What's up with medieval art? Why's it so crappy looking?

What's up with medieval art? Why's it so crappy looking?

Art wasn't a medium of entertainment/outlet of human expression at that time. Everyday life revolved around religion, and artworks were basically only meant to sate the basic need of depictions of the bible and whatnot for the public, especially illiterate serfs & peasantry.

The Italian Renaissance is the de facto next step of the evolution of art. Many artists who focused on proportions, the Fibonacci Sequence, and perspective were surrounded by the rebirth ("Renaissance") of antiquity: the rediscovered works of ancient Greeks, and were influenced by the then-new concepts of geometry.

IT I didn't even lurk for a day and this is my first post.

There were no art schools, just monks going at it, and the result is pretty cool imo, they created unique styles.

Ikons aren't meant to be realistic, but abstract as to not take away worship from God, but act as channels of veneration of the Saints, Theotokos, and worship of Christ.

good job bucko

That's renaissance art though
Here's medieval "art"

>Medieval art
>Crappy

>Implying this is shit

I like to think the words are some kind of retarded captions with the punchline at the bottom

Same

>try to make point that medieval art is bad
>only post doodles from manuscripts

>Implying the doodles are bad

if the Romans were the original meme empire, then the medieval monks were the new, and perhaps a bit shittier version of it

much like modern 4chin

i'm not funny at all but something along the lines of
>die, curr!
>stop pls

Hahahaha! Oh shit!
That babys all like "oh shit waddup with this shit"
And the guy on the far left is all like, "I dunno baby, just go with the flow"

Hahahaha shit, these mediaeval niggas got me gassed

>You are being a real headache, woman!

>I think I got the point already, geez.

>You know how to hit with those piercing questions, do you?

That niggas all like
"Deborah I said nail my hand not my head, why have you forsaken me"

That's why I don't trust bitches

Ackchyually, that's international Gothic which is like a transition between medieval and Renaissance art. OP's is a Russian icon contemporary with the Renaissance, but not influenced by it.

Here's some medieval art.

That cant be medieval because they have cannons and hand cannons.

There are examples of medieval art, especially in the Byzantine empire, that continued the classical greek tradition of realistic art. see pic.
So, while people were capable of much more technical art, this and

Damn, this got even some nice shading and all.

Those clothes are pretty finely drawn.