itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-18

> Small World Jam
idk nobody posted the jam page

> Helpful links
Weekly Recap: recap.agdg.io
AGDG Steam Games: homph.com/steam
Fanart and stuff: drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6j4pcv3V-vfb3hKSlhRRzlLbFE
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627 (embed)

Previous Thread: (Cross-thread)
Previous Demo Days: pastebin.com/74btH1aJ (embed)
Previous Jams: pastebin.com/mU021G8w (embed)

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org
UE4: unrealengine.com
Unity: unity3d.com

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org
blender-models.com

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
freemusicarchive.org
incompetech.com/music
fantasymusica.org

> How to Webm
obsproject.com
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KxGRhd_iWuE
youtube.com/watch?v=seV_Z97P6BY
youtube.com/watch?v=TeC-EA3x9gk
developer.download.nvidia.com/CgTutorial/cg_tutorial_chapter01.html
twitter.com/ShotOne_/status/922158718795616258
twitter.com/klemen_lozar
youtube.com/watch?v=3Pb-YnonXT0
youtube.com/watch?v=nbejfDVg73c
twitter.com/AnonBabble

1st

Shaders are cool and people should abuse them more, it's sad how most people completely ignore them or think it's just for color correction.

Are you just repeating a background or are you spawning in clouds? It would be cool to have some transparent ones on top of the game area too.

I give up

youtube.com/watch?v=KxGRhd_iWuE

explain shaders to me, i saw radio the universe and would like to know how to do that now
repeating a background
> It would be cool to have some transparent ones on top of the game area too.
do you mean cloud shadows or like transparent versions of the ones i already have in the foreground

transparent ones but you could always mix and match to see what fits.

stop giving up doge family

yo squaredev, congrats on your new game, it looks pretty!
I posted your last game on twitter because I was kinda sad how little attention it got in the last jam, I hope you don't mind.
For some reason people mostly ignored it until a few days ago when it got a bunch of likes and retweets
Wonder if you noticed it in the icho.io page view counter or something?
With your cute lowpoly models, if you do something like Twinkle tale/KikiKaikai/Mamoru has been coursed, you are going to make a lot of buck I tell you!
3D arcade topdown stg with full of cute/fantasy stuff and lots of action, the only thing you need is a good musician.
something that looks like this:
youtube.com/watch?v=seV_Z97P6BY
And sounds like this:
youtube.com/watch?v=TeC-EA3x9gk
and it plays like kikikaikai
Don't put RPG/Stat managing stuff and make it look like and early lowres 3d game without AA and maybe pixelart textures and you are rich.
Keep it simple and fun, something that you can finish.
Anyways, is always a treat to see your games, thanks for the good stuff man

>you are going to make a lot of buck I tell you!
only if he stops making jam garbage and aim a bit higher

*cursed

thats what I'm tellin him
Also thanks to JAM garbage he has been improving his skills.
i think of JAM games as small demo games to showcase devs skill progress
Also making short games of different generes helps a lot when learning how to program

Remember to calibrate the colors of your monitor before working on the colors of your games!
Ok, bye!

how

pay attention to my webm you sluts

>hey dude make the game I want bye
how about you make it yourself faggot

Your monitor has buttons. Those are used for it.

If you have the monies you can buy tools to get your shit objectively standardized.

I would if I can.

>Steam takes 30%
>Not American so the US government takes 20% of what Steam sends to me before it gets to me
>Be Israeli
>Supposing Steam sends me $68k/year the government will take 35% of the remainder as tax
>Then it'll take an additional 16.5% of the same sum to pay for the socialized healthcare system
How the fuck am I supposed to make any money? How do independent devs even make it at all?

>jam garbage
>he doesn't like getting the chance to experiment while also testing his time management skills
yare yare

Eggs
basket
etc

developer.download.nvidia.com/CgTutorial/cg_tutorial_chapter01.html
to the people that were asking about shaders last thread
official nvidia shit

*I would if I could

is there even a point learn cg if it is dead?

>Copyright © 2003

Nothing wrong with jam but if it's all you eat then there's a problem.

