Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/apotheosisgame
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

are you ready to dev?

>posting dead games in the OP
not a good way to start

>(7 days left)
[PANIC]
By the way I forgot to post the real camera webm (got carried away trying to make a proper gif) so I'll take advantage of the new thread.

I like it a lot.

I just devved for 8 hours
Now is the time for r&r

progress now!

what did you get done today?

Just fuck my shit up

Thanks. I'm pretty satisfied with it too, barely changed anything compared to what I had a couple days ago but using the proper camera location makes a huge difference.

If you have a really big target for something to aim at (turrets aiming at ships in this example), what's a good way to let them shoot any part of it instead of just the position?

I was thinking of having multiple "target" objects within the ship and then each turret just looks for target objects, not ships, and shoots at them.

Shoot at a position within the ship's bounding box.

Native russian speaker here. I can deliver a decent eng2rus localization since I actually train to be a translator

It's also cool to see some more interiors, I think I saw some post earlier in the week about tiling textures being easier than intricate geometry but I didn't know it was your game.

That's the issue, I can't just raycast thousands of times towards the ship to check line of sight.

Made some more fanart for our great devs here!

Katya is best army girl!

I made blocks you can push and fixed some bugs and then started setting up my RPG elements

Hit me up on Discord with Rokas#0521

Absolutely nothing other than some half-assed ideacrafting. I am ashamed.

Finally got round to spriting the monsters. I'll most probably get round to animating the lot tomorrow.

Oh Canada~
Carrying on the tradition of Ancient Egyptian sports.

Alright agdg how does my sliding ice particles look?

nice but that girl needs a bra

color is too saturated, makes them look like they're glowing

Would stand out better if the particles had either a brighter center or outline.

Progress went to shit this week. Trying to tackle mechanics in google sheets etc. Early days of a crafting diagram.

what game are you doing?

And another one!

>that girl needs a bra
But why?

Because she is wearing a uniform and her breasts are going off in two different directions. It looks unkempt.

industrial/psychic survival rpg

they should arc in a shallow way in the opposite direction of travel.

looks interesting though it'd be nice to see it in action

>It looks unkempt.
it looks like a fantastic distraction from being shot at, you mean. Gotta take those moral boosts where you can.

I'd rather get shot then look at saggy grandma tits like those

A LEAF.

Were you born in Canada or did you move there because its legal to fuck dogs?

>saggy grandma tits
There are different kinds of boobies user, don't discriminate!

This one ?
I haven't been posting much interiors because everything I've done before this one was terrible (as mentionned, wrong workflow).

You don't need a single raycast. You get the actor's position, add a random vector that will give a position within the bounding box of the ship, and then add the target leading.

>saggy grandma tits
t.has never seen naked 3d breasts in his life
Well at least you'll be easy to please with a doujin book or two.

wait, which agdg game is this ?

Does anyone know what happened to smtdev? His tumblr has been dead for fucking ages now.

I feel like I'm too concerned with efficiency where it doesn't matter. Like currently my turn system just has a list of objects and has an incrementing int that calls each one and then resets to zero. I keep feeling like there's probably a super concise way of doing that I keep looking for.

>You get the actor's position, add a random vector that will give a position within the bounding box of the ship, and then add the target leading.

And if that point is out of view / range of the turret but a different point wouldn't be? That's the problem I'm trying to solve.

Post your code and see what optimisation suggestions people have

>And if that point is out of view / range of the turret but a different point wouldn't be?
Check every corner of the ship's bounding box + actor position, find the one that's in view, and closest, add a random vector of size X that offsets within the bounding box, check again if it is reachable, if not, decrease the size of the vector until it does.
But regardless, you can check range by using distance, and view by using the dot product of the turret's forward vector and the unit vector between the turret and the ship. No raycasts here. The only use a raycast has over it is checking if the line of sight is obstructed so I'd throw that as a last check once you've got something in range.

sound like a cool dude

How is this?

There's so many corner cases with this approach though, no? What if the closest AABB point isn't in view? What if none of the corners + random [small] offsets are in view but the middle is?

particles should go in the opposite direction, not up

Your original idea was correct. Manually scatter a bunch of coordinates around the ship and ray trace to each of them to see if the ship is in LoS.

Also include an angle check before every trace so you don't trace behind the turret.

Shit advice. What happens when front and back of the ship are obstructed? I.E. looking through a slit. Your algorithm won't fire.

Better althought I might reduce the density or alpha a little.

It's not a particularly complex method.

Overgrowth's visibility was just a bunch of traces randomly fired towards characters, they're cheap as shit.

