What's the point of religion when God can just send everyone, right religion or not, straight to Hell if he pleases...

What's the point of religion when God can just send everyone, right religion or not, straight to Hell if he pleases? Why does He have to fulfill any obligation or promises he made to human insects? We, who cannot even understand the basics of his thought process. I find it hard to trust such a being

>I find it hard to trust such a being
One might say you lack faith, that much is clear.

The point of religion is to make sure people who lack critical faculties don't ruin everything.

Yeah but it tricks people who don't lack those critical faculties to do really autistic things that sometimes have drastic consequences.

See: Luther

/thread

You win some, you lose some.

Can YOU come up with a better solution?

Suppse that God is an atheist and he might will himself into existence the second you die and whisk you away to heaven for being an atheist, anti-theist, materialist, simply because he loves you.

I find it hard to not trust such a being.

These convos always go somewhere odious tho.

Yes. A massive education system and media network that enforces the current acceptable moral opinions through repetition. The smart people will see that they can bend the rules or modify it to better fit their life, and the dumb people will follow like sheep as necessary.

Oh wait, that's exactly what we have and it works just fine.

Not much different from religion, except the lack of permanent written rules and a centralized authority means that it can be abused more easily.

You know, like it is.

Written rules and centralized authority are just as susceptible to abuse as things decided on organically by many people. That's really the issue: Any system or set of ethics devised by human beings will be corrupted and abused. Not may be, WILL. So the question really lies in how much value do you hold in individuality and right to self-governance. I would rather be free while society destroys itself, not a slave while some dickhead powermonger destroys society instead.

>God can just send everyone, right religion or not, straight to Hell if he pleases

that is the point of religion.

it's not a value trade, it's awe.

You are correct, but I think the religious approach is harder to corrupt, as it is not based on the word of the head of a state, but rather on the word of a higher being. Or at least thats how it's sold.

I think that what makes it a superior system is that people will refuse to accept changes that seem contradictory to the rules they originally were taught, or at least a lot more people than in a system based off personal opinion or whatever like we're using right now.

In Christianity the bible is the maximum authority, not the pope, that's why a ton of people won't accept the pope's word when it contradicts the words of the bible, you just don't see this being too impactful because religion itself has lost it's power all over the world during the last few decades.

IMO I think using this system of "the rules" combined with a mixed goverment composed of democratically elected representants and a non-democratically elected ruler who's authority is still below that of "the rules" makes for the best kind of goverment.

What if god created the universe but that is the extent of his power, a masterful builder but not all powerful.

I wonder what kind of things scientists and philosophers talk about in Heaven/Hell.

What kind of mysteries do they have to solve? What questions are left unanswered to them?

None because heaven and hell don't exist. When you die that's it.

>he thinks the material extent of his spirit is all that exists
Oh boy, wait till resurrection bud

Energy and matter are not created or destroyed, only transformed.

boi that sounds pretentious as fuck tbqh but seriously tho.

Assigning meaning to fact because of my bias The Thread

Religion is supposed to scam you into being nice to people besides gays.

My advice is be good because you feel good and don't do bad because you'll feel bad because others will be feel bad. That was Abraham Lincoln's philosophy apparently and mine too.

>the current acceptable moral opinions through repetition
Which are literally Christian. Are atheist fags literally retarded? Literally 95% of western values are derived from Christianity. Go read a book.

t. I somehow know what happens after death even though I have never died
Go tip your fedora elsewhere

It doesn't matter if you trust him or not, you can't opt out of his system.

That's all humans ever do, don't come here acting all superior about it.

It is a metaphor. Any one action cam damn you from the light of life. Pretty true imho.

this