Should I take more money or should I be loyal?

Should I take more money or should I be loyal?

I currently work as a BI analyst in the Midwest making $47500/year. I like my job, but two weeks ago a recruiter reached out to me about a job opportunity. I was blowing this guy off until he asked how much I wanted to make and I said 65k thinking he would leave me alone. He said he could do that so I ended up going through the interview process semi-seriously and thought nothing of it. Flash forward to today as I am sitting in my car with the job offer for 65k with a 7k bonus. Should I take this job Veeky Forums? I just got promoted at my last place and I don't want to hurt anyone's feeling's. They are my first job outside of college and I have friends here. Please let me know what you would do. I am autistic at this stuff.

Take the money every single time.

who gives a fuck about those people wtf, take the raise

The thought of walking into my bosses office and telling him in quitting fucking blows. How would you even go about doing that shit?

you don't say that you retard. you say you another opportunity has come up and you plan to take it. you'd like to come up with a transition plan to ensure there is no issues on their side. they will understand, it happens every day. if you're decent, they might even offer you more money to stay.

take the stacks faggot

I just don't want them to think I'm ungrateful. My dad has worked for the same company for 25 years. The way I'm doing this is leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

Holy shit I never thought you could develop stockholm syndrome to the Jew.

You're a good kid, but it sounds like you should toughen up and learn to act for you own interest.

Tell them you got a better offer and if they don't beat it you get the fuck out of there and go to the other job.

You gave them 40+ hours of service, 48 weeks a year for the past however many years. They got what they wanted out of you. Acting petty because you got a better offer isn't outside the realm of possibility, but that's on them and not a reflection on you.

You don't owe them anything; you traded your time and energy for money. The transaction only persists because they get more out of you than they pay you. So don't feel like you owe anyone anything.

you have to look out for #1, because no one else is going to. you can do it gracefully without hurting anyones feelings.

If you already have job B in place 100%, sit down with your boss/manager and let them know you have been approached with an offer, they are giving X salary Y signing bonus. Let your boss know you received the offer but havent accepted yet, and wanted to let him know. Ask if current company would have a counter offer, either.cpunter offer or no dont "quit on the spot" if they dont give a counter offer then, just that youre still considering. 2-3 days later, see of counter offer is improved. If not, decide new company, let boss know, 2 week notice letter to HR, etc.

Godspeed

I really don't think they will match. I just got a promotion with a $2500 raise from 45000. I asked for a measly 50k and they said they wouldn't be able to give me a vertical raise and that they only really do horizontal raises.

Not even a question. Take the highest paying job.

Quitting sucks, I've been there. But it's part of life and you shouldn't worry about hurting feelings. You might be surprised at how non personal they take it. Just be respectful, give a two week notice, and say you are grateful for the opportunity. And then go through with leaving. This is normal

What the fuck is a "vertical" vs "horizontal" raise?

I mean yeah, 96% chance they won't, but at least he extended the offer to the company "hey, i am being offered higher pay somewhere else, so i am obviously being underpaid/utilized here". Lets the company say "no", so the blame goes on them ("hey, i gave you the chance to keep me!") and that you had actually considered staying, instead of running out the door to.the guys that pay 0.01 more per hour.

Giving 2-3 days for them to counter offer fives them time to possibly reflect and go "shit... we really need to keep this guy"

See if your current job will match it if not leave

You shouldn't jump jobs you like for more money, but for when the learning and experience opportunities start to dry up.

Dude, maybe if it were like 2k, but this is a 20k/year jump +7k. It is like a no brainer.

That's the other problem. The average tenure of the team I got promoted to is like 9 years. I got hired specifically out of college for my skillset. There are 6 people including me, one of them is my boss, 2 of them are 'senior' members and the other two are just normal analyst like myself. The normal analyst have been there for like 4-6 years a piece. Looking at my team, I feel I will never get promoted.

Take into consideration more than just the money.

-good work environment?
-solid coworkers?
-engaging work?
-reasonable goals?
-upward career path?
-convinent location?

Just because they offer more mkney doesn't mean it's the better job if that the only thing going for it. But if they do offer a better deal go for it.

As for leaving your job, you sound like your heart is in the right place.Just be respectful, give advance notice and get all your work in order for a smooth transition. Tha will speak volumes about your character and put you in a good position for a letter of recommendation and a path to come back to your old position if this go south at the new place.

