In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here does in good faith become an American and...

>In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here does in good faith become an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with every one else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed or birthplace or origin. But this is predicated upon the man’s becoming in very fact an American and nothing but an American.
>If he tries to keep segregated with men of his own origin and separated from the rest of America, then he isn't doing his part as an American.
>We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile. We have room for but one language here and that is the English language, for we intend to see that the crucible turns our people out as Americans, and American nationality, and not as dwellers in a polyglot boarding house; and we have room for but one soul [sic] loyalty, and that is loyalty to the American people.

Was he right?

Other urls found in this thread:

express.co.uk/news/world/739620/Maria-Ladenburger-murder-EU-official-daughter-killed-by-refugee-Aghan
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

duh

Assimilation is cancer, prove me wrong.

>If he tries to keep segregated with men of his own origin and separated from the rest of America, then he isn't doing his part as an American.

Was he talking about Veeky Forums?

express.co.uk/news/world/739620/Maria-Ladenburger-murder-EU-official-daughter-killed-by-refugee-Aghan

What's this supposed to mean? You are posting examples of assimilation not working.

>assimilation is cancer

>"assimilation is cancer"-user

I honestly have no idea what you are saying.

>asks to prove that assimilation works
>posts many examples of assimilation failing
t-t-thanks I guess?

He's posting examples of people refusing to assimilate and how that is a bad thing.

thus proving the point that assimilation is cancer?

Are you retarded?

Well no. The concept of assimilation isn't null because some people refuse to do it.

Also people commit these crimes, not immigrants. This is still, literally retarded. I mean sure if you can give me a literal crime free society where no one does this shit, go ahead.

One of the most crime-free nations out there (Japan)has some of the most gruesome cases out there.

I mean, I am still utterly confused. Are you trying to imply being against assimilation means you let them in regardless?

>Well no. The concept of assimilation isn't null because some people refuse to do it.
It literally does.

>communism works!!! If only you guys did actual communism
See? How can you say Assimilation isn't cancer when the people who are required to assimilate don't want to.

>it's their fault it doesn't work
>not mine

Also, the quality of 'evidence' (if you can call it that) in this thread is about as strong as bait used on /tv/.

Except the difference between assimilation and communism is assimilation has worked in the past.

>Also people commit these crimes, not immigrants.

this is meaningless drivel talking points for literal school children. They were immigrants who refused to assimilate and proceeded to brutalize the locals.

you talking about crime free societies or whatever is pretty obvious goal post moving since you realize yourself how retarded your "assimilation is cancer" virtue signaling is.

And good job bringing up Japan in your crime free example, one of the most "xenophobic" and homogeneous countries on earth

>assimilation has worked in the past.
Yeah, no. Not the way in which you think it does. Unless of course you think Irish 'assimilating' into American culture counts.

Tell me the lebs in Australia have assimilated, tell me society here isn't heavily segregated on a social level, because of assimilation.

Oh wait, you can't because that's simply the way it is.

>chinese exclusion act
What did he mean by this?

Prove your original statement first

I don't know about how Australia is so I won't act like I do. However Indians, Eastern Asians and Latinos assimilate in America quite fine for example (if you won't accept European immigration as an example). It's only the Muslims that have such a high tendency to refuse to assimilate.

Assimilation doesn't mean there is simply no crime. They have not assimilated if the retain their culture. Simple as that.

Assimilation means they essentially denounce their own culture for American, or where ever they want to live. When you have a wave of Chinese immigrants 'assimilating' into "china town" with majority of them speaking broken English to the point where you can't understand them, it's not really assimilation.

This is going in a direction of /pol/, before we go any further I am not pol, assimilation simply does not work.

Fit in or fuck off is a better policy.

that's blow back from colonialism

>colonialism

you mean that time a bunch of french people went to other parts of the world and failed to assimilate into their customs :)

>or where ever they want to live. When you have a wave of Chinese immigrants 'assimilating' into "china town" with majority of them speaking broken English to the point where you can't understand them, it's not really assimilation.

you're talking first generation
2nd and 3rd generation chinks have assimilated and are now outdoing most average americans in most fields

You are missing the point pham.

A lot of the Chinese people that I know whose families have been here for a while don't speak a lick of their native language. I expect the same to happen to Indians as time goes on. I am a Latino whose family assimilated and as a result I don't speak any Spanish. However I don't really see any problem with letting people keep their cultural traditions into America as long as they aren't ending up harming people (as Muslims often do).

But Muslims do assimilate. There are lots of "cultural" Muslims who drink and shit and are like "cultural" Christians or secular Jews. You just don't see it because you think all Muslims are Salafists. East Asians are most non-religious or the devout ones are Christian refugees who don't go against your Judeo-Christian-Secular world view. Latinos are largely Catholic. There's no caste system in place in the USA. By persecuting Muslims you're only giving them a victim complex. If you want Muslims to assimilate, what you need to to is be "tolerant" while corrupting their faith with American materialism and consumerism.