That way the more obvious and visible a character is, the faster and more reliably the other person will see them.

You need to stop caring about code efficiency and start caring about coding efficiency.

>What if the closest AABB point isn't in view?
Check the second closest, and then repeat.

>What if none of the corners + random [small] offsets are in view but the middle is?
As stupid as it sounds, you can still check the center point.

I'm assuming we're talking about one of those space games where level design is basically "rocks ln space", a slit scenario didn't come to mind. But as I've said, adding the center point could help. And the target method can have the same issues in a slit, unless you have a lot of them, you can always find edge cases where there's no target in sight.

while(battle.IsFinished() == false)
{
foreach(Unit unit in battle.units)
{
unit.StartTurn();

while(unit.IsFinished() == false)
yield return null;
}

++turn;
}

>want to make a tutorial
>can't be through an engine since updates break things
>can't be enginedev or you'd never get to the game

framework it is

Are you one man army?

hot style. got any more?

I guess it's time to work on the actual terrain generation

screw that, just drop 5 layers of perlin noise over it

I don't envy you.

that looks like shit

UE4 or Unity for walking simulator? i hate brogrammign

Unity is the best engine for shovelware

ue4 has more out of the box stuff and blueprint is perfect for brainlets. it also has a nicer artists toolchain.

UE4's default character is good enough for a walking simulator, and it'll be pretty.

Almost finished with a system which will hopefully make less work of all the animations needed for this guy. There's probably a better way to do this but meh, it works

POST TWITTER

I have no more ideas. I have no more will to dev.

Maybe it's time to quit for good.

Thanks for the ride, aggy

see ya tomorrow

I made the webm play at 2x speed and it looks much better

looks great, what engine?

Honest thoughts on this? Should I tone down the sharpening?

I like it

I need to create a REST protocol on a server for loading and saving player inventories.
Do i just install nginx, php, mysql on a VPS and make a php script for the protocol?

What do you cool kids use nowdays?

twitter.com/apotheosisgame
Thanks mate
The sword slashes are pretty floaty right now I admit, I'll try it at higher speeds
Gamemaker 8

Looks plastic.

>8
an absolute madman, how do you handle all that animation? do you have some kind of general solution or are those case-by-case d3d_transforms?

>make photoreal house
>add a spooky thing
>sell for $5 on steam

good plan?

How is this?

Yes. Yes I am. I do everything in my game besides a bit of freelance code.

>not just buying a $25 spooky house asset and then selling it on Steam for $5 each

never going to make it

>letting the player client save their own inventory

hacked / 10

lots of arrays, easing scripts and headaches up the ass. If you'd take a peek at my code, you will shit your pants at how unconventional it probably is

Name one language better than Kotlin

English

>Australian wildlife simulator game
Jesus Christ, how horrifying

>I do everything in the game
Yeah sure its not like your game isn't asset store trash that looks like it came from Brazil because its so god awful, you don't make anything original Bokudev stop lying.

that's impressive

I'm just gonna let them rearrange the items, i'm not going to let them create new items.
Just tell me if nginx/mysql/php is a good choice for this. And json for the data.

Paying monthly for a VPS is circa-2010 industry standard.

Nowadays you rent resources on scaling instances through a service like AWS, so you only pay more when you have peak time and less (or even none) when you are 99% idle.

Hard to see from the distance in the webm but I think the last version was better in terms of how light the color is whereas this one is better in the number of particles.

If' it's VR compatible you can probably get $10

>I do everything in my game besides a bit of freelance code.
and game design, and character design, and VFX design. Those are done by Nintendo :)

So do you get a linux instance with aws or what? Can i apt-get install nginx/mysql/php on it?
How is it "scaled" if you're install stuff on a single machine?
Also inb4 ddos and i have to pay 10k for bandwidth.

I'm trying to learn optimization, and have been thinking of ways I can optimize my game.
I just wanted to share my thoughts so I cold get some clarity.
So far I'm looking at reducing the amount of objects/polygons in the world and designing features so they can work in one script instead of having a bunch of scripts tied to different objects to implement a feature.

>tfw been trying to fix a bug for 4 days
>losing time when demo day is soon

If you're using an engine then it should have profiling tools to tell you what is actually expensive.

Just wondering what the fuck do you guys understand by "open world"

It is my understanding that open world refers to games that are open from the beginning like skyrim and breath of the wild where you can go anywhere. Yet I see the word being used for games like dark souls or Xenoblade Chronicles. or Final fantasy 12.

Seems people equate big maps to open worlds. Whats the most accepted definition so far?

kk I changed it up thanks.