Is it ethical to open someone's grave and take things in the name of history?

Is it ethical to open someone's grave and take things in the name of history?

>ethical
spooky

Depends on the ethics you subscribe to/have developed

no you fucking mongoloid

Ethics are subjective to the individual. I myself hate to go to museums where they display the bodies of pharaohs as I find it incredibly disrespectful.

Dead people have no rights.

He said ethical, not whether dead people have rights.

In answer to this, I'd say it's pretty horrible really to display the dead. However learning from them is much needed in finding out an historical basis to which they came.

rights are a consequence of a morality

To preserve your own history? No. To build an understanding of someone else's? Yes. Unfortunately for many cultures their graves are the primary source of information about them, and I argue that the ethical duty to understand and learn from these different people outweighs the ethical dilemma of grave-robbing. The only issue here is the money being made from doing it.

This.

What system of ethics do you subscribe to?

Science-is-awesome-ism? Sure, no problem, it's for a good cause.

Graves-are-important-ism? No, duh.

Well first of all I think graves are unethical. Your body grew out of the living Systems that make all life possible, to accumulate all that energy and then to lock it away where it is unable to be used to grow new life and be returned into the system.
It's really robbing death of the only good thing it has to offer. And yourself of the only afterlife you're gonna get (besides the reciprocal effects of your actions)

But that's humans for you, chock full of evolutionary anachronisms and the superstitions that come along with the ability to symbolically inrepret meaning.

It is our responsibility even to open it if it will give our descendants knowledge they would not have in opposite case.
But showing mummies and bones of ancients in museums is unethical to me.

It you were talking about tombstones I would say no way hands off. but buried corpses are not symbolic they are actual people and so I do think it is ethical because conservative (aka antilogcal moralists) only care about symbolic things and actions.

But isn't a corpse a symbol of the life that once occupied it?
Isn't that why humans bury eachother in the first place?

Yeah it's got to be a symbol, no discernable detail of a corpse can transmit meaning of the personhood of the life it once housed.
But people don't see a corpse, they see their dead grandmother. Not just her body, but the life that once occupied it.
That is definitely a symbol.

As long as it is actually for legit reason. I dont mind.

>bodies don't decompose in a grave

i have to stop coming to this board, it is turning me into a retard

No they decompose, it just doesn't go back to the system.
That's why we can dig up remnants of bodies that are millions of years old, and use their energy to power our meme machines.
You retard.
But hey, atleast burying eachother will trap some ghg emmisons.

Coffins eventually degrade as well, you know this right?

You know we bury them under six feet of clay right?

4 Secs, I want dead ppl give me cheeks

If doing so would preserve their memory and legacy. So that all may know of what they did in life. Then yes.

If their memory fades from the Earth, who is there to say they were real at all?