>ancient deprecated shit no one uses
learn glsl, it's what all shader sites and godot use

Should I stop making games if I don't want to pander to lefties? I kinda don't want to get mobbed or fired for not eating tide pods.

It's almost like the system is designed to keep people from climbing up. Really makes you think..

>time management skills
nigga where the fuck do you think you are

it's only for OGL tho
Nobody in his sane mind will target OGL if he wants decent performance and AMD userbase

You don't have to pander to anyone. Just do what Nintendo does and keep politics out of your games. That means rightwing *and* leftwing politics. Become a generic caricature like Miyamoto.

First time doing any sort of AI. It made my heart melt watching him flee my bullets

> >Steam takes 30%
> >Not American so the US government takes 20% of what Steam sends to me before it gets to me
Excuse me?

twitter.com/ShotOne_/status/922158718795616258

what the hell is this a top down game

what's the point of having detailed characters if you can't see them

Loser

Go read The Mythical Man-Month

But what if I hire a sound designer? Should I fire him?

Only hire professionals who understand that they, too, must be blank caricatures in public. Nintendo would absolutely fire the sound designer. It would fire any employee who made a public fuss about politics.

If you want your game sell - you have to. Otherwise they will trash it into the dust

It's basically the same shit, if you learn GLSL you learn HLSL.
And unlike HLSL, GLSL has easy soy sites for learning and playing around.

Also I don't know how Unity handles it but GLSL is not slow at all, it probably uses some ancient shit and is full of abstractions.

What did he mean by this?

Mario is a fun game and it looks like the person is having fun playing it. That's what the gif is showing i think.

There's a lot of abuse that can go un-noticed though.
Like with particles, you can use the same noise texture panned/stretched, then multiplied to add more detail. The fire here only has 10 particles and there's a lot of room to improve it. For instance here the noise is just white, but I could have different values in R, G and B, and get three completely different noises.

As far as shaders go, this dude does some crazy stuff.
twitter.com/klemen_lozar

He reacts to the sum of all bullets around right ? I'm assuming that from the green tint.

>but GLSL is not slow at all
Not GLSL - the OGL on its own.
It is also allergic to AMD

The green bullet is just the bullet currently closest to him. He reacts only to that one. It's extremely simple still, I have a long ways to go before it's actually decent at not dying to someone spraying in his general direction

>Just do what Nintendo does and keep politics out of your games
What if your game's story involves politics tho?

>The green bullet is just the bullet currently closest to him.
So you have some kind of expanded detection range collider/trigger around the enemy besides just his own basic body collider?

Then the trouble involved in doing so is unavoidable.

If I want to learn 3D modelling and start with blender tutorials, will I be able to carry what I learn to other programs like autodesk, zbrush or modo?

>twitter.com/klemen_lozar
>generic gameplay
>generic pixel art
>generic level design
but these fucking shaders still gonna sell it man

In general yes as some concepts are universal but to be honest every program is different. Also Blender is more than enough for gamemaking

mostly some basics, Maya and Blender have weirdly distinct toolset

Yes. I call it the danger zone. The yellow boxes represent an estimation of the projectile's path and are used for the danger zone detection.

The idea on how to model something applies to every single modeling software. Maybe not as much to zbrush, unless you do sculpting in blender aswell. The toolset is very very different between them. But honestly it will be a matter of getting used to a new tool, but the process being more or less the same.

So, how is the performance when there are 50+ enemies and their zones also intersect?

I've heard that blender's UI is far too clunky, and that it lacks some tools, no idea which tools were being referred to tho.
Whatabout modo?

Artdev here (and a bad one at that).
I'm trying to make an animation of a character walking diagonally down-right but can't seem to get it to work, something seems just off.. Any advice?

It's going to be a 1v1 game. Just doing to practice making AI. Right now the performance hit is when I have like 13 bullets on the screen and they're all being iterated through every frame. I need to fix that soon

It's only a problem if you've used a 3d modeling software before and trying to switch to a new tool. If it's your first tool, everything will feel clunky. You will get used to it. Maya to max is clunky. Max to blender is clunky. Blender to maya is clunky and so on.

