/egg/ - Engineering Games General - Formerly /svgg/

Pls No More Spiders Edition
Previous jej: The thread is dedicated to all games about building machines and systems out of blocks, in space or otherwise. Also, all these games are ded. Only ded games may join, otherwise they must have their own thread.
Whether or not a game belongs in /egg/ is a case by case matter, however games that would belong in /svgg/, space voxel games general, are automatically considered /egg/

WebM for physicians:
>gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter.git

List of currently known and vaguely not dead /egg/ games (this list is not fully inclusive and if you think a game might belong here, feel free to ask):
>Algodoo
>Avorion
>Besiege
>Chode - Children of a Dead Earth
>Corneroids
>Crossout
>Empyrion - Galactic Survival
>Factorio
>From the Depths
>GearBlocks
>Garry's mod
>Homebrew - Vehicle Sandbox
>Infinifactory
>Intersteller Rift
>KOHCTPYKTOP: Engineer of the People
>Machinecraft
>Opus Magnum
>REM
>Robocraft
>Robot Arena
>Scrap Mechanic
>SHENZEN I/O
>Space Engineers
>SpaceChem
>StarMaden b
>Stormworks
>Skywanderers
>TerraTech

Games that are definitely not /egg/:
>Minecraft
>The general that quite literally cannot be named.The Mexican scam artist one. With the shitposters. Fuck off.
>underageb& who won't use the search function and also won't read where are they posting

Information about these games, such as where to get them if they're not on steam, trailers, /egg/ conquered/hosted servers, and other shit can be found in this pad:
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggames
fromthedepthsgame.com

OP pad for future /ded/s
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggop

Warbros Serb rides in CLANGhalla eternal, shiny and chrome

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Kdp5bfcrHME
youtube.com/watch?v=7EmbDb6pv4M
youtube.com/watch?v=TOpsB5n9DZ8
youtu.be/W6SZpth2cAM?t=88
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_class#Metal
store.steampowered.com/app/392080/Wayward_Terran_Frontier_Zero_Falls/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

first for spiders

>tfw no game where you have to scavenge derelict ships, either ripping them out for parts or just welding them to your ship and then figure out a way to make the wildly different systems work nicely with each other

spider pussy

spiderposting is a false flag by kspg to provide a gateway to bestiality

I was just fucking around just to gross out that one guy.

I don't like ksp, I just like bugs.

I'm an entomologist, I just want people to know about the natural world.

God damn it.

I had no fucking idea the PU shit was such a meme.

I'm an engineer, I just want people to know about the mechanical world.
Wanna take a tour of my fully automated showers?

I thought about posting some like some arachnids break off a dick and present it to their mates like a bouquet of flowers, but I figured spider pussy was more impactful.
Worst girl.

>still not popi

>shitty moth
Posting best moth

Gotta understand nature to build better machines my man.

This. That's why researchers are studying Bees and ants to make better AI and robotics. Emergent complexity.

I'm loving this little lander.

conveniently spider-sized

>horse ass for ants

just zoom in, it's only a little out of focus

>a little out of focus
Speaking of out of focus.

Why did the Space Engineers update seem to make everything a little out of focus? Turning off post processing helps a little.

Graphic update by Shadbase

>build submarines irl
>can't even build bote in ftd

Thomas J. Kelly is smiling in his grave
youtube.com/watch?v=Kdp5bfcrHME

it's just a game.

You don't build submarine alone last i checked.
Or are you talking about your own kickstarter project?
Games logic isn't RL Logic anyway, that's why you end up with alot of game like factorio where iron plates are a thing and steel plate another although producing pure iron is way more complicated than steel.

go back to work now!

Marv just flew away in my ship
wtf

He does that a lot. He's a total dick.

He IS a total dick.
Fucking Marv

Jerking off in the bathtub is not building submarines.

Are you planning on dismembering a reporter on your maiden voyage?

kek

dod.

How do I get this dick to man the goddamn weapons? What's even the fucking point of having him? Can I give him a gun and armor? I guess I'm retarded. The AI's tone when it refers to me is starting to feel validated.

