/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

(((Elf))) edition

Previous thread >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.44.07.
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
github.com/Dwarf-Therapist/Dwarf-Therapist/releases

>DFHack (Alpha for 44.07):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164123
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Legends Viewer:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154617.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11455

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Attached: 1511567214158.jpg (1000x722, 126K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rvJsG4F2Img
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Stone_layers
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Aquifer#The_modding_method
youtube.com/watch?v=pISzxdEgDCU
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=150534.0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Big
Dorf
Benis

Elves don't even dare attack themselves, they make sure all their animal slaves die for their trees then them themselves run away and screech at you for cutting down trees.

There are five children caught underground under a crushing larder slide, on the other end of the fort there is a webbed legendary leather worker about to be the next meal of a named GCS. He also married to your legendary blacksmith who also leads the blacksmiths guild.

One of the mother to the children is single and got the most fabulous beard in the entire fort

You may only save one, choose wisely

Attached: AgeOfGoblin.jpg (1337x1920, 464K)

now I am trying a starting-7-only fort (still no trading). there is a Tower and Goblins nearby. hopefully we can get suited up and trained before glow in the dark zombie niggers arrive.

So tell me, why is it that elven caravans never bring anything that is considered "food" by the elves?

Attached: 1434010697677.jpg (1000x829, 164K)

They love flesh too much to ever trade it

>mfw elves
youtube.com/watch?v=rvJsG4F2Img

>Stockpiling stone is a noob trap. Either learn to love the look of it lying around everywhere or d b h.
Yeah right. Just get used to have a slow as fuck steel industry. And get used to have slow as fuck masonry. If only there were some sort of tool to increase the efficiency of stone hauling. But damn, there's no way something like that exists.

Well goblins at least put up a better fight.

>when you use elven shields against them

Find some sick joke about it personally.

A Weremonitor decided to visit me as I was under siege by some goblins. They of course killed it but several of them were infected, some of the infected once retreated after a while.

While the infection now be simulated in their home civilization?

Attached: longdonglizard.png (1770x882, 43K)

Makes sense, but it also sometimes means that there is ZERO flux though. Read: it's bugged. I always use prospect all in DFHack after embarking so I'd know.

What are exactly 'deep metals'. I assume those are gems as well.

Deep metals just means there are metals that are several z-levels below the surface. It doesn't tell you what type of metals there are. The embark information by default isn't really that helpful except to tell you whethere there's (1) sand (2) aquifers (3) clay. You need prospect all on dfhack to know more useful details.

Several how many?
What's shallow metals then? Just metals that are directly available on cliffs and stuff?
I always thought "shallow" was like over the first cavern and "deep" under it, or something like that.

Shallow metals are in the sedimentary or igneous extrusive layer. This is were you find iron, so shallow metals are generally more important.

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Stone_layers

Some nice art's popping up on the Bay12 forums.

Attached: Cacame Awemedinade.jpg (900x695, 140K)

>not even tetrahedrite
>rich in gems

This gonna be a close off and die in greed kind of fort.

Attached: 1424903393875.jpg (1024x768, 248K)

Trade gem crafts/prepared meals for metal, weapons and armor from caravans, then mass fortress wealth, build stone fall traps and prepare multiple magma smelters for the inevitable arrival of goblinite.

>tfw you figure out quantum stockpiles with minecarts and hauling routes
The true ascended way to deal with stone boulders

Attached: 1513505377647.jpg (251x201, 14K)

My nigger. Three stone stockpiles with 9 wheelbarrows feeding into one quantum stockpile makes for efficient stone hauling. Or, if you're playing the latest versions, just one medium sized stockpile with n-1 wheelbarrows, where n is the total number of tiles in the stockpile.

>latest versions
You mean DFHack? I think the wheelbarrow limit is still 3 on vanilla.

Oh, that was due to DFHack? The last version I played was 0.40 so I assumed Toady made some sensible changes to hauling 0.44.

Read the post he replied to. Masonry has nothing to do with stone in the hallways, unless you're literally running out of stone.

I need the baby pre-packed with everyting + tileset pack or else I can't play DF

Good question.
I have no idea.
But I know that apparently the infection can spread like crazy if you play as an adventuremode werebeast.

Is there something I have to change in a save file for it to be compatible from 44.05 to 44.07? Or will it pick it up by default?

