Why didn't Europe develop martial arts traditions that continued on to the modern day?

Why didn't Europe develop martial arts traditions that continued on to the modern day?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rxJbRH0UWZg
m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqn09yaGpOc
bullshido.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16293&d=1408466169
kogenbudo.org/why-the-unrealistic-targets-in-modern-kendo/
kogenbudo.org/guest-blog-in-the-beginning-by-gustavo-goulart/
koryu.com/library/camberger2.html
koryu.com/library/tthreadgill1.html
shinyokai.com/Essays_Whatisjujutsu.htm
thearma.org/essays/G&WinRF.htm#.VAO8Ddm9LCR
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They did develop marital arts, boxing fencing and wrestling are sport versions that survive tot he modern day.

They did, though.

but they're stripped off its historical and spiritual aspects

The European martial tradition died out after the two wars. The French tried to maintain savate and sabre for a while, but the people were really over anything combat related.

Yet another thing you can thank Germany for.

did they though? alot of the equiptment is modernized, but you'd be hard pressed to find a martial arts school that uses authentic asian monk robes. That's also operating under the assumption that the specific type of martial art you're studying is tied to any sort of religious movement, which a lot of martial arts aren't

boxing and wrestling are spiritual but just not in that chinky gook way

But a European did invent martial arts and got the slants to copy it. Bodhidharma is always represented in art with non-oriental physiognomy.

I love getting spiritual in another man's asshole

Persia isn't Europe.

>Yet another thing you can thank Germany for.

what's that supposed to mean

boxing and wrestling aren't even practical

and sir I find your ignorance appalling

>boxing and wrestling aren't even practical

jab jab cross is way more practical than crane kick hummingbird style or whatever the f*ck they do over in chingchong land

The theory that Asian marital arts began with Bodhidharma is widely dismissed.

Because of shooty shooty bang bang

not really

look

in boxing you only punch and you wear big poofy gloves

if kicks to the nuts are considered or grappling or strikes to small pressure points or any kick really it's useless

boxing is a sport

it's all about how much you can pump your arms
it's like high speed weightlifting

and as for wrestling
jiu jutsu nd even judo are superior in every way

it would take a long time to explain exactly why but basically the more restrictions you place on the participants the less martial it is

>in boxing you only punch and you wear big poofy gloves

well that's true isn't it

are you high

big poofy gloves are a relatively recent development

>it's all about how much you can pump your arms
>it's like high speed weightlifting
Just when I think Veeky Forums can't be any more wrong, you state some dumb shit like this.

yeah well to that I say bare-knuckle boxing is a little better than gloves boxing

>Just when I think Veeky Forums can't be any more wrong, you state some dumb shit like this.
Just when I think Veeky Forums can't be any more wrong, you state some dumb shit like this.

By that standard the most "martial" martial arts would be ones like Jeet Kune Do and Krav Maga that are less than a 100 year old.

boxing is boxing

Indeed!

Is that a fact

Most martial arts are less than a hundred years old and most do not predate the industrial revolution. Only a few are really early modern or medieval in any sense

Jesus Christ. Get into a fight first and tell me which martial art you want. In any fight on the street boxing will win. You need serious understanding of Judo or Jiu Jitsu to be effective, you'll look like a retard otherwise.

yes it is

Germany is responsible for all evils in this world.

well that's debatable

I guess for most retards boxing would be your best bet

But why aren't all the MMA champions boxers

>why aren't all the snowboard champions skateboarders

or ufc champions
that;s what I meant
ufc

You'd lose pretty quickly if you only punched in ufc

because they're cucks

yeah

opps

this

>in boxing you only punch and you wear big poofy gloves

You've never been punched in the mouth, have you? I dare you to go to a boxing gym and say that shit to a seasoned boxer.

We'll see how comfy those mitts are.

you've never been punched in the throat have you

I dare you to go to a gym and have a professional boxer punch you there

then get him to take off the gloves and don't sue me

getting punched in the mouth is no big deal

it's a little uncomfortable and girly boys are scared of loosing their teeth but it's not even a vital point or anything

Most if not all MMA fighters have a standing game.

