So they found european DNA in chinese tombs from the times of the terra-cotta army (c. 200 AD)...

So they found european DNA in chinese tombs from the times of the terra-cotta army (c. 200 AD), and it revived an old argument according to which the greco-roman would have learned sclupting skills to the chinese.
They say before the army itself, only 20 cm. scluptures were found in the area and then suddenly, poof, a huge army of magnificent soldiers appeared.

Redpill me on this, Veeky Forums. Is it only western jealousy, or founded researches ?

Other urls found in this thread:

huffingtonpost.fr/2016/10/14/fameuse-armee-de-terre-cuite-chinoise-inspiree-grecs/
maxisciences.com/archeologie/en-chine-l-039-armee-de-terre-cuite-devoile-un-etonnant-secret-aux-archeologues_art38873.html
bluewin.ch/fr/infos/science/2016/10/des-grecs-a-l-origine-de-la-celebre-armee-de-terre-cuite-chinois.html
fr.sputniknews.com/sci_tech/201610131028173773-armee-terre-cuite-chine-creee-par-grecs-anciens/
theguardian.com/science/2016/oct/12/ancient-greeks-may-have-inspired-china-terracotta-army-sculptors-ancient-dna
smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/did-greeks-help-sculpt-chinas-terracotta-warriors-180960771/
independent.co.uk/news/science/china-terracotta-army-ancient-greek-sculptors-alexander-the-great-marco-polo-a7357606.html
ibtimes.co.uk/mysterious-chinese-skeletons-ancient-cemetery-shed-new-light-roman-empire-1583008
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serica
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Buddhist_art
japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/10/05/national/history/research-uncovers-evidence-ancient-japan-cosmopolitan-previously-thought/
news.xinhuanet.com/english/2016-10/18/c_135763397.htm
foreignpolicy.com/2016/09/02/did-chinese-civilization-come-from-ancient-egypt-archeological-debate-at-heart-of-china-national-identity/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

please cite your posts

WE

I read it in Guerre & Histoire, a reasonably serious mainstream magazine.
Wait a minute, I'll look it up.

It's covered up to hell by jealous gooks who hate westerners.

WUZ

A bunch of links in french. I'll look for english sources now.
huffingtonpost.fr/2016/10/14/fameuse-armee-de-terre-cuite-chinoise-inspiree-grecs/
maxisciences.com/archeologie/en-chine-l-039-armee-de-terre-cuite-devoile-un-etonnant-secret-aux-archeologues_art38873.html
bluewin.ch/fr/infos/science/2016/10/des-grecs-a-l-origine-de-la-celebre-armee-de-terre-cuite-chinois.html
fr.sputniknews.com/sci_tech/201610131028173773-armee-terre-cuite-chine-creee-par-grecs-anciens/

Finnish DNA doesn't count

It is everywhere on google from october 2016, really. Here are some
theguardian.com/science/2016/oct/12/ancient-greeks-may-have-inspired-china-terracotta-army-sculptors-ancient-dna
smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/did-greeks-help-sculpt-chinas-terracotta-warriors-180960771/
independent.co.uk/news/science/china-terracotta-army-ancient-greek-sculptors-alexander-the-great-marco-polo-a7357606.html

I wonder if that Lost Legion theory is in any way connected to this.

hey thats neat

> Marcus, when do we stop ? I'm tired.
> Me too Lucius. Also I didn't know Brittons had slanting eyes.
> We went too far, Marcus. Too far.
> Never mind, Lucius. Long live SPQR.

>The DNA evidence comes from remains from sites in the Xinjian province dating to the time period of the first emperor.
>Sensationalist garbage
The Qin dynasty never controlled Xinjiang.

There's nothing Greek about the massed produced terracotta warriors.

Ep. 2
> Marcus, wake up.
> What the irrumare, Lucius ? I'm sleeping.
> I can't sleep. Where's your hammer and chisel ?
> Why, Marcus ? You're annoying me.
> Locals want me to portray them. They're already queuing.

