/domg/ - Dominions General

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes over a period of 10 years.
The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 3000 units, 900 spells and 400 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.
It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.
Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/wjbSA98Y

>Drawfaggotry
dominionsdraws.imgur.com/

>DOMINIONS 5 IS OUT.

>Where do I get it?
Currently only available on Steam.
store.steampowered.com/app/722060/Dominions_5__Warriors_of_the_Faith/

>Manual
illwinter.com/dom5/dom5manual.pdf
illwinter.com/dom5/dom5tables.pdf

>Mod inspector
larzm42.github.io/dom5inspector/

>Multiplayer guide
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1212948582

>Debug mod
dropbox.com/s/oo492x2cs8vag34/debug509.zip?dl=0

>How do I change the fonts?
Replace guifont.ttf, guifont_fancy.ttf and guifont_texty.ttf in the game's 'data' folder (C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Dominions5\data usually).

>Is there an easier way to play multiplayer?
rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/dominions-4-pbem-manager-new-stuff.104015/
Works for Dominions 5 just as well.

>Completed games
Submit them here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeuclmaCiRo8vcTztsKjPJxnBgRDE-E1uNvE5j0x5wDZMMhRA/viewform
Results:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OxILAa3Y_O7Vk2NFhKAAQfStHqh1WJXMkGCim9sQ_ns/edit#gid=1292233344

>OP pastebin
Just copypaste it and link the previous thread below.
pastebin.com/RbFWcFcU

>Previous Pantokrator:

Just wanted to say that I was invading Hinnom BEFORE he started staling to make it clear I'm not just abusing his weakness

Once again, if I'm not able to submit my turn in time,to whom do I email to prolong my turn?

Are you the admin?

If it's a /domg/ game, you usually just post what game it is and what nation in this thread.

no

>wake up
>no new turns
REEEEEEE DO YOUR FUCKING TURNS

It's not. 8 hours left.Won't be able to do one in 18.

STAYIN ALIVE STAYIN ALIVE
BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP STAYIN ALIVE

So it looks like everyone plays H3 Ragha - is there a case to be made for H1 or even C1 Ragha instead, or are the design points/heat mages just too good to give up?

How did you find the group? Just randomly joining one on llamaserver?

You want the supersacreds from heat.
Cold ragha is just badcaelum and neutral ragha is janky as fuck.

you can go H1 or H2 sometimes, but mostly if you want cold recruit you should use wolven winter

If you want to use wolven winter, does that mean you'll need W on your pretender?

Sorry for the stupid questions, I've never played Ragha, just poking around on the mod inspector. Their mages seem surprisingly strong for LA, too.

You should have W on your pretender as ragha in about 100% of cases.

Gotcha. Aiming for quickness or is that overkill? The statline of these guys is pretty nuts.

Quickness is pretty ace.

Yes

Don't do that.

You should ask whoever created the game about an extension, which you can't do if you don't know where they are.

even if you're not going for quickness water blesses for Defence are pretty fantastic

>fight a war alongside another nation
>we win it
>meanwhile he's also fighting against another nation
>then a third nation, who is winning the game and has five of five globals up, attacks him
>he suggests I join in the fight alongside him again, and since it's against the favorite to win, I readily agree
>as soon as I do, he backstabs me
I know you should always expect backstabs, but this is fucking ridiculous.

Definitely a bit irate at this, Pangaea.

Is it AI?

Oh wait, yep. He just went AI. Fucking hell.

That's ok, Niefelheim didn't notice either.

Still a bit sketchy to get someone else into your war and then immediately go AI. If he'd not done that, I'd have taken his lands first and then fought Niefelhiem with several more mountain provinces to spawn onis from.

Is casting Flaming Arrows worth it with massed crossbowmen? Or should I not bother because they're already AP?

Do you actually think it matters? Niefelheim literally just needs to claim the thrones in his sphere of influence to win

Many of the thrones in his sphere of influence are still perfectly open to contest.

>should I not bother with nearly doubling damage per shot
It's less of an increase than for bows, but still very much worth using.

Fear not, I'm not claiming the thrones to win....kinda wanna see if anyone can even win a fight against me. Haven't lost a fight other than a mis-scripted Jarl thugging gone wrong. And sorry I don't check every turn to see if you've gone AI yet, thought you had more morale than that!

chaffposters, man

I honestly think that playing Ragha as Caelum-lite is better than playing them as Abysia-lite (with flying fucktoys). Am I wrong?

To expand upon what is saying, flaming arrows causes a second damage roll for every arrow that hits, so it's very much worth it.

