itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-19

> Game Jam (Small World)
itch.io/jam/agdg-small-world-jam

> Helpful links
Weekly Recap: recap.agdg.io
AGDG Steam Games: homph.com/steam
Fanart and stuff: drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6j4pcv3V-vfb3hKSlhRRzlLbFE
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627 (embed)

Previous Thread: Previous Demo Days: pastebin.com/74btH1aJ (embed)
Previous Jams: pastebin.com/mU021G8w (embed)

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org
UE4: unrealengine.com
Unity: unity3d.com

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org
blender-models.com

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
freemusicarchive.org
incompetech.com/music
fantasymusica.org

> How to Webm
obsproject.com
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/soylent/comments/7yxkjq/i_legitimately_hurt_my_hand_trying_to_get_the/
github.com/dmarnerides/hdr-expandnet
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

i give up

OK, so maybe I haven't made any progress in the past 5 days, but I will tomorrow, I promise!

nobody cares, if you don't enjoy doing it then why bother

this isn't a race or competition and it isn't going to earn you internet points.

>I tried to imply stuff
I did notice that a bit later on, with the cross and the painting, which implies some sense of horror.
I didn't really put too much thought into alcohol since that's just a thing people do when making semi-old timey homes.

>Why is it not photoreal
Is it attempting to be photoreal? The textures seem almost painterly to me but that could also just be the lighting
I thought it was an intentional part of the aesthetic if it's not. Like the drywall in the closet looks very much like a painting, and the way the mirror shares the same texture... Looks like brushstrokes.
Also All of the plates/bowls/drinks are like super perfect looking with no marks whatsoever.
Texture of the lamp looks pretty cheap especially considering it's foreground. Assume it's just the style.

>could you pinpoint what exactly doesn't make it look completely photorealistic?
Not that guy, but there's a few tells in the scene like the lamp shade and the book that aren't quite right. Though it generally looks more like a painting than a photo due to the unnaturally moody color scheme and the texturing on the walls and woodwork.

How are scrollable character selectors best created in Unity? The default ScrollView doesn't seem to have the functionality to magnetically focus on the nearest object when touch is released.

>How are scrollable character selectors best created in Unity? The default ScrollView doesn't seem to have the functionality to magnetically focus on the nearest object when touch is released.
cant you extend it to do that?

I guess, but it's not easy. I don't think there's a value that indicates how far an item is from the center of the ScrollView, for example.

make your own scroll system

Yes, it is the aesthetic, I'm just asking in general to get a better understanding. I used materials from Substance Painter so they "should" be photorealistic. That's why I'm also thinking that the lighting breaks the photorealism here. Basically I want to understand how I achieved this effect because it wasn't exaclty on purpose. To be clear, I like it and don't want to change it now, but originally I planned to just go full photorealism with the scene.

It's pretty easy to figure that out.

Friendly reminder that if you have any classes over 250 lines, you need to break the functionality down into smaller classes that each do isolated tasks

>dude slow ur game down because i don't like large files

>game becomes slower by having a few more classes

>i don't understand the burden of needless objects

>>>r/gamedev

trying to work on invent management and stuffs :)

>needless objects slows game down

Gamemakerfag dectected

>i don't understand OOP

hello drag and dropper

Show me the massive drops in your performance in your C++ application when you make new objects

there are no drops in mine because I use sane concern seperation

lol no

Here's your (you) for creative use of wordplay

/agdg/ can be worse than /g/ on programming paradigms

or separate them logically instead of being a retard

i wonder why the username was changed in that pic

nah, i'm good.

>do this
>now each class depends on 2-3 other classes
I love spaghetti!

>Rewrite client networking stack
>realize that i now have to rewrite server network stack

I think its a combination of
>Soft blue-white light
>Implausible light cone
>Too perfect color palette, with that washed out look
>Perfectly staged look of the composition
>Idealized sterility (e.g. aged looking room with zero dust or damage and pristine vases on the shelf).
>Brush-stroke looking texturing

It has a lot in common with american realist painting, I think.

That's not what spaghetti code is, user

That's ravioli code.

this is getting too comfy

I'm singing in the rain
I'm singing in the rift over the lighthouse

>now each class depends on 2-3 other classes
that's not a problem in itself, breaking up into multiple smaller classes pushes the burden of clean code up one level in the abstraction system, as long as you are doing it properly it should be easier to maintain

>tfw trying to optimise ur game
If it runs smoothly with 3000 enemies it should run ok with 100 right?

>substance painter should be photoreal

you'll only get truly photoreal textures from photogrammetry

God, I'm pissed so much that I can't figure this out. Thanks though, ofc.

That's clear, the lighting is one cause. The colors could be the reason too, I mean, you've seen the reference, even that scene in the movie looks fake-ish, and I recreated it, so no wonder. Perfectly staged and sterile? I don't know about that, I really tried making it look imperfect. Doors and tray slightly skewed, dirt all around the walls and the ground, scratches, dust, I mean the dust is everywhere, I don't get how you are saying it's not there at all? I agree about the vases, them and the glasses are the only assets I didn't texture, just applied some shaders.

But -
>Brush-stroke looking texturing
I'm going insane over this because it doesn't make sense to me. I'm trying to explain it to myself and can't. Those are photorealistic materials from Substance Painter, you can see them everywhere in photorealistic scenes. I figure that the lighting is completely changing their looks somehow? I mean, that's great, and I like that you mentioned realist painting. That's actually what I struggled to comprehend for the past couple of months, e.g. how did that Agent 327 animated movie achieve that stylized look when the materials are obviously realistic. Or how did Pixar/Disney achieve stylized realism. And now it seems that I finally ended up kinda achieving that look but I don't understand how I got it. I want to emulate that shit now, but need to 100% understand how to do it on purpose every time. This was just an accident.

blender 2.8 is not production ready. hence you get fucked up bugs in the viewport sometimes. as well as potential dataloss bugs and other issues.

