Probably been asked here a million times before so forgive me, but how historically accurate is Rome?

Probably been asked here a million times before so forgive me, but how historically accurate is Rome?

Other urls found in this thread:

decider.com/2016/04/20/cult-corner-hbo-rome/
youtube.com/watch?v=M_JVaMuZZBQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's actually not too bad. One of the more accurate shows around for sure

it's reasonably accurate but it's a TV drama not a documentary so they had to make choices about characterisation

Fairly. The stuff they did change is pretty obvious and done for story reasons (like Cato being an old man to fit with his role as the last true Republican).
It's the little touches I like, though, like Lucius freaking out that they're crossing the Rubicon.

>tfw you will never cuck Caesar

It's fairly good. Season 2 kinda ends abruptly though, and you will feel unsatisfied when it's all over.

devastated about the funding cut. Ciaran hinds was fantastic as Caesar

Depiction of events is wrong. Depictions of Roman society, mores and ethics are fucking spot on.

I, Aeneas Mella, find this show to be deeply troubling, but I, Aeneas Mella, am no more than a merchant trying to make ends meet so what do I, Aeneas Mella know.

who is Aeneas Mella

I am Aeneas Mella

that is pompey

No
That's Aeneas Mella

Consider yourself a prisoner of the 13th legion

Please let me bring my wife and children to Egypt :(

They change events but are totally authentic to the time period

reeeeee they didn't kill Caesar in the Theatre of Pompey reeeeeee

>there hasn't been a peep about the movie since 2014
It's never happening is it

>but how historically accurate is Rome?
mostly accurate, although since they cover a period of several decades things don't always line up perfectly. A lot of the children seem to stay young for about ten years and then we jump forward a year to find them all grown up.

Fun fact: Titus Pullo and Lucius Vorenus were real legionaries in Caesar's army (although probably nothing like the characters that are depicted in the show). We know of them from a passing reference in Caesar's memoirs on his campaigns in Gaul (de Bello Gallico): the Gauls attack the fort they're defending, and Pullo goes full Rambo and charges the Gauls all by himself, so Verenus has to go in pull his ass out of there.

Vorenus died?

What happened to them? Did the gyppos do something to them?
I know some of Ponpey's kids and grandkids did stuff later on

Theres a good lecture and Q&A with the historical advisor from Rome on YouTube. Gives insight on how they aimed not to be historically accurate, which is a chimera, but rather historically authentic.

For example they got real blacksmiths to play the blacksmiths in the background of some scene rather than extras, small details like that make the show more authentic, however it's also innacurate because blacksmiths shops werent permitted in those central areas of the city due to risk of fire.

>For example they got real blacksmiths to play the blacksmiths in the background of some scene rather than extras
Seems unnecessarily expensive. How hard is it to get an extra to mime being a blacksmith for 0.5 seconds in the background?

No wonder the production was too expensive.

The actor who played Mark Antony apparently declined a role in GoT due to bad blood and accused them of stealing thier show/budget, so sounds like some bridges may have been burned.

His death hurt me more than any other.
Pompey Magnus killed in fucking nowhere, Egypt by a bunch of greedy shits

Nah, he just went on to become a doctor.

I think Pompey's kids continue to fight against Caesar in Spain

Some bridges weren't meant to be crossed.

Season 2 is seasons 2-3-4-5 combined into 10 episodes because they told writers that the show will end with season 2.

iirc, and that's a big if it went roughly like this :
hist older sons / male family members tried to mount a force against gaius in spain
got btfo
his daughters got married to minor houses of africa without any problems or troubles

I really enjoyed Caesar's red Jupiter face at his triumph and his slave behind him reminding him of his humanity.

>James Purefoy in GoT

Like I know it's just GoT, but Purefoy was made for macho, sword & sorcery cheese. My mental image of Antony is him, basically.

Pompey's son actually controlled Sicily for a bit during Octavian's triumvirate but that btfo later.

It seemed well done for the most part. It triggered me that Caesar had hair on his head though. The man was balding early in life and by the time he was in Gaul had only hair on the sides it's why he wore the wreath like in the OP pic in the first place when he could.

HE WAS A CONSOLE OF ROME

I wonder what the ancient Romans would think about such a story produced about them, especially one in a g*rmanic language. Would they be disgusted, or did they accept that all great civilizations rise and fall?

