> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
freemusicarchive.org
incompetech.com/music
fantasymusica.org

> How to Webm
obsproject.com
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Attached: 1521466796182.png (629x430, 528K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-L-WgKMFuhE
lemmyrodul.com
youtube.com/watch?v=09AwSZIk1xY
sonniss.com/gameaudiogdc18/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Is this what it's like having normie friends who always bring up the kardashians

yanderedev did nothing wrong

brainlets are obsessed with gossip and other people. just ignore them.

Retards discuss ideas.

Geniuses discuss people.

Elder gods discuss farts

I have a two-room application in GM:Studio, both rooms have a surface object each. Would anyone know why the surface in the second room would happen to draw the information drawn to the first room's surface? It seems like the surface in the first room draws a black screen and this is kept by the second surface (despite it being told to clear the surface and not being told to draw anything), making the player unable to see what they're doing.

You can't have multiple rooms open simultaneously to my knowledge.

...Are the rooms persistent?

come to sleep user. you've done enough.

Attached: doggo.jpg (612x612, 35K)

soon my friend

Attached: untitled.png (960x540, 40K)

it's 5:24 pm and I'm at work. I haven't done nearly enough at all today.
>tfw writing down ideas on paper because you can't code.

>plays your game
Hmm
>stops playing your game

>plays your game wrong
Wow, this game is weird haha

Attached: paper_peach_poot__paper_mario__by_miscbrrts-da2vr26[1].png (1000x1000, 249K)

git gud

>>plays your game wrong
designers fault.

>tfw no qt artist to dev with

Attached: 1349329199199.jpg (400x600, 17K)

updated UI, barricades, spells do damage now and cost mana

going to implement enemy movement next, which is harder than it looks because of my tiling movement system

Attached: mage simulator v1.1.webm (768x432, 1.87M)

actually true.

>5:24 pm
CET nigger

David Cage pls go

quality thread

>which is harder than it looks because of my tiling movement system
user c'mon, tiles make pathfinding easier if anything.

eat my baguette

*watches your movie wrong*
cage doesn't make games.

>user c'mon, tiles make pathfinding easier if anything.
how

geez I dunno
youtube.com/watch?v=-L-WgKMFuhE

No, he's the perfect designer since he leaves no room for "wrong things"

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Monospaced Lovers
Dev: Scarlet String Studios
Tools: Unity
Web: N/A
Progress:
+ Debugged VN-style dialogue system
+ Added functionality to text message system
- Text message system is still half broken
- Need to make sure my save files can track all of this text

Attached: agdg-recap.png (1280x720, 76K)

I love heavy rain and wish I had a mocap studio so I could make something similar

that would be true if he actually made games.
But it's pretty hard to fuck up interactive movies.

And enough with the side-tracking, for the most part if people play your game wrong, that's on you. But at the same time it also entirely depends on the game, and how they're playing it vs it should be played. If they play it and don't like it, please don't be that naive dev who says they're playing it wrong.

>Need to make sure my save files can track all of this text
can't you just have an array like:
1 - 1
2 - 3
3 - 1
4 - 0
5 - 0
the index being the choice ID, and the var being the selected choice (0 being "choice not made yet") shouldn't be hard to convert an 1D array into a string for storage in a save file. "1,3,1,0,0"

Neither room is persistent, the game goes from the first to the second. There's an object for each room that creates and draws the surface but neither of those are persistent either. I'm worried it's some kind of video memory thing because that's well outside my understanding - two people have streamed the game and found remnants of freed surfaces pop up in existing ones until those existing ones are refreshed.

Don't you ever, EVER tell me how to play your game

You're not my target audience anyway, I will not allow you to play my game

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Unnamed Platformer/RPG Hybrid
Dev: user
Tools: GMS2
Web: n/a
Progress:
+ Got 9-sliced animated windows working
+ Basic cutscene/dialogue system working
- Haven't figured out how to have more than one window open at once without using multiple objects yet
- Same thing with loading text from external files
- Really starting to slow down on how much work I'm getting done

Attached: progress 5.png (640x480, 10K)

I'M JUST SAYING, PLEASE STOP BITING THE CONTROLLER DAMMIT

From what I know of surface, they tend to disappear for no reason. there are game maker functions that allow you to buffer them.

oh, I will, but not through words oh no, you'll spontaneously understand the way my game is meant to be played through trial and error.

>Would anyone know why the surface in the second room would happen to draw the information drawn to the first room's surface?
you've got to change the surface index when you switch rooms, i had this problem with my shadow surface for seasons past

Attached: Seasons Past v46 DD16 WEBM.webm (768x432, 1.94M)

I trolled /v/ a couple times as a gamedev looking for ideas on how to stop players who are bad at my game from playing it
locking them into cartoonishly simple tutorials, straight up offering a refund, locking them out of it and asking for a mailed 2-5 page essay on how they intend to improve, etc

When playing a game, I like to place myself in the mind of someone who can't read english (which isn't hard considering how many japanese games I've played despite being unable to understand them) basically that game is lacking intuitive narrative. Too much important info is said in text instead of shown.

