/domg/ - Dominions General

thingken of lizards edition

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.
The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 3000 units, 900 spells and 400 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.
It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.
Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/wjbSA98Y

>Drawfaggotry
dominionsdraws.imgur.com/

>DOMINIONS 5 IS OUT.

>Where do I get it?
Currently only available on Steam.
store.steampowered.com/app/722060/Dominions_5__Warriors_of_the_Faith/

>Manual
illwinter.com/dom5/dom5manual.pdf
illwinter.com/dom5/dom5tables.pdf

>Mod inspector
larzm42.github.io/dom5inspector/

>Multiplayer guide
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1212948582

>Debug mod
dropbox.com/s/oo492x2cs8vag34/debug509.zip?dl=0

>How do I change the fonts?
Replace guifont.ttf, guifont_fancy.ttf and guifont_texty.ttf in the game's 'data' folder (C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Dominions5\data usually).

>Is there an easier way to play multiplayer?
rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/dominions-4-pbem-manager-new-stuff.104015/
Works for Dominions 5 just as well.

>Completed games
Submit them here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeuclmaCiRo8vcTztsKjPJxnBgRDE-E1uNvE5j0x5wDZMMhRA/viewform
Results:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OxILAa3Y_O7Vk2NFhKAAQfStHqh1WJXMkGCim9sQ_ns/edit#gid=1292233344

>OP pastebin
Just copypaste it and link the previous thread below.
pastebin.com/RbFWcFcU

>Previous Pantokrator:

Attached: playing ctis.jpg (752x564, 69K)

Other urls found in this thread:

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=EAxtraPretenders
discord.gg/WQWJTrM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

first for late age rain priests

Attached: 1466218299968.png (500x375, 287K)

Magic Enhanced is out. That could be cool.

Someone wanted to make a Rance mod. I'm pretty interested in that.

What's everyone else hyped for mod wise?

Not going to do a single one of my 9 turns tonight lads.

In that case I'm going AI

Boosters don't stack, right?

Different ones can

What Bless Strategies scale into the lategame the best?

Ones with fort rec or summonable sacreds. Cap only sacreds will end up being less and less of your overall force as your empire grows so the bless becomes less meaningful.

What are some youtube video series of someone in Multiplayer where they end up winning? Preferably non Blitz games.

t. ModalVerbs Ctis

AI on turn 9. Shoulda seen it coming from someone who named their pretender Gay Retard

Reinvigoration! Map movement! Blood surge is not worth it though, it can't even make the unit's heart race when he smashes a skelebong.

Elemental resistances, +str, and reinvig seem like the most useful later on. +att/+def are always good, but harder to notice.

But ultimately, the best bless is the one that let you snowball so that you have more stuff in the lategame

To the guy who asked last thread, singleplayer is for dumb assholes like me who are figuring out how to play the game step-by-step. I just learned that I should prioritize researching magic, should have more than 50 research points, and that I should bring mages into battle to support my armies.

>The 1 recpoint mages, while amazing at research, are also heretics. Thus they do not benefit from magic scales.
Do heretics really not benefit from positive scales?

They'd make it harder to keep up your dominion, but if the province has already changed to magic 3 I don't think scales go away at 0 dom.

>They'd make it harder to keep up your dominion, but if the province has already changed to magic 3 I don't think scales go away at 0 dom.
If you're building enough of them to effect your research, whatever province their in will have zero dominion for sure. You are right about the scales not changing though so it might not matter.

Now that it's out, I'm planning on doing a small nationgen game for the people last thread asking for one.

Speaking of which, what settings do you guys want?

Current plan is MA, 'strong' sacreds, and to generate a pool of 30 nations for a game of 10. That should be enough for everyone to find something interesting to play.

I'm going to try changing chance to equal for all races like the guy last thread suggested, assuming I can get it to work without breaking everything.

Will someone with 2 Bottles of Living Water have a retinue of 2 water elementals, or do they not stack?

