Who else was retarded enough to get a BA in History?

AMA

my actually diploma is at my parents house because they are actually proud of it unlike myself. this is juut a registrar printout i put in my job application portfolio.

excuse the typos, im really fucking drunk and have been pounding beers since i got off my shitty 3rd shift job that leads me no where but a death before i turn 50.

That sucks dude. How old are you? I almost made the same mistake when I was considering becoming a teacher. Have time to get a new education? What's your BA focus?

im 26. i was enroute to being a HS history teacher then decided i didn't want to. i was already 3 years into college and through 2/3rds of the way through teaching certification gateways. i actually got a commendation from both the teacher i worked under, and even the school principal for how well i worked in the class room. i did my "guided" student teaching with an honors social studies class and an ESL social studies class and they were really impressed on how i was able to adapt my lesson plans to the two different groups of students.

i dunno i had it all going for me, then just one week i decided i didn't wana be a teacher. i dropped out and became a construction worker. eventually i got hurt on the job and i wanted to improve my job prospects but still not wanting to be a teacher and the closest thing i was to was a BA in HIST. i figured a BA in anything is better than nothing.

Sorry got distracted. You sound like you really don't wanna teach but maybe you could think about supplementing your income as a tutor

Also with teaching exp and knowledge of history you always can be the smartest guy among the dolts. silver lining so know. You might have a change of heart in the future. Don't fall into despair and kicking yourself for pursuing a passion. You're still young.

So what sucks about a history BA?

You fucked yourself over.

Time to put your skills in history and shitposting to the test, user. Rally the french people and her allies and invade Russia like good old bonaparte would have wanted.

You are still young, lots you can do.

You can change fields, pursue graduate studies, become a military officer, police officer, all kinds of things.

It isn't a real marketable degree in the private sector, but it's something.

Also how was the Lafayette pussy? Indy fag here.

>Study history and CS
>Get job at major tech company
>Get dosh and can still pursue my hobbies
:^)

rude user

>went to Perdue
>didn't go Neuro
>didn't go Anth
>didn't go Library Science

WHY?

You could get a job in the film industry with that, to be an advisor

I went straight into accounting after finishing my BA. I love history and still read books regularly, but there isn't really any jobs directly relating to the study.

It could be worse
It could be American Studies
While not in America

Feels good to luck the fuck out and work as a an Archivist.

Just go into the military, become an Intel officer. They'll probably use whatever area of expertise you are. If you have Middle Eastern or Islam Societies, you would set yourself up Godlike. Then afterward you could join the alphabet security agencies.

In what capacity?

National Archives, Arrangement & Description, but I occasionally work a Reference desk.

Have to love a job surrounded by history where you never stop learning,

How did you land it user? Sounds comfy

Try to go to Law School. History Majors are well received in the Law Profession.

Didn't have a formal archival qualification, but pulled some contracting work in the Civil Aviation library/records team, which is what gave me the in two years later.

It is damn comfy. Like any job, there are assholes and problems but when you love the collection and are surrounded by people who feel the same you can forgive a hell of a lot.

Reporting in. Graduated six months ago. I really fell for the "just get a degree in what you enjoy and it'll all work out" meme.

Whoops, meant to be one post.

I know this is all my fault, but it's hard to not get angry at the dozens of well-intentioned people who gave me bad advice.

It's not really bad advice if you're realistic about what you can do with the degree. No, you probably won't be able to get a job related to history, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Most jobs just require that you have a degree, and don't care what it's in. All that matters is that you have a piece of paper that says you can commit to working and accomplishing things. I saw a study a few weeks ago that showed English majors having the highest employment rate for that same reason.

You have a degree, and that means you're qualified for a ton of jobs. You might not like many of them, since they're mostly going to be normie office jobs, but it's not like the degree was worthless.

No I dig that's why I'm in the museum, MPA.

>which is what gave me the in two years later.
Nice.

If it makes anybody feel better, I went to trade school and still work some dead end labour job

>tfw fell for the trades meme

i got rejected from the grad schools i wanted, so i took a random job logging video in new york.

used my history knowledge to get a promotion and now im a journalist in washington, dc.

it can be done user.no one cares what degree you have, aslong as you have one.

I got my BA in history about 4 years ago. I wanted to teach but the competition for jobs is too high where I live. Instead I applied at a company that I had done some summer work for while I was in high school. I managed to land a fairly cushy office job. I make my own hours and pull about $40k, which isn't bad in a flyover state.

Like most people have said, it's mainly using your degree for something rather than focusing on a job specific to it. I tend to find that people are impressed by a history degree because they think it makes you worldly or intellectual or something, whereas STEM degrees seem to be what everyone walks through the door with.

Dude being a history teacher is fucking awesome, though. It's easily the best teaching job cause it's easy as shit.

I'm not a history teacher btw, but I would definitely choose history if I had to be a teacher.
Seriously recommend going back into teaching, bud. Teachers make a comfy salary after 5-10 years (at least that's how it is in NYC).

Seconded

This is what one of my history professors said.