>However I don't really see any problem with letting people keep their cultural traditions into America as long as they aren't ending up harming people (as Muslims often do).

Because, by literal definition, that is NOT assimilation.

Language is not the only part of culture there is. Tell you me your main circle of friends are not latino also, tell me you don't eat latino food, tell me your family, at least someone in it doesn't have roots to their latino culture.

That is the point, you cannot assimilate properly if you retain some of your culture, that's not assimilation.

Historical Chinatowns are the result of whites excluding Asians from integrating and assimilating.

Except that literally happens with all immigrants. There used to be entirely german speaking towns all across the midwest. A Norwegian only newspaper used to be the most popular in the northern Midwest for decades.

After a generation or two, they are highly americanized and assimilated. This was the case with every different group that has come to America from the germans, japs, irish, Italians, and Hispanics.

This. And its precisely what happens on Europe which is why they have an issue of nationals being radicalized.

Excluding groups of people from the national identity is pretty sure fire way to make them want to bomb you.

>Historical Chinatowns are the result of whites excluding Asians from integrating and assimilating.
'No'.

I know there are Muslims that assimilate I have met them. I'm more referring to how assimilation of Muslims have gone in Germany and Sweden for example when I say that. I don't believe that it's impossible for Muslims to assimilate but when they come over in such big groups they can just stay with their group as there's no reason to assimilate.

>they are highly americanized and assimilated.
Kek, I mean, you can say it all you want. That doesn't make it true. If they all actually assimilated into American society, literally, the only culture you would see would be American culture.

That's not the case though, is it? But I mean, without getting into ad hom, you as an American I highly doubt you are able to even competently identify foreign culture. It's been homogenised for too long, Australia is the same.

For the record most of my main circle of friends is Anglo except one is half Colombian. But I guess I'm okay with people not assimilating completely then. As long as they can coexist without issue there's not much reason to worry about that.

Go back to your shithole of a homeland then.

Are you really this ignorant about history? You're probably one of those people that thinks Asians are the model minority and never faced any widespread discrimination from white Americans.

I'm native American.

>But I guess I'm okay with people not assimilating completely then
Yeah no they never properly assimilate. People will say shit like"rah rah is being assimilated into x country" but it's never real assimilation.

True assimilation is pretty brutal and only a policy of nations who do not have thousands of years of culture.

Melting pot is a much nicer policy, although a form of assimilation, it allows retention of culture to create a new homogenous culture which includes everyone.

Kek, I mean you can go to wiki and find out why chinatowns exist, pham.

Again, 'No'.

>Was he right?

He ran again in 1912 as a third-party and lost.

And a lot of it is whitewashed, but you can still find scattered references about whites chimping out, massacring Chinese workers, banning them from owning property, and driving them out of the white parts of town.

Glad I could have this discussion with you user and gain a greater understanding of assimilation.

Yes user, the China towns built to ease Chinese immigration from the 1500's onwards have been to avoid whites suppressing Asian assimilation.

I mean, I am not saying they were not a refuge (your argument) but they have been around for a lot longer than you think.

And you said I was ignorant, you even went the 'whitewashed' route, why did even reply to someone who is intellectually lazy?

Now you're just rambling incoherently to try and maintain an unsupported sense of superiority.

go back to Siberia

So wait, you actually are saying the first Chinatowns created in Vietnam and southern asia were created to try to curb whites stopping asians from assimilating into white culture? Or are you saying thats white washed history?

Stop posting buzzwords and elaborate.

Did you even read the OP? The context of this thread is American assimilation. You keep going off on tangents about Islam in Europe and now Chinatowns in Asia. Do I really need to put the qualifier American in front of everything in a thread about American assimilation and immigration? I'm sorry you're so fucking retarded user.

This is your post.

>Historical Chinatowns are the result of whites excluding Asians from integrating and assimilating.

Or at least what this argument is about. I am asking you to elaborate. You cannot, therefore you have been proven to be talking out your ass.

I mean, re-read your posts. Pretty funny.

No, you went off on a tangent about East Asian Chinatowns starting in the 1500s, and now you're playing dumb. You're retarded user.

This is the OP
>In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here does in good faith become an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with every one else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed or birthplace or origin. But this is predicated upon the man’s becoming in very fact an American and nothing but an American.
>We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile. We have room for but one language here and that is the English language, for we intend to see that the crucible turns our people out as Americans, and American nationality, and not as dwellers in a polyglot boarding house; and we have room for but one soul [sic] loyalty, and that is loyalty to the American people.

>Was he right?

