/tekgen/ - Tekken General

Previous thread: = NEWS =
youtube.com/embed/mXCZ0mnapMw
>Patch 1.10
avoidingthepuddle.com/news/2017/12/13/tekken-7-version-110-input-lag-reduction-patch-out-now.html
>Tekken 7 Confirmed for EVO Sunday Spot
avoidingthepuddle.com/news/2018/2/6/tekken-7-returns-to-evo-this-year-in-the-sunday-arena.html
>Tekken World Tour 2018 Announced
tekkenworldtour.com/
>Patch 1.12
avoidingthepuddle.com/news/2018/3/19/tekken-7-version-112-update-adds-noctis-compatibility-nvidia.html

= BASIC INFORMATION =
>Notation
tekkenzaibatsu.com/legend.php
>Fergus' character overviews
docs.google.com/document/d/1yqgxbES6su4clpQou2hzlZN40rpPBtwmMRKWfexbj3g/
>Frame data for every character
rbnorway.org/t7-frame-data/
>Top 15 moves for all characters
drunkardshade.com/2017/05/27/tekken-7-top-15-moves-for-all-characters/
>/tekgen/ T7 Character Information Compilation (wip)
docs.google.com/document/d/139rPKrNc0nYHm2SmEa9Wy6LE7ps_2C0akOD4BQrmN2Q

= TUTORIAL VIDEOS FOR NEW PLAYERS =
>How to Approach 3D Fighting Games
youtu.be/p7Ar-RctqyU
>Korean Backdash Cancel (KBD)
youtu.be/gLp3Y0PdV94
shoryuken.com/2017/02/17/this-is-the-year-you-will-learn-how-to-perform-tekkens-korean-backdash/
>Button Buffering
youtu.be/38iJWsjc_w8
>Options at the wall
youtu.be/2SW7kCmA23o
>How to get off the ground
youtu.be/j-PDc20Jezg
youtu.be/11oZkTYI6Rs
>Low parrying
youtu.be/SF2wBESs01U
>Oki/Tech Trap
youtu.be/LYqbvQljTw0
>Throw Breaking
youtu.be/m4em9HzrwFI
>Wavedash
youtu.be/xMtFCy8LreM
>Wavedash/Backdash on pad
youtu.be/fU5Ji23k4LU
>Combo video playlist for each character
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDzNGonyeoUtBqYuqku0QqNwk2mcSlV_n

Attached: 1510578468196.jpg (768x768, 64K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dDAM-1J0jOw5050TUXdyvc5rRBcvh26oftsK_Q0S4Ok/edit#gid=1135104846
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Noctis is fun!

Kazumi!

Attached: 1517617157519.jpg (2048x1420, 437K)

inb4 alisafag

>hadn't touched any of the DLC characters
>kinda wanted to buy Noctis
>ended up buying the season pass

how are Eliza and GEESE

for some reason I just think Australians are fucking poorfags cos I've literally seen like two Geeses

australian players actually have morals and dont pick dishonest 2D characters

to be honest i actually haven't really seen any Akumas either

I thought he would be really popular, too

Geese is fun to play as and the lowest execution of the 2D characters and cancer to play against. Eliza is quite high execution so if that's your thing you might like her she is also cancer to fight against.

>make a few customs
>put a lot of time into making them look as nice as possible and not rainbow colored shit
>still end up using default P1 outfit 95% of the time

Attached: 1499925789995.png (294x294, 150K)

I thought Eliza was a preorder bonus separate from the Season Pass?

they should really make it so you can set a default costume to run with

i always just hit the usual confirm button and forget to select my costume - but maybe im just fuckign retarded

>they should really make it so customs dont look like garbage
fixed

>hasnt learned the game yet
>wants to play 2D characters
this is the first step in dropping the game at mid green ranks

maybe ur customs look like garbage goteem

Unless you paid for her separate or pre-ordered the game, you don't have Eliza

She is

Framewhisperer has a shit load of Eliza videos and guides so look him up if you’re interested she seems fun

>take a little over two week break
>come back and movement is better and a bunch of bad habits are gone
>completely forgot how to deal with Yoshi/Nina gimmicks
I'll accept this trade off

what gimmicks does yoshi have

imo you should be staying at a long range with noctis. his up close tools are kind of mediocre. I mean his df1 is good but outside of that he doesn't have fast + moves so you are better off making use of the absolutely insane range of all his moves and playing a range 1.5-2 poking/whiff punishment game. moreover his 1,2,3 and 1,2,4 both take him from range 0 to his preferred range easily.

Is this a joke?

what gimmicks does yoshi have

all of his stances and his unblockables.

It's not any funnier the second time.

Having a billion and one moves that all hit at different levels, have unblockables mixed in, has moves that look mid but hit low, several gimmicky stances that are all beatable but only in specific ways, etc.

