youtube.com/watch?v=KMDNzCQC5Do
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

:3

>:(

>:3!!!!

>C++ has limitations, but it is a big improvement over C in many aspects
false

>template collections (vector, unordered_map),
ourmachinery.com/post/minimalist-container-library-in-c-part-1/, ourmachinery.com/post/minimalist-container-library-in-c-part-2/

>RAII (with unique_ptr, you rarely get to delete things yourself), exceptions.
these are not good things. having control over your codebase and not having things happen automatically to memory allocations and deallocations is a good thing. you dont want automation here

Reminder that using C makes you a bad programmer. Use C++, it's the modern and safe language of choice!

What if I use Actionscript

That's fine

>FlashLang
>In 2018, the year of our lord
you fool

The word you're looking for is renegade genius

I just came from /v/ because I saw this from a thread there and I think I remember seeing it here as well. Who did this? It's beautiful.

Looks good enough. Now, implementation into my WebGL map editor, which is my favourite part.

twitter.com/1988StevenM

Needs a grappling hook

Looking goo-
>walks off the edge and doesn't fall
Shaking my head right now, this is unacceptable

>Mats without textures
s t o p

fuck you and your textures, I am batman

batman's low-effort cousin

How do you keep yourself motivated when you're just starting? I know the game I want to make, I have very defined goals of what will be in it in terms of game systems, story and content. But then...
>have to learn 3D modelling
>have to learn coding
>have to learn how to work with a engine
>have to learn how to make music
>have to learn how to make spritework
>have to decide language, softwares for the music, engine, 2D art and 3D art
>no idea if people would be interested in the finished product.
The only reason why I don't outright give up before starting is because I already want to die anyway, so using my life with a fruitless pursuit wouldn't be such a big loss.

>only code
>buy assets
>make finished game

ez pz

Because I learned those things over the space of 10 years due to a genuine interest rather than one day suddenly deciding I want to make a game.

>spend money to make money
disgusting

You stop wondering about stuff and you get to work. Every day.
Can you not produce something ? Then you get to practice.

>>have to learn 3D modelling
no
>>have to learn coding
you'll do fine at first with very basic preschool level logic
>>have to learn how to work with a engine
it's not that bad
>>have to learn how to make music
no
>>have to learn how to make spritework
no
>>have to decide language, softwares for the music, engine, 2D art and 3D art
no + negative points for autism
>>no idea if people would be interested in the finished product.
who gives a fuck

your first game will not be a smash hit
1ma is a meme

you wouldn't a video game

video games can't say no

>1ma is a meme
bu-but im di-different

1ma is fine if you actually take into account you're a 1ma. Honestly, as a 1ma, unless you have the will to dev for 4+ years, I'd specifically stick to the two-dimensional realm.

>>have to learn 3D modelling
few weeks
>>have to learn coding
yes and no
>>have to learn how to work with a engine
so you don't want to make games ? the hell you on about
>>have to learn how to make music
just use placeholder midi shit you'll figure that out later
>>have to learn how to make spritework
3D or 2D then :^)

i am i know it could be a pain in the ass for a 1ma to make anything too complex
im trying to pump this game out fast tho to get back to work on my other game
i've been riding a high lately with loads of progress and even joined demoday in hopes of actually sticking to it and not falling off like i normally do

? Workload isn't really equivalent to the number of dimensions. Assuming we're talking people who know what they're doing, 3D can actually be less time consuming in an animation heavy game. And the development side isn't really much different with modern tools...

>Assuming we're talking people who know what they're doing
where do you think you are

Except if you have a vision to how your game should sound, look and play like you do need to know about those fields.

>3D or 2D then :^)
Both

those are the last things you should be thinking about if you are a dumb depression poster who regularly exhausts his daily energy quota on shitposting on mongolian throat singing forum and didn't even download an engine yet

>Assuming we're talking people who know what they're doing
Ofcourse a veteran can move faster than a beginner. Funny how we don't get many of those around here, hmmmmm
>The development side isn't really much different with modern tools
Yeah, maybe in placement of the models in 3D space, but programming a 3D game can be pretty different from a 2D game depending on what you're wanting to do.

You think there's going to be a Valentine's Day asset store sale?

>learn
All those can be summed up with "just practice".
As for deciding on an engine, look at various engines, what they offer, and maybe try some out. The language will be decided by the engine you choose. Similarly with other software, except usually you'd just choose the free software.
Make a prototype of your game, make a demo, give it to people, post it on a demo day here, and see how people like it. That's how you judge if a project is worth pursuing.
Remember it's going to take years to get to a point where you can really finish your dream game.

But, user, you already have my heart, why would you want more?

Are you the Amplify Shader Editor?

So I’ve been thinking about what I want to do for a career, as of right now I’m working in a factory. Video games have been a huge part of my life and I’m always thinking of ways to improve games I’m playing and coming up with ideas and worlds in my head. That’s all it’s ever been were just ideas. Well I thought about maybe going to school for game design and brought it up to my fiancé who in turn said I need to be realistic. Tonight when I got home I downloaded unity and am currently downloading unreal engine. Since then I’ve been watching YouTube videos to get some knowledge and I’ve read OP's post of this thread. Any tips to get a dreamer started?

>making a space game
>every time you start a level there will be a 1 in 1000 chance of a red car floating past in the background

>shitposting
I don't do that, funnily enough. And it's more of the idea of a project keeping me from depression than anything else, I'm mostly just apathetic.

>engine
I'm working on 3D modelling right now, can't do everything at once, and I figured that before downloading one I should understand the strengths of each, same for coding language and musicmaking.

