Old
>FAQ
pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34

>What to Play
pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/CTJ0hpLe

>News
New gigantic DDA mod release that lets you "win" DDA!
github.com/tyrael93/Ascension/releases
This post explains some shit I guess
discourse.cataclysmdda.org/t/ascension-mod-or-winning-dda-the-mod/14799

IVAN 0.51 released
github.com/Attnam/ivan/releases/tag/v051

Sil-q updated
github.com/sil-quirk/sil-q/releases

ADOM r88 released for free, includes new secret boss and dinosaurs, get it here:
adom.de/home/downloads.html

>/rlg/'s shared DCSS online account
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on Xtahua)

>Roguelike Servers:
roguenex.us/ (CDDA, angband, PCB)
angband.live/ (Angband and variants, including PCB)
hardfought.org/ (Nethack and variants, including slex)

Other urls found in this thread:

pasteboard.co/H8hviTr.png
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Not very happy with you fuckers lately

In the end we really were /rlg/ the roguelike general

i was busy with a Very Important task

cheeky

Caves of Qud

i need help and i dont know where get help, i want to play cataclysm dda using retrodays tileset, but i theres not guides or shit

Will be keeping the thread alive with the power of hate from here on out

truely we hitting permadeth soon

slex is better than most roguelikes

binding of isaac

that hatebait

I've tried the lab challenge in cdda a few times and I can attest the only challenge is actually finding the exit. The lab itself is safer than the outside world. I read the final turret can be dealt with by blinding it with smoke (testing this soon) or simply throwing shit at it, which means all those free points gained from scenario can be dumped into stats no problem. Then you secure food, study some computers and raid that goldmine without time constraints.

I mean its no tangledeep but its better than roguelites like adom and dcss

>go to options menu
>find the "tileset" option
>pick tileset you want
did you even try to solve the problem before immediately giving up and asking someone else to do it for you

Yep. Give yourself about 5/6 computer skill and start with a profession like lab technician that starts with a pre-existing +2 to it. with 8 computers you'll never trigger a bad reaction with a computer.

But if you can easily get out with 0 starting skills all those extra points can be dumped into stats and traits.

take a lot of useless or actually useful bad traits like heavy sleeper and poor hearing.
Even better, abandon all illusions of minmaxing and play freebird.

>go to the most dangerous realm in the universe
>filled with gay draconian bath houses

+3 great mace is good to use my shining one holy brand spell?

How's haque?

IF you are already trained in maces, and IF you're past the parts of the game where holy is useless garbage (aka the first ~5 runes)

I'm at snake pits. I'll show some pics for better understanding and some help. I'm not a very good player, but i'm trying my best at this run.

I don't want to use the great mace cuz it's 2H... idk how to proceed. My skills: pasteboard.co/H8hviTr.png

Fucking kek. The more I watch this gif the funnier it gets.

I hope you cast a lot of neat spells today, anonymous!

the holy brand itself only affects undead and demons, and so is totally useless in lair branches, mostly usless in vaults and depths, and finally starts to Git Gud and become the best brand in game in crypt/pandemonium/hell/tomb (antimagic is arguably better against some enemies in there)

eveningstars are the best 1hander maces alongside demon whips. so if you wanna use the shield it may be worth holy branding that evenstar now just to get rid of the draining brand (plus 2-3 free enchants)

though the unbranded great mace will probably be better until your shield skill is a bit higher. hopefully in the mean time you'll find a scroll of brand weapon to turn your evningstar into something good, so you can have a nice brand for now and only change it to holy once you're at the part of the game where holy matters

You have no shield training and your current SH is pretty low. While you *could* invest in Shields and get more defensive options, I think it'd be better to use the great mace. It's a strong weapon, although it's not as useful as one with branding.

I think Dodging would be a better investment over Shields.

Is the DDA ascension mod any good? like, is the content worth it and the additions balanced?

it has no content nor additions
it glues 3 or 4 other cdda mods together, adds one (1) item drop to the biggest murderiest monster from each, and then adds a crafting recipe to turn those 4 items into a "you win" button
you can get all the content except said "you win" button just by installing the normal versions of those mods separately

Is the "you win" button at least satisfying? If so i might just get it so I have something to actually work towards instead of mowing down hordes in my death machine because nothing can or will scratch me after 20 hours.

I got a +3 flail of crusing if it helps. There is a r pois shield too.

