Do you ever spend time thinking about your own political systems?

Do you ever spend time thinking about your own political systems?
Not real ones put to use in your country, but your own ones.

There is no reason to think about any other political system, because Han Fei already made the best system that is. Li Si also gets some creds I guess...

Do elaborate.

People act according to their own needs
The role of the state is to make laws that make the People needs that who contribute to the state and most importantly the Ruler
You do this by giving rewards for performing well, but harsh punishment when you fuck up
And to make people not do anything that goes against the ruler, you punish the collective i.e Family, village, superiors, co-workers and maybe even towns to make sure no one fucks up. The individual might not care, but the collective do, so their family and friends will report him, thus you give rewards to people who report, and harsh punishment to those who hold back information

This is how you create a strong society and wipe out all corruption.

Sounds pretty shitty desu

Go back tilling fields dirty pleb.

t. buttblasted nobility

Wow, my thread survived the night.
I'll bump it.

You have a monarch and two elected prime ministers of opposing parties who share equal power. The monarch is kept isolated from politics, literally banned from speaking with politicians. For any decision to be executed, law to be implemented, etc. the two ministers must be in full agreement that they will or won't do it. Each can't just veto a proposal they don't like, they have to sit down and talk it out, and come to an agreement that this is or isn't beneficial.

If they can't come to an agreement, then they go to the monarch, explain the whole situation, and the monarch, untouched by party politics, factionalism and corruption, takes a break from opening hospitals and what have you to make the final decision, based morality and practicality.

I know that in real life this probably wouldn't really work, it's just the system I'm using in a novel I'm writing.

Yes. It's structured according to a non-hereditary segregated caste system with at the top you have accomplished educated people that hold the right to participate in the government, and on the bottom you have literal slaves. It's anti-nationalist, strictly state-atheist and employs a corporatist economy. It would also be more than a bit sexist and racist.

Your position on the caste system doesn't just determine how much power you have but also in what way the law impacts you. People higher on the caste system are more closely monitored and subject to more extreme punishment in order to be held to a higher level of responsibility. The government itself is modelled somewhat like the Roman Republic, and I'd include that lower castes (except slaves) can hold their own significantly less empowered devolved governments so that they can manage themselves according to their own sensibilities.

The aim of the government should be similar to John Stuart Mill's aim for colonialism. To enrich the lower classes gradually until everyone is as personally advanced as the highest caste in a somewhat social Darwinist manner.

Well, I like it.
I think I'll share mine, which I thought I might write about, too.

You have a monarch, raised and educated to be the most efficient ruler he can be, but instead of absolute power, all he gets is to be the head of the senate, of the nation, and to have a few extra votes in the senate.
Also, there would be ministers, who are appointed by the last ministers, based completely upon skill, and departments within those ministries.

Ministry of War; Departments of Police, Border Control, of Firefighting, and the Military.

Ministry of the Post, News, the Census, and Public Entertainment; Departments of Carriage Post(Mail delivered by carriage), Bird Post(Mail delivered by trained birds), the News(Weekly newspaper, with everything said by politicians, word-for-word, information released by the government, recent events, short-stories, puzzles, census data, Etc.), the Census(Makes censuses about everything imaginable), and Public Events(Circuses, plays, other organized public events, Etc.)

Ministry of Health, Education, Museums, and research; Departments of Health(Maintains hospitals and clinics, one in each town), Education(Maintains schools, one in each town), Museums(Maintains museums, might just be one in each big city), and Research(Based in the National University, researches health, history, science, Etc.)

Ministry of Building and Maintaining(Builds and maintains everything built by the government, basically nation construction company); Departments of Roads, Sewers, Public & Government Buildings, and Inspecting.

Ministry of Foreign Affairs; Departments of [Every nation we have relations with]

Ministry of the Treasury and National Bank; Departments of the Treasury, and the National Bank(One in each town).

Ministry of the Courts; Department the Court(One in each town)

Every Minister would participate in the Senate, with a few extra votes.

The Senate would just be elected the people, more specifically, every free man over 25 who was born in the country, to parents both born in the country, who pays taxes, has a job, and owns a home, even a tiny hovel.