Aside from that don't worry about it too much, people chsnge careers all the time, no one really has that one job for 40+ years any nore like they used to do back in the day. Above all just be respectful as your push forward through life.

Means to fight of beta bitches so Lumbergh can bring home an extra 0.001% because fuck you.

what's up my man, I've read through this thread and I know what you're going through. I was in my first job almost 3 years and really loved it, they gave me raises constantly, treated me well you name it. So it was real tough to walk into my director and manager's office and tell them that I was moving on. And yeah those 2 weeks were fucking AWKWARD and a real pain. But you just have to grow a pair and do it. That's the business world. And yeah it sucks that those people you work with day to day kind of get left behind or however you want to think about it. But turning down a raise that big really makes no sense, unless you plan to hit that same level of pay within a year or so at your current job.

Leave, they're your employer not your gf. You won't see that loyalty when they decide they don't need you anymore.

That company youre at currently would have no problem cutting you if a cheaper and better alternative came through the door. There's no friends in business. Look out for yourself first and foremost.

>Post this on Veeky Forums

The fuck you think we were going to suggest

You're a BI analyst making 65k?

You fine fucked up. I'm also a BI nerd. Came in at 85k + equity. In a year I was running the analytics platform making six figures. VC firm just acquired us and cashed out my options. I'm literally retiring at the end of the month.

Next time go on Payscale and figure out what you're worth instead of fucking all of us.

would a woman be loyal if she met a guy who makes 10x as much as you?

You're not married to your job. In nearly every case you should take the best offer. That's obviously the other job in your scenario.

Where do you live man? I live in one of the cheapest cities in the US. $47500 is amazing. 65 k would put me as one of the higher earners for my age bracket.

I've been told by people who do hiring that they've had to just accept that millennials are going to jump around every 2 years.

This. They would fire you in a second if they thought they could get someone that does your job just as well and is cheaper than you or someone that does it even better.

>25 yr old
>53k aud, 1 1/2 years at job
>easy job
>awesome co-workers
>reasonably secure

What do? I know I could go get 20k+ elswhere but it's rare to find such a sweet job.

Listen to me, user. It's clear that you have good intentions and is empathetic, however, nothing good will come out of your attitude.

You should take what's good for you and honestly the people who like you should also encourage you to grab opportunities that are better for your future, if they don't, they aren't worthy of your worry, as they don't care about in the first place.

Trust me when I say that you will hurt yourself EVERY TIME you put others above you, every time.

If you truly don't hate waking up and going to your job, then thats a job worth staying at... even if you're not making as much.

also, never trust random recruiters that contact you, they are only out for themselves

Funny, this literally just happened to me.

I was making $53k and quite happy at my small company. Headhunter came along and poached me, two weeks later I had an offer for $90k at a large company.

I intended to take the offer. I talked to my boss, and he turned around and matched that, plus 20%, as well as a contract that guarantees my pay for 12 months.

My advice: plan to take the job. Tell your boss. Be professional, and explain that it's a good opportunity, and that you have to take it. See if your current job plays ball.

If it was just a moderate raise (like a few thousand dollars a year), I'd probably tell you to just stay put.

But you're talking about a literal 50% increase in salary if you include the bonus. $24,500 more per year. You can't justify passing that up because you like your current co-workers.

never be grateful for being a wageslave when you don't even make as much as the median household income in this country. Be a fucking hustler and follow the money. if your "friends" at this company are really friends, then they will still be there for you when you leave.

Kids these days. He half asses an interview and gets offered the job but wants to pussyfoot around because of "feelings" meanwhile I bust my ass for an interview and get denied for "reasons" but then I check a month or two later and they're still hiring for said position. What a world

If your current company is paying you x$, it means they're getting x+y$ worth of labor from you. They did you a service by giving you a job, you paid them back by generating value beyond your compensation. You paid your dues. Take the new job, enjoy the money.

The amount of money is irrelevant OP. Do you feel relaxed and comfortable working in your current job environment OP? If so, stay there. More money will come on its own.

Never take a job through a recruiter. If the other company cant find new employees without using a recruiter, that says a lot about what type of people are running it, and also about what type of the environment it is there.

Stat where you are OP if it is a good environment. You will be able to sleep at night. Dont let the retards in this thread who have chronic FOMO sway you into feeling like youre missing out on something.

good goyim

I know where you are coming from but $47k is fast food tier. $65k will make all the difference in the world. Once you get up to $90k working conditions become truly horrendous.