They say it proves that european travelled to China, and thus others could have inspired the Qin Emperor.

>They say before the army itself, only 20 cm. scluptures were found in the area and then suddenly, poof, a huge army of magnificent soldiers appeared.
The 20 cm ones was from the Tomb a literally who nobody meh-tier Han Emperor.

The meme Terra Cotta is by Qin Shi Huangdi. The megalomaniacal perfectionist Emperor of Qin who just did the impossible and unified the Huaxia States into one Empire. In addition, liked doing extravagant projects.

Guess who will inspire nicer statues.

Also the Qin Terracotta predated the smaller Han ones. If anything, the Han one represented a decline in making votive statues believed to come to life in the afterlife. Nowadays the Chinese just burn paper figures of stuff to their ancestors. In Hong Kong, they just burn pictures of ads of stuff.

CHANGZ

>They say it proves that european travelled to China
The Qin only controlled the southeastern portion of modern day Gansu,Xinjiang wasn't Chinese.

The Tarim Basin was already inhabited by Indo European speakers prior to Alexander's conquest.

So how can they prove whether the DNA sample came from Greeks or local Indo Europeans?

If it's indo-european then it might aswell be Parthians since they had good relations with the Sinai and exchanged embassies since 100 BC.

Hell, An Shigao, a Parthian prince was the first to translate buddhist text from sanskrit into chinese and helped spread the relgion there while building Buddhist temples around in China.

>European
They mean indo Europe
>DNA found in Xinjiang

>Xinjiang
>Chinese

EVERY GOD DAMN TIME. CAB JEWROPEANS EVEN THINK WITHOUT ADDING THE CONSEPT OF NATION STATES. XINJIANG WAS NOT EXPLORED BEFORE AND BECAME PART OF CHINA DURING THE HAN DYNASTY. HOW DENSE ARE THEY!

Seriously, this pisses me off Xinjiang was not even part, and far away from the Qin Dynasty. These memers can go fuck off.

That being said. It might be some truth to it. Watching the new docmentary callled "Mega tomb reviled" they found a skull with western features, in a mass grave. However, it was mostly Asiatic.

There is not enough archeological evidence to come up with conclusions. But Chinese archeologist and historians are trying to figure out if the Qiang people, neighbors to the Qin Dynasty, might be Hellenistic. And they a keep discovering entreaging finds at the first Emperor tomb site. Not like other retarded people who meme about xinjiang. Miles away from the warring states. But there have been evidence of contact with the aryan tribes i what is now Xinjiang and further west via the Jade trade.

Also the fact that Chinese never made life sizes statues as an argument is retarded.

1. There realistic looking animal sculptures and pottery dating back to the Shang and Zhou
2. NO OTHER SOVEREGIN COULD BE RESPONSIBLE FOR SUCH A HUGE CONSTRUCTION. Technically he was the first Tearch. Becauae he made a title to rival the title Huang皇: Emperor and Di帝: God. Hence HuangDi皇帝.

That being said, another proof there might have been hellenistic influences is another intreaging find. They have fons two sculptures of acrobats, that look nothing like the one constructed for the Emperor, and they were handmade, not like the other statues were each induvidal part was made. You can still see the finger prints on those handmade sculptures. Also their stanse is not so rigged like the other one in the tomb, and they do not wear Chinese clothing or armor either.

Thank you for your insight. It is true that Xinjiang was very far away from the Qin territories.

With no further proof then it is impossible to confirm greek influence - even if it is possible.

Also it's shocking how the articles are presumptuous. See the sputniknews one : "The chinese terra-cotta army created... by ancient Greeks"...

cant ching chang the xiangjiang

They got Khan'd instead.

China is the Great Satan now, shitting on it is greatly upvoted so of course internet media is on it.