The Census Department would grant Voting Licenses to all applicable.

Also, a whole lot of government buildings would be built in every town, like a Federal Mall.

>tfw nobody said whether they liked mine, yet

Well, It´s one of those systems that seem foolproof, at first. Mix the best aspects of both democracy(discussion and compromise) and monarchy(swift legislature making). If you want to make your book more grounded in reality, you are going to have to combine the default negatives into your dream society too.

This reminds me that too many people waste their time thinking of theoretical/utopian political systems when THEY DON'T EVEN UNDERSTAND HOW THEIR OWN SYSTEM WORKS

It's all in good fun, mate.

have you even read Han Feizi?

cause I mean you can't even spell his name bro

>Also, there would be ministers, who are appointed by the last ministers, based completely upon skill, and departments within those ministries.

Who would be overseeing the ministers as they name their successors? I presume this isn't an ideal society given that there's slavery and people living in hovels, so what would keep these ministers from officially retiring, putting cronies in their place, and maintain influence over them?

Beyond that it seems perfectly fine, pretty realistic even. Why is there such a government monopoly though? Extra revenue? I mean, federal malls wtf?

how do you keep a monarch impartial? would a monarch not always vote in his interests? if 2 opposing ideologies had to agree on something to get it done, nothing would get done

Well, former ministers can't have puppets when they're dead.
Anyway, ministers are based on skill, so, if they're good, it doesn't matter whether they retire or not.
And by 'free,' I just think it sounds nicer. Slavery would, ideally, be illegal.
And by 'hovel,' I just mean a man with a small house's vote is just as important as a man in a mansion's.
And by 'Government Mall,' I mean that the Clinic, Post Office, School, Police Station, Etc., would all be built next to eachother, and would be in each town.

Sounds like yet another Chinese autism-fest.
No thanks.

Each pirate chieftain rules his crew and fleet

Booty is divided by 70% as chieftain sees fit, 30% goes into communal pot and is invested into a safety net/large phalic buildings and infistructure

Chieftain has first rape privileges, with the privilege of choice then being passed down the ranks

Raiding is decided by free association of chieftains, but defended of pirate islands is a shared responsibility

Agriculture and economics and all that shit is done by the plebs, pirate lords just take their shit or die trying

kek

>Feizi
Every author in China at the time named their book after their name, in this case, Han Fei. Then they added Zi after it.

I bet this guy is being serious in his advocation of this despotic shit too

Already got semidirect democracy and concordance type government. Afaik no one else uses any of those on a national level.

I agree with . Best examples I can think of societies with two leaders is Sparta (two kings) and Rome (two consuls) and you should study the up and downsides of those systems

He's even got three!

Tell us.

bump

Oh, and change Ministry of Health, Education, Museums, and Research to Health, Education, Museums, Libraries, and Research and add a Department of Libraries.

I rarely think of complete political systems.

I always think of modifications to the existing system in the US.

>have parties nominate three candidates for presidential elections instead of 1, and pick the most popular candidate from the most popular party to be president
>have civil service organizations report directly to Senate subcommittees instead of the president
>have the Speaker of the House and President have equal authority, like a dual consulship
>create a third legislative body in addition to the House and Senate that functions as a direct democracy but requires large majorities to actually pass laws instead of just recommendations
>have federal level politicians take a vow of poverty outside of their government salary and state financed campaigns to remove any conceivable conflict of interest
>have financial rewards for the Senate if they meet specific economic goals
>create a tier of law in between constitutional law and statutory law for official government positions and doctrines
>replace the office of president with a supreme council
>specific, mandatory oaths that every government employee has to say at the beginning of each work day, usually to do with not breaking the constitution
>make Social Security and voting an either/or
>bring back workhouses

I don't think you need firefighting to be handled on a federal level, unless it's wilderness firefighting.

yeah, all ugly women are thrown in a bon fire.

you see this establishes nothing but the hottest fuckiing women on the planet.

i'll call my country Slut Fuck of the United

XXXXXXXDDDDDDD
ELLEMMAYYOOOOOOO

I thought this was president elect Trump's plan already?

