This is the user who made a thread a few days ago about my performance review today and was told to report back with...

This is the user who made a thread a few days ago about my performance review today and was told to report back with another thread. Wasn't fired.
Pissed off.

>Well user, maybe if you work harder for the next four months or so we can talk about you moving out of your internship position
I'VE BEEN AN INTERN HERE SINCE JANUARY.

>It's just that you haven't done enough work yet. Let's talk again after a few months and see how you're doing then.
I agree. I am full ready to give it my all and take on lots of more work. May I have some work please?
>I don't know, just ask around other people I guess
I have asked nearly everyone in this office for work every single day, exactly as you instructed. I know I could handle doing some work.

I MEAN IT'S BEEN 5 MONTHS LET ME FUCKING HELP YOU SIR!

>Oh by the way, the whole office is flying to [super fun vacation spot] next week. I'm sorry but you can't go this year. That's mostly my fault but I'll try to register you in next year. No, there won't anyone here so you won't be able to do any work then either sorry.
I've been looking forward to this trip for 3 months because everyone else constantly talks about how fun it is. I am so sad by this.

SO LET ME GET THIS FUCKING STRAIGHT. I GET FIRED IF I DON'T DO MORE WORK, BUT THERE IS STILL NO WORK TO BE DONE.

Also, we discussed what my salary structure will be for the next few years if I stay here. It's fucking shit. I thought coming in "wow this starting salary is great. This is awesome!" Now I know the truth is that if I work really hard I'll move from 75k starting to a whole 90k over like 8 years here.

FUCK THIS WAGEKEKING SHIT.

I'M GOING TO GET MY FINANCIAL CERTIFICATIONS (to get a better job in the future) AND GET THE FUCK OUT.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/n2qYL_oxAlc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

THIS FUCKING CLOSE TO LOSING MY SHIT IN THIS OFFICE.

Welcome to the wagecuck life

I genuinely thought "yeah this is great, I barely do anything, get paid great, and this is easy. WOW."

Fuck this shit, the pay raises are gonna be shit (that's why the starting salary seemed high to me) and I'll be stuck with no work to do and then blamed for not doing any work. FUCK THIS LIVING HELL.

THIS CLOSE

>I GET FIRED IF I DON'T DO MORE WORK, BUT THERE IS STILL NO WORK TO BE DONE.
you should thank the heavens you're not in IT

>don't do anything & everything works
"Why do we pay you?"

>do everything & everything works
"Why do we pay you?"

>don't do anything & something breaks
"Why do we pay you? You sit around here all day and do nothing, no wonder everything is a mess!"

>do everything & something breaks
"Why do we pay you? You're running around like a hamster in a wheel but everything is still broken!"

the next time someone says "just use Python user, C++ is so old fashioned!" i am going to shove an actual real python down their pants and shit on my bosses desk, i swear to god

Your attitude is probably why they are not being more pro active in onboarding you as a FTE. You sound like an asshole.

Wait interns don't get paid. Hmm uh oh I'll talk to payroll about that.
>we fixed the glitch

Every single day it's "Hi. I have some time today so if you have any project I can help with, please let me know." "Ok user, thank you. I'll keep that in mind and let you know if anything comes up." "Ok thanks."

EVERY FUCKING DAY!!
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

>user you aren't logging enough hours.
THEN GIVE ME SOMETHING TO DO! I SIT HERE 9.5 HOURS A DAY REVIEWING THE SAME GODDAMN SHIT AND STUDYING.
GIVE ME SOME WORK TO DO.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh

Ironically, since I'm an intern, I charge out the ass for overtime to the company.

TO everyone in this thread: I am an intern working 40 hour weeks.

As soon as I switch to salary though, no more overtime. So my pay will actually go down.

I'm arguing to bring my pay DOWN of all things. WHAT THE FUCK.

And the salary increases are shit. I thought they'd be great. NO

BEING AN INTERN WITH OVERTIME GETS ME THE SAME SALARY AS SOMEONE WITH LIKE 7 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE.
FUCK ME

Kek the IT guy in our office is cool.

I fucking wish I had a friend or someone I could talk to at work. This is so lonely it hurts.

And that thing about going on the vacation with the office...I was looking forward to that for months. Really. All the other people told me I'd probably get to go too and that it was so much fun. I'm really, sincerely, sad that I don't get to go on that.