Okay here's a spoonfeed for you because I was once in the same place until I got impatient and just fucked around
- Download latest starter pack, we will be using this as a reference/resource, no we are not merging.
- Download latest Dwarf Fortress
- Download latest DFHack and slam it into your new dwarf fortress
- Download latest TWBT and slam it into your DFHack's plugin folder (hack>plugins) Move all of the .pngs into data>art.
- Look in starter pack folder>LNP>Keybinds and pick the keybinds you want. Replace the interface.txt in data>init in new DF folder with the keybinds you want.
- Look in LNP>graphics folder for tileset you like, slam the contents into your new DF folder.
- Start LNP and make the settings/changes you want, then find "init.txt" and "d_init.txt" in the LNP's Dorf folder (data>init) and move those to your new Dorf folder in data>init. Replace. (If you want to be safe, read the init txt files and copy the things you want directly into the new DF's init files instead of replacing them. This is what I did, but I don't think it should break if you just replace)
- For disabling aquifers, just use "drain-aquifer" in DFHack, or use this guide to remove them from raws: dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Aquifer#The_modding_method
- Copy dfhack.init and onLoad.init in starter pack's DF folder and move it to your new DF's folder, add in commands you need/want (like labormanager/autolabor if you use those) If you use TWBT's multilevel, put in "multilevel 5" into onLoad.init via notepad
- Get ingame for new dorf, press escape, change keybinds, set keybinds for raiding options in Dwarf Mode>World:Pillage etc

youtube.com/watch?v=pISzxdEgDCU

I'll save the legendary leather worked of course

For trying to get someone into DF, would you recommend they get their feet wet with something like Rimworld first or just go right for DF?

They're different games so I'd just start with DF.

Rimworld and DF are very different, just grab the DF starter pack despite it being for a slightly earlier version. Look up some tutorials on youtube. It's just a lot to learn at first and the UI is crappy. Once you get through learning the UI and keeping your fort fed and drunk, you'll be fine and free to experiment plenty.

Can confirm. Over the last few days I've been playing it for the first time and I've been having a blast now that I know the bare basics. You started develop a sort of intuition for its systems, oddly enough

At first I was absolutely bewildered about how complex it seemed to get military squads up and running for example, but now it seems second nature and makes sense to me. But then I look at this infographic and wonder "damn that sounds very hard on face value".

Attached: N59eeQz.jpg (1156x3832, 387K)

>a bunch of tiny haulers vs a dwarf worth his weight in steel
Is this supposed to be hard?

*start to

Legendary dorfs are the objectively right answer

Damn I guess solving the trolley problem in DF is very simple

>TWBT
Thanks for reminding me to grab that.

By any chance, does anyone know what's the basic font in this?

Attached: matrix800x600 - Copy.png (160x192, 5K)

The only problem about hte military screen is figuring out which types of armor you should be assigning. Is it good enough if I just give them the metal armor default uniform?

Holy fuck I just realised there's fucking mouse controll in the military screen.

Literally on the wiki

Attached: Armor_Coverage_Chart.png (1053x745, 154K)

My question is, is this missing anything?

Attached: armor.png (489x185, 7K)

No. For one thing the defaults allow bucklers and caps, which only have a 50% chance of intercepting an attack. Shields and helms.

Attached: 1495287514364.jpg (1600x900, 324K)

It's missing the part where you tell dwarves to replace clothing with armor and the part where you remove the shield and make them dual-wield swords for that extra edgyness

Wait, what? Does it make things easier or clunkier?

On a tangential note, this should be mandatory reading for all military matters.
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=150534.0

You're missing chainmail. Also you don't really want individual choice melee, or they'll go grab silly weapons like adamantine hammers or silver battle axes. Likewise, you'll generally want to specify the exact type of armor/headwear. Also what said.

>replacing clothing with armor
Why even wear armor?

To look cool in parades

Is this TOO much?

Doesn't seem to mention chain mail at all.

Attached: armor2.png (446x223, 7K)

Too much armor will weigh down your dwarves, causing them to act much slower.

Once they get a couple of levels in armor user that won't be a problem.

This is pretty much maximum coverage. I think chain leggings overlap with greaves though, so you just want greaves for the legs.

read bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=150534.0
>four years of training which had everything at Legendary+5, and armor user was still at 6 ...

Best not to specify the material I think. They will generally choose the better armors when they're available, so setting it to steel only prevents them from wearing bronze, etc. when there isn't enough steel armor to go around.

Helms cover the entire head so caps give little to no additional protection. Greaves cover legs so chain leggings are nearly useless.

Hm good point.

Are additional layers of armor useless?

>inb4 all armor is useless because force transition

>goblins
>not savage, brutish, and oppressive

In the case of chain leggings, they occupy the same layer slot as greaves, so assigning both greaves and chain leggings to a given dwarf will cause him to equip only one of the two. Better to just assign greaves, which are a straight upgrade.

