pastebin.com/SGJye9We

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/3kegcmjA

>News
7drl is over, play them here
itch.io/jam/7drl-challenge-2018/entries

>/rlg/'s shared DCSS online account
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on Xtahua)

>Roguelike Servers:
roguenex.us/ (CDDA, angband, PCB)
angband.live/ (Angband and variants, including PCB)
hardfought.org/ (Nethack and variants, including slex)

Attached: 1200px-USASCII_code_chart.png (1200x864, 120K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=f12nVkPa2wQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Guys how do I suck less at DCSS? I Can't get a score above 500

Play MiBe

>lost a good run to my own stupidity again

basic strategy:
use choke points like corridors so you're only fighting 1 enemy at once
rest to heal after each fight
don't charge at enemies into unexplored territory, cause as you run forward you'll probably find more of their buddies and end up having to fight 3 enemies in the middle of a room
instead throw rocks at them from far away and let them come to you

What did you idiots do this time?

Well, that is pretty much every death in a roguelike
What is MiBe? I am on a roguelike kick, so I'd love to play anything recommended
Thanks for the tips man, I'll make sure to write them down!

The farthest I've gotten so far is the second part of the Lair of Beasts. Minotaur Berserker or Troll Berserker is pretty good. Personally I like Troll more because you can eat chunks of flesh whenever you want and run around very full or engorged all the time. That lets you berserk all the time without food ever being something to worry about as long as you're fighting things that let you butcher. And you'll have a large stock of permanent foods for the times when you're fighting shit that you can't eat. I'm not very good and haven't won yet so I maybe shouldn't give advice but for me I started doing a lot better once I picked up a sling and started shooting rocks/sling shots from it. Even training slings to only 2.0 is pretty decent. It lets you get a monster's attention from far away and back up into a hallway to fight them one at a time. Also the slings seem to do pretty good damage so it's likely you'll kill anything up to an orc before it ever reaches you. If you choose Troll instead then you can throw instead of using slings since you'll eventually find giant rocks to throw which do huge damage. Also if you want to you can hit t and then t again to shout. That'll attract all the enemies in a large area to you. I don't recommend this later on but early when nothing is much of a threat from afar it can sometimes be decent for pulling in a bunch to a single file hallway to berserk and slaughter.

mibe stands for minotaur berserker, one of the simplest/easiest/strongest/most-newbie-friendly race/class combinations in dcss

Sorry user i fell asleep and when I woke up /rlg/ was ded again...

That's a really neat tip. I've died a lot of times on floor 3-4 since there are ogre hordes, the ones with a priest, mage and a bit of muscle. Would've die less if I just fought them one at a-time. Also Troll Monk is really strong if you can get to follow Trog early on.

arelgee how do i get an amulet of change irl this is important

Attached: .png (609x734, 314K)

>Also Troll Monk is really strong if you can get to follow Trog early on.
Why go Monk if you're just going to follow Trog? Berserkers start with Trog.

Yeah, the priests you definitely want to get away from where they can't see you and they'll be forced to come closer. Like hide around a corner and hit wait until they come around a corner for you to kill them quickly. The orc priests can invoke Beogh to smite you and it can hit you no matter where you are as long as they can see you.

smite requires a clear path between u and the enemy, same like damnation

DCSS is boring, but I recognize this as my opinion and I will not denigrate those who think otherwise.

Real controversial opinion you have there

Attached: smuk_john.jpg (389x480, 86K)

dumb and wrong
also there's a difference between "hurl damnation" (hellfireball), and "call down damnation" (hellsmite)

what weapon should i be using

Attached: 11111111111111111111111111111.png (1306x301, 31K)

the battleaxe of elec is pretty good, and the broadaxe is good too
glaive of freezing too
but i sure hope you aren't wasting tons of xp by training two weapon skills at once user. you should be training EITHER polearms OR axes, since you obviously can't wield both at once

>flame, resist fire, See invisible, +3
Grab "Motrys" and keep that venom halberd for kiting something with a large healthpool and strong melee.

add a dire flail of freezng +4 to the list. i need to make space

Gargoyle is better.
My first 15 rune was a Gargoyle Berserker
>immune to poison
>naturally N+
>armour out the ass
>rElec
>torment resist
Easy mode lategame

about that

Attached: ().png (731x574, 49K)

if you are a melee fighter you do NOT pick melee weapons based on their stat buffs
you need to actually use your weapon to kill enemies, so you need to pick the weapon that kills enemies best
it might be a reasonable idea for folks who do most of their killing with spells

Switch to manual mode by pressing /, it allows you to better distribute your exp.
Don't train more than one weapon skill.