>gonna have some arena fun

Oh, and do the Boots of Quickness stack with a Quickness bless? How about a Pendant of Luck with the Luck bless?

Most times the same item or effect doesn't stack, but bottles of water are an exception.

No to both of those.

Considering everything is still in beta phases why not do hyper big sacreds? I always want to see how ridiculous Natgen can be pushed

Not the guy you're replying to, but the problem with giving everyone super strong sacreds is that it causes the game to turn into a blessrush race where the only aspect of the nation that really matters is who has the most broken sacreds.

>MA
Do EA so we get more of the cool races.

Just set indie strength to 9 then or something.

Why don't I ever see people using the Heart Finder Sword? It looks really strong, isn't that an insta-kill?

MR negates.

You'll want to set all the racial odds to the same number anyway to prevent the game from being 80% humans, at which point it doesn't really matter what era you play in other than what kind of indies will show up.

Doesn't that still make it basically a Soul Slay on hit?

If you are getting melee hits in, you can do better than a soulslay

Yes, but if you can spend blood slaves on making that you probably have better options, blood has a lot of ways to kill single targets that don't rely on getting a melee hit and passing an MR check

how's the fewgoodmen game going?

>my closest ally turns out to be a colossal moron
>the guy I considered to be my primary enemy is actually a really nice guy and is helping me out against my other enemies

Attached: abstract feel.jpg (680x684, 37K)

Ermor is AI and has like 2 provinces left.
Asphodel is getting gangbanged by Agartha and Man.

Soon all the cancer will be gone and we can have a proper game.

I got it for free

Make the primary enemy the hero, become his sidekick and turn your closest ally into your comic relief or a mascot.

Attached: 66308150_p2.jpg (638x889, 421K)

>Asphodel is getting gangbanged by Agartha and Man.
Hold on. I won't deny that I have no counter to Agartha but Man poses absolutely no threat to me. R'lyeh cost me far more in terms of gold and gems than Man did and if Agartha wasn't in the picture I still think I'd win 2v1 against Man and his squid (for now) """friends""".

I have it on good authority that someone's fucking Agartha's shit right now.

Why do all generic unit summon spells that aren't blood seem garbage?

So I went and tried a decent number of nations with each of the different sacred options.

So far strong has the most consistent results for me on making sacreds which could potentially see use. Normal tends to make generic units with a sacred tag and insane tends to make massively expensive units with a bunch of crap you don't want.

If you still feel otherwise, though, I'm happy to pick one of the other options.

I'll be generating nations and setting a game up tomorrow when I get home, so you have about a day if you want to do some of your own testing.

I've done and removed all era based chanceinc entries (plus set base chance for all races to 0.5).

I believe that will make all races equally likely regardless of what era we go with.

Elves?

>wolves
>wights
>vine ogres
>uniques (kangz/queenz)
>bishop fish
>magi (sea king/troll king/koktyaiad/naiad/flame spirit)
>wraith lords
>mound fiends
>longdead horsemen
>black hawks
I'm sure I'm forgetting plenty.

It's either Vanheim (makes some sense, I haven't seen him at war with anybody so far) or Agartha himself saying he's under attack to make himself look less threatening. Jotun doesn't even share a border with Agartha, Man and R'lyeh are all tied up with me and Ulm only controls his cap (staled last turn btw). Nazca is gone, Ermor just AI'd and suicided its army into Jotun's. That accounts for all 9 players.

Vanheim was partially responsible for the ruin of Ermor.

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=EAxtraPretenders

Shilling this game again, lets get at least 10 players. Map is placeholder, of course, and so are thrones.

You guys want me to add Magic Enhanced since the new version just released? It's already a memegame due to pretender mod so might as well meme it up, right?