Also, additional layers of armor aren't really useless, but beyond helm-breastplate-chainmail-gauntlet-greaves-high boot, your additional layers are all comprised of cloth items that don't really do very much.

They may be violent brutes, but they aren't what one would consider savage - they have some form of culture. Plus they make actual buildings and know metallurgy, unlike elves.

Their culture is literally "do whatever you want, only the strongest survive", they don't even care what race you are - not what one could consider "oppressive" either, though admittedly it is the other extreme end.

Basically Ancapistan

Attached: ancap.jpg (960x803, 187K)

In the same thread someone says "Also in my experience armor user trains up far faster after giving them full armor, though still quite of slowly."

Armor user might be slow to train but they'll gain levels eventually, combine that with the increased strength they got from leveling up combat skills and the encumbrance penalty shouldn't be too bad. You could also make armor out of something extremely light, that way they wouldn't even need armor user.

Weird that tells you to get BOTH leggings and greaves then. Should have maybe been an or not an and?

>leggings AND greaves
>helmet AND cap
>Low boot or high boot
>remember to specify materials
It's either for a really old version where that stuff was a necessity, or more likely, it's just shit.

Shields made out of elves?

So I'm browsing my stocks screen and see a bunch of Fs for forbidden items. Can I just claim it or is it possible that these belong to visitors who I would then strip naked?

Expand it and view where the items are

Hmm, kidnapping is actually a JOB in code, maybe it is possible to implement kidnapping in adv mode via scripts. Also there might be possibility for self-medicine.

explain both please

More like just regular anarchistan. Pretty sure they don't have any kind of organized economy.

Attached: 1479609626879.jpg (344x438, 50K)

Additional layers are not useless, just not nowhere near as useful as the first one. Sure, you can wear them but they're going to slow down and tire out your dwarves.

Is it just me or does Taffer actually look WORSE than default ASCII?

ITT we post:
>The longest time a fort of yours survived
>What brought it down or at what point you stopped playing it

You'll get a lot of "FPS death" and "Boredom" answers to the second question.

Is FPS death an issue even for people with alright computers and not laptops? I've never had the sort of slideshow people talk about, then again I've never gone too crazy

PICK ONE

Rectangle ASCII
Square ASCII

Attached: 1512344798075.jpg (378x378, 19K)

Does elf equipment have special attributes or is it just straight up shitty wood armor and wood swords?

Square
rectangle triggers my autism something fierce because it's uneven

The latter.

Attached: 1521239480681.png (500x667, 281K)

>Square ASCII
That is not even a question.

If you have 100+ dwarves, plenty of livestock, magma and water pumps and a big fortress with many items, you certain will experience it.

Square. My geometry/symmetry autism is stronger than my typography autism.

Do you use Curses16x16 or what?
It seems too big to me since I'm used to vanilla Curses800x600

Do you have 1080p monitors or what size?

I use this Taffer one

Attached: taffer.png (320x320, 11K)

Can dwarves randomly pick up weapons and shields?
I changed my squads' uniforms, but they're not switching to new weapons.

I have 1920x1200, and use 18x18. On my netbook, I use 10x10 or 12x12.
There are dozens of ASCII tilesets of different sizes on the tileset repository.

>no idea
>I had one fort die to a werebeast when I didn't know what they were, for all the others it's boredom and/or fps

Square graphical tileset

What is your favorite color scheme?
If you post a homemade one you have to post the txt and a screenshot

Snackfox's color scheme at the moment
Really good since the black doesn't rape your eyes.
Though I might modify it later myself, the reds and pinks are too similar.

Attached: ASCII tilesets.png (5112x2860, 3.49M)

This but unironically

Is it possible to train your trader relevant skills through other thing than trading?

Maybe by making your broker a bar tender at a tavern so he practices social skills? Or does that not work very well?

What do you have your brokers do between trade caravans? I assume they're not twiddling their thumbs.

They're managers, bookkeepers or something similar.

How do I make one workshop use exclusively one type of stone(/seed/plant/etc)? Somebody here said it was doable with dfhack, but I can't figure it out.

restrict workshop to take only from specific stockpile. restrict stockpile to take only specific type of stone.

Sorry, figured it out, kind of.
Never noticed the "details" bit. On the other hand, I don't particularly fancy doing that for every task individually.

So there's no dfhack... hack that allows you to do differently, without a custom stockpile?

Rectangular. Because it's right.

Squares are right too

How would a dfhack setting for every workshop be less tedious than having a stockpile for every workshop?
And I have no idea, I don't use dfhack. The dfhack documentation is available online though, so just check there.

Yeah, except they're not though, are they?