Mining coins in current year

Anyone doing it? Most people here seem to be just trading and shilling, no actual mining. Thinking of getting a few ASIC cards and just having them plugged into my laptop while I'm in school, I don't pay for power there. A chance to get some money back for my time at the same time as I invest in myself. Anyone have mining experience/tips I won't find after 10 secs of googling?
Inb4 "Hurr durr you will never keep up with the chinese supermines"

>Inb4 "Hurr durr you will never keep up with the chinese supermines"

you wont tho

the point is that I don't have to, can still make money. Ledditors seem to assume that if someone else makes more money doing domething, you can't make anything.

One of my friends coworkers is mining btc and ltc but they use a mining pool, he makes up to several thousand a day

I mine alt coins with Graphics cards. Mined ETH, ETC and now mining ZCL. It's profitable but has it's setbacks.

Yeah I would have to use a mining pool or I wouldn't get jack shit. If he makes several thousand a day he must have quite the setup.

Name some of these setbacks?

I mine, it is to compliment my portfolio, which is just a way of insuring myself against some catastrophic loss (the rig still has an intrinsic value).

Can be a real pain in the ass, but a 5k investment nets about 60 dollars a day - 10 dollars power.

Electricity costs shoot up. The rigs are relatively loud and produce massive amounts of heat so you need to have the space to store them and adequate energy supply (I mine out of my garage). They also require frequent monitoring in case something happens and they go down.

what do you mine and with what equipment?

i can all the get free electricity i want. i just assumed it was impossible to compete with chink farms even with free electricity

Can you send me the setup and what I need to buy? I want to mine shitcoins.

Pic 1/2

I use AMD RX 470s and RX480s. Great hash rate to power consumption ration and they are relatively cheap.

Pic 2/2

You might want to check out usb asic miners. Cheap and easy and you can build up an array slowly over time if you realise it's something you're really in to.

Aren't these things pretty much obsolete now? I had an Antminer S9 and had to get rid of it back in March because it just wasn't profitable enough anymore, not to mention it sounded like a freaking jet plane about to take off in my garage.

It's not with GPUs, I got similiar setup as I bought my rigs in november last year and I already got my money back twice, and rigs are still running and generating profit. What you're saying is true for ASICs, average person cannot compete with big miners.

What was the costs of setting it up, what You are mining and what are the profits in currencies after costs?

>2017
>still mining coins

you will never keep up with the chinese supermines

I didn't set it up all at once. I started accumulating hardware July last year. Initially mined ETH 1-2 coins a day when ETH was in the 20s. Coins mined started dropping rapidly when the prices shot up obviously. Switched to ETC in End of FEB for the whole month of Macrh and now I'm mining ZCLASSIC because of the ZEN hadfork that's coming up.

Since July I've mined 250 ETH and about 500 ETC

And what was the cost of rig overall, and how much it costs per month to sustain ?

I know nothing about mining but can someone tell me the costs and potential profits associated with a installing a 100kW commercial solar system (costs about $130-$200k in my aus) on top of a warehouse and setting up a mining farm? Australia has some of the consistently sunny places on the planet

First question is kind of though to answer since I haven't really kept track. A ballpark figure would probably be 6-7k.
It drains 3.6 kW on average which I think is around 200 a month.