I mean, the access to blood and the strength of the heat sacreds are what I thought made heat-Ragha more attractive. But having a native A3W1S1 caster with another 100% path seems like something I'd really want to exploit.

And if you go all the way in one direction, you've got another 3 scales to play around with. So I can see how choosing Abysia-lite for the blood/sacred/design points might be worth not having access to that one mage.

It might also depend on who's in the game too.

They're STR. It's like playing MA Caelum except with neither the A2 mages nor A4. Oh, and all of those expensive, StR A3 mages are magic-duel vulnerable in LA.

I agree, but he's also a 33% shot at the nation's only native way to make astral boosters.

I'm not saying you should mass them, but recruiting one or two seems attractive.

Yes. they're worth getting if you have a cold neighbor or can cast wolven winter etc. I'm just explaining why cold ragha isn't good in spite of the fact that anyfort A3 sounds really good.

Fair point.

On a completely tangential note, it would be really nice if there were more summons you could use to work your way up the magic paths. Trying to reach higher levels in air magic is a particularly serious pain in the dick.

>Trying to reach higher levels in air magic is a particularly serious pain in the dick.
The fact that the easiest way to break into Air magic is a conj 8 summon does say a lot

I don't have steam or discord and waiting for /domg/ to announce game was bothersome.

And to do that, you're looking at an unboosted N3/S1 or a N4. And even then, the Fairy Queen still can't go any higher than A3.

I wouldn't mind if summons used to break into higher paths had some 25% randoms or something so it wasn't a guarantee.

stale

Then you're going to have to stale.

A lot of communities will remove pretenders which aren't announced in the location where the game has started too, for exactly this reason.

Don't fucking do that.

Get Steam or Disord, both are free. Or just fucking wait, or make your own game if you can't.

ded

horde of skeletons

Noob here. When I equip mages with gems for battle magic, do they consume the price of the spell every time they cast it in battle?

Yes, every cast takes the gem cost from them. They can also break a gem to cast a spell of one level higher than they have, or to reduce fatigue.

If I'm casting a spell which has "doesnt affect X unit type" then the caster wont consider that type for any kind of targeting right?

thank you

Pretty sure, dunno if that counts for casting elemental evocations at resistant targets, but in the instance of mages casting spells that don't affect mindless units they don't target them.

I'm shadowblasting against c'tis who are skellyspamming without much non-undead chaff, hoping to hit their living mages

Well, it won't target the undead, but the mages have to be in range, while there's no reason for them to not be near the very back

it's a 35+5/lvl range level 2 spell and I'm casting it at level 8 with my best mage in the communion, is 65 range enough to hit the enemy backline?

Correct. This also applies to weapons, which is why sending one undead commander with an army of longdead against illithids is a bad move. The illithids will focus down the one guy and asplode his head.

I'm not 100% sure this is still true.

yes

It was bugged for a while, but it's still supposed to be.

When did they fix it? I don't remember seeing that in any of the patch notes.

Throne and barbarians in my starter cap? M O R E B A L A N C E D

How big is the actual battlefield?

Is the army setup box the same size?
Or do squads placed on the edge of the battlefield in army setup spill over the battlefield size in that image?

>Is the army setup box the same size?
The dark grey areas represent the setup boxes.

>Or do squads placed on the edge of the battlefield in army setup spill over the battlefield size in that image?
The battlefield will expand to accommodate for troops placed outside the normal range (for example when Ermor brings a million skeletons, or when you put a shitload of troops in line formation), but the size of the setup boxes and the distance between them will stay the same.

>TNN asks me to help him fight Yomi while attacking my provinces and sieging my fort in the same turn.

Excellent diplomacy skills, bro.

Hm...

Cast Second Sun. Make him regret what he did.

Yo Nazca this game is really turning into a chore and it's not going to end anytime soon.
Are you okay with longer turns?

Tien'Chi do your turn dangit.
I know it hasn't been that long but the long start + restart is giving me seriousy blueballs

BIG
Dominion

BIG
BLACK
CANDLES

GG folks, here's my innovator - reanimator sucks even on killy sacreds and evo mages, never again

Ryleh, super sad you didn't storm my throne a turn ago

I'm not surprised it's bad on killy sacreds, but could you elaborate on why you found it to suck on evo mages?

I would say the problem isn't that you took reanimators, but that you took that many points in other blesses and not more scales

Who do pretenders pray to for luck and guidance?

Seemed like a "win more" - reanimator is most effective when you're killing a lot of enemy units. If you're killing a lot of enemy units, you're probably already winning. Extra undead on top of that is irrelevant.

