/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

DED THRED edition

Previous thread
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.44.05.
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist:
github.com/Dwarf-Therapist/Dwarf-Therapist/releases

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164123
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Legends Viewer:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154617.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11455

>Starter Pack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html
youtu.be/VYSSIpP3r9w
youtu.be/V840anEvGPw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

He he he.

We need an update.

We need popular YouTubers to start playing this.

He didn't feel anything after watching /dfg/ die.

Reminder: New dev page
bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html

We need a popular youtuber to start playing ur mom.

Did the stress system ever work outside of that time the discipline mechanic made everyone scared shitless at the sight of a kea?

My mom is dead, but hey. If Logan Paul wants to go for it, he can be my guest.

Fuck it I'm going to do an Aniki adventurer and post my shit here and you're going to like it.
Any recommendations for starting skills+stats?

>proficient wrestler
Pretty good.

>tfw boats won't be happening in the mini-army-arc before the Big Wait
That is sad but not unexpected.
He should probably have better social skills.

Alright I gave him some points in social awareness, speaker, and wordsmith.
Unfortunately I couldn't find a fitting god, but this name is too good to pass up.

And here's the personality and values.
Any final changes before Aniki begins his quest?

Ok guys, I've been gone for a couple of years. Where's the update summary image?

We need half naked camwhores to play this while twerking or something.

Looks good to me

Thus our Aniki begins his quest.
And of course, I'm going to do this run in just a thong.

shit forgot my image
What should the goal of Aniki's journey be, anons?

Probably be treated as a hero at least

Yes, of course.
Looks like the lord of this locker room wants us to kill a freak of evil.

>night creature
Might want to get some friends.

And so Aniki convinces some (male)drunks to join him.
Interestingly one of them has a steel axe.

While waiting for the freak of evil to return to his lair, I met this guy.
He seems trustworthy and not at all suspicious.

>Inb4 one of these drunks runs him over with a steel minecart

This freak of evil doesn't seem that evil.
It's not even attacking Aniki, they're having a nice conversation instead.
I don't think Aniki would kill him just for the fame.

Ask him who is the boss of this lair.

I decided to tell him a story.
He didn't like it.

Ast showing who's the real boss of this lair.

Honestly, I thought your journey was gonna be cut short because of how strong night trolls are

And so Aniki returns to the lord with the news of the freak's death. He didn't suffer a single wound thanks to the bravery and selflessness of his companions.
Aniki has survived his first mission, but his mysterious companion Omo the elf still needs to be brought back to her home.
Who knows what adventures are still in store for Aniki?
What kind of places, what kind of men shall he meet?
Cutting this a bit short since I'm tired as hell. Aniki will be back, though.
I had four companions, and the night troll didn't even hit me. All of my companions lived as well.
The fight could have gone far worse if it wasn't for Ast exploding the fucker with a single punch.

Does toady plan on setting aside a large chunk of time for performance improvements?

I can't see all the changes in the new dev page taking place if the game runs at 5fps calculations

You're safe now but protip for hearthperson quests, you need to land at least 1 hit for the quest to be counted as "finished" as in you killed it. Otherwise you will be stuck unable to complete the quest.

He does performance fixes when he feels like it. For example:
>We started this week looking at libraries, and eventually fixed a few issues causing scribes to eventually stop copying written material. The plan was to visit a few of the new bugs from there, but one of the library saves had 200 dwarves and 60000 items, so I took a look at it. It started at 13-17 FPS, and now, some days and a few dozen tweaks later, it's running at 22-26 FPS. Some of the gains are universal, some depend on, say, how many chickens are in play. It also had a very barfy above-ground tavern, so I took the opportunity to alter the cleaning code so that they'll clean inside non-subterranean areas, as well as outside areas on constructions and buildings; they'll also chain cleanings so they at least get a good swath of a giant green smear before moving on. More needs to be done with cleaning, but this should help.
And we won't see these performance improvements until the upcoming patch coming VERY VERY soon he he he

woah, hey guys

So I need some advice how to defeat this thing. Great dragons are roughly twice the size of regular dragons, intelligent and start with double of a dragons natural skill.
This is the last remaining goblin civ in the world and the dragon been it's master for 1121 years.
It's a warmongering maniac that's led the assult in 47 battles over 23 wars, 29k kills.
Two dwarven civilizations and a elven one have fallen thanks to its thirst of blood.