OP said this is about making your own one up.

Was that supposed to be funny?
Why try to devolve the thread?

You are obviously an ugly woman.

hey user look it's you. the ugliest bitch in history

No, I just don't want Trump/Anti-Trump shitposting.
There are no women on Veeky Forums.

>>>/eighth grade/

Sacrificial Democracy

Once every two months there is a vote to determine a human sacrifice, whoever gets the most votes is killed.

This would effectively end celebrity culture as we know it.

Pretty despotic desu.

The king is chosen by hand to hand combat. Anyone can challenge the current king for the throne at any time, and the king isn't allowed to refuse. Even if he's a child king.

I really like Plato's Philosopher King idea. I think Plato actually got a lot of shit right, a lot more than anybody realizes.

I like t imagine a traditional monarchy system but the future king/prince is forced to live his youth in a monastery until he's 25 before he's allowed to even think about succeeding his father. That way he learns what it's like to be a commoner as just another monk and learns all the important aspects of Christianity early on. You don't force him to stay, but if he leaves then he can't be the new ruler and someone else will have to be the successor.

When I was a kid I thought it would be cool if all the money smelled really bad that way people would spend it instead of hoarding it to make the economy work. I wasn't a smart kid.

lmao

>When I was a kid I thought it would be cool if all the money smelled really bad that way people would spend it instead of hoarding it to make the economy work. I wasn't a smart kid.
No. No, this is genius.

A Council of 200 elite are voted into office by the public. The Council's job is to give advice to the Leader. Council members are elected for life. When one Council member dies, a new Council Memeber is elected by the other 199 memebers. The leader is voted for by the public, every 5 years the public votes just Yes or No to the current leader. If Yes, the Leader stays in power. If No, a new leader is elected.

>This is how you create a strong society and wipe out all corruption.

bump

Can the leader just ignore the council?

By the way, the country would be divided into townships, based on a big town or city, with smaller towns and villages around it.
The Ministers and Department-heads would select leaders for the local ministry in each township, which would perform the functions of the ministry there, with the Bigger Ministry intervening if they need any help or there are any issues.
And each Local Minister and Local Department-heads would join a council with the Mayors of the towns in each Township, to decide on things.

Also, to, for example, be the Head of the Police Department in, say, Waynesville Township, you'd need to have been a police officer in Waynesville Township, and to be a Minister of War in Waynesville Township, you'd need to have been a Department-Head, in one of the Ministry of War's Departments, in Waynesville Township.
And to be the National Head of the Police Department, you'd have to have been a Local Minister of War who was promoted from a Local Head of the Police Department, unless there are none at the time, in which case, Local Department-Heads would suffice.

I do. I'm tossing around the idea of a democratic feudal society I could elaborate but I'm late the thread so I'll only post if someone's interested.

You reunite a bunch of millenials who don't give a fuck about anything in particular. You give them 30 minutes to discuss about any kind of policy you want to implement in the country. Because they don't give a fuck, their discussion will be pretty vague but also will try to give an optimal and functional answer after the 30 minutes. Of course they will be given tons of information that they won't even look at.
Want to make prostitution legal? ask these bunch of kids, they will probably say yes but with some regulations because why not.
Want to go full /pol/ and kill every single jew in the country? well, some of these millenials may know a jew or two so no.
All these propositions must be signed for at least half of the country once a month.

I am.
Also, what do you think of mine?

Eh.

Also, the order of speaking in Township Councils would be determined by the population of the towns represented.
And towns would be designated like this:
Hamlet-At least 25 people of at least 5 different families.
Village-At least 250 people of at least 20 different families.
Town-At least 750 different people.
City-At least 1500 different people.

Also, all would need that number of people to be reached by second-generation citizens of each town.

By the way, this is a medieval setting, in case you didn't know.

Can some nice guy bump my thread later, while I sleep, please?
Goodnight, Veeky Forums.