Your solution:

youtu.be/n2qYL_oxAlc

Future you here, OP.
> be me 3 years ago
> underpaid
> underappreciated
> condescending bosses
> left for better job when they needed me most
> "omg please don't go, we'll double your salary and make you an FTE"
> fuck you.
> fastforward 3 years
> 3 remote jobs
> still work under 40 hours/wk
> make 200k annually
> buy crypto with the extra income
> overpaid, overappreciated

It gets better.

Ah, so I need to get my financial certifications and then go negotiate for a better salary, right?

That's it, yes?

Kill me now.

*snuggles you like snake*
im not bulgarian

OP relax. What did you expect corporate jobs to be like? Retail? Getting a big raise every 6 months? That is not how it works.
First of all you get a raise each year judging by your performance and the company's as well.
If the company did not make it good this year, no one but the bootlickers get a raise.
If you haven't shown proactiveness in a year, finding solutions, macros anything to make people's lives easier, you are 50% likely to not get a raise (again depends on the corporate company)
This is wagecucking user.
Suck it up, fuck the parties and the ratchets you're not going to be living that dream if you're not living it right now.
You do not sound like you have much going for this company, luckily for you, the salary is good, it will get better perhaps elsewhere.

Take 2 years of your time to gather experience, do your cert or whatever that is and look elsewhere as I see no optimism in your posts.

Btw thanks for the update.
Cheer up man some people don't even have a roof ontop of their heads

To be honest I just wish I had enough money that I could put it away and then get something easy like a retail job and just live on that without ever saving anything. Or even better make enough to put it away and stop working altogether.

>You get a raise each year judging by your performance and the company's as well.
I think I saw that in the salary guide I read for my company today but didn't know this. Is it that common? Like how did you know?

I have in fact made a few macros to make things more effective and which people are using, so I'm glad about that at least. All I really have to do is log hours worked for various companies since this is consulting and those companies will be billed according to the hours I log.

I'm married, but still I wish just once in a while I could have something to get to know my coworkers. Nobody talks here it all.

Thanks though. I will take a few years and just get the certs that I can. This is a perfect environment for that and only that, since nobody talks, there is no work for me to do, etc., so I just try to get those certs I guess. Thanks.

So you're getting paid 75K/year to do fuckall? Or is that when you get promoted from an intern?

OP, if you are earning 75K/yr right now doing nothing, save everything and use your free time to help forge a career path. Take industry certifications, learn stuff online, read books, go to industry events, and start looking at offers elsewhere.

>So you're getting paid 75k/year to do fuckall?
That is correct. Well now he says I need to do more but there isn't more. Fuck. I need to do more though.

I have been saving as much as I can and trying to use all my free time to get the certifications for a nice career. Yes, I'm trying to do exactly that. I just need to find more work here though too or this ride won't last long.

I think your gona get fired. If you were on for a year, and they simply "forgot" to sign you up then maybe. What about that other intern you were working with is he signed on?

A few things. You are a moron. Lets get that out of the way. You are a intern at a large scale company who is getting lost in the flow of things because no body is directly in charge of you or training you. You are simply a paper weight. You keep asking people if you can help, but wtf can you do exactly? If a paper weight thats been gathering dust in the corner playing on his phone for the better part of the day for most of the year suddenly starts moving asking me useless questions "Such as do you need help" How the fuck can i know what you can help me with you, i dont know your dusty ass. You need( needed past tense, because its already to late for you) to participate in projects more. Your equal is ahead of you because he participated and he got involved. Maybe instead of asking if they needed any help with the project, they asked about the scope of the project. Moron:Do you need help? A: No. Smart: What are you working on A. We are working on XYZ for 1. Smart: Oh XYZ?? I am familiar with small sub part of XYZ if you want I can finish small sub part of XYZ so you can focus on more importants parts of XYZ.

Ever read how to win friends and influence people? You might need to, you autist. 3/4 of the work in a office is politics the 1/4 work is finding someone else to do it for you.

Oh you literally answered every question wrong in that interview, you basically stated you were being useless as they thought. Your not attaching yourself to any peer group and not able to find any work. But great point on selling yourself and bringing up your strengths in the matter.

I've been here since January and they didn't exactly "forget" to sign me up for that trip so much as he said "it's really for people who have been here a little longer" and then explained that maybe I could next year.

The other intern I mentioned was still a student (unlike me) so he actually got an offer and now gets to leave for a month to finish his schooling and come back as full time, ahead of me, and get started.

I just have to "prove myself" with this hours thing first.

Literally what can I do though? I have been nothing but eager to learn more and get involved. I do what I'm asked and when I'm asked to make things more efficient I do.