Attached: 1514317215099.jpg (640x822, 278K)

Actually, only Ermor and C'tis are responsible for the ruin of Ermor, after that either everything stays as ruined for Ermor as since the aformentioned Ermorian ruinfication by decadent Ermorian men of magic (taught by C'tissian rapist necromancers) or actually IMPROVES.
So here, let me correct your
>Vanheim was partially responsible for the ruin of Ermor
that you so thoughtlessly wrote down and submitted on the net:
*Vanheim was partially responsible for the improvement of Ermor.

Attached: druiden_intro.jpg (431x500, 19K)

If you follow the reply chain you'll notice we're actually talking about a specific, ongoing pbem game of Dominions 5, not the overarching lore of Dominions in general. There isn't even a C'tis in that game.

If you follow lore you'll notice that Vanheim has nothing to do with Ermor and that I am actually talking about a specific, ongoing pbem game of Dominions 5.

Attached: 1476056957871.png (549x464, 186K)

Here's a picture of a toaster.

Attached: prod_1485509212.jpg (1900x1900, 162K)

See, now that's a factually correct statement. But calling a beatdown on the evil skelebongs anything like "ruin" is just rot and nothing more.

Attached: 1482175286579.png (540x622, 183K)

When I'm thinking of playing multiplayer I pick a nation and then write down every spell and item both useful to them and castable by them in a spreadsheet. Once this is done it's much easier to compare similar things and eliminate the less efficient one. Once that's done I look for what spells and items would best support the nation, and then plan the pretender around that.
How do you prepare?

I pick the best nation evar and just roll with it.

Here is a picture of a microwave oven.

That's very smart. I'm going to do that from now on.

Attached: microwave.jpg (450x450, 20K)

I'm a lot more lazy.

Pick out a few important low-research spells for early research goals and decide on one to be the first research goal.

Practice expansion with varying levels of bless/scales to see how they compare. Pick an option with at least decent expansion.

Build a pretender using required bless/scales for expansion and lowest acceptable dominion. Use up extra points, in rough order of benefit.

Double check over things, make sure I have a plan for midgame and lategame and that my expansion still works with final pretender build. Tweak pretender if I see some way to make an improvement.

Everything after that I usually do as the game progresses.

I'm confiscating your Enter key.

>Reddit spacing
Didn't bother reading

The pretenders I have in my current games are all absolutely fucking retarded and I wish I had the foresight to do what you do. Since they all started months ago I can now see how misguided my ideas were back then and if I had the option to I would go back and change my designs in to something that would significantly improve the chances of winning the games I'm in. The trouble is that there are so many different nations in Dominions and games are started so infrequently and take so long to complete; it's easy to succumb to fomo and just submit a half baked pretender to a game to make sure no one else nabs your nation or nabs your spot in the game.

It feels impossible to efficiently test a pretender design for pbem due to the sheer scope of the game.

Single player is only good for the first 12 turns of the game and blitzes are most certainly not representative of the pbem environment. For one physical and mental fatigue play a much greater role in blitz than they do in pbem and blitzes generally work only for smaller games on smaller maps which certainly favors some nations or strategies over others. The point is that you're right and I wish that your sentiment was more obvious to more players to facilitate higher level games.

Write some guides dude.

>Since they all started months ago I can now see how misguided my ideas were back then
That's why you not only make these notes, but amend them as you play.
>It feels impossible to efficiently test a pretender design for pbem due to the sheer scope of the game.
Maybe not efficiently, but single player games let you prove concepts at least. You could also play as multiple nations if you need really specific things to test, like anti-thug tactics.
>Write some guides dude.
Oh god no, I'm fucking garbage.

How would you take down SC's like Melqarts and the like? Those things are insane.

It depends

Swarm

Send them to hell or ice hell, no rolls required.

Are gelatinous cubes worth the water gems? Size 4 tramplers with a bunch of resistances seems great. Back them up with Wooden Warriors and they should melt chaff and block decent units. What are the downsides besides 4 gems per unit? Is it simply not worth that much? I suppose that would be an easy thing to argue, as you could have a naid for less than 10 and a queen of elemental water for less than 13.