Is your polearms or axes higher level?
Drop all of the other one.
Drop the hand axe and broad axe either way.
Probably not worth having the vorpal halberd either.

>Be big bad melee stat dump
>wander around
>something I can't see starts to hit me
>can't hit back successfully because I cannot see it
>Die

I always make sure to grab something that lets me see invisible because if you don't, pretty much anything in the late game that is make itself invisible will royally fuck you, especially if it can do multiple things that make it harder for you to fight back or you are trying to fight off mobs of enemies and cant make it to a bottleneck. That and the fact that it is flaming makes it really good against other things that just like to get into melee and fuck your shit without regard for its personal safety like trolls or hydras

I'd argue that Gargoyles are easier for 15 runes.

But for a regular 3 rune game i think they are beat by minotaurs, particulary because of their physical combat aptitudes in general.

invis is really not as big a deal as you're saying
and even then you can simply keep the artifact weapon with Sinv (or just a ring) as a swap for when you actually encounter invis shit and use an actual good weapon the rest of the time

You see that is a good question. Still not used to classless combat...

theres only like one point where invis monsters are an issue, and thats an early invis birdie finding you in an open area.

troll monk is pretty much completely pointless nowadays
monk used to be specialized in unarmed combat, with a higher starting skill than any other melee class, but now they get the same "pick a weapon" thing as most other classes instead, so they have no advantage over fighter/gladiator.

im currently level 7 human assasin and i havent used any enchanting scroll, can i deal with an ogre? or its not time yet

Attached: my gear.png (832x600, 22K)

how many points of throwing do you have
should be easy enough with 1x curare plus a couple of poison needles

it's ogre for him man, go for it

Kite with curare, swoop in with your dagger to finish him off

it worked

Attached: cool and good.jpg (1280x720, 80K)

now try it on a two headed ogre!

get a real melee weapon though
short blades suck unless you have hex magic

say that to my quickblade fucker not online and see what happens

what weapon can i get for an assasin (pic unrelated, i almost die again)

Attached: paralysing wand worked pretty good.png (1270x606, 34K)

you're a human so your aptitudes for all weapon types are equal
you can pick any of axes/swords/maces/polarms and you won't go wrong
swords are kinda nice because short blades crosstrain with them, meaning you get a bonus to your long blades skill as long as it's lower than short blades
but really the first good weapon you find with a brand or a nice enchantment is reason enough to switch to that weapon skill. just make sure to only commit to one and don't flip-flop afterwards

Pick a race with decent HP per level and a good wep apt; mino is good because its got all around good letting you switch easily if you get a nice early drop. Or just pick troll and ignore 99% of all drops.
Tab stuff. If the stuff kills you, you now know not to tab it as hard.
Use items liberally because most of them are goddamn OP and you lose them all if you die.
Take a strong god. Trog, Nemelex, Mahkleb, Yred are all great for melee, giving you enough brute strength to end encounters before they get dangerous, better sustain, meat shields or allied pan lords before you even grab a single rune.

Wew; I just splatted because I forgot casting Necromutation again doesn't cancel it, but rather extends its duration, lol.

i just found a +12 artifact rapier in a shop, how can i get money fast?

Gozag.

acquire gold

or genocide some orcs if you havent already

Which roguelike has the worst food clock? I'd say even The Pit or Pixel Dungeon

Unless it has any other intrinsics it probably isn't worth it.

>worst food clock
>pixeldungeon
my man

Attached: suffer more.jpg (500x500, 66K)

youtube.com/watch?v=f12nVkPa2wQ

>minotaur
>long blades
>headbutt
>riposte
you can literally just stand next to a hydra and mash .
i feel like a genius but probably people've been doing it for a while

I hope you have a flame brand sword.

riposte doesn't cut heads

DCSS is so easy.

kinda like your mom

>DCSS is so easy.
I still haven't won and I SUCK.

part 2 follows naturally from part 1, you didn't have to explain it

wow who invited the bullies

How do I make tome4 run in a smaller window like I like my roguelikes to without the bar showing all the skills displaying nothing but blanks. Anything below full screen and it does this.

I REALLY suck and I have a 15 rune win.
>cheese early game as a Berserker
>switch the TSO and spam that aoe flame spell forever whilst whipping demons with a sacred scourge

increase the size of that bar because it probably doesn't have enough space for the icons
also try turning the icon size down in the options

Neither of these work for me :(. They used to on my old monitor but my newer one its just like nah. The game is so fucking ugly I don't want to see it on a big monitor.