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Cash Sample
Dev: SlowDancer
Tools: RPG Maker MV, Photofiltre, Cubase 8, Internet, Water, Faith
Web: lemmyrodul.com
Progress:
+ Hacking Minigame: GFX
+ Hacking Minigame: some coding
+ Usable Phone proto
+ Recap guy not ded
- Could have progress better, but reasons

Attached: Cash Sample Recapp.jpg (416x234, 22K)

i stopped working on that game, i was only posting it to show two different shadow surfaces when i switch rooms (unfortunately isn't in the webm)

this is my new game

On that note, how did you do pathfinding in your previous game? Did you use built-in functions? Or were your enemies mindlessly walking toward the player?

Every time I think I have a good story I think of all the cringey mods I played for TES or Kotor and realize it's probably more like those

>implying that TES lore isn't fanfiction-tier to begin with.

>Or were your enemies mindlessly walking toward the player?
my enemies fired projectiles at the player and then ran towards the location where the bullets connected

I see this game on the recap a lot but I don't think I've seen it in-game
Have I just missed it or what

>you've got to change the surface index when you switch rooms, i had this problem with my shadow surface for seasons past
Do you mean using "surface reset target" (I've been using that after writing to the surface and before drawing it to the application_surface), or writing something like "surface_set_target(application_surface)", or am I supposed to be looking at another variable?

What has good lore then?

There are lots of games with trash stories that people forget about because of nice details inside them.

you assign the surface a name when you create it right?

justchange that name to a number and then go

"surface_number++" or whatever the code is to add 1, can't remember what that is, when you switch rooms

So zombie + line of sight then (unless your "bullets" could bounce on surfaces or something).
Once you're done with your tile-based game's pathfinding you'll understand why the pathfinding of enemies in good games tend to produce an imaginary grid so it can approach from different direction/from a path that lets it reach the player faster.

>two variables for one job
please stop

I made a shitty demo for last demoday. I'd say it's good you did not see anything yet.

But yeah I did not post a lot of progress, I don't like the current state of what I do.

Attached: Cash Sample - Phone WiP1.webm (960x540, 618K)

Nothing is fundamentally good or bad, it's a matter of perspective from your audience. You're bound to find something cringy if you're already expecting it to be cringy.

>the pathfinding of enemies in good games tend to produce an imaginary grid so it can approach from different direction/from a path that lets it reach the player faster.
hey man my system more or less worked
it's one variable, a number

Dune

aixels
bixels
cixels
dixels
eixels
fixels
gixels
hixels
iixels
jixels
kixels
lixels
mixels
nixels
oixels
pixels
qixels
rixels
sixels
tixels
uixels
vixels
wixels
xixels
yixels
zixels

Added a cupboard and cups (models aren't mine), the hinged door grabbing works pretty decently despite me not doing hinge-specific grabbing code.
Removing the bottom shelves and letting the player hide inside could be fun.

Attached: Oblivion Thief - Cups and Cupboards.webm (1280x720, 2.88M)

no seriously what are rimixels? It was mentionned last thread and I'm pretty sure it's a term that was invented here.

So I know what mixel is but is there other legit (x)xels?

>moxels

How is this going to perform on full scale levels though?

>>surface_free(surface_HUD);
>>surface_HUD = real(surface_HUD);
>>surface_HUD++;
this should about work right

Implemented a new (sub)class of weapon: the katana. Because obviously the game needed katanas.

It uses the same basic combo set as swords, though it opens with an additional draw-cut swing so it technically gets +1 to all combos. It also uses the same sort of logic as gun sub-weapons, where instead of heavy combos it has a callable heavy attack. But with the katana weapon type, instead of an attack, it plays a re-sheath animation.

What's neat about this is that katanas track how many hits they've dished out to enemies, and when the re-sheath happens, that damage is accumulated in a string of secondary attacks.

What's kind of cool is that, to suit the general weapon framework in Dixie, katana weapons do this by attaching invisible projectiles to enemies. So in the process of implementing this, I not only developed a logic for melee weapons to attach projectiles to enemies (useful for things with sticky grenades or whatever) but also wrote the logic that will allow weapons to remote-detonate projectiles generally speaking, which is something I've had on my to-do list for a while.

Also, developed a "stance" field for weapons where they can specify how Dixie carries them. Katanas (and now, xCaliber) are carried on the waist left-handed; there are also options for other things like two-handed carry, drag, etc.

I enjoyed developing this because it's a fun weapon but it also feels like a proper early-game weapon; I was never gonna put wacky shit like the Tactical Melee Shotgun or xCaliber in level 1, so this actually gives me assets to use to mix up the enemy classes in the first few worlds.