It's been a whole year and I'm still cleaning up after the megasiege. Those 4000+ rotting bodyparts were just the beginning: I've been unloading the invaders' dirty laundry to caravan after caravan and still there's no end to clutter. Even now there must be hundreds of thousands worth of troll-sized filthy skidmarked underwear alone, just lying around my main entrance.

So how did you even get such a large siege? Just increased the siege cap?

Yes, I had increased the siege cap but not that much. I think I got three or four times larger siege than I was supposed to have.

Haven't played for a long time boys
Why are there so many quivers in the default embark settings? Is it some sort of internal joke or something? In general, why are the default embark settings so shit?
Also will my save carry on into the next update?

We need a good update*

You're fucked m8. I doubt there's much that can defeat that.

>Great Comedian
Or is it just that no one dares not to laugh to its jokes?

Dwarf Fortress was a mistake

Do gobbos even have a good sense of humor?

I that sounds pretty cool.
This gigantic dragon sitting on the throne in a dark tower wearing a crown and bone sceptre pondering about which unfortunate beings it will wage war against next.
It loves the thrill of battle and always lead their armies to victory and personally killed thousands.
Breddy gud.

I heard Aniki is dead, lets take a moment of silence please.

>Do gobbos even have a good sense of humor?
I think they're more into robust physical comedy. Like murder.

Or poking dead animals

>tfw nobody is willing to talk

Just got an interesting embark. Its a river that goes into a waterfall its a quite deep ravine and forks into two from there.
Spectacular to look at and probably wont see its kind again in world gen for some time.
But i guess the waterfall is a FPS trap so i probably going to quite the map soon.

I have no idea what the quivers are for. Hunting, I guess? I always just Embark Now. It's easy enough to craft anything that's missing from the loadout.
And yeah, save compatibility is usually good. Some of the new features might not work correctly, but it'll run.

>I always just Embark Now.
You're a braver man than me. I can't embark without 20 minutes of neurotically swapping shit out.

Do dwarves just fucking murder eachother sometimes?

I had a dwarf jump onto another and push him into a moat.

Wasn't berserk or anything.

It happens, very very rarely.

I don't know why the default embark settings are so shit. They really are though. It does indeed make no sense at all to bring three quivers and no crossbows or bolts, along with lots of other stuff that could easily be made from cheaper raw materials when the need arises, which won't be for at least a little while under most/all circumstances. For example: bags, ladders, buckets, crutches, and cloth. I (and probably most other people) always at a minimum switch out the ladders, buckets, bags, quivers, etc for logs, thread, leather, etc which costs far less in embark points and can easily be used to make those finished products if my dwarves have just a little bit of free time. It makes me think just now that an idea I was thinking about a couple days ago has more merit than I had realized: untrained dwarfs should have a significant chance to fail crafting tasks, possibly wasting the materials that the failed job required. I think Toady has addressed the general concept of unskilled dwarves being too good at jobs they should have no idea how to do before, but this would just be another consequence of that being implemented: if you need an actual carpenter to reliably make beds/barrels/buckets/whatever out of wood then you can't just bring a seven pieces of wood to a terrifying glacier along with your seven soldiers and expect to have seven perfectly serviceable beds once you tell one of your dwarves who's apparently never touched an unworked piece of wood in his life to make them into beds, and similarly with cloth, leather, metal/ore, and everything else that's useful to a starting fort and easily made on the spot. It would put more strategy into the embark.

Stop yanking the default embark settings. They are perfectly good and as intended by our lord and savoir Toady made them. Its just you guys who cant comprehend the vision of Toady.

>not changing it up for RP scenarios

What's everyone's favorite and least favorite part of Dwarf Fort?

Need this info for some personal research..

Why did you let the thread die

Favorite: hilarious bugs.
Least favorite: unfunny bugs.

Tell me your darkest secret and maybe ill answer you.

What's that mean?

Update when?

The fact that stories really do unfold.
The fucking frame death.
Honorable mentions:
these

Favorite: probably the detail with which each dwarf in my fortress is simulated, with individual personality traits, mental and physical strengths and weaknesses, skills, preferences, attitudes...

