He doesn't think that the late 1700s-early 1800s were the best period in history

>he doesn't think that the late 1700s-early 1800s were the best period in history

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jU6T6Qr4d0Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>why yes, i consider myself a historian; napoleon, ww2, the meji restoration, the list goes on...

>teleports behind you
>"heh, the atomic bombings of japan were justified kid, i saw it on history channel"

>*leans back*
>"heh, so you want to get into history? just start with the greeks kid"

>he doesn't wear a shako
Get with the times

That's basically the second step a newfag takes into history after they move on from WW2.

War historians are the Reddit of History.

tricornes are the fedoras of history

Not really. Pretty sure for most people it's either WW1 or Vietnam/Cold War in general after WW2.

1517-1545 best day of my life

I really enjoy America's history post Revolutionary War+ratification

The founding fathers starting to hate each other, but still having each other's back in the end is pretty cool. Just trying to establish themselves as a country, and how party's began in America and all the shitflinging of elections started even back then

t. just played bloodborne

Vidja kids are the worst.

>He doesn't think that the mid-late 1800s were the best period in history

no, i just finished reading the count of monte cristo

nice projecting though

As soon as I lay eyes upon you, I knew you were in fact, "my nigga."

We are currently living in the greatest time in human history. Modern medicine is great.

Of course not.

Early modern period is heavily underrated

>Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth
>beginning of England as a power: the Tudor/Elizabethan Era
>Age of Exploration
>Spanish Golden (literally) Age
>Dutch Golden Age
>Italian Renaissance at a time of constant wars between city-states fielding mercenary armies
>height of Ottoman power - an actual threat to European Christendom, and the defense against their incursions
>Habsburgs as a transnational dynasty ruling multiple kingdoms
>Protestant Reformation and the brutal religious wars that followed - not enough German deaths

>tricornes are the fedoras of history
As a professional 18thC military historian, I can confirm this is fact.

I'd add the portuguese golden age just to round out the rest of the 'Age of the sail'

But this post is some 11/10 stuff.

>be me, a British soldier in His Majesty's Army
>get shipped to India to fight in the Raj
>fuck lots of qt3.14 curry bitches
>catch dysentery, almost die
>catch malaria, almost die
>forced to rush the gap at Seringapatam
>get stabbed in the guts by poo in the loo
>taken to a field hospital
>doctors are horrible, don't even wash their hands
>die of sepsis thousands of miles from home in a shitty land where no one washes their hands after taking a shit
>mfw I fell for the serve God and country meme

>Modern medicine is great.
This is the number one reason I never ever would want to live in the past.

>Go back in time
>Use my knowledge to get a position where I get power and money somehow
>Eat and fuck every day
>Die by 30 due to pancreatitis caused by a single tiny calculus stuck in the wrong place.

>Be me, Napoleon Bone-a-party
>British and Dutch shitposters locked me up on Elba after my last escape
>Living a pretty comfy NEET life but aspire to lead armies again
>Make secret arrangements to escape to Chile and create the United States of South America
>Fuck my stomach hurts tho, must've been this horrid nigger climate
>No matter, gonna get better and set the world on fire again!
>Drop dead at 51 of stomach cancer

>French revolution
>best anything

1500-1700 was the Golden Age of military aesthetics.
After this everything became boring and silly.
>less to no armor, bland uniforms, tricornes, whigs, then shakos

How do you go from this....

to this.

Modernization; full body armor was heavy and unwieldy for firearm usage. Not advocating shakos, but at least they served a purpose as opposed to the tricorners.

They could have kept metal helmets for a longer period.
A burganet seems far more useful than a shako.
In fact I still find it strange that the great armies from 1700 to WW1, with some exceptions, forgot about helmets.

Steel helmets wouldn't have stopped small arms fire. Even if the bullet doesn't properly penetrate the helmet you would probably wish it had because now you are suffering with a depressed skull in a war zone. Even in WWI helmets were more for protecting the wearer from artillery shrapnel than stopping bullets.

>beginning of England as a power
Kek.You went to far.Until the second Dutch war England was a joke

I don't think anybody thinks steel helmets would be effective against bullets.
The point was that steel helmets could still have protected against flying debris, artillery shrapnel and from bayonets and swords to some extent.
Shrapnel shells were introduced by the British from 1803 and they used them against the French, so maybe they could have reintroduced steel for infantry.

Does anyone know on what the pikeman's helmet is based on?

the Second Dutch War was early modern...

While it was their first glimpse of relevancy, England was kind of a mess in that era: Glorious Revolution, Jacobites, Gunpowder Plot, religious extremism (i.e. Puritans, hardcore anti-Catholics), the Spanish Armada, the fucking Civil War and Cromwell

Yea, totally missed that but vv important.
I find it interesting how Portugal/Spain/Netherlands were at the zenith of their power while "Germany" was a clusterfuck (the HRE), Russia was getting invaded by Poland, and France was still practicing feudalism

Not a fan of the old man wigs and men with high heels or the fake moles.

Victorian era is best era.

Too prude for my tastes.

>Implying European history in general isn't GOAT while everything else is just garbage

youtube.com/watch?v=jU6T6Qr4d0Y

>he doesn't think that the mid 1400s-early 1700s were the best period in history

>implying napoleonic-era uniforms aren't the peak of military wear

This.

>"BAW GOD YOU CAN'T DO THAT IT'S OBSCENE" the era

Now is the best time in history.

If you don't think about history like it's a movie you will realize that the past is total shit. If you someone woke up in the past tomorrow, you wouldn't be the general with his sword up in the air with a beam of sunlight gleaming off it. You would be one of the dead peasants face down in the mud and blood.

This. If you lived in any year earlier than 1900, live just flat-out sucked for the common mook. Part of the reason that the dudes you read about in history class are so celebrated, is that they accomplished all of their work in (at least from a modern-day standpoint) atrocious conditions.
>disease ran rampant if someone so much as coughed in a crowd
>entire cities and nation-states fell to marauders and brutes
>half the world was just an unknown "here there be dragons" void that swallowed up fleets and chewed up even the hardest men
>almost no one represented one another, nor stood fast for anything but the most noble or psychotic cause
>entire generations would fight in sprawls of combat that lasted decades, with half the armies succumbing to starvation or the elements before the battle even began
And these bad motherfuckers THRIVED in it. They observed the known world in all its turmoil, found it wanting, and ended up molding it more to their liking.

To that I say: FUCK THAT. I'm not remotely qualified for the Stygian metal album cover that was The Past. I myself wouldn't voluntarily time-travel earlier than the 20th century (I mean, I wouldn't fuck around with time-travel anyway, but that's beside the point). Medical science was still barbaric until the '40s, shit was even more unstable and divisive than today, and (being a Millenial shitter) I'd be bored in any year past 1980.

Frog detected