I'm sure it would sting a bit less once they learned how much Western civilization tongues their assholes.

I'm hoping for a better Rome replacement after GoT is finally over.

>mfw the first episode

>The actor who played Mark Antony apparently declined a role in GoT due to bad blood and accused them of stealing thier show/budget

Fucking too right, god damn that actor must be based as fuck, always loved his enthusiasm in the show, one of the best characters easily.

kek

I didn't know that, but I know it's the same case for Pullo and Vorenus.

Also, what they did for the deaths of Brutus and Cassius was fucking awful.

decider.com/2016/04/20/cult-corner-hbo-rome/

>The new fantasy series would pirate Rome‘s cast and production staff. Rome stars James Purefoy and Kevin McKidd have gone on the record saying that they wouldn’t join former colleagues Ciaran Hinds, Indira Varma, or Tobias Menzies on the hit series because they honestly believe Rome was cancelled to set up Game of Thrones‘ success.

>mfw

But Rome wrapped up in 2007 and GOT came on the scene around 2011. That's a long time. Also a set of Rome burned down that was too expensive to rebuild.

Seems like run of the mill butthurt to me.

>costuming for the Romans is immaculately accurate
>costuming for the Gauls is absolutely fucking dreadful
They look like fucking budget Dacians or something.

Why would it be more expensive? Its not like a film studio doesn't have a few dozen blacksmiths to rope in and for those scenes you only need to pay them as extras.

He's probably butthurt that all the GoT actors are cult icons while noone gives a shit about Rome anymore, and the best thing he's been in recently is Ironclad.

You should check out the first episode of the Hollow Crown. The Welsh are costumed litterally as cavemen. Alongside the English nobles in relatively correct late 14th century costumes.

Reminder that Rome made money on its DVD sales and the producers were scum-sucking weasels who deserve to be cursed to Hades, upon all the gods below.

>studio
>dozens of blacksmiths always on call just lying around waiting to be extras

is this a new /tv/ meme

This. They did a great job of portraying Roman culture, pre-Christian morality, and getting the general motivations of the first Triumvirs.

>console

HE WAS A POSTMAN IN COLOGNE

They formed the second triumvirate. Not the first. The first triumvirate was Ceasar, Pompey, and Crassus. The second triumvirate was Octavian, Antony, and Lepidus. Just a friendly correction. Carry on.

>Carry on
>my adopted son
>there'll be imperium when you are done

Meant the first guys but should have mentioned the second. I liked the 1st season a lot better than the second.

>watching The Last Kingdom
>they visit Cornwall for an episode
>the Cornish all have massive moustaches and spikey hair and are painted with woad

first season is pretty much starting after the first triumvirate which pretty much was over after pompeis wife was kill

I know. Was just using it as shorthand. Studied Roman history in Rome :)

fair enough
t. fellow student of glorious historia romae

I put flowers on Caesar's altar in the Forum.

Roma Invictus

youtube.com/watch?v=M_JVaMuZZBQ
>it ain't me starts playing

>Rome thread
>no Atia

Don't be a goose.

>immaculately accurate
>square shields
>accurate

based
trip to rome is on my to do list but no denari
sentit malo

>Pompey Magnus killed in fucking nowhere, Egypt by a bunch of greedy shits
Pompey deserved to die like a dog
>"...does it serve any useful purpose to know that Pompey was the first to exhibit the slaughter of eighteen elephants in the Circus, pitting criminals against them in a mimic battle? He, a leader of the state and one who, according to report, was conspicuous among the leaders of old for the kindness of his heart, thought it a notable kind of spectacle to kill human beings after a new fashion. Do they fight to the death? That is not enough! Are they torn to pieces? That is not enough! Let them be crushed by animals of monstrous bulk! Better would it be that these things pass into oblivion lest hereafter some all-powerful man should learn them and be jealous of an act that was nowise human. O, what blindness does great prosperity cast upon our minds! When he was casting so many troops of wretched human beings to wild beasts born under a different sky, when he was proclaiming war between creatures so ill matched, when he was shedding so much blood before the eyes of the Roman people, who itself was soon to be forced to shed more. He then believed that he was beyond the power of Nature. But later this same man, betrayed by Alexandrine treachery, offered himself to the dagger of the vilest slave, and then at last discovered what an empty boast his surname was."
> Seneca, De Brevitate Vitae (XIII),

She's my waifu :D

This was mentioned in the DVD commentary, they used the actual on-site ferriers (blacksmiths who specialize in shoeing horses), and just threw some extra clothes and a few extra bucks at them.