>People act according to their own needs
>The role of the state is to make laws that make the People needs that who contribute to the state and most importantly the Ruler
>You do this by giving rewards for performing well, but harsh punishment when you fuck up
>And to make people not do anything that goes against the ruler, you punish the collective i.e Family, village, superiors, co-workers and maybe even towns to make sure no one fucks up. The individual might not care, but the collective do, so their family and friends will report him, thus you give rewards to people who report, and harsh punishment to those who hold back information

I'll give you one, before I sleep.
Passing the torch.

My own political systems? What do you mean?

My ideal would be tiered about like this:
1. Direct democracy, more focused on the town level than the state/province level and more on that level than the national level, but still possible at each level
2. Representatives are directly elected and have term limits (though lax) and fixed districts, forming a Common Council, which acts as a legislative branch of government
3. A few people (4-10) make up a High Council that can pass, block, and enforce what the Common Council passes, forming an executive branch of government, with members elected by national direct election from among the Common Council, regional governors, or existing High Council members
4. Judicial overturn power over the above by the First Court, and recommended (but not strictly required) judicial review of laws passed or being reviewed by the High Council

Rights and privileges would devolve up the chain when in doubt.

Also:
- The Common Council can override a veto by the executive branch through a second vote with a 4/5 majority
- Certain rights (e.g. right to live, right to expression, right to vote, right to defend oneself) are guaranteed in such a way that they cannot be taken away except after the commission of a major crime or by near-unanimous passage of specific legislation repealing them
- A ban on political parties and corporate funding of political campaigns, but no other restrictions on elections
- Votes for representatives are cast in a preferential way, e.g. "I'd prefer Aaron Anderson for the Common Council but Bill Buford would be OK too, just keep that no-good Carl Camford out of it", and the candidates with the highest preference get elected

Thanks, Veeky Forums, and good morning.

A unique government for your own made-up country.

I'll explain it pretty quick. My democratic feudal society would have 1 Monarch/King and many Lords with a crowning constitution that would essentially protect civil rights. The process of establishing the Lords is what I struggle with most but we can assume in a U.S. sized nation there would probably be 200 or so lords spread out over the land. The Lords would be spread over the country having territory based on population. Much like counties in the current system. The Lords would be elected and serve "for life" every 10 years their would be a vote to either dissolve current lordship or maintain the Lord. It's not so much an election more of a yes or no and if no then an election would follow. The kicker is the Lord has absolute authority over his constituency while in power. Each lord also enters an agreement to forcefully remove lords that refuse to step down. The monarchs power is that of foreign affairs and war. That is his only rule. So the king is essentially a general/diplomat. He would be elected by the Lords and would serve until he could no longer rule. So lords control domestic affairs. King controls war. Now obviously their are a shit load of issues this is an off the cuff rendering of this government on a Mongolian basket weaving forum and I'm on mobile but I believe it has its merits. It should also be noted their is a third party to the system as well. The judiciary exists but solely as interpreters of the constitution. When constitutionality of laws or acts put in place by lords came into question the judiciary would review and chose to uphold the law or invoke the other lords obligation to immediately depose the curropted leader. This is an important check to an essentially authoritarian government.

Centralization of all aspects of life is harmful to growth. State sponsored entertainment is guaranteed to be super shitty. I wouldn't say I necessarily hate the idea though. It is essentially a heavily defined more technocratic version of Plato's republic. Or at least I feel there is inspiration for Plato's republic. My personal feelings are though that while some aspects of what you said could be centralized into ministries effectively and to the benefit of society not everything needs to be that way. You'd eventually lose the experts you sought due to stagnation and thus collapse your empire. Consider removing direct oversight and guidance from any ministry that you recognize as requiring growth to succeed.

Well, it's medieval, so I assume it'd be the first newspaper, and we need some way to get information to the voting populace, also, it'd be a good way for intellectuals to get a start, having their story or essay in the Paper.
And I just feel like good organisation for some events would be nice, you know, make sure not only the big cities get festivals, and whatnot.

Also, I see what you mean by stagnation, especially in entertainment and research, but these things just wouldn't really happen much, otherwise.

Also, I find yours interesting.
How would you choose Lords? Could anyone run?