Ah. Ok I see your point there on the "Smart" thing. I actually will try that. Thank you.

I'm in the middle of that book.

The other intern doesn't get to go either only because he's not set to work during that time cause he gets like a month off to graduate school before coming back.

You know, while I was reading , I was thinking you'd respond by sperging out. So I'm kind of impressed/disappointed in you user

They're looking for you to "show initiative" and do some shit you think theyre gonna use, then present to them.

If you really want to wagecuck there, do that. If not, coast for the next half a year and get out.

I kind of do want to wagecuck here only because it's a great opportunity to get my certifications relatively stress-free since there is so little work, but now I guess I better make work.

But yeah, I'll try it. I have made things before that they use. The only thing they want is specifically more hours that they can bill to a client. Which also means that instead of finishing everything they give me in 20 minutes flat and handing it back I'd be better off taking my time, checking my work, and claiming 3 hours or something.

There's gotta be a way to get in on some new material though cause I'm not bad at what they give me.
It's hard to "make something useful" when from my perspective all they seem to do is financial reporting, over and over each quarter, and run financial projections based on different asset scenarios with a proprietary program. You put in the input and the software kind of does anything.

I genuinely wish I knew what else these people do or if that's it because that's all they seem willing to show me or explain. I'll try asking less of "What can I help with?" and more of "What are you working on?" though like that guy said.

grow up, dude

Welcome to wagecuckery user. All my friends left or were laid off. Been through about 8 or 9 rounds of this shit. Waiting for the Axe to fall on me. Looking for an out now with a start-up or small company... Somewhere with some excitement and energy...and more importantly, common sense.

..if its any comfort, you are with friends here.

This

My wife and I have moved so I'm 2 minutes away from this company and everything.
Thanks for that.

Fuck em. You're better off staying hourly anyway. Work your time, track your overtime, get your certs and get a better gig.

Use the time everyone else will be on work Vaca as job search/networking time.

Your boss sucks at his job and their salary structure is designed for you to put in like 2 years then fuck off to somewhere else. They're not looking to keep you long term anyway, so fuck em. You get yours and stick it up theirs.

No company deserves loyalty in this day and age.

Don't let other posters bum you out with the "you're going to get fired"
Up your game and gain respect.
Concerning the salary, that is how it works EVERYWHERE

Hang in there. Positive attitudes are like currency invested in your reputation. Once the reputation is matured, you can 'purchase' a better situation for yourself, or others will offer it to you freely.

That's nice. You didn't buy the place did you?

In terms of usefulness etc, others have pointed out you need to highlight/make known your abilities before others will hand you work. Along what you can do only helps if your skills are already known in the office.

Alternatively, doing what you're doing won't get your fired for at least another few months, so you could just do that and look for greener fields to impress.

At the end of the day, the vast majority of employees are excruciatingly inefficient and slow, so you shouldn't feel like getting your work done faster will help anyone unless you're running up against a deadline.

Book more hours for the work you're given, spend your time doing things that will help you beyond the confines of your current situation, and generally do just enough to get by where you ate, because your boss already dislikes you and is probably a piece of shit (all consultants are).

Seriously though, the easiest way to become the golden boy is to provide decent finished products and book tons of hours (even if your product didn't rewrote tons of hours to produce). Booking tons of hours is simply a matter of lying in most cases since nobody is ever as busy as they claim to be unless they're working for themselves.

>t. Audit wagecuck working at an f500 who is forced to report hours despite being in house.

>Work your time, track your overtime, get your certs and get a better gig.
Will do.

That's good to know it's everywhere then I guess.

No just renting, yeah.
I'll try to make my skills better known then I guess.
>All consultants are shit
It's so true oh my god. I mean they're charging these companies for almost nothing. Feels like they're as bad as accountants and lawyers who charge double price for doing next to nothing.

I will keep your advice close.

Time to stop browsing Veeky Forums it seems.

The worst part of my job is micro-managing everyone. Just go start a project of your own. I'm not sure what you do so I can't give much advise.

A whiny, try-hard bitch running around my office asking for shit to do every day would get old real fucking quick.

I mean the clients are companies and the job is just crunching numbers for them. I wish it were possible to start my own project but it isn't here. I know it's annoying but that's what they keep telling me to do and there doesn't seem to be any other option.

>STUDYING.
that's the keyword faggot

just study to get new certifications and gtfo on their own payroll

also thank you for actually posting a followup dude.