No, I'm the Tiled2Unity tool

>tool
you are tool alright

Where exactly do you learn about each engine's strength though? Same for the coding language.

A beginner isn't going to be putting out nice looking, well animated sprites, either. If you're even going to make an argument about time investment you have to assume some level of competence.

Programming a 2D game can be pretty different from programming a different 2D game. The point is, unless you're engine deving, you can build a full blown 3D game without even knowing trig these days. For most engines and frameworks which support 2D and 3D, the process and workload is essentially the same regardless.

Stay hydrated.

That's the last webm from a few days ago. I've remade it in the new engine (godot 3) and the physics works a lot better now.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but a lot of what you see is placeholder since I'm focusing on getting all those gears turning behind the screen.

don't go to school for game design.
keep a job and work on your free time.
it's pretty much the only way sadly.

take notes of EVERYTHING you think of. you WILL forget. you don't have to write like anybody could understand them straight away, but you do have to write like you could reread them in 20 years and understand them.
start by cloning Pong, Pacman, Mario, etc.

Am I going to have to pony up for Substance if I want to make a 3D game that doesn't look like absolute shit?

Dafuk is 1ma?

one man army, making a game on your own

>if you're even going to make an argument about time investment you have to assume some level of competence
Then why the hell you choose a veteran-like speed when realistically we only have newbies around?
>you can build a full blown 3d game without even knowing trig these days
And that greatly depends on what you're trying to accomplish. If you're making a 3D platformer? Probably yeah. But what if you wanted to make some kind of flight sim-ish game? What is a quaternion? Pitch, Yaw? The fuck are those? I'm new, HELP /agdg/ DADDIES, HELP.

how do you think people got around before substance was a thing ?

It's easier now than ever before. You have giant fucking engines that do most of the legwork for you available for free.
All of those things you listed can be learned over time. Everyone else did, and you will have to as well. There's no shortcut.

A sure-fire way to never finish something.

>tfw another dev comes into your discord and starts shilling his own stuff

bu-but

>my discord

i have one for my game, has "200" people in it, u jelly?

Nope, not really. I'm not a gamedev.
What the game?

>I'm not a gamedev.
what are you doing here user

I'm using Gamemaker and I find myself making a ton of timelines by hand. If I were to automate their creation through a loop in a loading screen, would performance be significantly impacted?

You can look at each engines website and look up stuff about the engines. The ones in the OP are a good start.
Most engines are general purpose engines, meaning they can more or less all make the same games. The only real difference between engines is the language they use, their workflow, their price, and what features are built in.
Once you choose an engine you can follow guides and tutorials on that engine to learn its specific workflow and language.

>TrannyLang
worst meme

I dunno man this stuff takes years. If you are already in your 30's and don't know how to code, draw or model 3D, make music or write compelling stories don't bother doing it 1MA unless you want to make simple stuff like an infinite runner, or walking simulator. And even those types of games have a lot of barriers to entry that you can knock against and give up on.

Or, specialize in an area of skill and join a team (go to your local barcade and try and meet other indie devs, or try numerous forums for it) though the latter option is really difficult if you don't have much history of skill that can be easily viewed on your website/github/deviantart or whatever you choose to specialize in.

If you work full-time and expect to make a game beyond the complexity of a pac-man clone, good luck.

thoughts?

Also, don't use Unity or Unreal as a beginner. Try something easier like Game Maker

Done some more with the real world.
Have some basis of a transition between real world and VR world now, so next is bg art etc.

if every page isn't filled with "just like make game" I'm gonna be angry

what are you using timelines for?
seems like something you would pretty much only use for cut-scenes i think everything else should be handled in code otherwise (i even think cut scenes can be handled in code)
hmmm i wouldn't know i've never even touched timelines but im a fucking brainlet so take what i say with a grain of salt lmao

Needs a section dedicated to the shittiest looking games posted on /agdg/

bu-but

Pretending I'm a dev, some kind of substitute of a dream.

area would be taken up with rotatedev and googems shit.

is the mc a mad looking tranny?

nice looking forward to seeing more.

Nice try, user. I know you're just subtly trying to ensure that your game gets featured. Mine would, too.

unity can't even do this lmao

youtube.com/watch?v=KMDNzCQC5Do

Everyone here is a 1MA.

asian slobby girl.
vr world avatar is busty aryan woman

>TOP 10 SHIT GAMES EVER POSTED
>come laugh at these dumb nigger """devs"""

Just getting started. Decided to learn with Godot since it's free. I read their two intro-articles on their scripting language and scripting in general but I have no programming experience so it went slightly over my head. They say their language bears a lot of resemblance to Python. So my question is would it be worth learning a bit of Python so that making sense of scripting in a game context is easier to understand and learn, or should I just learn GDScript and figure it out as I go?

Gorgeous

Using them for dialogue primarily. They strongly resemble the way Bethesda handles dialogue in their Creation Kit which just works. However, there are a shitton of them so I'm contemplating building a few scripts to automatically create them in loading screens on an as-needed basis.

where's your game

Pretty sure it can.

>pic doesn't fill the whole page
>text in front of the logo
>like 5 different fonts
>poor color choices that clash with the pic
keep working

>Goldberg

>slobby asian girl
needs more tomokocore

interesting premise

The American got out of school huh

I do have it. I'm not sure if I will keep it though, unless I find some solid purpose in combat.

>tomokocore
i don't have any hi res art for her yet, but googling your term, that's essentially what I imagined.

where is your magazine?

>physx
unitybabbies can't afford a havok license

It would be like required to do well in that boss fight, does it also have weight so you can swing on things?

fucking nice