>Binondo is a district in Manila and is referred to as the city's Chinatown and is the world's oldest Chinatown.[2] Its influence extends beyond to the places of Quiapo, Santa Cruz, San Nicolas. It is the oldest Chinatown in the world, established in the 1594[3] by the Spaniards as a settlement near Intramuros but across the Pasig River for Catholic Chinese, it was positioned so that colonial rulers could keep a close eye on their migrant subjects.[4]

>spaniards arent white they are moors :^)

Elaborate on or don't even bother replying. You made a statement, one you cannot back up. Back it up, or stop replying.

Stating the fact that this has literally nothing to do with the OP is besides the point, you made a statement, back it up. Don't be lazy, say you were wrong, back it up, or stop posting.

Either way, you cannot, you are fucking wrong.

For the record. I am , this thread is over pham, just waiting for you to back up your blatantly wrong statement.

Damn Hispanics (not white)

But I'm Hispanic (white)

What does that have to do with whether he was right or not.

Kek, I mean, you could use an example which doesn't work in my favour, ya know? Because Binondo was used for the express purposes, of you know, assimilating Chinese into the Spaniard society.

Explicitly those Chinese which converted to Catholicism (assimilation).

I mean, words have meaning, you should read them.

Name a society or state that worked that didn't practice cultural assimilation. Multiculturalism in the sense of everyone being able to ghettoize and self-segregate into their host nations does not, never has and never will work.

>Latinos
Fucking lol are you kidding me? They take over entire towns and turn them into Latino country. Latino gangs in Cali have an explicit policy of engaging in the ethnic cleansing of blacks in historically black towns/neighborhoods; they've taken over Compton for instance.

Mexicans especially tend not to see themselves as Americans of Mexican heritage or even Mexican-Americans but Mexicans in America.

>Name a society or state that worked that didn't practice cultural assimilation.

Cultural assimilation has not existed in the last thousand years. Cultural assimilation means the migrants do not practice their former cultural traits in their new homeland, they denounce their culture for their new homelands culture.

Are you telling me this is the case in countries which 'assimilated' migrants?

Have you even read a book about American history in the 1800s that mentioned Chinese? Asians are a small niche group, there's not a shitload of books and sources specifically on Asian American history, that doesn't mean the shit they had to deal with doesn't get mentioned from time to time. Whites didn't always see Asians as model minorities, and they didn't want them around just like they didn't want blacks around. There's lots of evidence for this. Specifically Asian-American history is niche, and half of it is on the Japanese because of internment.

I see myself as an American before a Mexican but that's just me I suppose. I'm not really sure about gangs ethnically cleansing black people. I don't know what the situation is like on the West Coast however, California was originally apart of Mexico so I'm not sure how they're "turning" it into Latino country. I'm not trying to be a smartass just please explain this to me in further detail.

None of what you have said has anything to do with the history of Chinatown and their creation.

>laws don't work because people break them
>currency doesn't work because people trade or steal
>property doesn't work because people don't respect it

???

Nice try palm, more like this.

>an ideology doesn't work when people don't like the ideology.
I mean, that's basic common sense, no?

"Result of" doesn't just mean the creation. It also refers to their size and form, and specifically relevant to the thread's topic, lack of assimilation, beyond simply being landing pads for non-English-speaking immigrants and places to do commerce of ethnic commodities. You've already accepted, then rejected that Chinatowns were refuges from whites chimping out. Imported migrant labor was often physically separated from the native white labor. It was certainly the case for the transcontinental railroad.

>laws
>not a spook
>currency
>not a spook
>property
>not a spook

???

>you
>not a spook

???

i am a spook tho

SPOOKS LEAVE MY BOARD

I think the better question is, "How are there people currently breathing at the end of 2016 that STILL somehow think 'assimilation is cancer'"?

We're on Veeky Forums. It's a HISTORICAL FACT that taking in boatloads of uncontrolled refugees while letting them subvert their culture is a recipe for the fall of an established nation

t. snownig

Good thing Murrica has no culture to assimilate into in the first place.

Much less in the begginings of the XX century.

t. Francóis Muhammad al-Shabab

You idiots need to stop using "culture" to mean "culture that I think is sophisticated."

OF COURSE America has culture, unless you think that the way Americans act is the natural way humans behave, their default, so to speak. Which it obviously isn't.

"Culture" doesn't mean "impressive intellectual tradition."

I don't give a shit that you don't like America, truly, I don't, but at least try not to sound so anthropologically illiterate.

>You idiots need to stop using "culture" to mean "culture that I think is sophisticated."
This. I'm European but this shit is just embarrassing, culture is a far broader and all encompassing thing than operas and 500 year old churches.

This. Y'all joke about hamburgers but then you come tour over here and you fall in love with it. McDonalds will never do it justice.

That's only because that fat fuck Taft ruined everything.

t.muhammad

Yes.