>so they found skulls with negroid features near a nubian pyramid
>HOL UP YOU BE SAYIN WE WUZ KANGS N SHEEIIT

>so they found skulls with indo-european features near terra cotta statues in East Turkestan
>YOU HEAR THAT MA, WE WAS GODDAMN EMPRAHS

make it stop

ibtimes.co.uk/mysterious-chinese-skeletons-ancient-cemetery-shed-new-light-roman-empire-1583008
They also found Chinese skeleton in London. It shows that there was more exchange between Europe and Asia in ancient time than we thought.

They also found out that a Persian was probably teaching math in Japan during the Nara period. Lots of amusing discoveries lately.

so Seres is Sericulture land

Seres Kingdom of Tocharians

Sericulture from the word Seres (Seres-culture)

>IE silk!

Seres was a confederacy of Tocharian people, who invented silk and traded it with the Indians, the Chinese and, through the Parthians and later the Sassanid Persians, the Romans.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serica

I always like the story of the Romans that Crassus got rekt by the Parthians finding their way to China as mercenaries. Maybe this is more proof? They already had found DNA in west China.

Source to this? That's awesome.

>autism

>would have learned sculpting skills to the chinese

what did you mean by this?

that the romans taught the chinese how to statue or the opposite (romans learned from chinese)?

>IE invented silk
>Silk fabric was first developed in ancient China.[10][11] The earliest example of silk fabric is from 3630 BC, and it was used as wrapping for the body of a child from a Yangshao site in Qingtaicun at Xingyang, Henan.[10][12]

Pick one

>East Turkstan.
No you stop. That remind me Turks are the worse we WUZers in history.

>claim the pyraminds in china are turkish
>Uyghurs are the oldest civilization and the originator of it with a history of over 6000years

We know the famous statue of Buddha is of Greek origin.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Buddhist_art

Europeans have always valued beauty and creativity.

>lol finns are so funny like one of them who died 80 years ago believed they built the pyramids
>I KNEW IT INDO-EUROPEANS FOUNDED CHINESE CIVILIZATION MUH DICK MUH DICK BIG ARYAN COCKS BUILT THE GREAT WALL THE JEWS ARE TRYING TO HIDE THIS

Not him but

Xinjiang was a Tocharian(R1B-M269(European)) land before the Turks and the Chinese.

WE WUZ QINGZ AND SHEIT

I second

So?
The chinese have always had foreigners living with them. Sogdians, persians, arabs, hindus, etc. Greco-buddhists werent so far away.

Are you new to Veeky Forums?
It clearly means that the emperors of China were all Anglo-Saxons.

apparently, upon intensive research, there is some truth to your statement afterall....

The discovery of a single tiny stone seal (known as the "Anau seal") with geometric markings from the BMAC site at Anau in Turkmenistan in 2000 led some to claim that the Bactria-Margiana complex had also developed writing, and thus may indeed be considered a literate civilization. It bears five markings strikingly similar to Chinese "small seal" characters, but such characters date from the Qin reforms of roughly 100 AD, while the Anau seal is dated by context to 2,300 BCE. It is therefore an unexplained anomaly. The only match to the Anau seal is a small jet seal of almost identical shape from Niyä (near modern Minfeng) along the southern Silk Road in Xinjiang, assumed to be from the Western Han dynasty.[11]

I would consider fully funding this new meme if you can find a way to rhyme poo and loo or something like that

How about: can't Farge cant Enlarge the Tarracarge? Fuck, im bad at this.

>greco-roman would have learned sclupting skills to the chinese
*taught

Can't Yellow the Liao

I swear stormniggers out WE WUZ Afrocentrists.

so u sayin we waz CHING CHONGS N SHIT?

a somewhat tenuous assertion since there's no solid genetic or archaeological evidence definitively linking greece or rome to china to my knowledge

nah, afrocentrists are a billion times worse, and have more support amongst blacks than stormfags do with whites.

I AINT BULLSHITTIN YA

>So they found european DNA in chinese tombs from the times of the terra-cotta army (c. 200 AD)
Sakas, you idiot. They lived in Gansu, the Southern Tarim basin, parts of Mongolia, and so on. There's no reason to bring Greeks into this.