>forget about thread for a few hours
>panic and rush to check it to make sure it’s still alive
Where did it all go so wrong?

I've never done lab but really bad day is my normal start. Is it easier than that? Raiding labs after I am established seems easy (but cold labs are still a pain in the ass) but some of the stuff in there seems lethal to a new survivor.

Might get fucked by rng pretty hard but it's impossible to get cornered by baddies because of steel doors. The scary monsters are always locked away too. It's not a quick start but it's easy, yes.

More like the first 3 runes right? Shoals/Swamp, Spider/Naga, and Vaults. After that its crypt, lairs of Hell, and then everything else. It's also good in the abyss.

It does nothing in slime pits either. 5 runes is about right (it's kind of a wash in abyss)

Does anyone go for abyss before they go after the other runes? Same with slime, slimes are hard so I blast through them later on.

So I did that HoFi for a 15 runer. The mutations were terrible. I did slimy and dark runes with 3 ranks of berserkitis and decided it was too fucking dangerous so I ascended with 6. I was using silver javelins to kill the mutaters but they were still tagging me as soon as entering los. I either need a different plan or I got unlucky.

abyss and slime are about on par with the difficulty of vaults:5, though this varies based on your character and build
this means you probably want to do vaults 1-4 and all of depths first
a player doing a 3-rune run can then choose whichever of those three is easiest for her character and head to zot right afterwards. a player doing a 15-rune run will need all of them anyways, and they're still easier than panhelltomb. might do crypt/elf/vestibule before runes 4 & 5 if she's not feeling prepared, though

>her
>she's
We have one of the crawl devs posting in our thread right now. Show your respect anons.

*bow

>3
post the first and second one user

It was my first time editing a gif.

I don't know if this is actually different from fun3, or if I just resaved it as a different name.

Isn't it kinda hard to get past the top floor turret/outside? I read that homewrecker or a matchbook bomb is your best bet to get outside, but there is a chronic lack of food in labs (unless you are a cannibal)

then become a cannibal
if you're REALLY lucky you could find some mutagen that gives you the rat-tree mutation allowing you to eat zombie corpses

also yeah, bombs are the best way to kill the turret. if you can build some bombs you can break a wall and skip the turret all together.

you'll need a lot more than 1 bomb to break the wall also

the advice i see parroted in /rlg/ is emp grenades
they instantly kill autoturrets, and if you start with high enough computer (?) skill you learn the recipe automatically
apparently they're relatively easy to craft with the materials inside labs, too

the other much more fun but much dumber option is to start with really high traps skill and disarm all the teleporter traps you can find to get a handheld teleportation device. then you can just zap yourself outside the walls when you reach the ground floor

>handheld teleportation device
That's a thing? Vanilla?

It's vanilla, I have picked up a few before.

yes but teleportation means traveling through the mushroom aids dimension; enjoy your infection
also if it teleports you into a wall i think you might instantly die

Is that why I was blinded after teleporting around? Am I in danger?

You get netherworld attention, which causes random bad things to happen to you. The status is invisible aside from its effects. At low doses it's not very dangerous, mainly just annoying, and it goes away after a while.

Please no space aids. I teleported around like 15 times already. Got some good elf mutations and I really like this character.

>I read that homewrecker or a matchbook bomb is your best bet to get outside
None of that works any more. Generally you end up crafting an electrohack or using a teleporter. If you don't have pk mod on you can try to ninja the ID card from the boss room.

>there is a chronic lack of food in labs
This is true, but it takes a long time to actually starve to death and if you can't get out by then you're probably trapped. Also you'll forget about being sad about cannibalism by the time it takes you to sleep.

Oh and if you ever start tasting mushroom in your mouth randomly you should probably get that checked by a doc. (Or eat a bag of fungicide, if doctors aren't an option)

Teleportation can also actually cause a fungal infection, just like you can get from fungal spores/towers/etc, though you won't see any symptoms for a very long time.
There's some implied background lore for ya: the fungaloids are alien beings from another dimension. New Englandian scientists reached too far too fast experimenting with newteleporter technology, and one of their test subjects ended up as an unknowing carrier and patient zero for the magic space mushroom plague.

>make literal gallons of purifier to become an alpha

Is there a more autistic thing you can possibly do in cataclysm?