Ok. Just gotta get some more hours logged doing "work" first so they don't fire me. I study almost all day now but it has new purpose now knowing that I want to get out of here.

Just went into another coworkers office, since he's literally the only coworker here right now, and said

"Hey.. I was just wondering if you had a project I might be able to help you with. I've been having some difficulty getting in on some projects lately and I need to start making more client-billable hours. If you don't mind me asking, what you're working on?"

"Well I'm pretty swamped right now sorry but if something comes up that you can do, I'll let you know. I'll make sure to keep that in the back of my head."

"I see. Ok thank you."

I leave and he gets up and shuts the door which was originally open.

What am I doing wrong? He's the only one here and the office has been open for an hour already. This feels literally impossible.

I know I'm basically just bugging people for work but that's exactly what my boss told me to do. And when I told him how it is, he said to just keep asking and ask more people.

its because you dont know shit, and no one wants to take the time to teach you what the fuck you are doing.

Well.. I've been studying. I get that and I know what you're saying is true, but the stuff these people know is specific to the company's proprietary software, which I have used quite a few times before and read the user manual for but is still pretty extremely complicated.

Plus this job had absolutely no training, at all, despite being an internship out of college. I was simply given a cubicle on day 1 and told to start asking people how I can help.

I thought you were using all your free time to shitpost on Veeky Forums and play with crypto. Wasn't that why you were worried about being fired?

it will only get better if you can find someone who will use you on their projects.

once word gets out that you are decent help, then you will have a ton of billable hours.

convince someone there you are worth the risk, that you dont need handholding, and you will be a help

Maybe you're being a little too pushy. Take some initiative and start something without being told or asked.

The problem is that I need a specific company to bill it too. The boss, because he's literally never here (he's the boss of offices in multiple cities), sees nothing but the time sheet of how many companies I've helped and for how long at the end of the month. My job, essentially, is to fill up that sheet.

If I just make up something for a company and bill them for it, that won't work. I need to work on that company's project, whatever it is.
I wish I could just take initiative and work on my own though. The problem is I have to bill clients so that won't necessarily work, see?

I mean everyone gives me like a little task once a week or so, but it takes maybe 20-30 minutes.

I guess next time I get one I'll stretch it out and ask "what's the next step? How can I help with X? What else can I contribute? Can I do X as well?" etc. and see if that works. Thanks.
Well yeah, that was why. But also studying. It turns out that the boss doesn't know or care if I browse Veeky Forums all day and day-trade crypto at work so long as I can bill clients for my time. It just comes down to logging hours I guess. That's it.

Look in the project emails for unanswered client queries, find something basic you can handle, tell your boss/co worker your dealing with it and then do it.

Review someone else's work and find their mistakes :^)

There is no project emails except what is sent directly to me by coworkers though, which is just "do this" "do that" once in a while.
It's an interesting idea though.

OP let me give you some advice. I can tell you are very immature from the way you are posting and acting.

People may not want to pull you in to work on stuff because it's easier for them to just do it than involve some whiny little kid.

Have you fucked things up in the past? Do you complicate things or needlessly call attention to yourself?

There's something else going on here.

Yeah he's wrong. Don't do work you can't bill for, that won't be appreciated.

Just return whatever work you are given with quality, bill 2x-3x the time outlay it took to accomplish, and let your bosses take in the dosh for the minimal work you do.

Seriously, in consulting, they inevitably expect you to lie about your hours because if you don't, they aren't making money off you. That's probably why your boss is pissed; your billable hours suck because you're too efficient and nobody is comfortable telling you to lie about time spent. It's more or less an unspoken rule that you lie on billables, but nobody wants to say so because they don't want it to seem like they're the ones not pulling their weight and being honest about how shit really works.

Welcome to the world of b2b sales/services.

>Have you fucked up things in the past?
No, but I've had to ask a lot of questions in the past about something despite genuinely trying my best to understand, but considering they gave me no training on their proprietary software at all, I don't think asking a few questions was such a bad thing. And I would never call attention to myself. That's mostly why I'm in this situation. I try not to needlessly complicate things but this stuff is frankly complicated to me and I'm do the best I can when I'm given something.

This just happened:

I just sent a message saying, more bluntly now thanks to this thread "If you don't mind me asking, what project are you working on? I have some time and I'm looking to contribute." to a coworker.

She responded "sorry I don't have anything to give to you at the moment"

So I said "I see. Well if anything comes up that I could review or that I can help make more efficient, please let me know. Thanks."