I missed the medieval aspect. My apologies. If that were the case I respect your idea and propose another problem. How would you deal with the massive overhead costs associated with this undertaking. The average citizen in a medieval society not having a sizeable taxable income. Especially in an agrarian society. You'd be looking at massive debts. Would your kingdom be an aggressive imperialistic one where costs could be balanced by imperial gains. Or would you simply levy massive taxes again facing the problem of stagnation or outright regression due to upperclassmen leaving since they would not see much benefit in your particular form of governance.

The Lords would be elected in a Democratic election. Any property owning male could run for office and they would be elected based on how well they represent the population of their county/holdings. The voting population of people over the age of 18 would have to take special care in who they elect seeing as they have power for 10 years. Ideally the holdings would be divided up in a way such that the populations are relatively homogenous in their ideologies.

If I got to start as an absolute monarch, I'd just drain the savings and have slightly higher taxes, and ease into it.
Otherwise, I'd raise taxes a bit, and just really ease into it.

The only bridge to utopia is a tightrope, as they say.

Also, I'd try to encourage mining, sailing, Etc. as alternative professions, and introduce any technology I understand.
Also, build factories!
And emphasise how this will help the average citizen in the near future!
And, if the Nobles aren't a serious threat, take their lands, sell them to the citizens, and take taxes directly from them.

It's already practiced. Look up North Korea for results.

Presidential elections are determined not by popular vote, but unpopular vote.

Citizens vote by writing in one person's name on their ballot. If a person gets one or more votes, they do not continue to the next voting round.

This continues dozens to hundreds of times until there's only one person left, a rando who is so unknown that not a single person voted for them during any of this. They get to be president.

Well, concordance type government means that the executive is divided amongst the political parties according to their strength in parliamentary election. Unlike the "winner takes it all" system dominant in the western world, here every party gets ministers according to their relative strength. Ministers are voted into office by the combined parliament and then have to abandon all party affiliations and work together, dictated by law and tradition.
For smaller countries this is beneficial, as it creates a stable Government where all political views have a representation.

Semidirect democracy means we have Initiative and Referendum. The first one can demand a public vote to make something constitution. You only need so many signatures so this happens, after that it is up for vote and the people decide. This allows to put pressure on Government and Parliament, if something is really bad in society they rather take care of it, or someone else will, likely with a more radical solution.

The Referendum is interesting, as it allows every law passed by Parliament to be put up for public vote. Parliament is encouraged much more to do a good job and make the laws acceptable for all. So there is actually a process in place where all interested groups can utter their opinion on future laws and suggest changes. If a law is unreasonable, it has a good chance to be put up for public vote and get rejected.

Wholly moronic

Which part? And how so?

Is it the Ministers in the Senate? I just want people with more than just a silver tongue to get a good say.
The very specific voting criteria? I might just change that to men who've served in the military or contributed to the Research Department.
It can't be the Census thing.
And I know that the Federal Mall-type thing might be a bad idea, because, if one lights on fire, the whole town is out of services. Realistically, they'd be in completely separate buildings.

Intolerably expensive to implement the amount of direct governance and it would also devolve into cronyism and corruption in terms of succession of posts.

Yeah, the cost is my biggest problem.
Well, there's no term limit, it's just until you die, unless you get voted out by the senate for doing a bad job, so cronyism isn't a big issue, since they'd get voted out for doing a bad job.
As long as they get the job done, I don't care if they were elected for sucking up.

But, yeah, the cost is definitely a huge issue, especially when you consider when I imagine this happening.
What could I shed to lower the costs?

Also, I feel like wholly moronic might be a little bit much.

>What could I shed to lower the costs?
Hmm?

Bump before bed.

Bump after bed.

>wipe out all corruption

>When I was a kid I thought it would be cool if all the money smelled really bad that way people would spend it instead of hoarding it to make the economy work. I wasn't a smart kid.

This is essentially what negative interest rates are.

What is dead may never die.