It has all the tools needed for gamedev. It might be harder to do some very hyper realistic CGI shit with it for very specific cases. You will not feel a lack of tools. Maya might make it easier to model characters etc. But as a newbie you won't feel an impact. The only downside of blender is the sculpting. Personally I think it's quite bad, but that's me.

>I've heard that blender's UI is far too clunky,
maybe before 2.5. Now it all right. Really, for a game dev its enough. Learn others if you want to make a big game (which isnt the case) or if you plan to look for a job (no one uses Blender commercially)
> inb4 some obscure game studio that uses Blender

>I've heard that blender's UI is far too clunky

It will boil down to what you are used to. I had been using Blender since 2003 or 2004 (can't remember exactly) and I'm very comfortable with all the hotkeys, even the weird 3d cursor, and the fact that selection is right-click

>> inb4 some obscure game studio that uses Blender
valve, epic games

None of them use Blender.
You confused
>studios and peole who use UE4 Engine or Source also use Blender
vs
>actually Valve and Epic devs use blender

They dont, they mostly use Maya.

No? None of their modeling positions ask for blender.

I can always count on you guys

Looks cool

Valve has a bunch of Blender info and tools in their wiki, and they are a main sponsor of Blender.
Epic also sponsors Blender, and they have some videos about Blender->UE4 workflows.

that's more of them supporting the community. the original argument was more of, it being doubtful that epic or valve would use blender when they are making games

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Fauna Wars
Dev: weaklight
Tools: Game Maker 2
Web: -
Progress:
+ first recap
+ on it for months (not full time), lots of notes
- not much to actually show
+ went back to the technical basics, realized I has no choice but to make a map editor, working on that
+ reading Tiled maps, will use them for base ground
+ painting "obstacle" & "free" tiles
+ pan & zoom
+ started planning out all map objects IDs to save maps in a custom format
- to do : saving & loading maps
- having second thoughts about how much of a clone it is
- I like thinking of characters, but story is hard

youtube.com/watch?v=3Pb-YnonXT0

2D but done in 3D with cool cut effects

Unishit

Im having a brain fart.
How do I get the top/bottom positions of a sphere given we have the center position + radius?

Watch Epic Games livestreams, they use Maya on production scale across many departments (engine assets, unreal 2017 team, etc)

I dont think Valve gives shit about Blender at this point also. This actually applies to a lot of things when talking about Valve though.

x = centerX, y = centerY + radius, z = centerZ?

Sphere's location plus and minus the radius on the Y axis

looks like a shit version of this

youtube.com/watch?v=nbejfDVg73c

Within local or global rotation?

>Make Rigify to UE4 video
>Literally days before Blender update for Rigify rolls out and makes the video obsolete

t-thanks anyways...

>the fall
>shit
>The Fall Part1 : 253,783 ± 15,870 owner
>debug game

Where is YOUR game that sold 300k?

thanks, I was overthinking it.

local

>253,783 ± 15,870
How should I read it? Sold 250k and whats the 15k?

If your engine does not know how to operate in local coordinates and rotation than it is gonna be way more complex than just sum of Y + radius.

I mean, if it just simple sphere of one color you dont care, but imagine it is face and when rotates, it's top will matter a lot.

should I use more interesting names than "potato" "pepper" "carrot" etc for a farming game? Or have plants unique to the game's universe? it's a semi-fantasy setting

Broadly speaking - error margin. +/-

Use latin counterparts and modify them

if they look like potatoes, peppers and carrots, then just call them that so people don't get confused. if they're totally different food items, then it makes no sense to call them Earthly names

Looks garbage.

give or take. the numbers in steamspy are only an approximation based on the number of people playing the game according to steam stats

thx

use lesser known real variations that people will be happy to discover

people have no taste, who knew

ah, this could be a cool idea

Surely your game will be pure art.. with 973 copies sold over 3 years keke

Well original poster here, if blender is so great why would valve, who never touches realistic graphics not use it?

I understand, but it doesn't need rotation or anything since it's a collision sphere being projected out based on transform forward.

>973 copies sold over 3 years
I wish