Scales aren't innovative

Innovations that I saw, ranked in order of innovation:
1. Mictlan - no bless, relying on slingers and slaves - very innovative
2. Ctis - fear and prot bless on very meh sacreds - pretty innovative
3. Ermor - Going AI after getting gang banged - low innovation

Me.

Get lost Pankoman nobody wants you.

And yet everyone wants to be me.

First win in dom5 and with MA Xib.

Started out expanding with Fire shield blessed Wo Muuch and the awake dragon. Lands were shit and I was right in the middle of a non wrap around map so the start was bad. Only good thing about the spawn was uw access, a bunch of forests and a cave. My first neighbor was Ermor. I scouted that he was building a fort on my border so I attacked and destroyed it around turn 8. Teamed up with Ulm to remove Ermor. Ulm took grievous losses and I managed to get the Ermor cap so that war went while. In the meantime Mictlan was blobbing like crazy north of me eating Shinuyama. I attacked Mictlan in an attempt to curb his snowballing but got embrioled in a stalemate war. Mictlan raided me hard and sieged my cap but I managed to push him back and just after that my other neighbors attacked him. I took the opportunity to peace out Mictlan and started eating staling Ulm. After rebuilding and expanding a bit I prepared to throne rush using stealthed bat hit squads. Turn 61 I succeeded.

Will post graphs later.

>tfw Mictlan was sieging my cap while I was sieging his

In retrospect, I would've been better off killing Abysia instead of getting involved in your war with Mictlan, considering I already had him on the ropes anyway.

I reaaaaaally should have hit that Throne of Gaia with a couple Elemental Kings the turn you took it, but I hadn't realized you were quite that close to having all the throne points, so I figured I could delay a turn and get a bigger force in place.

Game: MArginallyMoreBalanced
Turn number 2
Next turn due: 20:35 GMT on Saturday February 10th

Abysia 2h file received
Agartha 2h file received
Arcoscephale 2h file received
Atlantis 2h file received
Bandar Log 2h file received
C'tis 2h file received
Eriu 2h file received
Ermor 2h file received
Ashdod 2h file received
Jotunheim 2h file received
Machaka 2h file received
Marignon 2h file received
Oceania 2h file received
Pangaea 2h file received
R'lyeh 2h file received
>T'ien Ch'i Waiting for 2h file
Ulm 2h file received
Ys 2h file received

This is your regularly scheduled bullying.

To be fair I ended the game with 12/10 throne points needed to win. Even if you had pushed me off it wouldn't have mattered.

Sooner or later Mictlan would come knocking at your door due to the way the way the map was shaped.

>Sooner or later Mictlan would come knocking at your door due to the way the way the map was shaped.
Yeah but if you were keeping him busy while I ate Abysia I would've been in a much better position to fight him. He raided me to hell and back, but I won pretty much every major battle. If I wasn't so starved for gold I would've been able to put up a much better fight. And if Mictlan wasn't being pressured by me he wouldn't have left you alone to go rushing for thrones.

does star of heroes break magical armor?

thought I had more time to prepare tbqh

I'm pretty sure Odin sacrificed himself to himself in Norse mythology so praying to yourself probably works too.

graphs
Arco was the leader in most graphs except for raw province count but played too passively to make it count.

>MA Xib now has a 100% win rate

Good job!

How blessed Wo's worked for expansion?
What were your first research goals, enc5?
How would you change your god or scales if you were to play ma xibalba again

>How blessed Wo's worked for expansion?
Great. They took provinces I could get with bats or the dragon and helped out immensely during war with Ermor.

>What were your first research goals, enc5?
alt 2 for earth meld and then conj 5 for elemspam same as almost any nation desu.

>How would you change your god or scales if you were to play ma xibalba again

Perhaps I could take less order and less misfortune. Events really fucked me in the midgame with trolls, knights and bogus attacking me in rapid succession during war with Mictlan.

Did Fire Shield actually help out in any significant way? It always seemed like a waste of points to me.

Yes it did. It's a great bless. Don't listen to theorycrafters.

I finally won this game after subbing in. It is really unfortunate that C'tis and Abysia both decided to vanish/AI when they were my direct neighbors and resting on all the thrones I needed.

But still, it was a good game that helped me understand Dominions 5 a lot more. Thank you for sticking around and playing, Tien'chi and Atlantis.

C'tis quitting was ridiculous considering how big he was. Fucking anonymous games.

I wish I could've put up a better fight, but my war with Ulm ended up gutting me so it took me a while to get back to fighting strength. I also had some shitty luck, like a disease site right under my most important fort (not counting my capital) that I discovered way too late.

Anyway, well played and congrats on the win.

>Apathy is death!