>You'd lose pretty quickly if you only punched in ufc

You'd lose pretty quickly if you never punched in UFC.
MMA is a dynamic sport where purists tend to get snuffed out quick.

Outside of that context, boxing tends to be lower risk, higher reward. I can't just sucker submit someone.

>he doesn't know about the AO and TMJ joints that trigger a knockout

>he thinks of fighting in terms of "vital points" like one of video games

Because we took war seriously

European martial arts has survived though. It's gretaly evolved over the past 400 years, but today it's known as the modern 1st world army.

>you've never been punched in the throat have you

I have and here I am.
That's not even my point, the point is that even with 16oz gloves you can get rocked by someone who boxes, and to highlight my point - yeah, it'd be probably be even worse without gloves. They know how to move their hands to the highest effectiveness of any martial sport.

>getting punched in the mouth is no big deal
It is when we're gauging effective technique. It's just way quicker to turn off someone's lights by breaking their jaw than it is to target and hit a moving person's "vital points".

It's just more efficient.

well you're attacking a strawman there
of course punching is a good idea

yeah teeth and skull are a lot harder than your knuckles
You need the gloves for a punch to the mouth to result in a KO

vital points are medically proven to be real
they're known in martial arts because they work

but dude

the jaw is a vital point
*drops the mic*

your argument is
>things are hard how does you do them?? hurrr

>Vital points
Please I'm a medic and this is bs

>You need the gloves for a punch to the mouth to result in a KO

youtube.com/watch?v=rxJbRH0UWZg

I'm a medic too though

Yes, but that's not quite the same thing as "Kung fu originated outside of China", is it?

don't show me some gay little video
go try it yourself kidd

But that is pretty doubtful too

>the jaw is a vital point

So it is, but not very romantic. Strip mall kung fu experts would have you believe that if you even so much as bump your knee against a table you'd go into instant paralysis - an exaggeration, I know, but most of this stuff is ineffective bullshit to someone who wants to beat the ever loving shit out of you.

thing about Asian martial arts and their popularity was their accessibility

most MARtial arts are for military purposes but arts like Kung-fu, that came from monks, can easily be learned by civilians.

well i don't care about strip mall kung fu experts

idiot

and what is it about krav maga that's inaccessible to civilians

all you need is a the info and a body

Try that buddhist shit against some greco-roman wrestling in the octagon and ask that question agian.

It's funny, because you sound just like one with all this nebulous talk of "vital points".

>self-defense system developed for the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) that consists of a wide combination of techniques sourced from aikido, judo, boxing and wrestling
>judo, boxing and wrestling
>judo
>jew-do

I knew it!

Judo kids are scrubs on their feet compared to a wrestler of equal experience. Explain to me why they adapted their competitions to ban moves that are heavily taught in wrestling (leg attacks, bridging, neck cranks). The IJF got too butthurt that off season wrestlers were cleaning up their competitions.

dang thats a small penis

Greco Roman wrestling was originally called French wrestling and was invented in the 19th century by a former Napoleonic soldier who picked up a variety of folk wrestling styles in his travels. It was branded as Greco Roman to try and appeal to a wide variety of people and to inspire everyone with nostalgia. Actual Ancient Greek wrestling included a different rule set, in which simply falling to the ground awarded a point, along with joint locks and chokes.

showing your glans was a no-no so they tied the tip of their penis; besides having big dicks was for barbarians.