Attached: DixieKatana.webm (709x480, 2.87M)

is surface_HUD created as a number though

it's not strictly about lore, it's also about delivery
you could have the greatest lore in the world and if it was delivered to the player by "And then this happened, and then this happened, and then this other thing happened" level of writing, it will be bad
That's why it's good to read top shelf literature, the minimal set of tools they have (just language really) there's only the story-telling mechanics and literary techniques to drive the player through the lore/story.

>mixels
mixed/meme pixels. sprite scaling off the pixel grid.
rixels
rotated pixels, sprite rotation off the pixel grid

Attached: mixels-guide.png (689x588, 49K)

what is are the proper practices to having dynamic pathfinding in gamemaker?

ive read the docs, watched tutorials, read guides, and every single one seems to contradict each other. some create a single global path that's modified, some create a path on the object's creation, some create a path every step. some say create the path once and modify the grid instead or the instances in it.

i cant get any consistent information with this and its frustrating as hell

morrowind had the best lore of any game ever made.

dude how else are you supposed to button mash
youtube.com/watch?v=09AwSZIk1xY

That's what we'll find out eventually.

Attached: 742.png (1901x943, 998K)

So there's a name for that thing I hated about Stardew Valley then.

Seems like you have a real talent for making things boring.

>Reading books to prepare for game making
Not the same medium

Just rixels and mixels, I think. Rixels is pretty much just lazy rotating your sprite for whatever purpose.
Mixels on the otherhand is lazy scaling of your sprite so that one unit of pixel looks bigger than the other pixels elsewhere

Attached: 1499563636121.png (1072x612, 25K)

seems pretty easy to shut down the physics based on visibility culling

game like thief is mainly small rooms anyway

That's because there's no single "right" way to do it. It depends on your game, how many objects are pathfinding, how CPU intensive your game is, etc. You definitely don't want your enemies to calculate a path at every single frame, unless you've got like only 1 enemy on screen and even then that's kind of overkill. It also depends whether the layout of your level changes over time (for instance, if a wall breaks down, we might want nearby mobs to rebuild their path right now)

Welcome to gamedev, most people have no idea what they are doing (especially the people who write tutorials and guides about gamedev). The only real solution is to try all the possible ways, benchmark them and see which one you like the post.

Physics objects automatically sleep anyway so I'm not worried about them, rendering-wise it will be kind of a bitch though since forward rendered lights are expensive.

best pathfinding solution is flow field influence maps, everything else is shit in comparison

alright but what if forcing something to be pixel perfect ends up making them looking much more ugly than when using rixels?

Attached: 1521410976614.png (958x572, 98K)

If you lack the lateral thinking skills necessary for seeing how skillful writing can inform your game design choices (let alone the actual writing, of course) then I feel bad for you

right looks way more ugly.

>thinkeng of Slayer

Attached: 1505312836743.gif (624x335, 2.98M)

right so it's just a matter of audience preference then, got it.

just to be clear integer sprite scaling is not mixels since it's still on the grid.

It depends on the aesthetics and intention of your game, honestly.
If you're trying to look authentic/retro/old-school then I would stick to pixel perfect (unless you're trying to emulate mode-7 or something).
If you're just using pixel art as an art style and nothing else then it really doesn't matter in the end. People here will tell you to absolutely avoid mixels/rixels under any circumstance but the truth of the matter is that the vast majority of people who play your game will not care or even notice.

Soniss released more free audio. Today is just full of gifts galore.

sonniss.com/gameaudiogdc18/

>pixel lighting in a pixel game

it looks like shit in both views

another project that i'll probably abandon in 2 weeks

Attached: 0.01.webm (690x587, 891K)

you know how in a game like doom, you don't get all the weapons at once? you're almost like... introduced to these, you could almost say, "characters", that stay with you through the game, individually and sometimes in interesting ways (instead of like, a new weapon at the beginning of the level)
Is it a stretch to think that that's a bit "literary"? Almost definitely not consciously modeled after a book or something, but honing that story-telling sense can help with a lot more than just writing

As in "surface_HUD = 100020?" No it's "surface_HUD = surface_create(w,h)"

I can't say it's a blanket solution but there will be ways to move the pixels around in a way that it looks okay-ish. Probably won't work on smaller sprites but if you think about it, you're just drawing a separate sprite.

Attached: 1514012313201.png (550x229, 11K)

The id of the surface will be a number so setting the surface free and the id to real(id) should suffice

>create event

surf=1;

>room start event

if surface_exists(surf)
{
surface_free(surf);
}

>room end event

surf+=1;

>draw event

if surface_exists(surf)
{
///draw_set_alpha(0.9);
draw_set_alpha(0.85);
draw_surface(surf, 0, 0); //the surface exists, so draw it
draw_set_alpha(1);
}
else
{
surf = surface_create(room_width, room_height);
}

there's my code

>the vast majority of people who play your game will not care or even notice.
Yeah I think I'm comfortable with my design choices.

But then again I wonder what those people think about pic related.

Attached: 20170913_165953.jpg (1064x597, 205K)

that's bretty good

This would look okay if not for the color correction, bloom, bad AA, etc.