A game where you put the lime in the coconut and drink them both up

True, but you know what I mean. It doesn't look "painterly" like it does here. Plenty of people have been using those same materials in their photorealistic studies, and you wouldn't say that the materials look stylized there. If you have been using SP, you probably used the same wood materials as well.

A point and click adventure game where you have to combine a pen, pinapple, and apple in order to progress

Oh, you're talking about that. Yeah, well I said it in the post. That's Eevee and it has a lot of bugs, I was able to fix all of them, though. The worse part IMO are the shadows atm, they are grainy and change shapes based on camera angle.

Do you have a blog or something? I really like that art.

It wasnt

>wasting time worrying about standards and styles
>not just doing what works for you

have you tried to goole reverse search?
Was posted literally everywhere

>update Unity
>get some stupid "transform.position assign attempt is not valid" error

I just woke up and didn't bother reading the entire reply chain, cmon man gimme a break.

>I don't know about that, I really tried making it look imperfect.
Yeah, but you made it look perfectly imperfect.

Look at this this precisionist painting. It's good rust and mold everywhere and even a human figure. However, because of the way the artist used too perfect lines, unnatural colors and abstracted some textures while going super realistic with others, it looks artificial and completely still. (Artist's name is Jeffery Smart).

That's what's going on with your scene, you've got an abstracted precision to your textures and layout that makes it look unreal.

well the post is still up: reddit.com/r/soylent/comments/7yxkjq/i_legitimately_hurt_my_hand_trying_to_get_the/

someone gets it. we're here to make games, and we're all gonna make it

>this icebreaker rapidly advances toward you
What do.

Grab it by the horns

suplex it

Thanks, makes sense I guess.

Thank you, I don't have any blog atm. I'm fairly regular on /3/, though, so you could go there. Idk if I'm worth to follow t b h. 2 more weeks and it will officially be 1 full year of me teaching myself 3D, which means I'm still fairly a beginner, so... Yeah, a lot of studies, not that much finished art like this, it's the first weekly project of mine and I'm planning to do more of them. That way I'll actually finish stuff and won't have enough time to get emotionally attached to my work too much.

Shout at it
"WHERE'S YOURE GAME"

WHERE'S YOURE GAME

In my hard drive.
Where is yours?

>me when I'm emerging from my room after 12 hours of devving

Remember that these are your art experts here.

me when i'm spying on my players to sell data to google

hello pedo-kun

thin your paints faggot

Google is already spying on you and your players and they already have all the data they need, facebook too.
The best you can do is get Analytics so you can see a small portion of the collected data.

THREE LAYERS

Forgot to mention Unity, that one too spies on everyone and you can't even disable the spying on your own game with the free version.

>expecting expertise in a place where you can easily pretend to be someone else if they're doing text-only posts without trip and make them completely disreputable
if you need that find a place with names, /agdg/ is for feedback on progress and demos

>you as the guy when you find out nobody has played your game

>My cmd immediately closes when I try to open it.
Tried scanning with defender, malwarebytes and avast, and nothing

What the fuck do I do now? It could be some virus but it doesn't seem like it is. I know this is offtopic, but we're shitposting anyway, and I can't continue devving until I fix this shit.

>windows
you deserve this

how d you call it?

>nodev detected

Call what? I tried opening it up normally and as an administrator. It opens up a big window for a second, then a tiny one and then closes.

so fucking great, is this yours user?

whatever happened to lurk before posting

can you use powershell?

Friendly reminder to add comments to your code whenever you do something that isn't self explanatory and/or if you were to look back at it in 6 months you wouldn't remember what it does or why

github.com/dmarnerides/hdr-expandnet

This program claims to be able to make HDR images from LDR sources. Could be useful for anyone using environment lighting.

i'm almost giving up.

I write comments before writing the code to organize myself and then I delete the comments once I'm done.

Why don't you make one?

hehe... booboes... instabuy :)

Nice

Ah, I can, yeah. I'll still need to figure out what is causing my cmd to go crazy, I don't want to get haxxed.

Is this like Vampire the Masquerade?

I like.

I write comments before I start too, but I also keep them in if they explain what the code does and the code is too complicated or abstract to speak for itself

a) is she fucking drunk at the inventory screen?
b) fix the equipment jitter with her model
c) hair does not behave this way on a body and you know it - fix it.

no you

Open powershell, do "sfc /scannow", then restart.

This game looks nice. I must do better

Can someone explain why people say undertale has bad graphics? These are all very well done. It's just the style that is minimaslistic but that is intended.

you made my day, guise!

it's a spiritual sequel in another setting/world to avoid C&D letters kinda of thing

thanks for the tips. user
a. and b. are the same issue, i have a script that stops the head look whenever the player access the inventory, ill fix it later, and the hair is just a placeholder.

all pixelshit is bad
except fez

Look like the output of a decompiler for me.

All of those sprites are so small and minimal and that's it's difficult to make out any significant details at all

The main character being the prime example, it's supposed to be "androgynous" when it clearly look like a girl due to fat hips
Like what the fuck are the side things on Undyne's hips?
Alphy's hair from the front view looks retarded.

If it wasn't for their conversation profiles and tons of fan art, it'd be pretty difficult to tell what the hell everyone is supposed to be.

>tiddies
>lots of attention
>no tiddies
>not much attention
I know what I must do.

Is this a stock model? What about the animations?