Lost legion is nothing more than fanciful imagination. That famous town called Lijian? Their "white" DNA is from local Sakas.

>They say it proves that european travelled to China
If you consider nomadic Iranians "European"

>Also I didn't know Brittons had slanting eyes.

fuck i lost

Just scanned the thread so pls ignore if someone already said that:
It's not that unlikely since we know of chinese collecting tributes in grecobaktria and grecoroman trade seams likely because of found coins.

>chinese collecting tributes
>because of found coins
What is trade, you intellectual midget

>THE PEOPLE IN ANIME ARE OBVIOUSLY WHITE LOOK AT THEIR NOSES
>THAT ROMAN HAD RED HAIR WE WERE ROMAN EMPRAHS
>GENGHIS HAD RED HAIR WE WERE MONGZ
It's awful.

Chinese didn't even know about the Greco Bactrians until the Han dynasty.

Qin never controlled the Hexi corridor,they would have to go through the Qiang,Wusun and Yuezhi to reach the Tarim Basin.

The Yuezhi or Rouzhi (Chinese: 月氏; pinyin: Yuèzhī; Wade–Giles: Yüeh4-chih1) were an ancient people first reported in Chinese histories as nomadic pastoralists living in an arid grassland area in the western part of the modern Chinese province of Gansu, before the 2nd century BCE.

The central Asian people who called themselves Kushana, who were among the conquerors of the Greco-Bactrian Kingdom during the 2nd century BCE,[27] are widely believed to have originated as a dynastic clan or tribe of the Yuezhi.

The Kushana were an Europoid people, as indicated by the portraits of their kings

The Yuezhi came to be known as Kushan among Western civilizations

Serica was one of the easternmost countries of Asia known to the Ancient Greek and Roman geographers. It is generally taken as referring to North China during its Zhou, Qin, and Han dynasties.

Beginning in the 1st century BC with Virgil, Horace, and Strabo, Roman histories offer only vague accounts of China and the silk-producing Seres of the Far East.

Pliny also reports a curious description of the Seres made by an embassy from Taprobane to Emperor Claudius:
>These people, they said, exceeded the ordinary human height, had flaxen hair, and blue eyes

Nothing to do with anything, please re-read the posts.

>greeks
>european

Pls stop posting off topic. The Yuezhi has nothing to do with it. Except during the Kushan Empire when they adopyed some greek culture and spread Buddhism to China.

Once again off topic. Also you should use Chinese sources. Not romans ones , there are no evidence of them being in china, at least not until the Han Dynasty

stop, really

Romans would have *teached* the chinese

Oh give me a fucking break

>Slightly different genetic grouping than Germanics
>HURR DURR THEYRE BASICALLY ARABS
Fuck off

these are awesome

silk road existed at the time, it allowed most of the mediterranean, central asian, chinese and indian civilizations to prosper.

it was the chinese who founded china but terracotta army is merely western influences in chinese art.

Just google it man
japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/10/05/national/history/research-uncovers-evidence-ancient-japan-cosmopolitan-previously-thought/

europeans and asians have done tight cooperation since the dawn of history.

silk road was the first and the largest trade route there was and all the civilizations there influenced each other.

there were europeans in china as there were chinese in europe.

To be honest, it was mostly an indirect form of contact, with the tribes in between acting as the middlemen. There supposedly was a Roman embassy in China and the Chinese attempted the same in the Roman Empire but it certainly wasn't the case where there would be constant traffic. After all, this was a much different time when such travels would take a very long time.

Realistic, figurative sculpture had flourished in Hellenistic Afghanistan prior to the army being made and around the same the silk road emerged, so contact was likely.

Hence, I'd argue a Hellenistic influence in the army is entirely possible.

the terracotta army was done by mass production, part by part. They would literally have one guy doing the arms, one guy doing the legs etc. Very unlike Western sculpting.

No so true. Ancient statues were sometimes done in different parts, which were fitted together afterwards. The hands, feet and head, most of the time. They could have developed the system for such a demand.

