Discuss: morality in a tolkeinite theology

Discuss: morality in a tolkeinite theology.

Btw..

.Re: Anyone notice the similarity of mordors shape to turkey? and minas tirith to constantinople on the bosporus? and gondor with its caretaker in the south being split from arnor in the north where are aragorn the true king lies? alternative history where catholics save constantinople and the orthodox church from the savage turks or mordor?

- I didn't get to make my 300th comment address so here it is; thank you guys for a wonderful experience, i really didn't expect the thread to blow up into such a wonderful communal experience where we could discover so much about eachother and make so many great conversations about literature, history and the human race. Its been an honour to be your OP and i hope i can be at some further point. I also hope we will keep creating tolkeinite historical threads.

so glad we made this happen guys; thanks alot.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagor_Dagorath
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucatastrophe
bookdepository.com/Tolkien-and-the-C.-S.-Lewis-Colin-Duriez/9781587680267?redirected=true&utm_medium=Google&utm_campaign=Base3&utm_source=AU&utm_content=Tolkien-and-the-C.-S.-Lewis&selectCurrency=AUD&w=AF45AU96916BLDA8ZTPH&pdg=kwd-104399950179:cmp-680104063:adg-32696820702:crv-151943499815:pid-9781587680267&gclid=CKLhx4bX6tACFVEIvAodICsB7Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

just FYI.

/tv/ has the best Tolkien threads on this website, almost daily. Veeky Forums culture strangely enough includes Tolkien and all the nerds who cannot get enough of his lore.

You will always almost get a Tolkien thread on Veeky Forums, it's one of the only reasons I still stay here.

There's been two tolkien threads here this week and they've honestly been the best threads I've seen on this board in a while.

what about Veeky Forums? does it have more than lit?

Lit hates tolkien. Lit hates anything and everything.

tis a shame because i don't think tolkien is necessariy best represented by the likes of /tv/

OP here, what i think would be a really good question, is something concerning the theology of the lotr and maybe even how it relates to real life. i just don't know how i would formulate such a question.

Didn't Tolkien specifically said that he doesn't do allegories? Give it a rest already, it's just a fairytale, it's not hidden historical commentary.

>i don't think tolkien is necessariy best represented by the likes of /tv/

The amount of arguments I have had discussing the intricacies of Tolkien lore there suggests otherwise.

Almost always will I have to have my books out when I argue with those nerds.

Do you mean Veeky Forums? I don't remember too many Tolkien threads on /tv/, but then, I don't go there much.

I mean, tolkien was obviously a very religious person. How can the not be permeated in his work.

RE means regarding. im actually just referencing another thread. I also think you're being abit limited. Just because tolkien doesn't use allegory, does it really mean we cannot find analogies which are interesting or enlightening? think about it.

Pretty much. Tolkien threads are pretty much the only decent ones on /tv/

what's tg? i dont see it.

If it's Catholic, why Ragnarok? There are theological aspects inside of his work, and he was a theological man.

That's it.

well im just saying, do you really want it represented by /tv/ ? Veeky Forums is more accurate.

ragnarok?

its not straigh up just catholic. it's interesting that it has its own creation myths and Gods. I wonder if that entails morality in an abrahamic monotheistic sense.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagor_Dagorath

It's a piece of norse work. The only appearance of orcs before tolkien, was a norse one. I mean, if you want to use allegory, it's allegory for norse mythology and theology. Catholicism has almost nothing to do with anything in this story. I mean his works with Oxford dealt with germanic words. One of his first works was a translation of Beowulf which was never published.

No, /tv/ actually does have regular tolkien threads.

Traditional Games

>was never published.
During his lifetime*

>One of his first works was a translation of Beowulf which was never published.

According to Humphrey Carpenter, Tolkien had an ingenious means of beginning his series of lectures on Beowulf:

>He would come silently into the room, fix the audience with his gaze, and suddenly begin to declaim in a resounding voice the opening lines of the poem in the original Anglo-Saxon, commencing with a great cry of Hwæt! (The first word of this and several other Old English poems), which some undergraduates took to be "Quiet!" It was not so much a recitation as a dramatic performance, an impersonation of an Anglo-Saxon bard in a mead hall, and it impressed generations of students because it brought home to them that Beowulf was not just a set text to be read for the purposes of examination, but a powerful piece of dramatic poetry.[78]

Decades later, W.H. Auden wrote to his former professor,

>I don't think that I have ever told you what an unforgettable experience it was for me as an undergraduate, hearing you recite Beowulf. The voice was the voice of Gandalf.

>using allegory for a Tolkien work

stopped reading lol

It's not allegory when it's represented shamelessly. Allegory is hidden symbolism the author uses, how can it not be allegory when it's literally expressed to be so from the author?

i'd like to be an oxford professor.

"I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done so since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence. I much prefer history – true or feigned– with its varied applicability to the thought and experience of readers. I think that many confuse applicability with allegory, but the one resides in the freedom of the reader, and the other in the purposed domination of the author.”

>he post it.
Do you understand Tolkien? Do you understand what allegory even means? It's not allegory, when it's explicit. You moron.

xD

You use that argument when you are arguing against the catholic links in his works, not the things which he is basing his story on.

Senpai.

“I perceived or thought of the Light of God and in it suspended one small mote (or millions of motes to only one of which was my small mind directed), glittering white because of the individual ray from the Light which both held and lit it...And the ray was the Guardian Angel of the mote: not a thing interposed between God and the creature, but God's very attention itself, personalized...This is a finite parallel to the Infinite. As the love of the Father and Son (who are infinite and equal) is a Person, so the love and attention of the Light to the Mote is a person (that is both with us and in Heaven): finite but divine, i.e. angelic.”

the asshurt from tolkien revisionists is real

OP here... more of this.

So Tolkien was a Christian and he hated allegory

Was he a biblical literalist?

A letter detailing Tolkien and divine providence is somehow proving his works are allegories or not?

You are really stretching here.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucatastrophe

no but theological conversatiosen is the direction we want.

bookdepository.com/Tolkien-and-the-C.-S.-Lewis-Colin-Duriez/9781587680267?redirected=true&utm_medium=Google&utm_campaign=Base3&utm_source=AU&utm_content=Tolkien-and-the-C.-S.-Lewis&selectCurrency=AUD&w=AF45AU96916BLDA8ZTPH&pdg=kwd-104399950179:cmp-680104063:adg-32696820702:crv-151943499815:pid-9781587680267&gclid=CKLhx4bX6tACFVEIvAodICsB7Q

>the nordaboo resorting to autistic screeching at Tolkien's Christianity

thor is dead faggot. go wank to your death metal bands.

Great argument.

come on, lets have some peaceful theoligcal discourse.