions, and can only really rule because their vassals allow them to, so all the cruelty you can see through history has an explanation to it, it wasn't just some rich kid born with a silver spoon in his mouth deciding to be a dick just for the lulz.
Also got me interested in history.

Can we talk about marketing your indie game? Does anyone of you has made experiences they can share?

Does facebook ads are worth their price?

>Does facebook ads are worth their price?

I'm interested in that as well, but just out of curiosity.

Send keys to letsplayers, streamers and "journalists".
Facebook ads are very wort it if you target audience is 40+ year old racists and bots.

humblebundle.com/games/rockstar-games-bundle
>the ign normie invasion is real

Not indie.
Talk about bully if you want though.

This is gonna be a strange answer, but playing the Witness made me reconsider the importance of communication and how truly genius it is when a person can easily explain something complex. Smething about exploring the Witness and getting audio log after audio log about rationality and religiosity sparked a long personal thought process on that kind of stuff.

>tfw kinda want the bundle anyway because never got to get around to playing Payne and LA Memes
fuk

Debated picking up Bully again, played it fucking years ago and it's on my steam backlog.

Did anonbody here get into gamedev thanks to some indie game? Pic related for me.

This reminds me, someone here was planning to do that fight without any AOE/traps. Did that ever happen?

Sort of. In the end he used caltrops, but couldn't save Dan and Saban that way. He did a second one with gas grenades and that was enough.

I kind-of-failed, had to use caltrops which can be considered AoE or even a trap.

Sniper builds are clearly not suited for the task. I would really like to see an attempt with a tanky AR build, those might be able to pull it off.

Well, but the original argument was that the fight is impossible without 50 bear traps, which you still disproved. You just raised that bar for your self-imposed challenge a little too high.

I love how it's essentially a metroidvania, but using knowledge of puzzle mechanics as a soft gating, instead of a hard "oh you need item x to proceed".
You often stumble upon puzzles you can't understand, and then they're taught to you later by giving you very easy versions of that mechanic, and then building up on them until you "get" them. And then you can go back and combine the mechanics to solve the puzzles.
Also, I loved how it incorporates the environments into the puzzles. Many people criticize how it's just "a walking sumilator where you walk between puzzles", but these people have obviously not played very far. The entire playspace is part of the puzzle, from hints in your environments, to reverse-engineering a broken puzzle to how it used to look, and then solving it.
Also, that fucking shape, once you're done with this game, you'll start seeing it everywhere. Pic related, it's from Warframe.

You might have better luck asking the game design general, I forget what it's called.

>You just raised that bar for your self-imposed challenge a little too high.
I'm not done, this was merely my first serious attempt. One day I will try again with a better build, unless someone manages to do it before me.

/agdg/ I think

Cuphead appeared in google's ads and i got surprised since they became a joke for chinese MMOs

Toki Tori 2 does something similar where you have all your skills at the beginning but you don't know it at the time.

Sure, do it if you enjoy the challenge. But don't do it just to win an argument, because then you'd forget what it was even about.

The guy complained that DOMINATING forced an unfun playstyle on you. He was talking bullshit of course, and what you did was enough to prove that. In a fight where you face dozens of bladelings you can't just mindlessly shoot at shit until it dies but might be encouraged to use some utilities to even the odds? THE HORROR. 0/10 game design, would not recommend, etc.

So don't force yourself to win in a way that's even more unfun than his 50 fucking bear traps.

>But don't do it just to win an argument, because then you'd forget what it was even about.
Nah, the argument is over as far as I'm concerned. I just want to confirm it's possible. I predict it is, so it wouldn't feel right not to check eventually.

Not anytime soon though. Before Underrail 2, that's for sure.

Just beat Vvulf but I had more luck than skill desu.
>didn't remember the mechanics
>brought leper, Flaggelant, PD, and Occultist
>by round 2 Vvulf has summoned 2 guys, and is sitting in rank 3 with the barrel at 4
>leper can't hit him at all
>PD and Flag can hit him with blight and Bleed respecitvely, but also hit the barrel, damaging themselves
>occultist is busy clutch healing the bomb damage
>feel like I'm fucked
>each turn, Vvulf guards the guy in rank 2
>can now just wail at him at my hearts content with Leper, blight, and bleed damage
mfw

>Subnautica
>Just made the grabble hook prawn suit arm
>having fun zipping across the surface
>Fall through the ground, see nothing but void
>Eventually land infront of some collapsed alien structure
I don't feel prepared for this.

such is the price of becoming metal gear spiderman

REMIND YOURSELF

>Try to make my way out
>fall through again, nothing but void
>It more than exceeded the crush depth for my prawn
>Can hear it slowly crushing me
Remember me

just be glad you aren't that guy from last thread with a phobia of falling forever

If I could report pictures for making me uneasy, I would.

His picture almost scares me. Good thing it's just a picture.

I think I'll stick to my Seamoth undtil I got a cyclops with which to transport the prawn to each mining node. No more fun with the hookshot.

youtube.com/watch?v=8tifI3DPRBU
This. Roughly at 7:00. This is the spooky stuff I was afraid of when I booted Subnautica. Luckily, I was spared the "fall forever" bug, but I still suffered the "fall behind the scene one".

What was the last game where something managed to make you react out loud through something other than an explosion or jump scare?

Playing Trails in the Sky SC. It's the scene where Father Kevin sees a boat, and "someone's in it."

I thought it would be an enemy or someone, and then when it's a body I muttered "shit" and then when I realized it was Kurt, "Oh shit!"

>What was the last game where something managed to make you react out loud through something other than an explosion or jump scare?
Darkwood, when I took the thing Maciek was holding and realized what it was.

What manga is that?

Mahou Tsukai no Yome or "The Magus' Bride".

The Jersey Devil buys a slave. Then stuff happens, and he fights with a Jew.

Not indie, but i recently binged Steins;Gate and 0. There was quite a lot of "NO FUCKING WAY" said out loud.

I play fighting games so I sometimes yell in anger.

We know, Phil.

>the eceleb obsessed vtard is still here

>development is going as planned
>combat demo is still planned for this year
Neat. Between Expedition, Copper Dreams and the Generation Ship demo this could be a pretty good year.

>The Ship was launched by a neo-Christian conglomerate dedicated to establishing a religious colony on a distant world.
Is that a The Expanse spinoff timeline where the protomolecule never showed up?

Wait, which games are you talking about?

I hope you at least yell the names of your attacks on cue too

Someone tell me how to beat the baron, I'm losing my mind!

Have you tried shooting at it until it dies

Two: Abadon the black fortress 3 drops all plot and pretense by having redbeard not only be right about everything that happened but curbstomp all his opposition and kill the deuteragonist by pretending to be retarded at the very last game scene the second was not an indie game. The X com bureau twist surprised the fug outta me.

I haven't played many

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUCK YEAR

There was this one flash game from ages and ages ago that I still remember
It was an 8-bit RPG that had Link from Zelda 2 and Mario in FF-style battles
In the first cutscene Link screams "MOTHER FUCK!"
Does this ring a bell for anybody