musictheory.net/
pastebin.com/s9QJaCNB
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

homph.com/steam
List of devs that abandoned us
If your game is on here YOU ARE NOT WELCOME
Go to /pgdg/

kys

In an interview with Ars Technica, Blow admitted noticing "a trend" of rapidly dropping prices on download-only storefronts. "I don't think it's good for people to undervalue their work, because then you teach the public that what you do isn't worth much," Blow said to Ars. "All things being equal, it is great to have a lower price, because it means more people can experience what you made. So it's just about finding the fine line between these two extremes." In The Witness' case, that balance came down to a "gut feeling," Blow said, along with a recognition that, while his team had made a big game, it lacked "multiple facets" that other AAA games often include, particularly multiplayer.

When asked about trends like flash sales and subscription-based giveaways, Blow was cautious not to speak about those sales tactics on a broad scale. However, his choice of words made it clear that fans shouldn't expect a deeply discounted Witness offer any time soon.

"It is very tempting to just put your game on sale for 75 percent off because you know that will be a big bump, and then to do that again and again, but eventually you teach people that your launch price was a fake price, because the game will inevitably be 75 percent off," Blow said to Ars. "I don't think launching at a fake price is a good idea! I think having sales is all right, but people currently overdo it by a lot."

I would like to echo the sentiment that you should in fact, end your life.

Do you think you'll make it in time for DD19 ?

Don't give up

Not like I'm submitting my game either way

Dd19? (Sorry I'm sort of new)

He's right, going by steam prices alone nowadays i barely buy any game outside big promotions because i know all devs will end up giving big discounts.

You aren't automatically professional just because you are selling a game, it has to be your main source of income.

I'm thinking about trying to make a CCG and I am 100% new to anything. Anyone know where I would start on this endeavor? I'm not sure if the engines in OP would work.

In aseprite, is it possible to display a high resolution reference image behind a low resolution drawing layer so you can sprite over it? Similar to 3D modeling or something. Right now all I can figure is scaling the drawing layer and brush to match the reference, but that's kind of awkward.

download Forge source code and learn true despair

best software for low poly modeling? help fast

why are there so many jblow hatefans
he's actually a pretty reasonable guy with lots of experience and made some great games

Blender

Was John Blow the guy who went "Japanese games are shit" on some guy at a convention or am I thinking of somebody else

Jealousy

download blender so you can spend 30 minutes fucking around and realize 3d is too hard

any engine in the OP would work

He got the groove

Oh, duh, it was right there in the layer menu. Add reference layer.

i give up

3 seconds of googling tell me you should choke on it

blenders ui look scary really complicated
is there anything simpler

Someone explain pointers to me

they're like nipples, they point somewhere

>cat memes
>positive and motivating
>dog memes
>negative and depressive

it is clear which animal is superior

Figure it out retard. It's not that hard.

a variable that points to the address of another variable

a place in memory of a set size, the address in place may or may not be pointing to something

Pointers are memory addresses with bookkeeping information about what is stored (usually its type).

sketchup

>why are successful devs leaving us? Reeeee
>if you are successful, don't come back! Reeeee
The absolute state of /agdg/'s shitposters.

Hey guys! We're about finishing up this enemy sprite. I thought I'd post it around again everywhere for final feedback. If anyone notices any glaring flaws, please let me know!

It's headless in the sprite sheet, because the head is a separate sprite with its own animations now. Will post a webm for that in a moment.

Alright I'll look into this more when I get home, was wondering if anyone had done soomething similar that I could kind of get a loose idea of what I'd need to do to get started. Again super new

Actually it's just a memory address. Any information about the type is purely for the compiler to perform static type safety checks, there's no type information in the compiled object.

I won't. Life simply has a knack for fucking all over me lately, but I still dev everyday.

I didn't say the information necessarily existed at run time.

Maybe not the best format to share in, but I wanted to demonstrate the head movement that tracks the player.

And now they all move.

I don't know much about him and I don't hate him (or at least I don't know him enough to hate him) but he sounded pretty condescending on the Harfbuzz mailing list mails I was reading, with the whole "bearing is an offset" deal. I can understand programming can be frustrating sometimes, especially given harfbuzz documentation (or lack of thereof) but telling people to stop using technical terms when talking inside the scope of the specific fields those terms pertain to is just wrong. I will assume he was just really upset that day.

>tfw it's time to sell your game
>tfw that's scary as hell

It's simple, as long as you sit down and learn what you need from it. Find Youtube tutorials that suit your needs, and study.

If I have a dozen coins on screen that home towards the player (or bounce around or whatever), is it cleaner/more efficient to put the movement event inside the coin instance itself, or to create a 'coin manager' object that calls every coin on-screen and gives them instructions as relevant?

blender's UI is actually easy, pretty much everything has a hotkey

zbrush is the true nightmare, what a clusterfuck

I hope that I will be in your shoes, someday. You did some marketing, at least?