Least favorite: probably the glaring inconsistencies in the simulation. I dislike people popping into existence out of thin air offscreen, mortal wounds' lethality being contingent on the presence of the player, (eg people being decapitated in worldgen and then living perfectly normal lives until they either visit an active player fort or an adventurer walks too near them and they immediately drop dead), worldgen and world activation combat working so vastly differently from the way it does in either fortress or adventure mode, leading to some fairly absurd histories (did Toady fix this one recently?) etc.

I'm just gonna say my least favorite is aquifers.
There is nothing fun about the tedium in handling aquifers. I hated them since the day there were implemented and they're fucking everywhere.
I'm not the least bit ashamed of editing them out of the raws.

This, but I also remove mega, forgotten, semi-mega beasts and gobbos.
Usually werecreatures too.

>gobbos
Why?

I know this is bait but there's probably people who unironically do that.

Their sieges are unfun and doesn’t really add anything to the game.

Page 10 is unfun and doesn't really add anything to the site.

Soon the world will be set right.

Everything's good.

Big
Dorf
Benis

There's just no way you can believe something so stupid.

Thick
Musky
Dorf
Benis

don't encourage him

How do we fix goblins?
Is there a mod that anons here commonly throw in to prevent them being boring axe fodder who take up 90% of world population?

this was supposed to be a reply to
but I suck.

This is the first time ive seen anyone complaining about too many goblins. Usually its complaints about not enough sieges.

I believe he's saying they are too weak, considering the user who killed 400 in a siege a few days ago without suffering any casualties except a few crippled axe dwarves he might have a point.

>tfw you strike native platinum in the sedimentary layer

Tbh thats easily fixed with mods that add more invader races.

Issues with dwarves stopping their work because another dwarf picked up the barrel containing all the seeds for some reason, and stuff like that.

So do megabeasts not fight to their full potential in world gen if they take control of a civ? Had 15 out of 15 megabeasts struck down in world gen in the first megabeast attack after they’ve taken over in my tests.

These tree huggers will soon regret selling me such a beast

They were made to be a swarm race that would overcome others trough attrition and sheer numbers so making them tougher might make them a little bit overpowered since they already don't need to eat and are virtually immortal. Unless you wanted to nerf those aspects, which would just put the civ on the same footing as everyone else, you'd probably be better off making it so you can't cheese sieges as easily or nerf legendary fighters so they aren't as busted.

Favorite: Toady's dev blog
Least favorite: my framerate

Favorite: The procedurality aspect (i.e. DF as "fantasy world generation") and its scope.

Least favorite: A lack of realism or resemblance with reality with the terrain generation on a large scale (i.e. no plate tectonics, forming mountain ridges, valleys, etc).

>plate tectonics
Oh so you havent heard?
youtu.be/VYSSIpP3r9w
youtu.be/V840anEvGPw

Modding

>no plate tectonics,
well it is a FANTASY world, for all you know it could be totally flat

Grind the fuck out of stealth and try to hit him on the head while he's not looking, preferably with something like a spear.

I don't think you'll have much of a chance in direct combat.

I think they're in need of an overhaul, since DF is now fuller fantasy world simulation instead of a fortress defence game. Right now they have no real reason to exist except to provide an endless supply of warm bodies for sieges.
So I'd cut immortality and noeat/nodrink and make them aggressive, carnivorous, short-lived, fast-breeding race; that would preserve their "evil swarm race" aspect. Have their culture to be centered on that, and let that show in the game as well.
Maybe have a "boss" caste that would be bigger and stronger than ordinary gobbos to fix lackluster sieges somewhat.

WTF is happening today, this was supposed to be a reply to
But yeah, point stands.

Well at the moment the lore does justify their existence. Gods of war and slaughter will summon demons and their spires to test the resolve of mortals, and with demons come the innumerable goblin slaves, which may well be a servitor race to demon-kind, to enact that purpose.

Do prepared meals not go into food stockpiles normally? Doesn't seem to be working for me.

I had no idea great dragons were even a thing in this game.

Yet over half of the incoming entertainers and scholars in many fortresses are goblins. That original lore doesn't really apply anymore.