He's a nightmare to deal with if you don't remember/know his moves and the opponent starts partying really hard.

unblockabes are legit oki tools and stances are for mixups, again where are the gimmicks
A lot of moves is different than having gimmicks.
>moves that look mid but hit low
like what
>stances that are all beatable
all of his stances are viable
If remembering to jab once when he enters a stance on block is too hard for you then drop this game and go play dbfz

ok yoshi main you don't have to get so triggered. you know what you were in for when you picked the gimmick meme character.

Not an argument

Debate him

does uf2 on noctis sometimes not low crush at the end of the animation?

so you're not going to tell me what moves supposedly look mid but hit low, ok

>like what
I wanna say his jumping move but that may be unblockable mixup
>all of his stances are viable
Yeah I know which is annoying as fuck to deal with
>If remembering to jab once when he enters a stance on block is too hard for you then drop this game and go play dbfz
My character doesn't have an i10 jab. Also for those where all options are beaten by a jab you have literally 10 frames to float him out so if you don't remember what moves transition to the stance then you are going to get put in the blender.

Yeah this really isn't an argument. We need to clean up our debating skills in this general.

>has moves that look mid but hit low
This is such a fucking Kyu rank argument. What the fuck does "moves that look" mean if pokes are all unseeable?
You got hit standing it's a low, you got hit crouching it's a mid
WS2,1 and the double jumping mid kicks. That's two moves.

Yes they steal the turn by crushing (evading) an opponent's attack. That is defensive. Another reason I would class them as defensive attacks is the fact that they are best used only against the specific things they are good against (highs or lows) reason being that if you use them against say, a df1, you will get floated for whatever damage the opponent gets off of their float combo and also they are only good in specific situations (slightly negative to positive) because if you do them while too negative you won't crush anything. Moreover the fact that they do not give Asuka any pressure after they are blocked means they can only be used as a defense against the move that they are attempting to crush and if that fails your offense is forced to stop.

>I wanna say his jumping move but that may be unblockable mixup
uf2 is a seeable jumping low. Other characters have something like that ( Raven and Eliza for example ), not unique to yoshi and hardly an important move for him

yeah that's a gimmick. a crap move that is only crap if you know what it is.

It's not crap. It guarantees flash for buttloads of damage up close.
It's just not an important move of his, nor is it difficult to remember it.

that's like saying snake edge isn't a gimmick because it gives lots of damage.

Snake edge isn't a gimmick. Just a very risky move.

you can f2 akuma's fireballs on reaction at certain ranges as noctis.

dope
to be honest I'm waiting for the official verdict from the pros before I buy him though.

>What the fuck does "moves that look" mean if pokes are all unseeable?
The ones I'm referring to are seeable
>WS2,1 and the double jumping mid kicks. That's two moves.
That's still more than enough to gimmick someone who doesn't know what Yoshi does/doesn't remember

Yeah and when you don't remember this very avoidable move is incredibly strong and hard as fuck to deal with, but it becomes much more tolerable and is nothing special when you know. That's called a gimmick.

>That's still more than enough to gimmick someone who doesn't know what Yoshi does/doesn't remember
Then by that logic every single unsafe move in the game is a gimmick

I fiddled around with him and he seems very strong but I noticed some moves feel super unsafe. If you are on the fence about him wait till we get frame data because that's what's gonna make or break him competitively. For just general use his tools are super fun.

I rest my case.

Are tigers gimmicks?

>it becomes much more tolerable
>That's called a gimmick.
No that's called matchup knowledge.
A gimmick is something that simply doesn't work AT ALL against someone who knows about it like nosebleeds and other breakable stuns.

Isn’t Yoshi’s whole thing once you understand how all his goofy shit works he becomes a lot less scary? I always assumed that’s why he was called gimmicky. It doesn’t make him bad, but his play style has heavy roots in doing shit the opponent hasn’t seen or simply has forgotten about in an effort to open them up. This is not to say he doesn’t have big standard Tekken abilities and that he can only play a gimmick heavy game, Shochan being an extremely solid Yoshi who firmly has one foot in crazy shit and one in super solid play, but it is definitely a big part of the character.

your definition is different than the normal definition

Knee eats snake edges all the time and Naps does them in tournaments.

Rest your case on my dick.

Is it autistic that king having similar looking combos across the board is a deterring me from maining him?

here is a fairly detailed but incomplete list, docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dDAM-1J0jOw5050TUXdyvc5rRBcvh26oftsK_Q0S4Ok/edit#gid=1135104846

>heavy roots in doing shit the opponent hasn’t seen or simply has forgotten about in an effort to open them up
That's not how he works at all and it would be great if people stopped thinking that.
Just because a stance looks like an ebick whacky memee doesn't mean it's still not the usual mid/low mixup that works at frame advantage and doesn't at frame disadvantage.