Also,

>eat a marloss berry because never done it before
>the alpha mutation rejects it

Well fuck you too. I guess I will just torch all the shrooms then.

+2 large shield with r poison or +1 shield +2 int +stealth? Playing as GrFi of Shining One.

6 int without shield

>angband
>low difficulty
what

end up with fungal infection form all the teleporting

get some fungicide ready

Oh wait, nevermind, I did one thing that was more autistic than that: I made a small brick house. Brick houses require an extreme amount of autism to make and there is absolutely no benefit.

>you can repeatedly go up and down stairs to get exactly what you want in a level

are you on hoard mode? if so houses are good

Wel he got me into this mess but at least he's getting me out of it.

6 Int is fine. If you can wear the large shield without too much encumbrance, you should probably use that.

Rpois is useless on a garg right?

The large shield will lower your attack speed until shields are at 25 skill, a normal shield only takes 15 skill. Neither of the brands/attributes are worth a whole lot, but for a 3 rune run I would stick to normal shields (25 skill is quite a bit)

>nethack endgame
>hard
it should drop off faster than cdda, but maybe bottom out at a higher minimum
its endgame is probably below angband though

ill fix it

also cdda's whole line should be ~1/3 the length it currently is, and then wink out with a little "no actual content" label for the rest of the graph

kek, will do

Has anyone done the Marloss seed/berry/flower thing? What does it actually do?

gives you snowflake mushroom mutation tree
you become one with the shrooms and get some cool abilities

DCSS earlygame is the easiest shit in the world if you aren't playing a retarded combo. It's only around Lair and beyond that it becomes challenging.

That's the annoying thing about it. You have to grind through layers of tedious o tabbing before getting to a challenge.

maybe i just suck

dcss is literally the most challenging in the earlygame for an experienced player who knows what she is doing (and isn't speedrunning), and then it just gets easier and easier throughought the "normal" game with spikes (still less dangerous than D:1-3) for rune3, zot, and optionally panhelltomb
enemies get more and more ways to fuck the player up, but the player's options to unfuck herself grow even faster

Literally the exact opposite of this

Centaurs on d:2 says ohaiyo

It's too bad the devs have removed more and more of the player's options to unfuck himself(male).

>incredibly rare RNG assfuck = challenging earlygame
???

>Xom says "See what I see!"
>You detect nothing
>Xom laughs

>teleport away from scary enemies
>Xom teleports me right back
>nearly have a heart attack
>he teleports me away again

You cheeky fucker

>incredibly rare
Your are a fucking retard m8,

Gnolls kill more people than any other monster in the game, and they aren't doing it post-lair

Once you've been through lair most characters probably have a stockpile of consumables that'll keep them alive in all but the most retarded of fuckups, you don't have that insurance on d:1-4

>fuck
>(male)
pic related

but yeah it may be fairer to say that dcss earlygame is not "most challenging" but is "most dangerous/highest chance of splat"
you are sometimes called upon to make touch decisions but often you just get thrown into crazy RNG situations like ood centaur or acidwand ijyb or 4 jackals in the 1 exit to the starting room when you're a wizard
later areas have more of a direct "you died because you made bad decisions" relationship, but much lower death rates because actually MAKING those correct decisions remains relatively easy (for a experienced players)

The last time I tried Xom I had a kobold in z:5. Asshole teleported me next to OoF and turned me into an ice beast (he probably thought he was helping)

>Gnolls kill more people than any other monster in the game, and they aren't doing it post-lair
this statement represents a flawed understanding of statistics
you need to look at the marginal kill rate -- the chance of killing a player relative to the chance of the player actually reaching their dungeon level.
if i a coin 5 times and say "the first time i get heads you die", the first flip will get twice as many kills as the the second, which will get twice as many as the third, etc. but all are equally dangerous

As gargoyle, should i been flying forever? Is there any penalty by flying?

some enemies can do you more damage while you fly

Airstrikers are the only reason to not fly. Gargoyles, Tengus, and Black Draconians should always be flying otherwise

A few monsters airstrike and it does more damage if you are flying. That's pretty much it.

A guy just did a 20 game 15 rune streak in the crawl forum.

How did his streak end? Not from gloorx, or cerebov, or tomb:3

He died from a centaur.

As a Gargoyle, Shatter is a huge threat to you, so you should be flying at all times unless something uses a spell that does bonus damage to fliers.