The game does not explain any thing. The dev has a ty channel that's not even mentioned in game. You have to dig around for it. They're the most disorganized team I've ever seen.
youtube.com/watch?v=7EmbDb6pv4M

knee deep in dod featuring spess men and clang when?

put him in a gunnery console
not sure if you can have them run around to repair the ship either, they will repair stuff they pass but only stand behind u

also you can't even look at the key list while ingame.. maybe worth it to print that out

DO I need to start spamming legos or some shit again?

I'd be ok with that.

How do you unload trains in factorio without balancers taking up half a screen, without using bots?

can the crew pilot and shoot from the ships? How I do that?

Use the balancer on the loading side

Post simple-yet-effective designs

I was shitposting back at the dude, but if we're going to actually make some discussion here... there's a difference between substantial criticism and going 'oh he's a fucking furfag, absolutely haram'. Or criticising the GTX580 because it had shitty mechamusume art on the box instead of its actual flaws.

Real criticism of Bobs Mods might be something like 'good fucking god setting up electronics is a miserable experience before you've got logistics bots'. Bob himself admits he doesn't really play his own mod, mostly he just tests stuff to make sure it works.

Kek. That one was funny.

I don't play this game, is that sword a object from the environment or did you add it when you built it?

It's exactly as the filename says, a truck for lifting the sword (stuck vertically in the ground at level start) by the handguards, positioning so that it falls on the flatbed, then driving home

Here's another 'get [x] to start point', except with a floating crystal.
Next time I'll try to have fun with a grabber slingshot or something.

Yes and I'm still trying to figure that out. The asshole did it while I was repairing another ship after an EVA. Marv is a dick.

madzuri loader and unloader

Something similar happened to me but the the ship I was repairing was intact enough for me to run him down and kill him.

fucking lol

side note: whomever designed these ships needs to be shot
I'm tired of not having the range on my repair gun to repair half the fucking ship. I just spent almost an hour fighting fires that I couldn't reach and repairing/troubleshooting engines that had no power coming through damaged conduits one tiny square wide. Thank god for that repair station to the south of me. This game gets the realistic tedium right, for sure. It sure was satisfying, though, to barely survive an intense battle and the subsequent damage control. Fuck asteroids, btw.

How the fuck is fire spreading in space anyway?

waaahhh my grabbers broke :((

HOW IS IT BURNING METAL
I understand components burning up and snaking through the ship, but unused space? Fucking bulkheads catching fire two squares outside my extinguishers range. Fucking hell.

simple is a relative term

medieval hookshot technology :^)

theres no reason to use a balancer at all anymore

COMMENCE PULLING

also what is a good way to find cargo ships that have stuff on them? Going through all the motions just to find an empty cargo hold is getting old. I need money.

fucking fire wont go away
I let the reactors explode but the fire is still there
extinguisher bots when

youtube.com/watch?v=TOpsB5n9DZ8
youtu.be/W6SZpth2cAM?t=88
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_class#Metal

wat gaem

store.steampowered.com/app/392080/Wayward_Terran_Frontier_Zero_Falls/

there is an airdrop on the last jej

are there weapons to blast the fuck out of things?

yea its ok its early access but u can spend a few hours blowing shit up

It has a lot of shortcomings, the biggest I would say is the wonky control scheme that uses arcade-style forward/reverse/yaw controls in the space environment. You can switch to translation controls but it tends to mess things up because it also makes the ship point at the mouse. The obvious fix would be to have forward/reverse, yaw, and strafe all mapped on the keyboard (QWEASD was made for this) but I didn't see a controls menu so you're stuck with what they give you.

am i retarded

PULL!!

>tfw didn't even expect it to work

How possible, and how good or bad of an idea is it to build a ship in FtD around a really really big weapon system? I want to build something similar to the Yamato where it's basically a fuckoff huge powerful gun with a ship built around it.

Also, not completely related, I haven't messed about much with building ships yet, but understand there's a drag mechanic based on how angular the front of your ship is. Is it possible to build hatches at the nose of a ship that don't affect the drag but can open up to let you fire torpedoes from underwater? I know there's a rotor piece you can attach shit to in order to make stuff spin and whatnot, but I'm curious if/how it interacts with the physics of what it's attached to.