Not necessarily. A lot of these moves have uses, even snake edge when used sparingly as a high crush is a good move. It is a gimmick when you can spam it in neutral and, unless you know how to specifically punish it or prevent, it's going to be an oppressive tool. This is why say landing three snake edges in a row would be a gimmicky win but landing 3 hellsweeps is just legitimately abusing a broken move.

If a move loses a notable amount of power when you have knowledge of it then it's a gimmick or can be used as a gimmick at the very least.

no you definitely shouldn't main him for that reason.

No it's not. It's common knowledge that a gimmick is something that stops working against people who know about it. Not something that becomes "more tolerable".

SeeIf we follow YOUR definition then every single low in the game is a gimmick because you need to learn to crouch first, and once you do they become "more tolerable".
No. A gimmick is something that is completely defeated once learned.

I feel like 90% of arguments are people having a language mixup where one person is using X term to mean Y and the other person is using X term to mean Z.

Forgot image

Attached: tek2king-3.png (320x240, 120K)

It's almost like language is important and you can't just use whatever words sound nice to you to mean whatever you want, who would have thought?

That’s what Wittgenstein would say, and I agree.

It's like I thought then, a butt load of his moves are unsafe and border/are launch punishable. Now it just depends on what turns out to be his most relied on moves.

So snake edge isn't a gimmick since it has legitimate uses? Got it.

b3 crushes mids
seeable low spam isn't a gimmick
noctis is underpowered
noctis is overpowered
deathfist is literally impossible to punish

>noctis is underpowered
>noctis is overpowered
It's way too early to call either of these

why the fuck are they adding a million fast usable projectiles into a tekken game????

Lili

Attached: lili_m3.webm (1920x1080, 2.44M)

>a new character comes
>all the waifufags who dropped the game are back

That's right. It's just a shitty move.

I don't know about usable. If Noctis' f2 gets blocked he's in the opponent's face at -9

Attached: lili.webm (1280x720, 2.4M)

>against a king player
>literally only does jab -> giant swing
>break it every time
>still never changes the grab
are all king players retarded

Yep. Now they can continue to mash on their favorite buttons until yellows and then drop the game again

u mad bro?

no but you are

it's the best whiff punish in the whole game with the number two spot held by his df2

confrimed for mad
i'm so sorry i didn't know...

In terms of range sure, but it's no launcher.

f2->parry is a funny meme to throw out very occasionally.

What does that parry work on anyways? All limbs or only some? Highs and/or mids?

it's an unchickenable parry that works on highs and mids but not knees elbows etc.

Even "top level" kings do this lmao. Guess their execution is too shit to do iSW.

Does it work on both punches and kicks? What do you get after?

I feel really bad for everybody in early ranks having to deal with all these Noctis smurfs. I see them trying out new characters and trying to have fun but they're getting completely stonewalled by clearly better opponents.

yeah punches and kicks. it just does damage and gives you decent oki.

Best girl

Alright thanks user

I love Alisa!

Attached: waifuforlaifu.jpg (374x468, 33K)

What's wrong with losing to a better opponent?
As long as there's no cheating or shitty connection going on, it's all fair

if these guys are genuine new players brought in by the dlc it could seem daunting if they are just getting completely smashed by korean backdashing noctis smurfs.

Look at the bigger picture. In the end it'll simply be a funny memory for those who stuck with the game and got good, or a bad memory for the casuals who dropped it.

I kind of like Noctis guys. he has super easy mode combos yet his optimal stuff is actually pretty tricky, it's a good progession.

Something I noticed this weekend: can Lil Majin not do iSW? He literally never attempted to do it or a grab mixup.

it might be because the top level players are aware of the out to the grab mixup so he just doesn't bother with it.

Shining wizard and giant swing arent a true mixup.
Devoting time and effort to executing a mixup that isn't even real is not worth it

He still got exposed hard in top 8

he did really well what are you talking about and yeah you can see that mixup but its really hard to actually do especially in tournament

All he was doing was staying away and doing dash moves like ffn2 and ffn1+2 while trying to create whiffs.
He didn't go for pokes or good mixups much at all and it cost him the tournament

Why did they have to take ou Mokujin? I get that he's too high IQ for 99% of players, but come on.

It doesn't feel right, man.

Attached: 1480258024866.jpg (600x800, 54K)

>noctis has shit customisation options
>only 1 panel
>stage is a rectangle
>music ripped straight from ffxv
>models ripped straight from ffxv
>no old noctis
is this the laziest dlc ever only once again saved by the fact that Tekken's gameplay is good.

Bamco either have no idea how to work with UE4 and/or they tried implementing him but the game kept having to load a long ass time every single round just like how your game loads in practice mode when you're reloading stage gimmicks.