>Ministry of War; Departments of Police(They now keep firefighting gear with them), of Border Control, and of the Military

>Ministry of the Post, News, the Census, and Public Entertainment; Departments of the Post, of the News, of the Census, and of Public Events

>Ministry of Health, Education, and Museums & Libraries; Departments of Health, of Education(Research now just funded and done in National University), and of Museums & Libraries(A pair in each Township Seat)

>Ministry of Building and Maintaining; Departments of Roads, of Sewers, of Public & Government Buildings, of and Inspecting

>Ministry of Foreign Affairs; Departments of [Every nation we have relations with]

>Ministry of the Treasury and National Bank; Departments of the Treasury, and of the National Bank

>Ministry of the Courts; Department of the Court
I'd raise the money for this, from a starting position as a regular king, by, first, passing a law limiting the amount of money a single family can "rent" out(Have serfs work on); buying all that land now rendered illegal; getting the serfs back to work on it, but directly paying me; sending people out to tell about all the wondrous stuff I'll do, when I make the money, especially clinics, and accept donations; EMPIRE(Since this happens around 1500)

Then, I'd ease into it, first building all the things most useful to the average citizen, like clinics, then move down the line.
Better?

All the time OP. I consider myself a classical liberal in most ways politically, but I've read several arguments against it, such as what a classically liberal state is supposed to do about environmental problems or the tragedy of the commons.

Critiques of my own opinions are actually far more interesting to read than circle-jerking with people who agree with me.

wouldn't negative interest rates mean banks pay you to take out a loan

This is a real thing the Japanese did to major corporations when they were industrializing.

Because """loans""" were politically more appealing than subsidies.

Interesting.

Capracracy is undoubtedly the best system

I've thought of something that makes the government bureaucracy more like a typical corporation. People wouldn't get voted into office, they would be hired into it based off their credentials. The sole purpose of this 'corporation' would be the seamless conduction of government and state affairs; each branch and each employee would be judged by how well they've accomplisehed this. Instead of elections, there would be public audits, where the public decides who stays and who goes based on the work each person and each branch has already done by voting. The longer a person serves at his post, the better his resume, and the more opportunities for advancement up the ladder. People who do an exemplary job would be career politicians because of their merit and not because of corruption. The people with the highest status and most responsibility would only be those with the most experience and most ability. Each level would subject to audit by the populace, especially the top executive post.

I don't know

>The role of the state is to make laws that make the People needs that who contribute to the state and most importantly the Ruler

The ideal system is clearly a socratocracy

Whoever wants something to be done must kill themselves to prove beyond any reasonable doubt they actually believe its correct

Once the ordeal is over it goes to competent authorities who must give their approval and kill themselves to make a point too

this goes all the way to the president who must kill himself after approving them

Literally uncorruptable

find a flaw.

you can't

More.

I think you should kill yourself to put it into action

Capitalism and Communism have the same basic issue: the nation is not placed in a position of adequate importance. In Capitalism, profit comes first; in Communism, the wellness of the collective comes first. Except Capitalism is still much better than Communism because it is not actively AGAINST nationalism, it recognizes the value of hierarchy, and . Both systems are greedy and materialist, actually, but Capitalism strives to materially enrich those who can play its game, and Communism strives to materially enrich everyone, regardless of who they are. Capitalism is not accommodating of weakness, so once again it wins out. But neither system is the best. Fascism is not the answer either - it is simply a nationalist-flavoured version of Capitalism. There is another way, a better way.

Radical Collectivist Nationalism has key strengths over both systems. First of all, it does not believe that everyone is equal. People of other ethnicities are not allowed in the society, and are in fact executed on sight. Those who are more capable are promoted and enjoy more privileges. Second of all, it does not care about "muh gibs" and private property is banned - not to enforce unjust fairness, but because individuals should not strive to any material benefit, and should just focus on glorifying the nation. All leisure is simply the minimum needed to keep a vibrant culture alive and prevent people from wearing out from constant stress, and all aspects of life are regulated by the state apparatus. The family unit is broken up to prevent cells of seditious activity from building up in the society. Men must participate in mandatory military service, and women are required to birth a certain number of offspring, depending on how well they can do other jobs.

Such a culture would effectively be immune to degeneracy.