The definition of the true savage is that he laughs when he hurts you; and howls when you hurt him. - G. K. Chesterton

>The definition of the true savage is that he laughs when he hurts you; and howls when you hurt him. - G. K. Chesterton
Here's an interesting way to describe savagery, basing it around self-awareness and the ability to reflectively analyze. Let's discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LtH7l-dhHZQ
platitudesundone.blogspot.com/2012/01/influence-of-gk-chesterton-part-one.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I disagree

Everyone has a breaking point and what's wrong with profiting from causing pain

t. Savage

>Everyone has a breaking point

Sophomoric armchair psychology

>The definition of the true savage is that he laughs when he hurts you; and howls when you hurt him.
That's basically the perfect description of German nazis.

I don't get the second part. You're not a savage if you grit your teeth?

Hey buddy I'm a former US marine I was tortured in nam you don't know shit

What, are you implying some men are invincible?

So a civilized man should howl when hurting someone and laughing when he's hurt? Or how am I supposed to understand this?

There are those kids born without the ability to feel pain

Yeah, basically. It implies a measure of self-awareness.

Post your DD-214 and your POW medal then you fucking faggot.

its just not supposed to laugh when hurting someone else. for it should take no pleasure in it and see such an action as something that was absolutely necessary for a greater good. It has to have the courage to do horrible things so that the right thing is done.

Basically. What Chesterton is saying is that a savage will gloat or take pleasure in the suffering they cause others but when others cause suffering to him he will bitch and moan about it.

Islamic State fits this definition perfectly.

>G. K. Chesterton
Why do you post pictures of anime nazis everyday?

>[H]e is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature.

From Shaw's Caesar and Cleopatra.

that dude looks like a lot like me

howling is reminiscent of the wolf—a pack animal, a living multiple, always on the verge of multiplicity. chesterson implies that when you hurt a savage, he calls for help—and help arrives. on the civilized man (now a fool by comparison) suffers alone.

fatty

The quote is not meant to be literal.

So you're a fatass with glasses and a gay hairdo.

Daily reminder that Chesterton was a fat meme faggot who was not clever, funny, insightful, or interesting. Instead, he was only boring and contrarian, being a catholic because for him it was the /contrary/ thing to be, and

Chesterton was never in the truth, and the sooner people stop reading him and giving the slightest respect to his idiotic sentimentality, the better.

You all have a well-formed idea of "the fedora" as a person, which is meant to connote a sort of nerdy, not-actually-all-that-smart atheist. The one who wears hats and stuff and is fat and fancies himself looking cool and being smart, while just being an embarassment. Chesterton is the Christian analogue of this embarassment.

Did he mean this? youtube.com/watch?v=LtH7l-dhHZQ

He's right, it's why the CIA will take a stick and slowly hammer it into your ear drum if you don't tell them what they want to know.

What if our present idea of being civilized turns out to be savagery, actually?

My middle school experiences were different.
>be sperg
>get bullied
>after ignoring him for weeks eventually get mad and hit back
>bully screeches really loud then cusses me out
>now everyone thinks he's a little bitch
>I'm still a loser sperg though

who gives a shit how it's "meant" to be "taken"

You don't get to complain if you enjoy doing the same to others

Ray Bradbury, F Scott Fitzgerald, Orsen Welles, Ernest Hemingway, Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman, Dean Koontz, Agatha Christie, and Alfred Hitchcock all think that you're projecting.
And that's just the tip of the iceberg of people who cite him as a major influence.
platitudesundone.blogspot.com/2012/01/influence-of-gk-chesterton-part-one.html