Should I learn to 3D model or to draw first

If all coins behave that way, put it in the coins themselves. If not, it's probably better to keep it outside.

Draw

what do you mean if anyone had done it? made a ccg? there's tons of ccg's already made, just look at those for gameplay inspiration. for code inspiration, again, download source code for Forge, it's a MtG "game" with like 20k cards where you can play against AI and do quests and such, you can see how they did stuff.

My guess would be shitposters memeing. And/or

Drawing. Making original 3d models without the skills to draw your own references won't work well.

a video game where women discuss their vaginas

I like it user, its nice

yeah, got a little over 2k followers and people anticipating it. one site that covers the genre also said they'd do a review. there's no way to know how well it will do though

despite all the beta testing i fear there might be bugs

>Not just constantly stealing references from others and making your game according to what you can steal

They already did that, it's called Depression Quest

It depends more on how your game is structured in general, though. If you try to keep your inheritance down, it's easier to store separate collections of objects and implement specific behaviours only for certain collections. If you're using inheritance a lot and storing fewer but more (conceptually) heterogeneous collections, it's probably easier to use method dispatch to select the appropriate behaviour. I personally wouldn't structure things that way, though, I prefer less inheritance.

For instance, you COULD have a base coin class with no special behaviour and then derived classes for homing, bouncing, etc. which would accomplish the same thing.

is the discussion more like a background for vagina-themed gameplay like that one sex education game where white blood cells shot up STDs or whatever or is it more like a phoenix wright dangan ronpa setup centered around vaginas

good blender tutorials specifically for low poly?

And now they all move.
(forgot file).

>asking /agdg/ about art

not gonna make it

The tempo of their dance syncs up with this quite spooky song I'm listening to.
youtube.com/watch?v=7rJH4YEgS1c

>low poly
what did he mean by this?

How the fuck do I do music?

Music is just varying patterns of pitch and tempo

learn music theory, practice, experiment
ignore any fucko that posts that circle of fifths bullshit

>For instance, you COULD have a base coin class with no special behaviour and then derived classes for homing, bouncing, etc. which would accomplish the same thing.

That's what I have at the moment. Static coins don't move around, bouncing coins are dropped from the player when hit (flashing and disappearing eventually), homing coins are created from enemy bullets and target the player.

>find public domain music
>crudely recreate it in a 3retro5u tracker

done

why is bug fixing the worst part of gamedev

You sequence sounds into tracks which are then mixed.

If it's working for you I would stick with that. To do it the other way might involve a lot of rewriting and restructuring in order to reap any real benefits (from data oriented design).

>music theory
Any good resources?

16-bits.org/pt.php

>mixels

because you make 0 progress

There will be bugs, always, but this should not stop you.
I'm crossing my fingers for your success!

everything is actually pixel-perfect, It's the webm that could cause the mixely effect

musictheory.net/ is a nice little introduction but it's honestly not very engaging in the long term, I recommend something more involved like MOOCs with real teachers, coursera has a bunch of free music production courses.

>0 progress
That's assuming bug fixing didn't create more bugs down the line.

Look at the waves and SFX more closely.

If there's a bug in here, I simply don't see it.

thx bud

other than giving her a background, pretty much done.

If creating bugs is negative progress then surely fixing bugs is positive progress.

who /pro/ here?

Would smash

friendly reminder that you don't put pictures of programming on your game's steam page

art is what sells the game if you game looks like shit then it is shit

Have fun hiding poor programming from the gameplay videos or, more damningly, reviews.

Amen.

>pictures of programming on your game's steam page
has that ever happened?

>selling your work for the same amount someone would toss in change at a bum

Well, yes. You need something to get people attention.

Even Choice of the Robots have a picture, even if lackluster. You should comission a picture for it.

someone's jealous

They say that you can learn to be an artist, but I disagree. So if you've never practised drawing before, fuck that - you won't be an artist anyway. But you could still be a modeller, because that's that's editing shapes. (Contrast that to sculpting, which is more difficult, and a job for a real artist.)

it's free, I got a donation
that's how good my game is, people pay for it out of their own volition

In gamemaker I have a movement script which has the ai target a grid square that's within attack range of the player(for tactical turn-based). For attacks with a range of 3, the ai will target a square that's within 1-3 squares of the player char. However, occasionally when the ai moves to its targeted square, it will move across other squares that would've been viable places to launch an attack. So I want to make a script that tells the ai to end its path if it crosses over a viable attack square. Any advice on the best way to do this? Here's my first half-hearted attempt at just using just 4 grid coordinates. However, doing path_end with point_distance doesn't have any effect, so I need help finding a way to actually stop the path. pastebin.com/s9QJaCNB