I don't think sub-objects like turrets and things on rotors/pistons count towards drag, only the main body does. As for building around a single large weapon, I don't see why not. Just make sure it stays facing the right way to use it, though, which might take some AI/ACB fuckery

COME AND GET ME YOU FUCKING BASTARDS

>armored tracks actually armored

Need some advice. So my setup is basically trying to pump out each science pack type 1/s, so 10 red assemblers + 12 green + 24 blue. I had no idea the electric mining drill would be so costly on iron though. So now everything is basically waiting on it. Am I doing something else wrong here? Or should I just increase iron plate smelting? Also, haven't got into modules, any way to use those to reduce the iron plate sink in the elec mine drills?

I have no Idea what to do next
like, I am making resources faster than I am using them yet I have nothing to use the excess stuff on

besiege egg serb when pls

and forgot pic

Put productivity modules in assemblers to reduce material consumption per item produced. Put speed modules in beacons to get item production rate back to where you want it.

>1 science per second in what is clearly the earliest of early games
>that disgusting iron setup
stop wasting iron on techs you don't need and get some fucking trains going
push for robots
automate everything

More labs is the obvious choice, three aren't going to last you very long.
You can also quit making shotgun ammo because it is bad and start making AP ammo which is good, a single AP ammo factory will use more material inputs than your current raw material production chain can produce by far.

but I like shotguns

science per second in what is clearly the earliest of early games
>>that disgusting iron setup
You sure told me. 1 science per second is just fine though and there has been nothing wrong with iron setup until now. Obviously I am planning on modifying it, hence the asking for advice. I get that this place is filled with autists that can't into reading comprehension, but I still expected more from /egg/. So unless you have actual advice, don't respond to me.
>trains
completely pointless when I have all the resources within belt reach.

well obviously you don't need help, fuck off and enjoy your spaghetti

In a space game would you rather have warping/'instantaneous long range travel' use the same fuel as everything else or use its own special fuel?
In games with separate star systems that can't be traversed between by normal speed travel in any reasonable amount of time without a generational ship that would mean either the possibility of getting stuck in a system with no jump fuel or require every system to have that fuel making it less rare
Not having separate fuels makes it a lot easier to obtain jump capability though and makes the mechanic less special

The only way I could think to not have this decision would be to arbitrarily make it so that only stationary installations could 'jump' ships to other locations which either means needing two jump stations or have the possibility of getting stranded again unless you're a ship which can build a return gate at the other end

god damn that was hard to read
format your posts a little more please, at least line break or make a new sentence

I prefer stargate like structures so that a faction or player would have to defend it.
Plus it gives a reason to have a home base rather than a giant fuckoff mother ship with all capabilities built in.

I need advice user, not criticism for the sake of criticism.

you got my advice
you don't need 1 science per second when your base is that small
your iron production is utter garbage, your bus is pathetic, everything is too close together and there's literally nowhere you can expand without ripping up existing infrastructure
forget about science entirely and start making nothing but belts, inserters, assemblers, furnaces and turrets so you can make a real base somewhere else

just do 1 per second, even that is ample until much much later unless you know what you are doing & will build fast

go mine more iron
put prod 1 modules in everything
etc

how do I stop myself from endlessly restarting in Factorio?
I have been playing it for 18 hours so far and I have not even gotten really into the red/green tech because I keep deleting everything and restarting the save

build a base just to build the stuff you need to build a real base
automate inserters, belts, assemblers and turrets
then, instead of deleting, just build a new base somewhere else

Alright then. Any advice on dealing with bitter nests without any military science researched yet?
Nades and submachine gunning just isn't cutting it anymore. I have the modular armor, but obviously no good military tech modules (shield, etc).
Basically, what's the best way to clear these bug nests in this early/mid game?

flamethrower

slap down a dozen turrets and put ammo in them

lol?
learn the ratios and learn the layouts of how to do shit
do a start that has sufficient iron/copper to carry you through most of the game

or play in MP so much of the tedium is spread amongst people