>free roman citizen tries to grapple Xiaolin monk
>monk teleports behind him and stabs him
>psssh.... nothing personal ..... kid

they can't fuck with a full legion though

Because they wanted to distinguish their sport form wrestling for the Olympic commodity

yeah yeah

if we met in irl life this is where I show you them all and explain exactly where they are and why they work and tickle you up and down but alas that cannot be

More like
>monk tries to slap box
>gets duck undered and suplexed on his bald head
I mean just look at these old pussies

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqn09yaGpOc

What the fuck am I reading? Are you having a stroke? You've never been in a fight and I know thousands of "sport" fighters who would rip you in half

well I don't know that's a real shame

what's with your attitude

you think shaolin monks don't know about duck-undering

I think you've been watching too many saturday morning catoons buck-o

>2097395
This is a vital chart from an 150+ year old jujutsu style. Most are just normal anatomical weaknesses and you were supposed to hit them hard, not put subtle pressure on them

Where did I insult judo? I used to do judo, but most of the recent rule changes have to do with the Olympics

There's a lot there that you don't see

like what would happen if you tried to gung-ho them

The same think happens when you show most people jiu-jutsu competitions
They're all like "why are they just flopping around"
You'd have to be familiar with the strategy to judge

or I don't even know

kung fu is weird

chinese people are weird

>cartoons
>he says while defending a bunch of bullshit that has been exaggerated by cartoons
Ok
Even the most casual of idiots can figure out the effectiveness of jiujitsu by future of its submissions, along with its sparring. Kung fu fortunately is as dumb and ineffective as it looks.

1v1 me irl

That's what happens with anything you turn into a sport.

so you're an expert now huh?

You really don't know what you're talking about

have you ever watched bruce lee movies?
Is that not effective?
Just read about that guy

Why is boxing necessary to be a competent kickboxer/MMA fighter? You're an incomplete fighter without the hands. Why was jui jitsu so much more effective when mixed with folk style wrestling? Why do most fighters use conditioning pioneered by western thinkers?

>have you ever watched bruce lee movies?
Is that not effective?

Are you a troll?

Chinese martial arts has some real interesting stuff but I dont think many of them are still strictly geared towards fighting.

3 2 3-960- 3500
call me

boxing is merely one style of punching

> I dont think many of them are still strictly geared towards fighting.

are you a troll?

So does anyone actually have anything noteworthy or interesting about the development of martial arts or have we resorted to shitflinging by cucks who are undoubtedly too scared to fight a JV wrestler? Here's a neat little article with bad English.

bullshido.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16293&d=1408466169

One of the most effective styles of punching. It is very utilitarian and all professional fighters study it.

Yeah I forgot that the movies of an actor who admittedly pussed out of any actual fighting was definitive proof that kung fu, (a style which he wrote was useless by the way and in fact advocated for an early form of MMA) is """badass"""

>tfw I called that number

it's not the strongest though

maybe he avoided fighting people because he'd likely end up in jail
and just because wing chun doesn't always work and should be supplemented with grappling does not make it useless

kogenbudo.org/why-the-unrealistic-targets-in-modern-kendo/

kogenbudo.org/guest-blog-in-the-beginning-by-gustavo-goulart/

koryu.com/library/camberger2.html

koryu.com/library/tthreadgill1.html

shinyokai.com/Essays_Whatisjujutsu.htm

I ain't scared of no singlet wearing homo

Many Chinese martial arts are somewhat separated from both their origin and modern fighting. A lot of so focused on performance, cultural preservation or things like push hands that they are only tangentially about fighting. That isn't everyone but its a lot of CMA

It depends on the individual. It certainly is the most effective style of punching. If there were a more effective style people would use it in place of essential boxing techniques, which are in use globally. Usually the alternatives are just bullshido.

Here's this while I read the links you sent.

thearma.org/essays/G&WinRF.htm#.VAO8Ddm9LCR

Pure Wing Chun has never worked though. Anything supplemented with grappling isn't remotely the same thing anymore, and frankly I have no idea why you would waste your life training something that doesn't work when you could have just trained in martial arts that one could reasonably defend yourself with.

it's the easiest to learn and train in that's why it's popular

I happen to know a better way
It's empirically better
but I don't work for free fuk off

Please do share your secrets with us.

>Anything supplemented with grappling isn't remotely the same thing anymore

it is though
you strike until you clinch and then you grapple

it's not complicated