Its kinda like how LotR used actual Weta Workshop smiths for their smithing scenes. They already had the people anyways.

Shame. Shame on the House of Ptolemy, shame.

You forgot the part where after a while the elephants ceased fighting and started engaging in supplicating gestures, raising their trunks to the sky and apparently begging to the gods, leading to a popular belief that he had been cursed to die by them, and his death in Africa was considered a fulfillment of it.

It doesn't even end there, both were competing for a promotion, so they were pretty much "friendly" rivals.
Pullo tried to rambo for that sweet raise, and vorenus, out of duty, had to pull him back.

This was a great display of camaraderie and thats why it's written there, as a "historical fact". It really impressed the spectator.

I agree, he is the only thing in Solomon kane that makes the movie watchable.

and the best part of Disneys John Carter was the casting of Ciaran Hinds as a king with James as his general

Let's see. Are the statues painted or white?
White, then?

This is what triggers your autism? Well I can't remember a statue but in general Rome is colorful as fuck and there are a lot of great detail (death masks in the homes of the wealthy) and made my antiquity buddies all feel warm and fuzzy. They even included some puns taken from influential modern historians ("New men in the Roman senate?")

The question was about accuracy, I am passing no judgment. The color of the statues is a well known fact that is normally overlooked because people would not believe it was real.
Any consultant worth his salt would point this. They were ignored or not hired, pick your poison.

There was a lot of historical consultation going on in the show. I would even say that it's the most accurate show ever even though it's pretty inaccurate
>inbh4 I, Claudius
Claudius is a great show but it takes the sources way too literal and follows an approach that was abandoned in the 19th century. I mean a fucking contest on who can be the biggest whore in Rome? Come on.

>The color of the statues is a well known fact that is normally overlooked because people would not believe it was real.

They also cut Maximus advertising olive oil in the Colosseum in the Gladiator because they thought the audience wouldn't believe it actually happened in ancient Rome.

But as always, accuracy won't get in the way of the fun.
This is the future we chose.

I see no point in asking the same standards from a tv show I ask from a peer reviewed article.
Also the essence of pre-modern society is perfectly portrayed in which sense it doesn't matter which shape the shields are (in fact very few real historians care about that stuff).

OP did this when asking how accurate the show is. It is television, do not expect anything from it. Every time a show like this happens, teachers have to extract it with a forceps from the heads of their students.

If teachers talk in depth about the shape of shields and the color of statues they suck anyway. As I already pointed out that great concept of the period were portrayed according to state of the art research. I taught some courses myself and it's far more important for people to understand that slaves were not considered human than when exactly Anthony was elected Tribune. This stuff only matters to wiki warriors.

I said same thing in another thread but it potrays the period really well but i wouldnt call it %100 accurate.

>Maximus advertising olive oil in the Colosseum
kek is there a clip of it by any chance ?

Yeah, they do. You know, for building all the shit that goes into making a big budget movie or TV show.

Anyone else fight back tears during Pullo's execution scene?

The show captures what life can be like for a returning veteran quite well. Cuts deep some times.

i guess you could pass it off as a mob of angry idiots instead of an actual gaul army.

basically this is riot control, not a battle.

How can this show be accurate which it depicts Caesarion not as Caesar's actual son?

Why did they turn him into a bad guy?

Nice. That's one way to save it.

True Roman bread for true Romans! No actors or prostitutes allowed!

This dude was my favorite

His speeches were awesome, but the actor...Jesus Christ, how can you let yourself get that fat?

He just kept eating meanwhile failing to develop the self discipline to stop himself from eating too much.

>implying that take on ww2 doesn't look totally tits

When you get paid based on being fat, you lose a lot of incentive to become thin.

They didn't...

If you were a senators son then you'd be fucking expected to serve in the legion if you wanted to become anything at all doe

Yeah but if you were a senator's son you'd get a nice, cushy post as a tribune doing some mundane logistics work while receiving a disproportionate share of the booty while the vast throng of poors did all the fighting and dying.

What was up with Eirene marrying Pullo after he murdered her love?

I was in that thread.