>the game is so fucking ugly
dumb tilesposter just switch to ascii

>ascii isn't ugly
lmoooa

I do play on ascii :(. Its ugly ascii. The tiles are so ugly I'd never use them.

the problem with ascii on tome 4 is you can't tell the rares/uniques/bosses without highlighting them

People say DCSS is easy but then they play on the literal EASIEST MODE POSSIBLE with MiBe -> TSO. The whole point of MiBe is to be a braindead character that shows you the whole game so you know how to prepare for it on other characters. Its like playing any other game on easy mode and claiming the game is casual garbage.

why do people say MiBe is the easiest combo when really it's TrBe

TrBe really falls off in the midgame because lmao no AC/EV/bad apts. I don't think a new player would know to pick up a shield ASAP and use it no matter what either. They really are the most diesel thing possible, but that take a bit of finessing. At least until you get a dragon armor.

no axe proficiency, no horns for retaliating, you rush thru the game too fast for hunger to be a problem making corpse eating is not as beneficial, the only thing you need to micromanage is grabbing good equipment when it drops and drinking potions until you find the 5 or so you truly need to survive any situation

Whats a good level of skills to install CBMs? Because of the dumb painkillers stuff it doesnt tell me the % before I take some.

>You hear a distant "Zot!"

What did they mean by this?

why do people say TrBe is the easiest combo when it's really DDBe

>hunger mattering
>horns mattering
ask me how i know you're the "farthest i've ever gotten is lair" poster

why do people say TrBe is the easiest combo when really its not playing DCSS in the first place

why do people say DDBe is the easiest combo when it's really SpEn

Attached: look at the search bar.png (1366x768, 55K)

I've won with MiBe but not with TrBe

New players are too dumb to press z - b and z - c a million times in the playthrough. Foot evocation remains an elusive concept too.

why do people say SpEn is the easiest combo when it's really MuMo

I was merely pretending to be retarded

Attached: i fucked up the first time.png (1366x768, 77K)

that's not a search bar, also nice /8/eddit tab

>ABP
>not ublock
The fuck man

and she has the fucking pocket button in the url bar still
come on user step it up

I am playing GnCK just for the !!FUN!!. Just reached Lair.

Because 4chans version of /hgg/ is shit and relegated to /aco/s autism and the occasional thread on /trash/.

Im going to ask the retards here if they have the newest version of FCPregmod or a git of Lilith's Thrones .jar files already compiled because the retards here couldn't coordinate with each-other on when the Jack O'ninetails team is releasing some bug fixes even when they have that stuff on a schedule on their blogspot.

I have strange needs and sometimes Veeky Forums just can't scratch that itch anymore

>some guys arguing about who is wrong
>the others are just staring

Attached: heh.jpg (192x191, 7K)

It means a zot trap is nearby.

>enter swamp
>nikola is withing 2 tiles
>moves next to me and chain lightning hits me for 100 damage
>slaps me for 48 damage
well thanks Nikola

Don't worry, rElec is considered a "luxury resistance" by the devs.

>when you completed depths and snake without rElec but it never generates for zot
>You see here: an elec golem.
>It smacks you on the ass!!!

>1 enemy in the entire game
just !resistance lmao

it GENERALLY is, in a 3 rune game.

>Make guy
>First three floors go well
>Get to the fourth floor
>Explore for a bit
>Unique NPC
>FUCKING SIGMUND THE DREADED
>Get ripped a new one because of this asshat
>Shut game down in frustration
DO I HAVE TO MAKE A GOD DAMN MiBe EVERY DAMN TIME JUST TO KILL THIS FUCKER!?

Attached: Asshat.png (500x500, 4K)

Find items that give you resistance to magic/elemental damage. Wear armor and use weapons that correspond to enemy weaknesses. Also use smaller more fast weapons for stuff like bees, bigger weapons but slower for slow powerful monsters. Axes are fun too.

Holy fuck crawl is so easy. It took me years to get good at it too I'm so emberassed.

You can basically count the number the truly dangerous enemies where rElec would be super handy on one hand. Without it, you have to warp your strategy around dealing with them. Its kind of like how everyone was super crybaby bitchboi about when stasis and rMut were removed, but with proper play you can go through a 15 rune game only being mutated once or twice.

Just remember the lesson of Maud "WALK AWAY OR I'LL MAKE YOU PAY" the forgotten.

>you have to engage every enemy you see.
just run to stairs and come back later.