They are alright, but the fuckers can barely move.
Mine always ended up stuck behind a bunch of friendlies and never really doing much.

It depends on your water income since water has several good summons, like sea trolls which regen and can be massed a bit easier since you don't summon them one at a time. Much more gem efficient.

The cubes are not bad at all though, but a bit more situational due to their cost.

Your turns
Do them
You know who you are

I can't do my new turn when I already sent my file but you still haven't.

wew, all that for some gems and all of my comm slaves

Attached: 20180319103702_1.jpg (1920x1080, 230K)

How much PD? They killed way more than 7 guys.

the city pallisade fort defense, which is about 7 guys

Attached: 20180319103706_1.jpg (1920x1080, 220K)

wew lad.

I did blow like 20 gems on battlemagic, but the alternative was losing.

20 gems is not that much to spend on a decisive battle

How the fuck do I manage magical troops if my best leader starts with 30 m-ldr and I spawn 9/t?

I think there are some magic items that give you magic leadership. Failing that you could try summoning magic commanders. I think the sleeper is a good one but its been a while since I checked.

What did you cast?

There's one unique one I have access to
It gives 25
There's an astral one but Ur doesn't have astral

Enslave spam if I had to guess

Mass protection, mass regeneration, serpents blessing, frost fend, relief, light of the north star, howl, foul vapors, grip of winter, antimagic, solar brilliance, etc

Admittedly, the last one was a bit of an error. Oh well, I scored 20+ gems of boosters as loot.

Solar brilliance is so garbage holy shit.

I thought it'd be okay because I saw the wights and ghosts. Really wasn't worth my 5 pearls.

So transformation doesn't appear to remove upkeep anymore

Attached: brfmFQy.png (753x306, 355K)

Scratch that, I suck cocks
He turned into a boar with 0 upkeep

How exactly do you figure out the likelihood of getting a certain set of paths? I seem to remember you're supposed to figure the chance of something not happening but it's been quite some time since I did anything with statistics.

Attached: to_bad_it_was_a_fugin_test_game.png (865x864, 639K)

Trolls are unusual in that they're summoned creatures that still require upkeep. And rather a lot of it as well. Transforming into a troll means they pay troll upkeep, but transforming into pretty much anything else removes the upkeep.

Each level is independent.
Each has a 33% each of +1 ESD, 50% of ED, and 15%/4 chance of WESD

"and" probabilities are multiplicative, while "or" probabilities are additive

So the chance of her getting 4D is (1/3)*(1/2)*(1/4)*(.15) or something like .625%

If you're asking what the odds are of all three randoms coming up D, it's 0.625%. In other words, only one in 160 recruits (on average) will get D4.

>not str
What the fuck

Que?

Sorry mate, was in a hurry when I did the last turn and forgot to send the item, I'll send it this turn.

What's the most fun stuff in Magic Enhanced

Mud Men spam with MA Xibalba

Just decided to check out the steam chat again
It's dead now

Attached: 21b5cb49e28b2c30909f9618c0e113b4a1dc894361e7170c81e7de961c4fe09a.png (480x480, 254K)

The Steam group has been dead for a while, everyone moved to Discord.

What's the discord address

discord.gg/WQWJTrM

what are the best options for people's death match as MA Mictlan? I got the 3-month warning about it, and whoever I send I can give the stereotypical turbobless via shroud and a couple of water bottles for retinue, but I only have conj 5/ench 7/thau 5 as far as useful summoning schools.

Why don't you have blood, you fool!? Summon an Ozelotl and GoR it.

I stormed without transferring gems because I was rushing my turn, so only the shadowblasters with leftover gems still did as they were supposed to. Turns out battlemagic that costs gems is PRETTY GOOD

Can you summon a Treelord? They're probably your best bet, even though they won't have your bless.