It's probably just shameless WE WUZ-ing

>probably
Even if they had found out that the entire army had been personally sculpted by some Italo-German dude named Augustus Europeanus it would still be shameless WE WUZing.

Xinjiang was not part of China until the Tang dynasty in 620 AD.

And I wouldn't be suprised if the Greeks transfered some skills during the Alexander campaigns. But that seems pointless.

China is the new Russia in Western media. We cold war now

Don't expect honest reporting.

WE WUZ QINGZ

I've read the paper. This is bullshit - they found an isolated seal, but without remains of any associated settlement (because a travelling merchant can't lose a small object during his voyage through a wasteland or something), so they decided that the seal was from the nearest archaeological site.

You know, the impression I got was that the researchers weren't implying that the Chinese were definitely taught how to make the Terracotta Warriors by Greeks, just that there's a possibility that the Terracotta Warriors may have been inspired by Greek sculpting techniques that were transmitted via the Silk Road.

The problem is that Western media hyped the paper (as they usually do with any scientific discovery) to WE WUZ QINZ bullshit.

But when I went on Weibo to see the Chinese reaction, Chinese were arrogantly denying this possibility, as if there's no way muh glorious 5000 year-old civilization could have ever been influenced by foreigners. It's the same attitude that sometimes leads Chinese to deny the Out of Africa theory, cause they don't want to admit they're descended from heigui.

>Chinese were arrogantly denying this possibility
More that the articles reeks of Eurocentrism and disingenuity.

They go as far as misquoting the Chinese archaeologist to lend support to their pet theory. news.xinhuanet.com/english/2016-10/18/c_135763397.htm

>It's the same attitude that sometimes leads Chinese to deny the Out of Africa theory
There was a Chinese WE WUZ EGYPTIANS article that was released earlier this year.

Chinese scholars tried to link ancient China with the Sumerians in the past.

>More that the articles reeks of Eurocentrism and disingenuity. They go as far as misquoting the Chinese archaeologist to lend support to their pet theory. news.xinhuanet.com/english/2016-10/18/c_135763397.htm

Right, I wasn't denying that the articles were Eurocentric, and I'm not surprised that the researcher was misquoted. However, when the BBC article had just come out, most Chinese comments I saw were denying the possibility that the Terracotta Warriors could have been inspired by Greek art, and didn't notice how one of the authors of the paper was Chinese. It's one thing to call out lazy, Eurocentric reporting, it's another thing to arrogantly claim that your culture is 100% original.

ready to get CHINKED white boy?!

/r/AsianMasculinity

>>/r/AsianMasculinity

>>/r/AsianMasculinity

>>/r/AsianMasculinity

>>/r/AsianMasculinity

>There was a Chinese WE WUZ EGYPTIANS article that was released earlier this year.
>Chinese scholars tried to link ancient China with the Sumerians in the past.

Never heard about either of this. Links?

>the researchers weren't implying
Obviously, I thought everyone made it clear that we're talking about shit reporting. It's basically a given in pop science articles.

>most Chinese comments I saw were denying the possibility that the Terracotta Warriors could have been inspired by Greek art
You would have a better argument if the Terracotta warriors were made during the Han dynasty(who had contact with the Greco Bactrians).

The Greco Bactrians would have to traverse the Tarim Basin polities,Wusun,Yuezhi and Qiang to reach the Qin within a span of 40 or so years.

The DNA claim doesn't even make sense when Indo Europeans migrated to Xinjiang several thousands years before the Greeks.

>it's another thing to arrogantly claim that your culture is 100% original.
They don't though. Academics have shown Bronze/ferrous metallurgy,chariots etc. originated further west.

>Egyptians
foreignpolicy.com/2016/09/02/did-chinese-civilization-come-from-ancient-egypt-archeological-debate-at-heart-of-china-national-identity/

>Sumerians
Don't have the books with me but there were attempts to link Huang Di to Mesopotamians in the 20th century.