And she finished with "sure thanks for checking"

Did I do something wrong here?

Billing 2x-3x the time isn't something I did previously, but the more I realize nobody is watching over me, the more reasonable it seems. Right now all my hours were "unbillable" and that was causing the problem.

Anyway, I'm stuck doing this: But when they finally do give me something, now I know how to get the most out of it.

welcome to the modern work age, user

So you spend every day bitching for more work like a petulant child? Here's the thing user, wageslaves for the most part are bored at least half the time. Managers and up are the opposite, completely swamped all the time. And guess what neither group wants the faggot new guy pestering them. They all know you are bored and don't have shit to do. Learn to shut the fuck up and look busy

That's what I HAVE been doing 24/7.

That won't work anymore. If you read the thread, I explained I have to log my hours based on who I was working for so the company I worked for gets billed.
The problem isn't that I don't look busy. I do. It's that I have to log my hours per month not just as "hours worked" but as "here's the project I was working on so bill that company for it."

I remember you user.

Sounds like a good result to me, even though not what you wanted.
> you get to keep your job
> you know where you stand (they are keeping you around in precarious conditions because it's probably cheaper than hiring someone full time for whom they don't have enough work)
> You can start planning your future.

Also, don't pay too much attention to what they tell you moneywise. If you're good and make yourself important for the company, you can renegociate. If you're not being appreciated enough, you can answer positively to job offers that will come (and they will if you're any good).

Pass your certification and start looking for a real job !

Well I get to keep my job for the next 3-4 months, maybe, assuming I start picking up more work.
If I don't I'll be out, so it feels like a performance improvement plan without ever really calling it that.
Ironically it is cheaper for them to switch me to full time since I charge so much in overtime but yeah.
I will be planning my future but now I don't have as much time as work to do it because I have to start filling up my time here with actual work for the company. Gonna try and do that though.

It's not cheaper if they have to fire the new guy (depending on the laws in your country, firing someone with an actual contract can be costly).
Anyway, know you have a deadline, set your priorities straight and focus most of your energy towards the certifications. As soon as you have what you need, apply for jobs and quit. It's a two way street, they use you, use them.

I am surprised they pay overtime to someone complaining about not having enough work though. Your management is really sub-par

Certifications take like 5-8 years.
There's essentially 2 but I'll get the first within 3 years I hope.

I self-log how many hours I spend doing everything. So if I say I was at work for 9.5 hours a day, and I do, then they pay me. Nobody checks cause I'm alone in a corner with no real human interaction all day.

Trying to change this...

You guys aren't consultants. You don't understand how his work flow operates, stop telling him to "just go start working on something on his own".

My fucking god that's long... I would start looking for something else right now. Even you don't have the certifications yet, I am assuming you can pick that up in another company. Quitting a 75K/year position because you don't have enough work (even though it's mostly because you see no future there) shows something about your character.

Also, about the internship thing, is this even legal to keep someone that long as an intern ? I know in my country your contract would be automatically re-qualified because you're basically considered as an employee

Anyway I finally bugged enough people today that they told me
>Wait until Monday and we'll have an update you can fix
This takes about 20 minutes.
And
>We're gonna start a research project for a firm next week you can get involved involved in. Here's the one we did last year so you can read over that and get some idea of what we might try and do.
Sounds promising. This was after asking 5 people and getting redirected a bunch of times til they found something for me but maybe I could try this.

Yes you can get the certifications anywhere, but my reason for getting them with this company is that, in addition to being fairly lenient on how fast I get them, since the company pays for all study material and everything and pays for my study hours, I think not being monitored at all will allow me to study more. My worry is that if I go to another company where people actually give me work I won't be able to study as much.

I'm in the US. But I don't know, my internship never had an end date and I wasn't a student when it started, and they pay for health, dental, 401k, etc., so it was ambiguous from the start.

Basically I do a few years here if I'm not fired, get my certifications, and then I have proof that I can do that kind of work regardless of references (since these certifications are really good).

It's just ASA and FSA certifications from the Soa.org website but I was thinking about going for a CFA in the meantime because if I get a CFA I can skip a small step in the ASA certification process and it'd be nice to do. The FSA and ASA will encompass a lot of what I'd learn with a CFA anwyay.

Just use this job for a year and then start looking for a new one.

so
do you actually use C++:?
you mean you don't follow the trend of the week in javascript to make shitty frontend 30s-load-time web pages?

banter aside, that is literally where the money is these days in dev